Forums > Events > Sept 30 'Deep Forest Mt. Baldy Shoot' / SoCal

Model

SABRINA BOULTON

Fountain Valley, California, US

I am looking to do some time exposure shots. I thought you could only get that effect at night. I am being body painted as a mermaid this same day for a night shoot. Maybe Gary will let me tag along with him before I have to shoot my next event.

Sep 25 12 06:29 am Link

Model

Chantelle Mathiasson

Carson City, Nevada, US

Cant wait garebear!!!! smile smile smile this is going to be sooooo much fun!!! smile

Sep 25 12 09:39 am Link

Photographer

Paul Albert

Los Angeles, California, US

Chantelle Gascoigne wrote:
Guess who's coming!!!!!!! Yay!!!!!! I'm sooooooooo excited Garebear!!!!! smile smile smile Shoot me a message if you would like to book a one on one!!! smile smile annddddd im platinum blonde again!!!!!

Wow!  Drop everything and get your butt to Mt Baldy, a chance to shoot Chantelle G, now in Platinum.  Hmmm, not one to be missed.

Sep 25 12 11:03 am Link

Photographer

Paul Albert

Jin N Tonic wrote:
yay!! so excited to be a part of this. can i just say that select models has the BEST events?? ;D
i'm super fun and promise killer shots in whatever genre you wanna throw at me ;D
photogs - PM and let's get some one on ones set up! can't wait to see you all there.
-jin
www.JinNTonic.com

Well, Well, Well, these last two alone can carry the event, the rest of the models look stunning, just have not met them yet.  Nickels, quarters, dimes in the couch, sell pencils on the corner, wrestle the homless guy for the cans in the 7/11 trash, but get to Baldy and make your camera happy.

Sep 25 12 11:08 am Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

Rancho Cucamonga, California, US

Paul Albert wrote:
Well, Well, Well, these last two alone can carry the event, the rest of the models look stunning, just have not met them yet.  Nickels, quarters, dimes in the couch, sell pencils on the corner, wrestle the homless guy for the cans in the 7/11 trash, but get to Baldy and make your camera happy.

Paul's right on Chantelle's and Jin attending... they could easily 'carry the event'... BUT... they're gonna have company with at least 6 other great models... who will be named by Thursday evening.  Due to serious parking limitations, this event will be capped at 12 photographers.  There are currently 9 confirmed shooters... that leaves THREE photographer spots open.  If you haven't messaged me yet to confirm your attendence, please do so ASAP... will be easily sold out by Friday... wink

Sep 25 12 11:47 am Link

Model

Chantelle Mathiasson

Carson City, Nevada, US

Paul Albert wrote:

Wow!  Drop everything and get your butt to Mt Baldy, a chance to shoot Chantelle G, now in Platinum.  Hmmm, not one to be missed.

Awwwww your too sweet Paul!!!!! smile smile smile Your coming right??? Omg im sooo excited! Id upload my new pics to here but i dont know how to do that from my phone lol but you can see them in my profile! smile dont miss out on the awesomeness going to happen at this shoot! smile

Sep 25 12 01:09 pm Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

SABRINA BOULTON wrote:
I am looking to do some time exposure shots. I thought you could only get that effect at night. I am being body painted as a mermaid this same day for a night shoot. Maybe Gary will let me tag along with him before I have to shoot my next event.

Hey Breenerz... fur sure... show up in that 'Mermaid Body Paint'... we'll toss you in the big pond and pretend it's an ocean... lol... borat

Sep 25 12 01:25 pm Link

Photographer

Sensual Magic

Upland, California, US

SABRINA BOULTON wrote:

A neutral density filter is a dark glass over the front of the camera lens, like sunglasses. It simulates night so that longer exposures are possible.

Gary has posted some real nice girl-in-waterfall shots on this thread, but these are relativey short exposures, like 1 sec or so. I want to take it to the next level. Using longer exposures will soften the water like in my sample shot, but it means the model will have to be able to tolerate cold water on her body for a longer period - and she has to hold the pose without moving during the exposure time. Not easy. The water can get cold. This time of year is probably the warmest water temps available up in the mountains, but still chilly.

