Forums > Critique > Does your Avatar make me want to see your port?

Photographer

Peach Jones

Champaign, Illinois, US

Kendra from Canada wrote:

Thanks, my Avi is from my first ever Commercial shoot and I'm just giving it exposure!!  Haha, I change my Avi every few days!
thx

thank for the info Kendra from Canada. Best of luck to you with your modeling career, and your eyes are amazing!

Jul 27 12 09:26 pm Link

Model

Kayleigh Kay

Chicago, Illinois, US

Does mine?

Jul 27 12 09:26 pm Link

Model

Kristen Rice

Chicago, Illinois, US

What about my avatar?  I've just added some new images to my port and wasn't sure which to use as my eye-catcher.  Did I fail miserably or would you take a peek around?

Jul 27 12 09:29 pm Link

Photographer

Peach Jones

Champaign, Illinois, US

Kayleigh K wrote:
Does mine?

probably not

Jul 27 12 09:41 pm Link

Photographer

Peach Jones

Champaign, Illinois, US

Kristen Rice wrote:
What about my avatar?  I've just added some new images to my port and wasn't sure which to use as my eye-catcher.  Did I fail miserably or would you take a peek around?

Your present avatar? Well.......no. You do have some shots in your port that would get my attention however. This is one of them:
https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/26708308

Jul 27 12 09:44 pm Link

Model

Kristen Rice

Chicago, Illinois, US

Thanks for the feedback!  I really appreciate it!  smile  (That is a pretty popular shot...)

Jul 27 12 09:54 pm Link

Photographer

Light and Lens Studio

Sisters, Oregon, US

Yes, please.

Jul 27 12 10:07 pm Link

Photographer

Peach Jones

Champaign, Illinois, US

Light and Lens Studio wrote:
Yes, please.

Um.....maybe..........her eyes intrigue me. Without the pop of her eyes I would say no

Jul 27 12 10:10 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Pretty Deadly Stylz

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I'm not sure, currently I have a more seasonal summer image posted. Thought it might be nice, instead of dark and moody, which is also good, just not as summer to me.

Jul 27 12 10:16 pm Link

Model

Angel Marie

Sacramento, California, US

Okay, So I am just starting to get a portfolio together and I need peoples opinions about my photos. please be honest smile

Jul 27 12 10:16 pm Link

Photographer

somethingproductions

Colorado Springs, Colorado, US

maybe? only you would know wink

Jul 27 12 10:22 pm Link

Photographer

Peach Jones

Champaign, Illinois, US

Pretty Deadly Stylz wrote:
I'm not sure, currently I have a more seasonal summer image posted. Thought it might be nice, instead of dark and moody, which is also good, just not as summer to me.

If you used one the the bottom shots on your present avatar.....like the one on the left is best, then I would say yes. Collages IMO don't work too well as avatar's because a person has to look too long to figure out what is going on. If I have to look longer than .5 seconds, then I am moving on

Jul 27 12 10:25 pm Link

Photographer

Peach Jones

Champaign, Illinois, US

Angelika Marie wrote:
Okay, So I am just starting to get a portfolio together and I need peoples opinions about my photos. please be honest smile

Your present avatar.....not really. But it shows you have some nice curves and legs. I like this a bit better:
https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/p … 7#29330437

Get some shots that show a bit of color. Or it you go B/W make sure your best features are highlighted. And smile a bit more. You have a good smile.....us it, as right now it looks like you are always mad and depressed. Or depressed and mad.....take your pick.

Jul 27 12 10:30 pm Link

Photographer

Peach Jones

Champaign, Illinois, US

somethingproductions wrote:
maybe? only you would know wink

I like the creativity. If I had time then I would click and see. If I was in a hurry then no

Jul 27 12 10:30 pm Link

Model

Virginia Ann

Eastland, Texas, US

I wanna play

Jul 27 12 11:01 pm Link

Model

rosemerry

Glendale, California, US

I would like to know , thanks

Jul 28 12 01:28 am Link

Photographer

Oscar Partida

Palm Springs, California, US

me

Jul 28 12 01:33 am Link

Photographer

punkuate

Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom

I'm in!

Jul 28 12 01:41 am Link

Model

Leila Aly

Exton, Pennsylvania, US

I hope so.

Jul 28 12 03:52 am Link

Photographer

OpenMind Photography

Madison, Alabama, US

Peach Jones wrote:

100% yes!

WOW! Thank you!

Jul 28 12 04:40 am Link

Model

Jessica Yoga

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

Would love some professional advise. Thank you

Jul 28 12 04:48 am Link

Photographer

Martin St James

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

Yup
smile

Jul 28 12 05:18 am Link

Photographer

Neil Snape

Paris, Île-de-France, France

My current avi?

Jul 28 12 05:25 am Link

Photographer

Raw and the cooked

London, England, United Kingdom

Consider mine?

Jul 28 12 05:43 am Link

Photographer

Black Stallion Photos

Amsterdam, New York, US

I wonder...

Jul 28 12 05:51 am Link

Model

Veronika Vitkina

Brooklyn, New York, US

What do you think of mine?

