Forums > Critique > Your Worst image. Ask and I'll tell you why.

Model

Dae Daniels

Posts: 401

Los Angeles, California, US

Dan Harland wrote:
Thanks for this article, Im open to your criticism!

Hey there Dan, welcome!

looks like you're off to a good start! You're a handsome guy, good measurements, and seem photogenic. As far as your current portfolio is concerned and making it a little stronger, there are a few photos that I would get rid of.

First and foremost the variant images rule. You have three photos in your top row that are the same. you only need one. This is the strongest of the three. The first one is ok too, so pick the one you like best, and get rid of the other two!
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120901/15/50428a3bd1141_m.jpg

the others are fine for now, until you start building to your portfolio more with stronger images. However you DO have 4 photos where you are wearing the same shirt and pants. They are varied just enough with the use of a tie, and jacket, and settings that you can keep all of them for now. Though you need to seperate them. two of them are sitting right next to eachother in your port. And when you start adding new photos come back and ask me again, and we'll get rid of a few more! wink

let me know if you have any other questions! thanks!

~Dae~

Oct 03 12 04:38 pm Link

Model

Dae Daniels

Posts: 401

Los Angeles, California, US

Jean Pierre Betancur wrote:
Critique me please ! Always looking for thoughts on my work

Hey there Jean Pierre!!

Lets clean up this portfolio of yours shall we!!? wink

ok, lets start with variant images! you only ever need one of something. So lets get rid of this photo, the other one just like it is stronger.
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/121001/20/506a5d4b10ec8_m.jpg

we're going to get rid of this one too, as the other is better. The pose is more interesting .
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/121001/20/506a5eb330237_m.jpg

this one needs to be deleted. You have 3 with these black undies on that all look the same, only one with the fancy background. this is by far the weakest.
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/121001/20/506a5c39075f7_m.jpg

And not at the moment, but when you begin putting up more shots, and building your portfolio you should get rid of the two headhshots on the bottom row (They are more like high school senior photos, and don't do your professional modeling portfolio any justice. its just not the place for them). And the shot below. its not a terribly strong, and you look much better in other photos.
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/121001/20/506a5c01d6a3a_m.jpg

Now, normally i would tell you to lose one of the photos with that fancy background but they are both strong shots in your port right now. What you need to do is move the one on the left to a different spot in your port. one reason is because its right next to a photo where you are doing the EXACT same pose. it looks very strange. And while we're talking about posing... most of your port consists of two different poses (hands on hips, in pockets, etc) Try studying some mens fashion mags, other ports, to get some ideas for variations for future shoots. You want your "book" to look versatile and varied wink

this one is cool cause its different from everything else in your port
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/121001/20/506a5ba80c493_m.jpg

this is my favorite. its different, and has great personality!
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/121001/20/506a5c6d1e890_m.jpg

So thats that! With a little clean up, it'll look great! Feel free to come back and visit when you've got some new work up! i'd love to see it... and the direction you're heading. Use that personality in your photos, it will be appreciated, and make you unique! Hope this helped, and let me know if you have any more questions! big_smile

~Dae~

Oct 03 12 05:20 pm Link

Model

Dae Daniels

Posts: 401

Los Angeles, California, US

Brianna Banana wrote:
I would love a critique! I think I know which will be the first choice to take down, but I would love feedback.

Brianna,

thanks for visiting the forum, lets see if we can't make your port a little stronger! You don't have a bunch of variant images which is good, and don't violate any of the major rules of portfolios... so that leaves us with just getting rid of the weak images so that your portfolio will be much more impressive!

lets get rid of this one. it just doesnt make any sense. You're kneeling naked next to a llama airplane. hmmm... its also not in great focus
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120930/21/506918783d391_m.jpg

you have several of these in your port. this weird angle. this photo needs to go because it really tiny in your port, and because of the angle you mostly only see the top of your head/face. not much as far as artistic value. you have better stuff.
http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/27033795

this one is kinda up to you... i know that people have listed it, but its really odd to me. it looks like your breasts are growing out of your neck
http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/16171103

you may hate me for this one... however this photo does NOT belong in your professional portfolio. i know that you like it for personal reasons, but its a snapshot of you in a hallway wearing your boyfriends/husbands dress blues. You may be proud of him, and its a cute picture. this is not the place for it. The only man ive ever been in love with was a marine i was with for 3 years. i have photos of us together and of me in his uniforms. my professional portfolio is not the place for those photos, sorry chica!!
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/091101/21/4aee679af1f1b_m.jpg

the other photo of the two of you is posed enough to be able to keep it, however you know its not a terrible strong photo smile

and again, not a fan of these images of the top of your head. this one offends me the least though, and i dont mind it in your port as much as the other two!
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120208/10/4f32c4b1ab18d_m.jpg

on to the positive stuff! this is a super cute image! fun! good composition.
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120208/10/4f32c4b6eb997_m.jpg

this is a lovely nude, really like the lighting here!
http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/24589095

great artistic shot!
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/100324/22/4baaf524dc788_m.jpg

and you have a couple nice commercial headshots! On another note... I noticed that you have listed that you only accept paid bookings? I would suggest taking that down, so that you might be able to accept more TFP in order to build up the foundation of your body of work. The stronger your portfolio is the more people will be willing to hire you, and pay you for your experience and expertise. But you'll appear more professional if you work with more professional photographers in order to add to your portfolio. I would still be studying others work of  fine art and artistc nudes (if thats the area you're passionate about and get booked for the most), as i think to continue to study and learn through your career can only enhance your talent and help with the longevity of your work. I have been llamaing a VERY long time, and still study my own work, and others (there are still llamas I look up to), so that I can push myself to the limits of my talent and artistic expression. wink

I hope this has helped! All the best to you, and please let me know if you have anymore questions!

