Forums > General Industry > Apple taking on Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator

Photographer

Kevin Connery

El Segundo, California, US

Moderator Warning!

Kevin Connery wrote:
Someone will point out something good about the report: they'll be labeled an Apple fanboi.
Someone will point out something bad about the report: they'll be labeled an Apple hater.
Defending either or both of these knee-jerk responses turns the whole thread into a trainwreck, overshadowing whatever the report was actually about.

That kind of behavior, while common, is almost invariably against the rules, as trolling or hijacking.

Aug 23 12 04:25 pm Link

Photographer

Graham Walker

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Use Gimp.

Sep 21 12 09:52 am Link

Photographer

KMP

Houston, Texas, US

Brian Scanlon wrote:
Just because Apple is working on a new graphics program doesn't mean they are aiming it at the professional market.

Maybe it's me but I doubt they'll take over Photoshop if they are strictly MAC based..

Sep 21 12 10:06 am Link

Photographer

Let There Be Light

Los Angeles, California, US

William Kious wrote:
*YAWN!*

Seriously, who cares? Unless they make the software cross-platform, it won't stand a chance against Photoshop

According to the OP it will be cross platform: OS X and iOS.

Sep 21 12 10:17 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Looknsee Photography wrote:

I believe that I post & comment on both positive & negative Apple news (it's exceedingly rare to find "neutral" Apple news).

But phrases like "Apple taking on... and "jaw dropping copyright..." and others seems more sensational than factual to me.  I don't like feeling like I'm being manipulated.  "News" reports like this are to Apple like Fox News is to Republicans (at least that's how if feels to me).

The media love Apple.  That's why they are always in the news and therefore get free advertising.

Sep 21 12 10:19 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Kevin Connery wrote:
Someone will point out something good about the report: they'll be labeled an Apple fanboi.
Someone will point out something bad about the report: they'll be labeled an Apple hater.
Defending either or both of these knee-jerk responses turns the whole thread into a trainwreck, overshadowing whatever the report was actually about.

Fortunately, some people ignore the labels, and read what is written, looking for useful information.

Not many, alas, but some, nevertheless.

There are also a few who will call you a http://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-iw5TaUpM1OI/AAAAAAAAAAI/AAAAAAAAABg/oWjr6XtVW8o/s120-c/photo.jpg if they don't like a comment that you make.

Sep 21 12 10:21 am Link

Photographer

Let There Be Light

Los Angeles, California, US

Brooklyn Bridge Images wrote:
A new patent doesn't mean squat

+1. There's a big difference between announcing a patent and announcing a product.

Sep 21 12 10:23 am Link

Photographer

KMP

Houston, Texas, US

George Ruge wrote:
Ohh HELL to the YESSSSS!!:-) I'll finally have a program that I can figure out how to work!! Something that will make sense and be easy to use!

I guess time will tell if it's really more user friendly than Photoshop....

Sep 21 12 10:25 am Link

Photographer

ChanStudio - OtherSide

Alpharetta, Georgia, US

c_h_r_i_s wrote:
What next Adobe joining up with Microsoft.

Microsoft already owns certain percentage of Apple stock.  Back in the days where Steve Job just came back to Apple and Apple was in trouble.  Bill agreed to invest in $160 mil on Apple.

Sep 21 12 10:26 am Link

Photographer

Andrew Thomas Evans

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

Jerry Nemeth wrote:
The media love Apple.  That's why they are always in the news and therefore get free advertising.

I'd argue that apple has it easier. They are a single company, a niche on the market, and can provide one unified front for branding, marketing, talking points, etc. Where as the rest of the market is split up into many different factions and have a hard time (sans large changes to something like windows) to put on that unified front for the media when launching something.

Andrew Thomas Evans
www.andrewthomasevans.com

Sep 21 12 10:35 am Link

Photographer

nwprophoto

Kalibo, Western Visayas, Philippines

Wilde One wrote:
Very good. Photoshop needs competition.

If Apple does a similar good job with still photography/graphics editing as it has with video editing, then this could shake up things.

Was that meant as a joke?

FCP was 4 years behind the times and still buggy when they discontinued it.
FCX remains a joke.

Sep 21 12 10:38 am Link