Forums > Model Colloquy > Tattoos on art nude models - advice/opinions?

Photographer

AJ_In_Atlanta

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Well if they are good she may find work in a more alt market, but most of the high end  art photographers shoot what clients want and that is natural (no tats, no aftermarket work, no grooming).  It very rare I have seen any signs of tats at any art show or exhibit I have been to.

Jul 09 12 10:56 am Link

Photographer

Art of the nude

Grand Rapids, Michigan, US

P I X I E wrote:
I do art nudes and I have tattoos. It depends on the photographer's preference. Most of whom I've worked with didn't care.

I care, and it's a negative.  But a minor one, except in extreme cases.

There are a vast array of factors, and unless one has a fabulous reputation or a fabulous budget, you make compromises.

That said, it depends on the details, and as noted, it's usually a minor factor.  All of these models have multiple, or large, tattoos, and worked out very nicely for my purposes (18+ links)
https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/p … 4#28043354
https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/p … 7#29087704
https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/p … 2#28043062
https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/p … 66#9210466
https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/p … 1#16169171

Jul 09 12 11:26 am Link

Photographer

Art of the nude

Grand Rapids, Michigan, US

CRUIKSHANK PHOTOGRAPHY wrote:
I like no tattoos and I like heavily tattooed (ie. full sleeve, chest piece, big stuff). It's the small or sporadic tattoos that I find distracting. I'm just not really a fan of small tattoos ever. With large tattoos they can become the focus point of an image which isn't always a bad thing. They can be incorporated into a theme or whatever. If a tattoo isn't significant enough to really add to the pic then I will probably edit it out anyways which is a pain in the ass. My advice to anyone thinking about getting a tattoo is always go big, or don't get tattooed at all. I want to see commitment when I see a tattoo!

Small tattoos can often be functionally the same as none, so if you like none, why would that be a problem?

Jul 09 12 11:28 am Link

Photographer

Carlos Occidental

Los Angeles, California, US

New Century Studio wrote:
The serious fine art print collectors that my exhibition prints are marketed to, find ink to be a major distraction from the esthetic qualities of figurative images, and have no interest in any type of "alternative" styles.

OP, read this twenty times to your model friend, and have her commit it to memory.

Jul 09 12 11:31 am Link

Photographer

Carlos Occidental

Los Angeles, California, US

DareImagesArt wrote:
Ally, she should be fine. There are plenty of Oz models on Mm with tattoos and they alll seem to get work. She should be be able to use it to her advantage if she builds the right folio.

Really?  For art nude work?  Do these images sell?  Who is buying them?

Jul 09 12 11:34 am Link

Photographer

DAN CRUIKSHANK

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Art of the nude wrote:

Small tattoos can often be functionally the same as none, so if you like none, why would that be a problem?

.  I was thinking more along the lines of when they have a tattoo here and there... Tough to come up with a variety of poses that will cover a tramp stamp, small rib tattoo, and a wrist tattoo all at the same time. It really comes down to whether or not the tattoo is any good. If the ink is good then I would still consider the model for an art nude... And I rarely find a small tattoo that I would consider good ink.

Jul 09 12 11:42 am Link

Photographer

S

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

Carlos Occidental wrote:

Really?  For art nude work?  Do these images sell?  Who is buying them?

Mine mostly sell to people who are either modified themselves, or who enjoy that look.  They fly off the walls if exhibited at tattoo or piercing shops, for example.  Alternately, anthology publications often either do a tattooed theme, or are open to tattooed subjects, as in the case of the next two books I'm in.

I have no doubt the market is significantly smaller than for subjects with no visible body modifications.  Some people dig it, though.  smile

Jul 09 12 11:44 am Link

Photographer

Light and Lens Studio

Sisters, Oregon, US

Personally, my preference is for unblemished and unpierced skin.  The reason being that I strive to create art nude images that are "timeless".  There should not be contemporary, faddish, alterations that tie them to a certain period of history.  That said, I do shoot art nudes with models who have tattoos and/or piercing if I am motivated by their 'look' as individuals.  Sometimes I have them cover the tattoos with makeup, sometimes I remove them with Photoshop. 