~Dae~

Oct 03 12 06:06 pm Link

Photographer

ikonas Boston

Posts: 671

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Tiana Miliani wrote:
Please critique me? :]

Hello Tiana, thanks for stopping by and welcome to MM. You have a nice tall leggy figure. As you are a rookie you have worked with just one or two photographers, so understandably you posted multiple images from the same scene. Your port is ok now, but when you have new, better work available to post, delete the following:

This one is not flattering to your beauty unlike the sister image.
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120830/11/503fae3d68d24_m.jpg

While I like your straight hair and wardrobe, the background is unprofessional looking as it seems to be a bedsheet, dragging the image down.
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120222/10/4f4537bd4a16c_m.jpg

It is understandable because you worked with just one or two photogs to get started and you end up filling the 15 available slots with variant images from the same couple of shoots.

In your case I see five or six images featuring the same blue wall and flowered bed cover.


As far as my favorites, this one shows good emotion, nice wardrobe and great location.
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120222/10/4f453819d6962_m.jpg
The sister image below, even though it has more comments, is not flattering to your legs.

This one has good photographic quality, pose and great attitude.http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120229/22/4f4f1353b6bb6_m.jpg
Best of luck!

Oct 03 12 06:11 pm Link

Photographer

ikonas Boston

Posts: 671

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Now its your turn Dae ...

Oct 03 12 06:12 pm Link

Photographer

ikonas Boston

Posts: 671

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Dae Daniels wrote:
Brianna,

you have several of these in your port. this weird angle. this photo needs to go because it really tiny in your port, and because of the angle you mostly only see the top of your head/face. not much as far as artistic value. you have better stuff.
http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/27033795

~Dae~

Great review Dae, however I disagree with your suggestion  to delete this particular nude photo as it is one of my favorites for the angle, light and sensuality.
Sorry we are confusing you Brianna sad
http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/27033795

Oct 03 12 07:11 pm Link

Model

Dae Daniels

Posts: 401

Los Angeles, California, US

ikonas wrote:

Great review Dae, however I disagree with your suggestion  to delete this particular nude photo.It is one of my favorites for the angle, light and sensuality.
Sorry we are confusing you Brianna sad
http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/27033795

ohhhhh julius! I mostly don't like that she has several images like this from this angle in her port. And i dont like how small it looks in her portfolio. it doesnt command attention, and feels awkward to me. Its not my favorite... its not my least favorite. Ultimately though, how often do people actually delete the photos we suggest to them. 15%? haha. wink Alas, all we can do is give our opinions based on our professional experience in the industry. Whether they want to follow our advice, or even agree with us at all remains to be seen big_smile

love, me.

p.s. i'm gonna start disagreeing with YOUR critiques now, just out of spite. hehe wink

Oct 03 12 08:24 pm Link

Photographer

ikonas Boston

Posts: 671

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Dae Daniels wrote:

ohhhhh julius! I mostly don't like that she has several images like this from this angle in her port. And i dont like how small it looks in her portfolio. it doesnt command attention, and feels awkward to me. Its not my favorite... its not my least favorite. Ultimately though, how often do people actually delete the photos we suggest to them. 15%? haha. wink Alas, all we can do is give our opinions based on our professional experience in the industry. Whether they want to follow our advice, or even agree with us at all remains to be seen big_smile

love, me.

p.s. i'm gonna start disagreeing with YOUR critiques now, just out of spite. hehe wink

Hmmm, by disagreeing with you I just opened up a Pandora's box smile

Oct 03 12 08:29 pm Link

Model

Dae Daniels

Posts: 401

Los Angeles, California, US

ikonas wrote:

Hmmm, by disagreeing with you I just opened up a Pandora's box smile

Hell hath no fury Julius!!! big_smile

Oct 03 12 08:31 pm Link

Photographer

Beautifully Soft Focus

Posts: 529

Peoria, Illinois, US

Well, I think y'all both have great insight ... so ... let it go. My port has already benefited wink. BTW ... the 1st 30 cut was easy ... the next 30 not so much ... only cut 15 and added two new ones smile ... and so it goes.

Be easy,

Alvin

Oct 03 12 08:41 pm Link

Photographer

ikonas Boston

Posts: 671

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Atelier57  wrote:
Well, I think y'all both have great insight ... so ... let it go. My port has already benefited wink. BTW ... the 1st 30 cut was easy ... the next 30 not so much ... only cut 15 and added two new ones smile ... and so it goes.

