Forums > Model Colloquy > Will nudes affect a future career?

Photographer

New Kidd Imagery

Posts: 1909

South Salt Lake, Utah, US

J Jessica  wrote:
If you are running for president or any high position in politics, nudes are probably not a great idea.
yikes

But then again... I could be wrong.

Yep, You'd be wrong.

http://www.cosmopolitan.com/celebrity/n … e-in-cosmo

Scott Brown posed nude.. and was a congressmen... if he might have tried to hide it... it probably could have been used against him... but he owned it and things were fine.

Arnold Schwarzenegger... Let's not forget our good friend the "Governator"... Google his name, You will find nudes of him as well.

It's not the nudity that would keep them out of the politics game.. it's the trying to hide it so the media can expose it.

Aug 25 12 07:00 am Link

Photographer

Fotographia Fantastique

Posts: 17326

Lebanon, New Hampshire, US

Poses wrote:
Last week a younger colleague of mine decided to announce (completely unprompted!) that I met my boyfriend because I "posed as a nude model for him." She made it sound super sleazy. I was in a position of authority over the people I was with...and then I was completely undermined and looked at differently.

But Candy, isn't part of the problem just that you took your nudes down so now they can't see that they totally were totally not sleazy at all, but beautiful works of art?

Aug 25 12 07:42 am Link

Model

Poses

Posts: 8139

Kansas City, Missouri, US

Fotographia Fantastique wrote:
Isn't part of the problem just that you took your nudes down so now they can't see that they totally were totally not sleazy at all, but beautiful works of art?

So, if that happens again I should whip out my phone and show people naked pictures of myself?

Aug 25 12 08:49 am Link

Model

Poses

Posts: 8139

Kansas City, Missouri, US

Poses wrote:
Last week a younger colleague of mine decided to announce (completely unprompted!) that I met my boyfriend because I "posed as a nude model for him." She made it sound super sleazy. I was in a position of authority over the people I was with...and then I was completely undermined and looked at differently.

-B-R-U-N-E-S-C-I- wrote:
With all due respect I feel that this is probably more in your own mind than in theirs.

Modelling nude isn't a crime or even a misdemeanour - if you own it with pride then how can you possibly be undermined by it? People may not agree with it, just like they may not agree with many other choices you make, but that's their problem, not yours.




Just my $0.02

Ciao
Stefano
www.stefanobrunesci.com

I'm not interested in answering questions about my life and "owning" my past, I'm interested in being successful in what I do.

It was time for work. It wasn't time for a Q&A about how, no, my boyfriend didn't pay me to model for him, and how I didn't date him for a year after we first met, but that's what it turned into because of the nature of the subject.

Edit: OP, I'm not saying that you shouldn't pose nude. It really is a question of whether you are prepared, able, and willing to deal with comments like this should people discover your work. Can you deal with them in a positive, open manner, or will you feel annoyed and held back by them? I was once the former, now I am the latter.

Aug 25 12 09:08 am Link

Model

Dawn-Marie94

Posts: 453

Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada

+1


Through Elizabeths Eyes wrote:

roll

Disregarding the escort bullshit...

When you do nudes, assume everyone you ever have known and ever will know will see them.

Use an alias to help try and cut that number down.

If you feel this is something that could be detrimental to your future career, don't do it.

I love shooting nudes, and I love shooting nude. I am also not at all naive that everyone I know could possibly find these photos, and as such, I never do anything I would not be comfortable showing to anyone, that I am ashamed of, etc.

I will also say that artistic nudes tend to go over a lot better than glamour nudes, which tend to be highly sexualized.


edit: I see you say you're agency represented, as well. You might want to double check with your agency and make sure they don't have a problem with you doing nudes. Make the decision to stay or not stay with that agency based on how much work they're actually getting you, depending on your personal decision.

Aug 25 12 09:10 am Link

Photographer

New Kidd Imagery

Posts: 1909

South Salt Lake, Utah, US

Poses wrote:

So, if that happens again I should whip out my phone and show people naked pictures of myself?

I know a few models that would do it...

It would show that you are not ashamed of what you did, and that you are proud of your work... if you are not proud of what you did, or what you are modeling... it would probably be best (like may have said in this thread).. not to model like that.

Aug 25 12 08:11 pm Link

Photographer

Fotographia Fantastique

Posts: 17326

Lebanon, New Hampshire, US

Poses wrote:

So, if that happens again I should whip out my phone and show people naked pictures of myself?

It would work for me! wink

Aug 25 12 09:06 pm Link

Model

Myrna Byrna

Posts: 130

Chicago, Illinois, US

Anna Storm wrote:
What do you think? Do you have experience with nudes messing with a career opportunity? Or has it not been an issue at all?