I have had one model become upset that I removed her tattoos with photoshop and insisted that I remove the credit for her when I published the photo. 

There are a number of photographers on MM and elsewhere who create outstanding fine art alternative images and don't seem to mind if the model has tattoos or is covered with them.  It's a matter of taste and individual preference.  Anyway, if I really like the model and see potential in what we can create, it's not a deal breaker for me.

Jul 09 12 11:58 am Link

Model

P I X I E

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Sita Mae wrote:
Mine mostly sell to people who are either modified themselves, or who enjoy that look.  They fly off the walls if exhibited at tattoo or piercing shops, for example.  Alternately, anthology publications often either do a tattooed theme, or are open to tattooed subjects, as in the case of the next two books I'm in.

I have no doubt the market is significantly smaller than for subjects with no visible body modifications.  Some people dig it, though.  smile

Yeah, some of my art nudes have been in art expos in the past. My tattoos were visible on the photos. Gawd, what was the photographer thinking? roll tongue

Jul 09 12 12:12 pm Link

Photographer

Bare Essential Photos

Upland, California, US

AJScalzitti wrote:
Well if they are good she may find work in a more alt market, but most of the high end  art photographers shoot what clients want and that is natural (no tats, no aftermarket work, no grooming).  It very rare I have seen any signs of tats at any art show or exhibit I have been to.

This!

Gabby

Jul 09 12 12:21 pm Link

Photographer

Jhono Bashian

Cleveland, Ohio, US

Sita Mae wrote:
Personally, I love them.  The more the better.  smile

I agree 100%
hope to be shooting a tattooed  chick this coming weekend... sleeves, story board on her back, a serpent scrolled around her leg, nipples and clit pierced.. 
sorry piercings are off topic

Jul 09 12 12:22 pm Link

Model

P I X I E

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Jhono Bashian wrote:

I agree 100%
hope to be shooting a tattooed  chick this coming weekend... sleeves, story board on her back, a serpent scrolled around her leg, nipples and clit pierced.. 
sorry piercings are off topic

Why would piercings be off-topic? They're a body mod like tattoos. smile

Jul 09 12 12:26 pm Link

Model

Model MoRina

MacMurdo - permanent station of the US, Sector claimed by New Zealand, Antarctica

The OP has not answered regarding what his friend's goals are - doing trade shoots as a hobby or making a living off ART modeling.  Again - big difference.

There is no question that somebody, somewhere is interested in shooting girls who are heavily tattooed.  The question is how limited is the model's market with them.

Jul 09 12 12:37 pm Link

Photographer

Silver Mirage

Plainview, Texas, US

Art nudes for most people means starting with a blank canvas. I expect most art photographers will see her tattoos as a negative. Most, but not all.

Most likely she can find some art nude work, perhaps quite a bit if she's in an large city. She can probably find a lot more if she is open to some degree of fetish work -- bondage, S&M, domme, etc. (Remember, you don't have to live the lifestyle to pose it.) There is a pretty large market for models in that area and tattoos may be a plus for some work.

Best of luck to her.

Jul 09 12 12:57 pm Link

Photographer

Rays Fine Art

New York, New York, US

Rays Fine Art wrote:
Just to put in some perspective from the photographer's point of view, tattoos are always a problem because they inevitably become the focus of the picture, just as in the case of a fashion shoot, the picture is of the dress, not the model.  If the model has a lot of tattoos, especially if they are unrelated and/or spread all over the body, it becomes impossible to compose a picture at all.  Imagine trying to record a violin sonata with a kazoo, a musical saw, and a calliope in the background.  It doesn't work

That said, while tattoos generally will limit employment, it's not always the case.  sometimes, if it's a well thought out tattoo it can enhance the picture or become the focus of the picture.  And, too, there's no real consensus as to what makes "fine art".  While most "fine art" photographers won't touch a tattooed model, some love them.  Some will work around the problem with things like shadows, body paint, draping or digitally altering the image. But your friend shouldn't count on that.  With so many unmarked models out there, there's little reason for a photographer to work around a problem that he can avoid altogether.