Be easy,

Alvin

Dae, I suggest you take on the next phase of helping this fine gentleman and talented photographer to even further improve his port.

Oct 03 12 08:48 pm Link

Model

Dae Daniels

Posts: 401

Los Angeles, California, US

Atelier57  wrote:
Well, I think y'all both have great insight ... so ... let it go. My port has already benefited wink. BTW ... the 1st 30 cut was easy ... the next 30 not so much ... only cut 15 and added two new ones smile ... and so it goes.

Be easy,

Alvin

haha, ohhhhh Alvin, we're just goofin around! wink

I shall offer my own opinion on your port if you'd like?

~Dae~

Oct 03 12 08:57 pm Link

Photographer

Beautifully Soft Focus

Posts: 529

Peoria, Illinois, US

Hey Dae, I love to know what you think ... take your best shot smile

Oct 03 12 09:25 pm Link

Model

Dae Daniels

Posts: 401

Los Angeles, California, US

Atelier57  wrote:
Hey Dae, I love to know what you think ... take your best shot smile

Alvin, thought i could help you narrow a little more? But first, you just put up two new photos, and they are breaking rule number 1, cause they're variants! pick one new one and get ride of the other silly pants!

there are two of these too. I like this one the least
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/081228/11/4957d113030cb_m.jpg

i would get rid of this. she's posing awkwardly and its a variant. the other one is better
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/100614/20/4c16f124af821_m.jpg

this is a variant too. i would lose this one, the other has better lighting and the pose is more captivating. if you can't bare it, at least seperate them.
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/111029/22/4eace7b0bc66b_m.jpg

delete this one because the dress doesnt fit her at all. gives it an amateur and unrealistic feeling.
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/110713/17/4e1e3687560b4_m.jpg

lose this one. its a variant, and the other one is better. she looks bored, and it isnt very flattering to her.
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/101120/20/4ce89d0e0c76e_m.jpg

another variant. she sort of looks dead in the eyes. not much soul coming through here.
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120718/20/50077e74b231b_m.jpg

this one could stand to go. dead in the eyes again, one eye is kinda lazy, but most distracting is the bad makeup. the foundation was not matched properly so her face looks yellow in comparison to her chest. bad makeup is a pet peve of mine, lol. an entire shoot can be ruined for a photographer and model because of bad makeup. its happened to me before. hmm
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/100614/21/4c16fe8deed14_m.jpg

now i realize you may be having a hard time getting rid of some of these photos cause you're attached, they are personal favs, or they have a bunch of comments and lists. fortunately now MM allows you to hide them instead of delete them so you can always bring them back with comments and all if you really want too. I just did a revamp of my port as well and deleted 12-15 photos, and it can be hard letting some stuff go. but ultimately its best for you and your body of work as a whole! wink

to ease the pain here are my favs! lol

this one is lovely! very nice!
http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/27444636

this ones nice. i like the set, and the wardrobe. also like the model. has a different feel than most of your other work... kinda strays a bit from the more glamour arena
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/110116/19/4d33be05a5dbf_m.jpg

of course this is another fav. You need more models of this skill level in your port, and your work would REALLY sing!
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120613/18/4fd9435c2c810_m.jpg

A lot of photos i critique on as being my least favorite aren't even due to the photog half the time. its the model sucking! cause you could have perfect lighting, composition, the set and wardrobe could be right on... but if you have a mediocre model that doesnt understand how to pose your perfect photo is going to be mediocre.
You have a large portfolio, and have shot quite a few different models, i'm sure you have worked with some "models" that just didnt do your concept justice. it can be very frustrating. The problem is that every pretty girl thinks she can be a model, but doesnt understand how much work it actually is to be good. And then YOUR work suffers because of it. Not to mention the flake factor! So i really have to hand it to you guys, because i've heard some model horror stories. And i feel for you artists that have an idea in mind, and you're passionate about it, and you have all this expensive equipment, and you spend all this time trying to make it a reality... then you get a model in front of your camera to make it happen, and you're all excited, and then... nothin. cause she just doesnt get it, or doesnt care to get it. hmm

those are my proudest moments... The look on a photographers face, and the excitement they feel and exude when I've taken exactly what they dreamed up in their mind and made it a reality. Or when they realize i'm just as passionate about my work as they are... and work very hard to exceed their expectations. Its a good feeling, and one of the main reasons i do what I do! wink

I digress... just wanted you to know that I understand!!
smooch!

~Dae~

Oct 03 12 09:57 pm Link

Photographer

Beautifully Soft Focus

Posts: 529

Peoria, Illinois, US

Ouch Dae ... that last cut was painful , particularly this image:

http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/100614/21/4c16fe8deed14_m.jpg

cuz at the time I took it ... I thought it was the most beautiful photo I had ever taken and could never top it. ... but no pain ... no gain  huh;)  Mission accomplished ... Your critique was simply outstanding, insightful and most helpful many thanks again

Be easy,

Alvin

Oct 03 12 10:46 pm Link

Model

Dae Daniels

Posts: 401

Los Angeles, California, US

Atelier57  wrote:
Ouch Dae ... that last cut was painful , particularly this image:

http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/100614/21/4c16fe8deed14_m.jpg

cuz at the time I took it ... I thought it was the most beautiful photo I had ever taken and could never top it. ... but no pain ... no gain  huh;)  Mission accomplished ... Your critique was simply outstanding, insightful and most helpful many thanks again

Be easy,

Alvin

Alvin!