I'm planning on going to grad school and getting my masters or PhD in counseling. I've been considering doing some artistic nudes and possibly some glamour.  It's a big decision so I'm just curious to get some input.

Thanks Everyoone smile

I think that any of our modeling can have an effect on anything we do in the future and that nudity is not 'the' issue but, styling and genre, (implied or overt is styling and genre would be art, erotic or porn right?)

A great technical shot of something that you would not want to be affiliated with might hurt your reputation an

Jen

Aug 26 12 01:26 pm Link

Photographer

Wysiwyg Photography

Posts: 6326

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

Quite honestly,

Most of the stories you hear are the ones that posed for Playboy or other adult magazines...

"Jailer poses for Playboy.. loses job"

"Military officer.. Poses for Playboy, gets disciplinary action"

"Teacher poses nude..."

Anything could happen... but most of the stories I see are of girls that pose nude WHILE in the given career field...

The question there lies... are you going to let other people (you haven't even met) rule your life and control what you want to do... or are you going to live how you want to and how you live now is none of anyone else's business..

If I posed nude.. or if I modeled, ... I wouldn't even bring up modeling as something I do... If I'm in an interview, I don't have to tell anyone about what I do in my personal life... If I am asked what I like to do.. I like to hang out with friends and go to movies, etc.. I don't even have to bring up that I like to model or that I do photography.

Aug 26 12 06:05 pm Link

Model

Kira non

Posts: 3

Andover, Connecticut, US

What if someone decides to model in Europe where nudity is acceptable? I'm guessing models who've done nudes no matter what kind they are don't have the same problems in Europe as they do in the USA when modelling.

Sep 11 12 10:37 pm Link

Photographer

Dan OMell

Posts: 1335

Ufa, Bashkortostan, Russia

yes! but it also depends on the definition of "career".

Sep 11 12 10:52 pm Link

Model

Random One

Posts: 35

Canton, Michigan, US

I'm definitely in a career where nude modelling could hurt me.

That being said, I've been doing nudes off and on since 2009 with no real issues. To help out, my alias on MM is different from anything else I use, and I don't talk about what I do anywhere on MM. So far, it hasn't been an issue.

Sep 11 12 11:01 pm Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Posts: 22603

Salem, Oregon, US

state farm cancelled our liability insurance because we shoot boudoir. we've also had a few husbands who got upset with what their wives were doing. just because many folks on mayhem are cool with whatever doesn't mean that's true for the rest of the world.

to anyone shooting nudes on the internet i'd say you have to be ok with anyone and everyone possibly seeing them. including potential employers, etc.

Sep 11 12 11:07 pm Link

guide forum

Model

Anna Adrielle

Posts: 18763

Antwerp, Antwerp, Belgium

ki era wrote:
What if someone decides to model in Europe where nudity is acceptable? I'm guessing models who've done nudes no matter what kind they are don't have the same problems in Europe as they do in the USA when modelling.

"nudity is acceptable in europe"

what does that even mean?

Sep 13 12 01:34 am Link

Photographer

Karl Blessing

Posts: 30853

Grand Rapids, Michigan, US

tongue I recall one model was disqualified from ANTM simply because she refused to get nude for a group shoot. As one of the show's characters said, it comes with the territory. I guess the only other matter is, is it an art nude, or erotic nude, etc?

Sep 13 12 01:45 am Link

Photographer

BeautybyGod

Posts: 3064

Los Angeles, California, US

Karl Blessing wrote:
tongue I recall one model was disqualified from ANTM simply because she refused to get nude for a group shoot. As one of the show's characters said, it comes with the territory. I guess the only other matter is, is it an art nude, or erotic nude, etc?

and another one left because she wouldn't even do lingerie.

Sep 13 12 02:15 am Link

Model

Alexis Montclaire

Posts: 211

Atlanta, Georgia, US

All the comments here have great points, and I want to throw in the same comment I normally do when these threads pop up:

Even if the work is tasteful and probably wont pop up on a background check, etc - all it takes is one person who knows about said work to fall out with you before it get faxed to your office, etc.


sometimes it not -just- about potential discovery via accident or checks, unfortunately.

Sep 13 12 07:28 am Link

Model

Alexis Montclaire

Posts: 211

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Anna Adrielle wrote:
what does that even mean?

culturally, theyre more open as far as nudity than Americans.

Sep 13 12 07:28 am Link

Photographer

Camerosity

Posts: 5316

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

There's always that possibility. I was notified this morning by a model friend that she has lost her job as a result of an "unprofessional" photo on Facebook - and Facebook doesn't even allow nudity.

Sep 13 12 07:38 am Link

Model

Kris Sipes

Posts: 29

Dallas, Texas, US

La Lana  wrote:
The obvious answer...it depends.  I remember awhile back reading about a playboy model who was a lawyer.  She did an article and everything on it...