Tell me more about mermaid body paint. I'm trying to imagine it.

- Clark

Sep 25 12 05:02 pm Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

Hey Clark and Breenerz... unfortunately, the waterfall is pretty much dried up this time of year... BUT... we will have a few small ponds to use for water shots, as well as alot of way cool deep forest locations.  The waterfall will be really roaring in late spring on our first shoot of 2013... wink

Sep 25 12 10:51 pm Link

Photographer

Sensual Magic

Upland, California, US

Select Models wrote:
Hey Clark and Breenerz... unfortunately, the waterfall is pretty much dried up this time of year... BUT... we will have a few small ponds to use for water shots, as well as alot of way cool deep forest locations.  The waterfall will be really roaring in late spring on our first shoot of 2013... wink

Yeah, you're right, as a matter of fact. We need some snow melt. But then...brrrrrrrr!

Maybe I should try a public fountain at night, like the one at the bank on the corner of Foothill & Euclid. Or, there are several pools and fountains hidden away on the Claremont College campuses, like this one:

https://cthompson.zenfolio.com/img/s2/v51/p345744273-4.jpg

If they operate in the evening I might have something.

Developing...

Sep 25 12 11:58 pm Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

Jin N Tonic wrote:
yay!! so excited to be a part of this. can i just say that select models has the BEST events?? ;D
i'm super fun and promise killer shots in whatever genre you wanna throw at me ;D
photogs - PM and let's get some one on ones set up! can't wait to see you all there.
-jin
www.JinNTonic.com

Cool beans... and you'll LOVE this location... seeya Sunday... borat

Sep 26 12 08:06 am Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

Charonda Glamour wrote:

Yeah, you're right, as a matter of fact. We need some snow melt. But then...brrrrrrrr!

Maybe I should try a public fountain at night, like the one at the bank on the corner of Foothill & Euclid. Or, there are several pools and fountains hidden away on the Claremont College campuses, like this one:

https://cthompson.zenfolio.com/img/s2/v51/p345744273-4.jpg

If they operate in the evening I might have something.

Developing...

Dude... The CC has security guards roaming all over that campus... looking to kick out random photographers where ever they may be.  If you haven't been confronted by one of them yet... consider yourself VERY fortunate... wink

Sep 26 12 08:34 am Link

Photographer

James Sioux

Gary, I'd like to clear my schedule for this shoot. Any spot left?

Sep 26 12 08:44 am Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

James Sioux wrote:
Gary, I'd like to clear my schedule for this shoot. Any spot left?

Hey James... saving you a spot... two photographer openings left... seeya Sunday.. wink

Sep 26 12 09:36 am Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

Charonda Glamour wrote:

A neutral density filter is a dark glass over the front of the camera lens, like sunglasses. It simulates night so that longer exposures are possible.

Gary has posted some real nice girl-in-waterfall shots on this thread, but these are relativey short exposures, like 1 sec or so.

Thanks for the image kudos.  All the shots I've taken in the Mt. Baldy waterfalls were hand held with the Nikon 70-300 ED-VR at 1/20 to 1/80 at ISOs ranging from 800 to 3200.  That VR is an amazing tool in extreme low light... borat

Sep 26 12 11:29 am Link

Photographer

James Sioux

Select llamas wrote:
Hey James... saving you a spot... two photographer openings left... seeya Sunday.. wink

Thanks Gary.  Looking forward to it.

Sep 26 12 11:37 am Link

Photographer

dayplace

Hacienda Heights, California, US

Can I get a confirmation that I have a spot on Sunday?