   I understand, it can be hard to let go! But isn't it wonderful to be able to surpass what you thought you could accomplish!? wink

~Dae~

Oct 04 12 10:22 am Link

Photographer

RachelReilly

Posts: 1730

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Ok go :-)

Oct 04 12 10:26 am Link

Model

Corey OP

Posts: 36

Virginia Beach, Virginia, US

Dae Daniels wrote:

Corey,

   this is a bit difficult because you're just starting out, and your portfolio isnt very big. Also, the majority of your port are variant shots which is generally a no no, but in your case if you got rid of all your variant images you would have 3 photos left!! hmm

You have to start somewhere I realize, everyone does! You should see some of my first shoots! haha. bleck! But even if you're having a friend take some shots in your backyard, you can still do things like change your outfit, and stand in different areas with different setting, lighting, etc. This helps for now. Also, don't go crazy with the smoking images! This used to be ok, but people get a lot of flack for that nowadays since its not considered "cool" anymore to be a smoker. and i've seen people bash beautiful artistic images for having a cigarette in the shot.

I digress... I will tell you what images you should get rid of right now, and then as you build you can continue to delete weaker shots.

this needs to go. you have much better shots in the same outfit, the cigarette, the lighting, and the shot is fuzzy.
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120927/19/50650869a5e26_m.jpg

same reasons pretty much.
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/121003/03/506c171cb6f41_m.jpg

I'm not gonna tell you to delete anymore right now. After you work more, and put new photos up you may come and ask me again! wink
And you know what your best photo is... you have it up as your avatar. Good lighting, composition, interesting angle and natural relaxed pose. You are on the right track here!

Good luck, and I look forward to hearing from you in the future, and seeing how you're coming along! wink

~Dae~

Thanks so much dae!

Oct 04 12 11:01 am Link

Photographer

ikonas Boston

Posts: 671

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Rachel Reilly wrote:
Ok go :-)

Hey Rachel,

At the first glance it is evident you are a competent photographer, you light your subject well and the model provides decent poses. However, since you are just starting out, you have only one model to show from a single shoot. That is understandable as you are a rookie even though you are violating rule [1] of my original post. This will change of course as you work with more models.

What troubles me is that you list yourself as fashion photographer, however there is no correlation to fashion photography and your work which I would classify more as protrait or model work. At this point, before you get those real fashion shots, just call yourself portrait or glamour photographer. Hey, you might like it and stay that way or decide other genre suits you.

I could pick several as my favorites, but for now I chose this one for pose, expression, accessories and beauty.
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/121003/19/506cfb6f6d667_m.jpg
When you get more images, start deleting the other ones.
Best of luck!

Oct 04 12 07:50 pm Link

Photographer

RachelReilly

Posts: 1730

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Thank you ikonas, that was lovely:-)
I haven't started working with professional models yet so the girls in my port are just friends.

But I realllllyyy  want to get into fashion! Next week I have a helmut newton - ysl le smoking themed shoot and I am super excited! ( this time the friend is tall thin and awkward at least she can try to fake it haha)

Oct 04 12 08:13 pm Link

Model

IDiivil

Posts: 4110

Los Angeles, California, US

Sure, I'm interested.

Oct 04 12 08:16 pm Link

Photographer

ikonas Boston

Posts: 671

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Rachel Reilly wrote:
Thank you ikonas, that was lovely:-)
I haven't started working with professional models yet so the girls in my port are just friends.

But I realllllyyy  want to get into fashion! Next week I have a helmut newton - ysl le smoking themed shoot and I am super excited! ( this time the friend is tall thin and awkward at least she can try to fake it haha)

Enjoy the show and when you post new images, feel free to stop by for a second review.

Oct 04 12 08:35 pm Link

Makeup Artist

R Roberts

Posts: 78

Los Angeles, California, US

I'll have a go big_smile

Oct 04 12 08:50 pm Link

Model

Dae Daniels

Posts: 401

Los Angeles, California, US

IDiivil wrote:
Sure, I'm interested.

Christine! welcome!

What a pleasure to view your photos, and advise you on your port, you have lovely work! Congrats on your upcoming move to LA as well! I've been in the LA area for 8 years now, and know that it can be both exciting and nerve racking wink
but lets move on to getting rid of some of the weaker photos in your port in order to make it really shine!