I want to get my masters in counseling as well.  Sure I wondered if it'd effect my future...really, I can't pay for grad school without some kind of extra money making...

And I like doing it, maybe there will be future consequences, and maybe there won't.  Use a stage name, and just ask yourself what you want most.  A lot of women paid for college and what not through non conventional methods and go on just fine...

My last gf was a Vivid girl with a stage name which worked until someone from her high school outed her real name on a public form to make himself look cool for going on a date with a then future porn star. This idiot posted pictures of them on their one and only date and a link to Vivid to prove to the doubters on this forum that he went out with her. Her identity was compromised so that some low life tool could impress strangers on a bodybuilding forum and it got picked up from there. Never underestimate what people from your past will do because they will expose you for literally nothing.

Yes, there's a difference between artistic nudes and porn, obviously, but a stage name only works as long as no one recognizes you and becomes a rat.

Sep 13 12 12:59 pm Link

Model

Alexis Montclaire

Posts: 211

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Kris Sipes wrote:
Never underestimate what people from your past will do because they will expose you for literally nothing.

Yes, there's a difference between artistic nudes and porn, obviously, but a stage name only works as long as no one recognizes you and becomes a rat.

Ding. Winner.

Sep 14 12 05:38 am Link

Photographer

Wysiwyg Photography

Posts: 6326

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

Kris Sipes wrote:
Never underestimate what people from your past will do because they will expose you for literally nothing.

Yes, there's a difference between artistic nudes and porn, obviously, but a stage name only works as long as no one recognizes you and becomes a rat.

Alexis Montclaire wrote:
Ding. Winner.

You realize that there are dick weeds out there that would try and hurt you and your career even if you didn't model nude?

I mean, it's cool that models choose not to pose nude, but the fear mongering has got to stop.

Just because something could happen, doesn't mean it will happen.

If that were the case... Sherry Lynne White (a PLAYBOY model) wouldn't have ever been able to become a teacher after she stopped modeling... well, she stopped modeling and became a teacher. And she was a model for a PUBLISHED MAGAZINE... I could imagine that the models that aren't even published could get away with a lot more.

I'm not saying that there aren't consequences for your actions, but there are consequences (good and bad) with anything we do.

I've said it before and I'll say it again.
Models that don't want to pose nude will look for any excuse in the book to make sure they feel justified in their answer for not posing nude when "I just don't wanna" should be a good enough answer.

The models that DO want to pose nude will look for ways around the prudish society to do what they want and won't let someone they haven't even met yet dictate the way they want to live their life.

Sep 14 12 03:33 pm Link

Model

Stella Dorr

Posts: 7

Buena Park, California, US

Photographic Memory wrote:
Maybe we need some super huge orgy in this country, get all the uptight people laid, I don't [k]now.

Truer words have never been said.

Feb 21 13 02:01 pm Link

Photographer

Jon Winkleman Photo

Posts: 105

New York, New York, US

There are no hard fast rules or guarantees.

Demi Moore did very explicit less tasteful nudes in Oui Magazine before getting her first big job on General Hospital who was supposedly aware of her nude photos.

Vanessa Williams lost her Miss America crown over them but still went on to become the most successful legit acting/singing career of anyone who ever won the crown.

Other people have lost jobs. All depends on the nature of the nude photos and realistically what may lie in your career track.

Normally many photographers will include a lot if keyword metadata in a digital photo file. This will include location, type of photo, elements like beaches or city street and the model's name. If you choose to use an alias be sure to explicitly tell the photographer not to include your real name in the metadata but only your alias. It might seem invisible but those photos will pop up on Internet searches.

Feb 23 13 05:16 am Link

Photographer

salvatori.

Posts: 3836

Bellefonte, Pennsylvania, US

Dimetra Seraphim wrote:
be sure to NEVER go alone! Even if you know the person, take someone else with you! Safety in numbers.

I swear to Christ, every time I see this, I want to quit this site. It's like telling someone you like Oreos and having them warn you that you shouldn't eat two million of them 'cause you will explode.

WTF...

O_o

EDIT: Fuck, I didn't realize this was a quasi-zombie thread. Luckily, my above feelings still apply...

Feb 23 13 05:24 am Link

Model

K I C K H A M

Posts: 14636

Los Angeles, California, US

Wysiwyg Photography wrote:

You realize that there are dick weeds out there that would try and hurt you and your career even if you didn't model nude?

I mean, it's cool that models choose not to pose nude, but the fear mongering has got to stop.

Just because something could happen, doesn't mean it will happen.