Sep 26 12 11:45 am Link

Photographer

Sensual Magic

Upland, California, US

Select Models wrote:

Dude... The CC has security guards roaming all over that campus... looking to kick out random photographers where ever they may be.  If you haven't been confronted by one of them yet... consider yourself VERY fortunate... wink

I guess I am fortunate. I have shot fashion models many, many times on campus and have never been confronted by a security guard. But I always shoot on a Sunday, so that may have something to do with it.

https://cthompson.zenfolio.com/img/s11/v29/p722131832-4.jpg

Sep 26 12 11:50 am Link

Photographer

Sensual Magic

Upland, California, US

Select llamas wrote:
Thanks for the image kudos.  All the shots I've taken in the Mt. Baldy waterfalls were hand held with the Nikon 70-300 ED-VR at 1/20 to 1/80 at ISOs ranging from 800 to 3200.  That VR is an amazing tool in extreme low light... borat

Your way is probably the most practical in that situation (what f-stops are you using?). I hate setting up tripods, especially on rocks! But in order to blur that water into something wonderous and mysterious I'm going to have to go an extra mile. For example, I am very inspired by this pic I found on the web:

https://ih2.redbubble.net/image.10937689.8759/flat,800x800,075,f.jpg

My idea is to somehow fit a forest llama into a scene like this, keeping the water effect. This can only be done with a neutral density filter and a tripod. It is a challenge fer sure, but hey, that's what makes life interesting.

Sep 26 12 12:02 pm Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

Clarkmeister... that's a cool shot up there... but DUDE... that image has been photoshopped into OBLIVION... and very easy to minipulate when there's no llama involved... wink

Sep 26 12 01:24 pm Link

Photographer

Sensual Magic

Upland, California, US

Select Models wrote:
Clarkmeister... that's a cool shot up there... but DUDE... that image has been photoshopped into OBLIVION... and very easy to minipulate when there's no model involved... wink

Straight out of the camera, only a bit of sharpening was applied, according to the photographer. The reason it looks that way is because it was a VERY long exposure using a 9-stop ND filter. Not practical if a model is in the scene I agree, but I can compromise and use a less dense filter and shorter exposure time. For example, my sample shot (on previous page) up in Baldy was only 8 sec. long using a 3-stop filter. So, it can be done. I just need to find an adventurous model who likes to try new things. Any takers?

Sep 26 12 01:33 pm Link

Model

Chantelle Mathiasson

Carson City, Nevada, US

let see if this works! Lol

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120925/13/50620e0a16177_m.jpg

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120911/20/5050006d6964c_m.jpg

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120923/20/505fd333b486a_m.jpg

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120926/15/50637bbf29220_m.jpg

Sep 26 12 02:56 pm Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

dayplace wrote:
Can I get a confirmation that I have a spot on Sunday?

Hey Mark... saving you as spot for Sunday's shoot... seeya deep in the forest of Mt. Baldy... borat

Sep 26 12 03:48 pm Link

Model

Jin N Tonic

Miami Beach, Florida, US

Charonda Glamour wrote:
So, it can be done. I just need to find an adventurous model who likes to try new things. Any takers?

always! you just described me to a T ;D

Sep 26 12 07:25 pm Link

Photographer

Sensual Magic

Upland, California, US

Jin N Tonic wrote:

always! you just described me to a T ;D

Can you stay motionless for 8 to 15 seconds under cold running water with almost nothing on?

Sep 26 12 08:08 pm Link

Model

SABRINA BOULTON

Select Models wrote:

Hey Breenerz... fur sure... show up in that 'Mermaid Body Paint'... we'll toss you in the big pond and pretend it's an ocean... lol... borat

Yeah can't wait for this event. You totally rock Gary. I'll bring my floaties so you can pull me safely back to shore. Lol

Sep 26 12 08:44 pm Link

Model

SABRINA BOULTON

Paul Albert wrote:

Paul it will be really good seeing you again. Tick tock countdown has begun

Sep 26 12 08:58 pm Link

Model

SABRINA BOULTON

Charonda Glamour wrote:

Gary has posted some real nice girl-in-waterfall shots on this thread, but these are relativey short exposures, like 1 sec or so. I want to take it to the next level. Using longer exposures will soften the water like in my sample shot, but it means the model will have to be able to tolerate cold water on her body for a longer period - and she has to hold the pose without moving during the exposure time. Not easy. The water can get cold. This time of year is probably the warmest water temps available up in the mountains, but still chilly.