Which brings us to what the model can do to make herself employable.  Certainly if your friend is set on shooting fine art nudes, she should investigate some of the cover-up makeup products.  There may be something here: https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1RNPN_enUS416

Jul 09 12 04:59 pm Link

Photographer

Heels and Hemlines

Southern Pines, North Carolina, US

MoRina wrote:
There will always be a photographer around to shoot a girl with a decent figure for trade, and more will do so if she is willing to pose nude. 

Now, add in money changing hands from the photographer to the model, and it changes everything regarding the standards of the photographer.  They can afford to be pickier, and will choose to pay the models who more closely match their preferences.  Some don't mind tattoos, but the majority do.

Thank you. That is a very important point that usually gets lost in these threads.

Speaking for myself, I don't mind tattoos if we're shooting on trade. But tattoos are the number one reason why I turn down models for paid shoots.

Jul 09 12 05:07 pm Link

Photographer

MerrillMedia

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

I wouldn't use her for art nudes. If I'm shooting art nudes, its about what I create in capturing a model's body in a particular way, not the art of someone else plastered all over her body.

Jul 09 12 05:13 pm Link

Model

Poppy - Chicago

Chicago, Illinois, US

Kent Art Photography wrote:
She is unlikely to be successful;  anything that breaks up the lines and flow of the body is bad.

Cite your sources behind that statement.  CREDIBLE sources.  Anyone can say majority but who can really prove that? Just because some photographers don't want ink doesn't mean that ALL art nude photographers want clean bodies.

For the record, I have a gorgeous tattoo on my right shoulder and I love it, the photographers I work with love it, and if someone out there doesn't love it then that's their issue not mine.  For what it's worth, I have done art nudes too.

For some reason, this thread is reminding me of a friend I used to know...gorgeous girl, got paid well to shoot all sorts of things, but she did confide in me that she would cut herself "to damage the merchandise."

I think it's important to remember that regardless of what genre one is modeling in, the human form is art in and of itself.

Jul 09 12 05:50 pm Link

Photographer

Bare Essential Photos

Upland, California, US

MerrillMedia wrote:
I wouldn't use her for art nudes. If I'm shooting art nudes, its about what I create in capturing a model's body in a particular way, not the art of someone else plastered all over her body.

So true!

Gabby

Jul 09 12 05:57 pm Link

Photographer

Art Silva

Santa Barbara, California, US

Ally JH wrote:
Hey there, just a quick question on behalf of a friend whos looking to get into modelling, so not on here as of yet.

She is interested in getting into artistic nude work (not glamour/playboy style) but is quite heavily tattoed, ie sleeves and a couple on legs, feet and back I think. But is otherwise fairly natural looking - no fake tans, cosmetic surgery, bleached out hair.

Anyway, question being would her tattoed look impact negatively on getting art nude work? Is it more desireable to have a more natural look or would it not make a big difference?

I couldn't really give her any advice on this subject and whats more desireable for the genre, so any advice would be greatly appreciated I'm sure.

Cheers!

For fine-art nude work, I wouldn't hire her. The tattoos would be to distracting for what I do, it would overpower the composition.
Also shadow play, the way light and contours of the body interact would be muted by tons of ink work, plus it's no longer anonymous at that point... unless I want to feature the tattoos as a personal editorial of the model.

Jul 09 12 06:00 pm Link

Photographer

G Images

Lexington, Kentucky, US

Larissa  Bodnar wrote:

Cite your sources behind that statement.  CREDIBLE sources.  Anyone can say majority but who can really prove that? Just because some photographers don't want ink doesn't mean that ALL art nude photographers want clean bodies.

For the record, I have a gorgeous tattoo on my right shoulder and I love it, the photographers I work with love it, and if someone out there doesn't love it then that's their issue not mine.  For what it's worth, I have done art nudes too.

For some reason, this thread is reminding me of a friend I used to know...gorgeous girl, got paid well to shoot all sorts of things, but she did confide in me that she would cut herself "to damage the merchandise."