First, you have several photos that are variants of the grey sheet background shot. The hard part is that they are all good shots... if i were to get rid of one it would be this one. However its not because i dont like the shot. You just have three of them with that crinkly grey background. It might not be as noticeable to others though since you've done the smart thing which is seperate all of them. There are other photos i would get rid of first though...
http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/25406464

I would delete this one because the composition is not incredible. The pattern is interesting, but it feels like one of your more amateur shots, and it really doesnt do your beauty justice compared to many of your others. Its a weaker shot in your port.
http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/28554096

again, just one of your weaker images, and the pose doesnt flatter your body. not a stand out photo in your work
http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/30148680

this is a cool raw photo, however i feel your body of work has moved beyond this, and whether meaning to or not the collage looks a bit sloppy.
http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/27612297

I would not have made this into a collage at all. It would have been a more powerful photo had you just put up the bottom shot by itself since you are doing the same pose basically in both. I do like that bottom shot though, the blue is great, and the pose is strong!
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120606/21/4fd02b1e1b56e_m.jpg

on the flip side! this is awesome! very captivating... everything comes together in this shot
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/110703/12/4e10c9114f41c_m.jpg

GREAT shot! grabs you. unique pose, good composition... again, everything works here!
http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/30110654

great artistic shot! lots of personality in the pose
http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/26516991


There are plenty more that I really like! You have a strong portfolio, and you know what you're doing. You simply need to get rid of a few of your weaker shots so that your portfolio as a whole will really stand out. At the very least if you got rid of the two shots right next to eachother that i mentioned above, would make a big difference!

hope this helped! please let me know if you have any other questions! wink

~Dae~

Oct 04 12 09:27 pm Link

Model

IDiivil

Posts: 4110

Los Angeles, California, US

Dae Daniels wrote:

Christine! welcome!

What a pleasure to view your photos, and advise you on your port, you have lovely work! Congrats on your upcoming move to LA as well! I've been in the LA area for 8 years now, and know that it can be both exciting and nerve racking wink
but lets move on to getting rid of some of the weaker photos in your port in order to make it really shine!

First, you have several photos that are variants of the grey sheet background shot. The hard part is that they are all good shots... if i were to get rid of one it would be this one. However its not because i dont like the shot. You just have three of them with that crinkly grey background. It might not be as noticeable to others though since you've done the smart thing which is seperate all of them. There are other photos i would get rid of first though...
http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/25406464

I would delete this one because the composition is not incredible. The pattern is interesting, but it feels like one of your more amateur shots, and it really doesnt do your beauty justice compared to many of your others. Its a weaker shot in your port.
http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/28554096

again, just one of your weaker images, and the pose doesnt flatter your body. not a stand out photo in your work
http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/30148680

this is a cool raw photo, however i feel your body of work has moved beyond this, and whether meaning to or not the collage looks a bit sloppy.
http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/27612297

I would not have made this into a collage at all. It would have been a more powerful photo had you just put up the bottom shot by itself since you are doing the same pose basically in both. I do like that bottom shot though, the blue is great, and the pose is strong!
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120606/21/4fd02b1e1b56e_m.jpg

on the flip side! this is awesome! very captivating... everything comes together in this shot
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/110703/12/4e10c9114f41c_m.jpg

GREAT shot! grabs you. unique pose, good composition... again, everything works here!
http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/30110654

great artistic shot! lots of personality in the pose
http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/26516991


There are plenty more that I really like! You have a strong portfolio, and you know what you're doing. You simply need to get rid of a few of your weaker shots so that your portfolio as a whole will really stand out. At the very least if you got rid of the two shots right next to eachother that i mentioned above, would make a big difference!

hope this helped! please let me know if you have any other questions! wink

~Dae~

Thanks for taking the time to reply! You're actually the first person ever to vocalize the fact I have three of that series in my portfolio, haha smile Now that someone's called me out on it, though, I have to agree. One has to go! Went with the blindfold one in agreement with you since I hear the least compliments on that particular shot. People seem to like the dead stare of the other ones.

For now, I'm keeping the fishnet pattern one and collage shots... the former because of who shot it and the latter because I want to wait for some strong film shots to come back from a week ago or so to replace them before removing smile I've been hearing mixed reviews on the former shot, though, so I'm going to keep it in mind for when I cycle out more images in the future. I just can't bring myself to do it yet, however D:

But yes, thanks for taking your time to reply and give such a great assessment. I do definitely agree with you on several points and am happy to have had such constructive feedback. You're wonderful!

Please let me know if I can ever help in any way in return smile

Oct 04 12 09:48 pm Link

Model

Dae Daniels

Posts: 401

Los Angeles, California, US

IDiivil wrote:

Thanks for taking the time to reply! You're actually the first person ever to vocalize the fact I have three of that series in my portfolio, haha smile Now that someone's called me out on it, though, I have to agree. One has to go! Went with the blindfold one in agreement with you since I hear the least compliments on that particular shot. People seem to like the dead stare of the other ones.

For now, I'm keeping the fishnet pattern one and collage shots... the former because of who shot it and the latter because I want to wait for some strong film shots to come back from a week ago or so to replace them before removing smile I've been hearing mixed reviews on the former shot, though, so I'm going to keep it in mind for when I cycle out more images in the future. I just can't bring myself to do it yet, however D:

But yes, thanks for taking your time to reply and give such a great assessment. I do definitely agree with you on several points and am happy to have had such constructive feedback. You're wonderful!