Tell me more about mermaid body paint. I'm trying to imagine it.

I am looking to do some time exposure shots while body painted by Pashur. I'd like to get the fog rippled effect. Hopefully there is enough water to get this look. I'm good at getting in water but just have to be careful so my paint stays on for my next event. As far as I know the paint will be gold and copper colors. My hair will be fire red.

I have done time exposure shots before and so am aware of not being able to move for long periods of time.

- Clark

Sep 26 12 09:21 pm Link

Model

Libertad Green

Richmond, Virginia, US

Looking forward to the shoot Sunday!

Sep 26 12 09:35 pm Link

Photographer

Sensual Magic

Upland, California, US

SABRINA BOULTON wrote:
I am looking to do some time exposure shots while body painted by Pashur. I'd like to get the fog rippled effect. Hopefully there is enough water to get this look. I'm good at getting in water but just have to be careful so my paint stays on for my next event. As far as I know the paint will be gold and copper colors. My hair will be fire red.

I have done time exposure shots before and so am aware of not being able to move for long periods of time.

I would be worried about your paint being damaged among the rocks and water. You would definitely lose some paint if it is water soluble.

- Clark

Sep 26 12 09:40 pm Link

Model

SABRINA BOULTON

Charonda Glamour wrote:

I would be worried about your paint being damaged among the rocks and water. You would definitely lose some paint if it is water soluble.

- Clark

Waterproof paint

Sep 26 12 10:16 pm Link

Photographer

Sensual Magic

Upland, California, US

SABRINA BOULTON wrote:
Waterproof paint

Oh really? That makes it more feasible.

How do you get the paint off when you're all done? Just curious.

Sep 26 12 10:54 pm Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

Charonda Glamour wrote:

How do you get the paint off when you're all done?

THAT is the one million dollar question right there... hmm... lol

Sep 26 12 11:21 pm Link

Photographer

Sensual Magic

Upland, California, US

Select Models wrote:

THAT is the one million dollar question right there... hmm... lol

https://smiliesftw.com/x/bowdown.gif

Sep 26 12 11:40 pm Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

Charonda Glamour wrote:

lol... gotta visit that smilies website and snag somma their cute gifs... wink

Sep 27 12 05:32 am Link

Model

SABRINA BOULTON

Charonda Glamour wrote:

How do you get the paint off when you're all done? Just curious.

I was told soap water and some scrubbing

Sep 27 12 06:33 am Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

SABRINA BOULTON wrote:

Scrubbing?!?!?!?... OUCH!... yikes

Sep 27 12 07:06 am Link

Photographer

Sensual Magic

Upland, California, US

SABRINA BOULTON wrote:

So it is semi-water soluble I guess. Sounds like acrylic-based paint. What kind of shoot are you going to after you leave Baldy? Are they picky about details of your paint job? 'Cause, if you think about it, if you can remove the paint with soap & water then some is bound to come off in a waterfall too.

If we can find a waterfall, that is. Gary sez there is little water there now. I'm going to scout the location first, to see what's up. I'll get back to you.

BTW: Who is Pashur? Web site?

Sep 27 12 10:39 am Link

Photographer

Sensual Magic

Upland, California, US

Select Models wrote:
lol... gotta visit that smilies website and snag somma their cute gifs... wink

Here's three new disciples for you, bowing in unison..

Once you have three solid disciples you can move on to twelve. And then start a religion.

Sep 27 12 10:54 am Link

Photographer

dayplace

Hacienda Heights, California, US

Select Models wrote:

Hey Mark... saving you as spot for Sunday's shoot... seeya deep in the forest of Mt. Baldy... borat

Thanks! I'm new and have never been to one of your events so I am not familiar with the location of the studio that we're supposed to meet at. Can I get the address?

Sep 27 12 11:34 am Link