I think it's important to remember that regardless of what genre one is modeling in, the human form is art in and of itself.

Describing your own situation still brings things back to the same issue about identifying "credible" sources. The photographers with whom you have worked and who you report have loved your tattoo can be counted. The number of photographers who have looked at your portfolio, seen the image of your tattoo, and then decided to not contact you and to not offer you paid work can not be identified and counted.

Jul 09 12 06:17 pm Link

Model

Jen B

Phoenix, Arizona, US

She is unlikely to be successful;  anything that breaks up the lines and flow of the body is bad.

Hi,
What if they work with the flows and the lines of the body? I have two peices that were drawn on and created to go with my lines and curves. Over 1000 hours of artwork.
Any difference?
Jen

Jul 09 12 09:33 pm Link

Model

Kaitlin Harleene

Rahway, New Jersey, US

As a heavily tattooed model (a quarter sleeve, a huge piece on the inside of my left arm, writing on my both sides of my ribs, and a small tattoo on my hip) I can say that it definitely does effect all types of work. But if your friend is really trying to do modeling, she'll find her niche, just like any other tattooed model.

After years of not having tattoos (and not really liking the modeling I was doing) I worked with the fact that I had to change something in order to do what I want. If you friend is heavily tattooed, chances are she won't want to work with people who are SO against tattoos that they won't hire her. She'll meet the right people and get the right work REGARDLESS OF HER TATTOOS.

Being a petite model, I actually find I get more work with my tattoos. They help my stand out. Most photographers that I have worked with constantly are high lighting my tattoos.

Jul 10 12 10:55 am Link

Photographer

DMesser Photography

Oceanside, California, US

I shoot tatooed girls even though I don't have any myself.  I do see the beauty in tats, but also it is different from my natural nudes or glamour shots.  If she wants to go professional, I think she will find more limits in where she can be shown, such as car and tat mags.  A lot of mags don't want girls with tats.  It is up to her, but a lot of photogs should will shoot her and a lot won't.

Jul 10 12 11:13 am Link

Model

Isis22

Muncie, Indiana, US

My most popular and best-selling art nude photograph does not show my tattoos. I am not sure if that is a coincidence or not but I don't plan on any more tattoos right now and I would like to get one of mine removed.

Tell your friend to look at the alternative modeling market because I think she would be the exception and not the rule.

Jul 10 12 11:17 am Link

Model

Koryn

Boston, Massachusetts, US

I can only give you my experience, as an art model with tattoos (not heavily, but what I have is definitely large and noticeable). I lived partially, and for periods of time completely, on the income from doing art nudes, fetish and (non-mainstream) glamour work for several years, and the fact that I had tattoos never seemed to negatively influence my ability to get bookings, or to remain actively networked in the online modeling/photography community. I traveled throughout the US, and did reasonably well for myself, despite having those modifications.

Relying primarily on amateur, beginner and hobbyist photographers for bookings --- most didn't care, as long as the model was experienced and photogenic. What mattered far more than being tattooed, or not tattooed, was ability to show up on time, sober, with an open mind and a positive attitude. Most of those guys contend so frequently with the inconvenience of flakes that having models actually show up, happy and ready to work, was their primary priority, making other factors such as body mods, insignificant. They just want people to shoot who will be easy-going, on time, relatively attractive, and professional in their working habits.

While I wouldn't say that I had my "pick" of photographers for TFP, I definitely shot with plenty of people whose work was very good, and did not care that I had tattoos. There was never a lack of good trade available to me. In some ways, having a flat chest, but comparatively large hips with short legs (body disproportion), limited me far more than having tattoos did, since many people select models based on body proportions, over other physical features.

Honestly, whether or not your friend will be successful will be based mainly on her own persistence, determination, time spent doing unpaid shooting and attending networking events, as well as patience in developing an outstanding portfolio that will market her effectively. It took me almost two years building a nude portfolio through TFP work to start getting paid offers, but once that started happening, the work was always available if I sought it out.