Please let me know if I can ever help in any way in return smile

Christine!! you are so very welcome! Makes me happy when I can really help someone out, and they appreciate it! It's also wonderful to meet like minded people that are just as passionate about their work as i am, its refreshing when someone gives a shit!! haha wink not to mention an intelligent, well spoken, and professional model (they seem to be in short supply at times).

I understand that its hard to get rid of some photos, I myself just deleted around 12 from my own portfolio that were just not strong enough anymore. I feel there may be a few more that i could stand to get rid of... but its hard when looking at your own work is it not!!?

I would love to take you up on your offer and hear your opinion on if you feel there are anymore photos in my portfolio that I could stand to let go of.

Thanks again Christine! You're fabulous!! big_smile

~Dae~

Oct 04 12 10:17 pm Link

Photographer

ikonas Boston

Posts: 671

Boston, Massachusetts, US

IDiivil wrote:
Thanks for taking the time to reply! You're actually the first person ever to vocalize the fact I have three of that series in my portfolio, haha smile Now that someone's called me out on it, though, I have to agree. One has to go! Went with the blindfold one in agreement with you since I hear the least compliments on that particular shot. People seem to like the dead stare of the other ones.

For now, I'm keeping the fishnet pattern one and collage shots... the former because of who shot it and the latter because I want to wait for some strong film shots to come back from a week ago or so to replace them before removing smile I've been hearing mixed reviews on the former shot, though, so I'm going to keep it in mind for when I cycle out more images in the future. I just can't bring myself to do it yet, however D:

But yes, thanks for taking your time to reply and give such a great assessment. I do definitely agree with you on several points and am happy to have had such constructive feedback. You're wonderful!

Please let me know if I can ever help in any way in return smile

We appreciate your post review feedback by sharing your thoughts. I agree with you for not removing the polaroids. Even though they are variants and against rule [1], their presentation is unique by giving the feel that these snapshots are posted together on a fridge or a cork board.  And your "dress in shadows" by the briliant photographer Neil Snape is one of my favorites. Glad you decided to keep it. http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/28554096

I would propose removing this one, as the image, unlike your other work, has amateurish feel of a snapshot, there is some fuzziness and no unique concept behind. http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/29766552

Dae, you provided a superb review and I agree with your other recommendations. Your favorite image would also be one of my picks.

Oct 05 12 07:22 am Link

Photographer

ikonas Boston

Posts: 671

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Rachel Reilly wrote:
Thank you ikonas, that was lovely:-)
I haven't started working with professional models yet so the girls in my port are just friends.

But I realllllyyy  want to get into fashion! Next week I have a helmut newton - ysl le smoking themed shoot and I am super excited! ( this time the friend is tall thin and awkward at least she can try to fake it haha)

"I haven't started working with professional models yet so the girls in my port are just friends."

Your "friend" is beautiful and showing some great talent for modeling smile

Oct 05 12 07:51 am Link

Photographer

ikonas Boston

Posts: 671

Boston, Massachusetts, US

PhoenixFX wrote:
I'll have a go big_smile

While I dont consider myself an expert in MUA art, I suppose model and photographer port organization basics and rules spelled out on page 1 of this forum extend to your field as well.

As such, I would propose immediately removing your second image as it is a variation of your first image. This goes against rule [1]. While the first illustrates superb makeup, this one shows a smeared mess. I just dont see the point of displaying this here. Or am I missing here something?
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/121001/21/506a6b0ce517d_m.jpg

Another one I would propose removing is this. I dont perceive any unique makeup here and it is a collage - rule [3]
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120920/17/505baf418044e_m.jpg

While I generally advise against collages, I think there is room in MUA ports to use collage/composites to show before and after effect. You have not done so, but you should consider doing so in the future.

Lastly I propose deleting most of your gory special effect stuff, Rule [5] - blood. I know that you want to tell your audience that you do special effects, but cant you find any less gory images to illustrate your skills?
http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/29627040

As far as my favorites, this one shows great work in traditional makeup:
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/121005/03/506eb041c68f1_m.jpg

And I love the creativity and beauty here:
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/080217/18/47b8bc9d3f5cd_m.jpg

Oct 05 12 08:15 pm Link

Model

Megh Klassen

Posts: 127

St Catharines, Ontario, Canada

Sure, why not. smile Let me know

Oct 05 12 08:41 pm Link

Model

Dae Daniels

Posts: 401

Los Angeles, California, US

ikonas wrote:

While I dont consider myself an expert in MUA art, I suppose model and photographer port organization basics and rules spelled out on page 1 of this forum extend to your field as well.

As such, I would propose immediately removing your second image as it is a variation of your first image. This goes against rule [1]. While the first illustrates superb makeup, this one shows a smeared mess. I just dont see the point of displaying this here. Or am I missing here something?
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/121001/21/506a6b0ce517d_m.jpg

Another one I would propose removing is this. I dont perceive any unique makeup here and it is a collage - rule [3]
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120920/17/505baf418044e_m.jpg

While I generally advise against collages, I think there is room in MUA ports to use collage/composites to show before and after effect. You have not done so, but you should consider doing so in the future.