If that were the case... Sherry Lynne White (a PLAYBOY model) wouldn't have ever been able to become a teacher after she stopped modeling... well, she stopped modeling and became a teacher. And she was a model for a PUBLISHED MAGAZINE... I could imagine that the models that aren't even published could get away with a lot more.

I'm not saying that there aren't consequences for your actions, but there are consequences (good and bad) with anything we do.

I've said it before and I'll say it again.
Models that don't want to pose nude will look for any excuse in the book to make sure they feel justified in their answer for not posing nude when "I just don't wanna" should be a good enough answer.

The models that DO want to pose nude will look for ways around the prudish society to do what they want and won't let someone they haven't even met yet dictate the way they want to live their life.

When you say "I don't want to," people ask why.

You are only talking about models who want to pose nude and those who don't want to-- there are plenty that don't actually care.

There are models who wouldn't object to posing nude otherwise, but aren't passionate about needing to shoot it either, and in those cases, these real-world situations make the decision. It's not the scapegoat excuse-- it's the reason.

For me, it could interfere with my journalism career. Now, I've been approached to do gallery work, which sounds fun and I have nothing against. However, I'm not thinking, "OH MY GOODNESS. THIS IS AMAZING. MY LIFE WOULD BE COMPLETE IF I COULD DO THAT."

If I were that passionate about it, then the risks wouldn't matter, because they would be less important.

I don't see this as fear-mongering-- this is real life. The smart people man up and deal with it. And that either means saying no, dealing with the possible consequences, or knowing that with your chosen path there really aren't any consequences. You have to balance all the pros and cons-- and the reality is that depending on your field and area, it could affect your chances of getting (and keeping) a job in a market that already sucks.

Feb 23 13 05:27 am Link

Photographer

B R U N E S C I

Posts: 25319

Bath, England, United Kingdom

People willing to pose nude for the sake of creating art should be rewarded by society, not punished!

It's an outrage that in a so-called 'civilized' society that purports to value art and culture, the simple and innocent act of removing one's clothes so that an artist can photograph or draw you can have such negative repercussions.

It's a fucking shame, and I'm saddened and exasperated by it. Massive kudos to all the models who are willing to put their 'good reputation' on the line in the name of art.




Just my $0.02

Ciao
Stefano

www.stefanobrunesci.com

Feb 23 13 05:27 am Link

Photographer

Mike Hemming

Posts: 359

Easton, Maryland, US

Mike - I'm having to rethink my newfound hobby as my job doesn't exactly find it to be appropriate and has come close to firing me over this! So that being said, I probably won't be doing any more nudes!

A message I recieved. We switched to some mild lingerie shots and had a good shoot
The model had used her name and city so it was easy to find, Im sure.
So it happens.
Ive had 2 other models ask for pics to be removed or not used because of career changes.
Which I did.

Feb 23 13 05:34 am Link

Model

K I C K H A M

Posts: 14636

Los Angeles, California, US

Mike Hemming wrote:

A message I recieved. We switched to some mild lingerie shots and had a good shoot
The model had used her name and city so it was easy to find, Im sure.
So it happens.
Ive had 2 other models ask for pics to be removed or not used because of career changes.
Which I did.

A lot of people freak out at those requests (which can make sense, as both parties put work into the shoot), and it was very kind of you to take the photos down.

Feb 23 13 05:38 am Link

Photographer

David M Russell

Posts: 1133

New York, New York, US

If you ever dream of running for office, working with children, working in law enforcement, or making a run at CEO, it might come back to bite you.

There are plenty of news stories that you can read about it.

Feb 23 13 05:40 am Link

Photographer

Mike Hemming

Posts: 359

Easton, Maryland, US

K I C K H A M wrote:

A lot of people freak out at those requests (which can make sense, as both parties put work into the shoot), and it was very kind of you to take the photos down.

My grandfather a wise old Indian once said to me.

"The world is full of pain
Dont add to it."

Feb 23 13 05:51 am Link

Photographer

Mike Hemming

Posts: 359

Easton, Maryland, US

Arrugh

The painful dreaded double post!!!

Feb 23 13 05:55 am Link

Model

angel emily

Posts: 1020

Boston, Massachusetts, US

David M Russell wrote:
If you ever dream of running for office, working with children, working in law enforcement, or making a run at CEO, it might come back to bite you.

There are plenty of news stories that you can read about it.

This is fact.

And we can talk until the cows come home about what our society *should* be....

But we live in the real world, where such things are condemned all the time.  I just saw a news story about a teacher who was fired for topless cell phone pics.  A few years ago there was a bigger news story about a teacher who was fired for appearing in Playboy. Even art nudes may be called into question in some circles.

If you're at all hesitant, avoid completely, or ask not to be credited or your real name used.  Might not erase the record completely, but will help not appearing in Google searches...

Feb 23 13 07:23 am Link