Jul 10 12 12:55 pm Link

Photographer

ChrisPhoto

Leominster, Massachusetts, US

P I X I E wrote:

I have 4. They're not tiny either, except for the one on my wrist. The one on my calf is going to be big. I asked the photographers I do art nudes with if it was going to make them not shoot with me, and their reply was that they didn't care.

Yeah, as long as I know about them I can incorporate them, or work around them. If I really don't want them in the image I will tell the model that I am going to photoshop them out. If that is a problem for her, then it would be a deal breaker.

Jul 10 12 01:07 pm Link

Photographer

Gene Cannon

Wendell, North Carolina, US

I would rather the model have no tattoos whatsoever! At the most a couple of small unobtrusive tattoos that can be easily covered. It seems that it is getting harder to find models without them. A tattoo that the model may like may be totally hated by another person.

Jul 10 12 01:16 pm Link

Photographer

Digital Photo PLUS

Lorton, Virginia, US

Yup. For the type of work I do I can't use models with tattoos for that reason.

Jul 10 12 01:22 pm Link

Model

Mali Krystal

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Artistic nudes, not so sure

But alternative modelling yes yes yes! Tattoos are only a big problem if your interested in high fashion, etc. But the Alternative side is growing every year. Most of the models in Australia that are tattooed are getting lots of work.

But thats just my opinion smile

Jul 10 12 04:26 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Schilling

Chicago, Illinois, US

This was on Craigslist today in the Chicago area...
There IS hope.

http://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/crg/3071574799.html

Jul 10 12 04:57 pm Link

Photographer

Abbitt Photography

Washington, Utah, US

Since she already has the tattoos, there's really no decision to be made.   All she can do is give it a go and find out how many offers she gets.

Jul 10 12 06:06 pm Link

Photographer

testingphotography

Seattle, Washington, US

Abbitt Photography wrote:
Since she already has the tattoos, there's really no decision to be made.   All she can do is give it a go and find out how many offers she gets.

This is the truth, too late to undo the tats so have her test the market and see how she does.

Jul 10 12 06:42 pm Link

Photographer

Rays Fine Art

New York, New York, US

Gennaver wrote:

Hi,
What if they work with the flows and the lines of the body? I have two peices that were drawn on and created to go with my lines and curves. Over 1000 hours of artwork.
Any difference?
Jen

Sure it makes a difference, at least to many photographers and depending on what the photographer is striving for.  I've shot with two models that I can think of off the top of my head where I was able to not only include the tattoo but to feature it.  The difference here was that it was a single tattoo, not a whole body full of random doodling, and that the tattoo had been well thought out and flowed naturally, as much a part of the body as any muscle or bone.  But it's rare, very rare and there are plenty of photographers who won't ever consider altering their original plan if the model deviates in any way from their initial vision.

As far as the number of hours that went into the tattoo, that's important to the person making the tattoo and to the person wearing it, but to anybody else, not so much.

All IMHO, as always.

Jul 10 12 06:53 pm Link

Model

Jen B

Phoenix, Arizona, US

CRUIKSHANK PHOTOGRAPHY wrote:
I like no tattoos and I like heavily tattooed (ie. full sleeve, chest piece, big stuff). It's the small or sporadic tattoos that I find distracting. I'm just not really a fan of small tattoos ever. With large tattoos they can become the focus point of an image which isn't always a bad thing. They can be incorporated into a theme or whatever. If a tattoo isn't significant enough to really add to the pic then I will probably edit it out anyways which is a pain in the ass. My advice to anyone thinking about getting a tattoo is always go big, or don't get tattooed at all. I want to see commitment when I see a tattoo!