Lastly I propose deleting most of your gory special effect stuff, Rule [5] - blood. I know that you want to tell your audience that you do special effects, but cant you find any less gory images to illustrate your skills?
http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/29627040

As far as my favorites, this one shows great work in traditional makeup:
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/121005/03/506eb041c68f1_m.jpg

And I love the creativity and beauty here:
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/080217/18/47b8bc9d3f5cd_m.jpg

I'm afraid I have to completely disagree with the Julius' review. And what better way to confuse the hell out of someone!! haha.

The "smeared mess" in photo number two (the variant) is intentional, and I totally get it. I appreciate the intended effect. I just wish the model had done a better job in portraying the "hurt" that should have been felt, as the makeup is intended to show someone in pain... in a beautiful artistic way of course.

As far as the collage goes. I don't mind collages as long at they're done right (I have a couple in my port),. In my opinion this is a decent collage. However as you are a MUA it wasnt really necessary as you only needed the close up to show the makeup, because you really can't see much from far away. Although this could have been out of your control if this is the shot/collage the photographer gave you from the shoot to use.

A makeup artist needs to show different variations of makeup. not just heavy makeup. They also need photos that seem like the model is wearing no makeup at all. this would be a "natural" look in which they simply look fresh and clean. And you have a good variation in your portfolio.

Makeup artists don't traditionally display before and after work in their portfolios, this is reserved for mostly photoshop and retouch experts.

Mostly I disagree with deleting your horror effects. You Are very good at them, and living in hollywood as you are, you can get quite a lot of work from your excellent gore shots. I myself am a huge thriller/horror fan, and greatly appreciate the kind of skill it takes to make such makeup look realistic. My brother is a writer/director, and has done some horror/thriller shorts, and i know that he would love to have someone like you on board one of his projects. This is absolutely a part of your portfolio that needs to stay. I'm sorry to Julius that he's turned off by such work... but i'm afraid its a personal preferance, and he isnt being realistic about the industry you're trying to be a success in. I'm sure alot of people may be turned off by viewing your images, and alot of people will think they're amazing (which they are). You're talented, let your freak flag fly!! haha.

The funniest part is that the last photo julius listed is actually my least favorite, but its not even because of the makeup... its that damn background! That blue background is awful i'm afraid, and takes attention off your makeup work because it looks amateur... like a high school senior year picture. If you could change that background you'd be allll set!! wink

and thats MY opinion! big_smile

~Dae~

p.s. sorry Julius, we were bound to disagree sooner or later, haha. Besides, I figured I owe you from the last couple critiques I did that you disagreed with! big_smile
smooch!

Oct 05 12 09:26 pm Link

Makeup Artist

R Roberts

Posts: 78

Los Angeles, California, US

Dae Daniels wrote:

I'm afraid I have to completely disagree with the Julius' review. And what better way to confuse the hell out of someone!! haha.

The "smeared mess" in photo number two (the variant) is intentional, and I totally get it. I appreciate the intended effect. I just wish the model had done a better job in portraying the "hurt" that should have been felt, as the makeup is intended to show someone in pain... in a beautiful artistic way of course.

As far as the collage goes. I don't mind collages as long at they're done right (I have a couple in my port),. In my opinion this is a decent collage. However as you are a MUA it wasnt really necessary as you only needed the close up to show the makeup, because you really can't see much from far away. Although this could have been out of your control if this is the shot/collage the photographer gave you from the shoot to use.

A makeup artist needs to show different variations of makeup. not just heavy makeup. They also need photos that seem like the model is wearing no makeup at all. this would be a "natural" look in which they simply look fresh and clean. And you have a good variation in your portfolio.

Makeup artists don't traditionally display before and after work in their portfolios, this is reserved for mostly photoshop and retouch experts.

Mostly I disagree with deleting your horror effects. You Are very good at them, and living in hollywood as you are, you can get quite a lot of work from your excellent gore shots. I myself am a huge thriller/horror fan, and greatly appreciate the kind of skill it takes to make such makeup look realistic. My brother is a writer/director, and has done some horror/thriller shorts, and i know that he would love to have someone like you on board one of his projects. This is absolutely a part of your portfolio that needs to stay. I'm sorry to Julius that he's turned off by such work... but i'm afraid its a personal preferance, and he isnt being realistic about the industry you're trying to be a success in. I'm sure alot of people may be turned off by viewing your images, and alot of people will think they're amazing (which they are). You're talented, let your freak flag fly!! haha.

The funniest part is that the last photo julius listed is actually my least favorite, but its not even because of the makeup... its that damn background! That blue background is awful i'm afraid, and takes attention off your makeup work because it looks amateur... like a high school senior year picture. If you could change that background you'd be allll set!! wink

and thats MY opinion! big_smile

~Dae~

p.s. sorry Julius, we were bound to disagree sooner or later, haha. Besides, I figured I owe you from the last couple critiques I did that you disagreed with! big_smile
smooch!