Jul 28 12 06:34 am Link

Photographer

__V__

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

Look at mine please. I have not changed it in several weeks.

Jul 28 12 06:44 am Link

Model

Tom Thompson

Chicago Heights, Illinois, US

It does, but it's playing on the fence.

Jul 28 12 06:48 am Link

Model

Maria Susanti

Banyuwangi, Jawa Timur, Indonesia

Peach Jones wrote:

Maria, you look like a little toy doll in your avatar. The answer is no

omg haha, i'll take that as a compliment bcause you mention 'doll' in it
thankyouu =]

Jul 28 12 07:21 am Link

Photographer

LookattheBirdie

Austin, Texas, US

try mine?

Jul 28 12 07:24 am Link

Photographer

OmnyRa

Cincinnati, Ohio, US

Moi?

Jul 28 12 07:25 am Link

Photographer

Peach Jones

Champaign, Illinois, US

Virginia Ann wrote:
I wanna play

can't really see you......no

Jul 28 12 07:52 am Link

Photographer

Peach Jones

Champaign, Illinois, US

rosemerry wrote:
I would like to know , thanks

nice and bold......yes

Jul 28 12 07:53 am Link

Photographer

Peach Jones

Champaign, Illinois, US

Oscar Partida wrote:
me

depends on how much time I have......maybe  50/50

Jul 28 12 07:54 am Link

Photographer

Peach Jones

Champaign, Illinois, US

punkuate wrote:
I'm in!

no

Jul 28 12 07:56 am Link

Photographer

Byron Chua

Manila, National Capital Region, Philippines

smile

Jul 28 12 07:57 am Link

Photographer

Peach Jones

Champaign, Illinois, US

Leila Aly wrote:
I hope so.

I'm a sucker for gorgeous and exotic eyes.......yes

Jul 28 12 07:57 am Link

Photographer

Merry

London, England, United Kingdom

Let me know if you're still going! :B

Jul 28 12 07:59 am Link

Photographer

Peach Jones

Champaign, Illinois, US

Jessica Yoga wrote:
Would love some professional advise. Thank you

Well, I will tell you what I think. That is pretty much all I can do, and you can choose what to do with what I tell you.

I have avatars that will catch my eye when I post on another person's photo, thread or even on the main page, some avatar's will catch my eye. What makes those Avatar's stand out? Here is a short list:

1. bigger is usually better. Far away photos don't work on a small avatar. They have to grab my attention in about 1/4 of a second at most, and if my eye/brain has to figure out the avatar photo because you are too small in it or it is too busy, then it will not catch my eye

2. Colors.....bright colors catch my eye better. White (not so much a color but you get the idea) and red do the job the best. If you do a B/W then make sure that it really pops me in the face and says "HEY!! Look at me!!"  That is why I use the avatar that I use. It stands out. If the photos was smaller, it would not stand out. Do you agree?

3. Photos with curves and lines work very well. I will quantify this up front by saying I am a huge heterosexual. Just the way I am. We all have things about the opposite sex that really catch our attention. Look at the previous comments I have made......especially the ones that say "100% yes". There is something in the photo that sets the female apart.......legs, curves, behind, eyes, ........those catch my eye alot. And if you can highlight them, then I will more likely look at your port.......and maybe even list  or want to work with you if even possible.

4. Males. As I said before, I am a heterosexual. So you are already at a disadvantage if you are a male model. However, I will look more if you have a very creative avatar (because I like creativity no matter what your sex is), and I also enjoy beauty. Beauty can be male or female, but once again I inherently believe that females have more inherent beauty. Just the way I am.

OK, now to your avatar. I do like your avatar. But if I was quickly scanning a page, yours would not stand out. Once again, all this is my opinion, and someone else may give you a different opinion. So value this as much as you choose. It is B/W and doesn't hit me in the face and say "look at me". In order to do that you are going to need a serious flexibility shot as your avatar and I don't see one of those in your port as of now. These are the ones I think would perhaps make me want to see more of your work if I saw one of these as your avatar:

https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/p … 7#28866637
the skin glow from the perfect sun, your slightly exotic lips and some cleavage make me want to see more. It is very very beautiful, and reflects your true beauty perfectly

https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/p … 5#11908135
your leanness if really evident in this shot! The brightness of your shirt and chair along with the black contrast come very close to slapping me in the face and wanting me to see more. The only problem is you would perhaps be too small in the avatar, so you would need to crop the photo to show you more/better

https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/p … 0#12431150
your eyes, love your eyes (remember what I am a sucker for.......)

https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/p … 9#11741919
Did I mention your eyes? Yes, them again and your coy little smile that will get anyone's heart racing.

https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/p … 4#11741934
I don't think this is a great shot for an avatar because the composition and lighting are not good. But it shows you have some great legs......duh!! use them, they can be a fabulous selling point for you.

OK, I hope I haven't wore you out. You have done some great work and I very much respect your fitness ability. Let me know if you have any more questions that you want an essay on  ;-)

Jul 28 12 08:25 am Link

Photographer

Peach Jones

Champaign, Illinois, US

OmnyRa wrote:
Moi?

oui

Jul 28 12 08:26 am Link