Hi,
One of my two is big, (starting at navel and wrapping around hip and down and back several times before straightening out along my lower thigh. This photographer had some fun 'chalking' it up but, we weren't highlighting the ink.
https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/p … 4#29111414 I added it to my port because of this thread.
Jen

Jul 10 12 09:30 pm Link

Model

Jen B

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Rays Fine Art wrote:

Sure it makes a difference, at least to many photographers and depending on what the photographer is striving for.  I've shot with two models that I can think of off the top of my head where I was able to not only include the tattoo but to feature it.  The difference here was that it was a single tattoo, not a whole body full of random doodling, and that the tattoo had been well thought out and flowed naturally, as much a part of the body as any muscle or bone.  But it's rare, very rare and there are plenty of photographers who won't ever consider altering their original plan if the model deviates in any way from their initial vision.

All IMHO, as always.

Hi,
I'm a non-doodled tattoo'd person, (large single piece on the back and large single peice wrapping around from navel, to hip, back and down front and back of thigh. I thank you for supporting what I was hoping by your reply.

Jen

Jul 10 12 09:37 pm Link

Model

P I X I E

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

freestyleimages wrote:

Yeah, as long as I know about them I can incorporate them, or work around them. If I really don't want them in the image I will tell the model that I am going to photoshop them out. If that is a problem for her, then it would be a deal breaker.

I have listed my tattoos on my profile. If people don't bother reading through, book me, then complain about my ink, there's nothing I can really do about it but tell them it was all over my profile.

Jul 11 12 07:44 am Link

Model

P I X I E

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

ShivaKitty wrote:
I can only give you my experience, as an art model with tattoos (not heavily, but what I have is definitely large and noticeable). I lived partially, and for periods of time completely, on the income from doing art nudes, fetish and (non-mainstream) glamour work for several years, and the fact that I had tattoos never seemed to negatively influence my ability to get bookings, or to remain actively networked in the online modeling/photography community. I traveled throughout the US, and did reasonably well for myself, despite having those modifications.

Relying primarily on amateur, beginner and hobbyist photographers for bookings --- most didn't care, as long as the model was experienced and photogenic. What mattered far more than being tattooed, or not tattooed, was ability to show up on time, sober, with an open mind and a positive attitude. Most of those guys contend so frequently with the inconvenience of flakes that having models actually show up, happy and ready to work, was their primary priority, making other factors such as body mods, insignificant. They just want people to shoot who will be easy-going, on time, relatively attractive, and professional in their working habits.

While I wouldn't say that I had my "pick" of photographers for TFP, I definitely shot with plenty of people whose work was very good, and did not care that I had tattoos. There was never a lack of good trade available to me. In some ways, having a flat chest, but comparatively large hips with short legs (body disproportion), limited me far more than having tattoos did, since many people select models based on body proportions, over other physical features.

Honestly, whether or not your friend will be successful will be based mainly on her own persistence, determination, time spent doing unpaid shooting and attending networking events, as well as patience in developing an outstanding portfolio that will market her effectively. It took me almost two years building a nude portfolio through TFP work to start getting paid offers, but once that started happening, the work was always available if I sought it out.

Jul 11 12 07:45 am Link

Model

A M Y B

Providence, Rhode Island, US

Ally JH wrote:
Hey there, just a quick question on behalf of a friend whos looking to get into modelling, so not on here as of yet.

She is interested in getting into artistic nude work (not glamour/playboy style) but is quite heavily tattoed, ie sleeves and a couple on legs, feet and back I think. But is otherwise fairly natural looking - no fake tans, cosmetic surgery, bleached out hair.

Anyway, question being would her tattoed look impact negatively on getting art nude work? Is it more desireable to have a more natural look or would it not make a big difference?

I couldn't really give her any advice on this subject and whats more desireable for the genre, so any advice would be greatly appreciated I'm sure.

Cheers!

most weeks i get more work than i can manage to even look through! its about attitude and work ethic as much as a specific look most times, and your friend is only holding herself back the longer she waits. tattooed or bare, time is her biggest enemy! get her in the studio asap! smile

Jul 11 12 07:52 am Link

Photographer

Doll Face Imagery

Oceanside, California, US

I personally am in LOVE with tatted models. I seek them out over non-tatted ladies. I love to photograph women who have made art pieces of their bodies! I too am pretty covered in tats and had lots of jobs when I was modeling before I started being the photog instead of the subject!

Jul 11 12 08:29 am Link