Hahah! Ok, so both of you are awesome and I appreciate your critiques. Yes the second variant picture of smeared makeup was done intentionally per the request of the photographer doing the shoot. However, since I had done a nice job of making the makeup beautiful to begin with, i had a slight adherence to smearing it too much and losing its intergrity altogether. But it was intentional due to a story board idea the photographer had of a pinup model spiraling down from the highs of fame...hence the lasting shot in the bathroom hugging the toilet in a drunk stupor, lol.

As far as the collaged piece goes, I can easily change that and upload just the top shot. That's not problem and I agree it might make a better statement in and of itself.

Yes I do special FX, and yes it is something I am trying to get more work in and establish myself in the industry as an artist. And since I'm a self-taught artist, I think it's important to show that I can do FX work as good as someone who went to school for it, at least in my opinion. So in regards to those pics, I'm probably not going to remove them. If you were a special FX photographer, would you remove your special FX pics? I do however intend to have better quality shots done, so at least they'll look better in my port in general. And thanks Dae for the huge amass of compliments one these. Tell your brother I'd gladly join his team of experts for any future endeavors he might have. I can message you contact details if you want wink

And lastly, I concede to your point Dae about the last picture. Honestly I've been back and forth several times over that picture and whether or not to remove it from my port altogether. I personally don't think the makeup is to the level of quality that my more recent work has been, but everyone seems to gravitate toward that pic for some reason, which is why it's lasted in there so long, lol. It may not last much longer though wink

Thanks again so much guys for the critique and advice! I appreciate it tons!

-Ryan

Oct 06 12 02:37 am Link

Model

Nikita Rumyantseva

Posts: 343

Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

Tell me, tell me. big_smile

Oct 06 12 02:54 am Link

Photographer

ikonas Boston

Posts: 671

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Dae Daniels wrote:
I'm afraid I have to completely disagree with the Julius' review. And what better way to confuse the hell out of someone!! haha.

....
.....

and thats MY opinion! big_smile

~Dae~

p.s. sorry Julius, we were bound to disagree sooner or later, haha. Besides, I figured I owe you from the last couple critiques I did that you disagreed with! big_smile
smooch!

Dae - As mentioned at the outset, I am not an expert in MUA art, so your experience and opinion in these matters are invaluable thus raising the quality of this forum.


PhoenixFX  - Regarding the FX images, while I concede they ought to be part of your port, the variants should be removed.

Oct 06 12 07:37 am Link

Photographer

Adam Mohammed

Posts: 39

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

Hi, I would really appreciate it if you can give me any feedback in relation to my portfolio. I would love to hear your thoughts. Thank you very much for your time.

Oct 06 12 08:07 am Link

Photographer

ikonas Boston

Posts: 671

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Megh Klassen wrote:
Sure, why not. smile Let me know

Thanks for stopping by Megh. Like your figure, your port seems to be in a pretty good shape smile There are no bad images that clearly need to go. But if we follow the rules spelled out in my initial post then, by rule [1] you should delete this one as you posted another image with that purple bikini already. Two such images dont add value to your port. Even though this image got decent number of comments, its presence distracts viewer's attention.
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/111018/08/4e9d9a0ada71a_m.jpg

Another image I would recommend removing is this one. This  is because you already have a good number of bikini/lingerie images posted, plus I see a reddish discoloration on your belly which I find rather distracting.
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/110725/08/4e2d8abbc9a87_m.jpg

I do love your latest image for the light, sensuauality and alluring expression.
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120906/16/50492d5faf543_m.jpg

Nice work overall. For diversification, I would recommend for your future port work to move past bikini to fashion, art etc.

Oct 06 12 02:06 pm Link

Model

Rainbow misi

Posts: 6

Bratislava, Bratislavsk√Ĺ, Slovakia

Interested in your opinion..thanks smile

Oct 06 12 02:12 pm Link

Model

Danielle4u

Posts: 1

Palm Harbor, Florida, US

Do Mine

TY

Oct 06 12 02:14 pm Link

Photographer

ikonas Boston

Posts: 671

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Rainbow misi wrote:
Interested in your opinion..thanks smile

Ahoj Rainbow, it is my pleasure to comment on your port as I was born in Martin having spent several summers as a kid in Bratislava smile You have put together a lovely port in a short time.

You have posted three images wearing identical swimwear in the same scene - violation of rule [1]. Only keep one of the three. Even though all three are good, as a group, they devalue your port. Perhaps this one should be the first to go
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120922/13/505e21578e8a1_m.jpg

As you continue building your port, you should remove this image for its contrived pose, even though I do love the location which bring nostalgic memories smile
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120901/08/504230225e6b9_m.jpg

This one is one of my several favorites for your beauty, thoughtful expresison and superb photography.
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120901/08/50422ff832633_m.jpg

And I love the pose here. I find models with ballet/gymnastic training to be most graceful in their posing
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120901/08/50422fad95069_m.jpg

Best wishes

Oct 06 12 02:25 pm Link

Model

Lanika Thomas

Posts: 24

Salinas, California, US

I would love your feedback.

Oct 06 12 04:53 pm Link