Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > rant / need suggestions for portable compressor

Makeup Artist

face_case

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

For those who airbrush, I'm looking for opinions on compressors.. currently using a temptu air, which i LOVE for the portability since all of my work is on-location and it is super easy to travel with. However, I do not love their customer service... my compressor is less than 5 months old, and is already not working. This is the second issue I've had, as the original battery already quit working and needed to be replaced. Long story short, my compressor needs to be repaired, but while it is in the shop, Temptu has (in their words) 'no program to rent or replace'.. which means too bad for all of my upcoming clients I have booked. Instead of offering to send a loaner, they basically said too bad. They will of course fix it, but I'm out a compressor while this takes place. Needless to say, I'm irritated. So... I wanted to see what y'all use, since I will most likely be purchasing a new (and hopefully more reliable) unit. I need something small and portable.

Sep 21 12 03:06 pm Link

Photographer

Thomas Van Dyke

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Joy sorry you're having a challenge with your TEMPTU air... mine continues to work flawlessly... albeit I have followed their instructions (packaged with the unit) to totally discharge the battery frequently...   Do you have a PRO Artisan discount with them?  it is totally worth applying for... I got mine years ago when it was free... now you have to paid $30 (which is refundable in product for the first 30 days)...

That said, I have an Iwata studio compressor that is my backup for location work... ALWAYS have a backup system when doing bridal...  just one extra trip to the car and packing an extension cord...

btw, the design life of the TEMPTU air battery is approximately 400 make-up applications of usage... might be wise to run the compressor on the charger unless you are actually on-site... rest assured it pays for itself many fold at 400 weddings...

all the best on your journey...

Sep 21 12 03:48 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Visuelle Artistry

Lewisville, Texas, US

Well that sucks !! I have two airbrush compressors  .. a silver jet Iwata I've had about 2 1/2 yrs that continues to work great and I purchased a Iwata ninja jet this year as a second for weddings and travel.

The best prices I've found are on Merriartist.com

Hope this helps smile

Sep 21 12 04:02 pm Link

Makeup Artist

face_case

@thomas.. Thanks for the reply. To answer your questions, I always have my iwata smart jet in my trunk as a back up and yes, I have the Temptu discount as I use their products for all of my bridal work. Also, I rarely use the compressor on battery mode and typically always plug it in. The first problem was the battery, this new problem is the unit itself. It keeps shutting off whether plugged in or on charge. As if it is overheating?

Sep 21 12 04:49 pm Link

Makeup Artist

face_case

Visuelle Artistry wrote:
Well that sucks !! I have two airbrush compressors  .. a silver jet Iwata I've had about 2 1/2 yrs that continues to work great and I purchased a Iwata ninja jet this year as a second for weddings and travel.

The best prices I've found are on Merriartist.com

Hope this helps smile

Thank you! Will check both out. I love my iwata smart jet buts its not easy to travel with!

Sep 21 12 04:50 pm Link

Body Painter

Lisa Berczel

Corona, California, US

Have you looked at the Grex Aeris?

Might be a good middle ground between your Temptu Air and Smart Jet.

http://grexusa.com/grexairbrush/product … =Aeris%20I

http://www.occmakeup.com/absets.html

Full Disclosure: I currently demo and have distributed for Grex in the past and use both the Aeris and larger 1810 on a regular basis.

Sep 21 12 05:04 pm Link

Photographer

Tiffanee B Artistry

Richmond, Texas, US

face_case wrote:
For those who airbrush, I'm looking for opinions on compressors.. currently using a temptu air, which i LOVE for the portability since all of my work is on-location and it is super easy to travel with. However, I do not love their customer service... my compressor is less than 5 months old, and is already not working. This is the second issue I've had, as the original battery already quit working and needed to be replaced. Long story short, my compressor needs to be repaired, but while it is in the shop, Temptu has (in their words) 'no program to rent or replace'.. which means too bad for all of my upcoming clients I have booked. Instead of offering to send a loaner, they basically said too bad. They will of course fix it, but I'm out a compressor while this takes place. Needless to say, I'm irritated. So... I wanted to see what y'all use, since I will most likely be purchasing a new (and hopefully more reliable) unit. I need something small and portable.

It's good to know that I am not the only one. My compressor started giving me issues a few months after use. I contacted them to replace but they needed me to ship it in to repair. Fair enough, but I figured that would be at least 1 month for me to get back and I needed it for weddings booked. Now (1.5 years later), I have had many http://assets.modelmayhem.com/images/smilies/scary.pngdays and even had to hand apply when it would act up. It now sounds like it is choking to come on and will not work without the plug even when charged the entire night. I love the size, but now looking for alternatives.

Dec 27 12 08:22 am Link