Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > What would you like me to cover in the new DVD?

Retoucher

Krunoslav Stifter

Santa Cruz, California, US

retouches by sui wrote:
Hello Kruno smile

I cant wait for the next release, I would like to learn about the colour adjustment such as selective colours, like how to add a punch to the photo by colour adjusting and what ways you use to determine a suitable colour smile sorry im bad at explaining, I hope you understand me.

Thank you for contributing. smile

Not sure I will focus on that specifically and if you read the thread you will see why.

May 05 13 06:15 pm Link

Photographer

Oscar Partida

Palm Springs, California, US

Since I see dozens of how do I get this look...maybe people want Coloring and toning.

May 05 13 08:46 pm Link

Retoucher

Binh Nguyen Thanh

Hồ Chí Minh City, Pomorskie, Vietnam

Hello! I'm Thanh Binh Nguyen. I do not know what to say but you just edit a DVD has the hair retouching guidance. I've learned series 2 but it is not enough to create a beautiful hair. Hair is the hardest part to edit, create a DVD with the instructions to retouch the hair from a hair messing become straight smooth and shiny as hair ads.
Please create an integrated DVD steps to edit a picture from the beginning until completion. Let work with Natalia Taffarel and Vitaly Druchinin to create it. Let's combine all three skills from you, Natalia Taffarel and Vitaly Druchinin to create a DVD editing is superb!
smile

May 06 13 07:21 am Link

Photographer

terrysphotocountry

Rochester, New York, US

Bring images into and out of LR 4.4 And info about layers

May 06 13 07:46 am Link

Retoucher

Krunoslav Stifter

Oscar Partida wrote:
Since I see dozens of how do I get this look...maybe people want Coloring and toning.

Indeed there are abundance of them, but that might be a topic for the next one.

Binh Nguyen Thanh wrote:
Hello! I'm Thanh Binh Nguyen. I do not know what to say but you just edit a DVD has the hair retouching guidance. I've learned series 2 but it is not enough to create a beautiful hair. Hair is the hardest part to edit, create a DVD with the instructions to retouch the hair from a hair messing become straight smooth and shiny as hair ads.
Please create an integrated DVD steps to edit a picture from the beginning until completion. Let work with Natalia Taffarel and Vitaly Druchinin to create it. Let's combine all three skills from you, Natalia Taffarel and Vitaly Druchinin to create a DVD editing is superb!
smile

Not every images you see is hair ad or should be treated as one. Teaching that seems more useful than making another DVD on how to do it don't you think?

terrysphotocountry wrote:
Bring images into and out of LR 4.4 And info about layers

What do you mean? Aren't that the sort of tutorials that were created?

May 06 13 05:13 pm Link

Retoucher

Binh Nguyen Thanh

Krunoslav-Stifter wrote:

Oscar Partida wrote:

Indeed there are abundance of them, but that might be a topic for the next one.

Binh Nguyen Thanh wrote:
smile

Not every images you see is hair ad or should be treated as one. Teaching that seems more useful than making another DVD on how to do it don't you think?

What do you mean? Aren't that the sort of tutorials that were created?

I know that not every images I see is hair ad or should be treated as one, but the hair is a retouch of the most difficult techniques, different images to different techniques but I need those skills edit hair, may not is advertising Hair but can create out a beautiful hair complete. Series 2 and Series 3 does not have any pictures, I need the shots to practice as series 1. The Free Raw Files've omitted some pictures that I think are necessary. smile

May 06 13 07:33 pm Link

Retoucher

Krunoslav Stifter

Binh Nguyen Thanh wrote:
Series 2 and Series 3 does not have any pictures, I need the shots to practice as series 1. The Free Raw Files've omitted some pictures that I think are necessary. smile

What do you mean? If you bought them, they should both have the project files, raw images s the series 1

May 06 13 08:46 pm Link

Retoucher

Binh Nguyen Thanh

I mean:
- Add images to practice for Series 2 and 3.
- No need to remove some pictures of Free Raw Files, I think they are needed, add them as before.
- Add photos to Premium Raw Files, do not need to provide all of the photos in the photo shoot, just pick out the best ones. Add Premium Raw Files 3.
-I love the photos in the gallery and portfolio of Natalia Taffarel, Vitaly Druchinin and you. So could I buy them?
- Add some tutorials on editing hair, although not the hair ad, but let guide to get the skills needed to create a complete hair. Because hair is an edited episode of the most difficult stages of photo editing.
- Create a professional video and synthesis of both 3, Natalia Taffarel, Vitaly Druchinin and you, series 1,2 and 3 is not enough for me, is very simple, not really professional.
-Create consistent steps and skills to complete a picture! Coherence!
-I understand that learning is a learning process, but not all that you learn what is needed. The skills offered in the DVD is not enough, lack of skills: Mix color, Transplantation photos, ...
-Add lighting controls and appropriate anatomy. The principles of image retouching.
-The model in the Premium Raw Files is great. What's her name?
Sorry for talking so much but they're my comments! Good luck! smile

May 06 13 09:58 pm Link

Retoucher

Krunoslav Stifter

Binh Nguyen Thanh wrote:
I mean:
- Add images to practice for Series 2 and 3.
- No need to remove some pictures of Free Raw Files, I think they are needed, add them as before.
- Add photos to Premium Raw Files, do not need to provide all of the photos in the photo shoot, just pick out the best ones. Add Premium Raw Files 3.

I don't understand what you mean.

Binh Nguyen Thanh wrote:
-I love the photos in the gallery and portfolio of Natalia Taffarel, Vitaly Druchinin and you. So could I buy them?

Don't you think that is a strange request?

Binh Nguyen Thanh wrote:
- Add some tutorials on editing hair, although not the hair ad, but let guide to get the skills needed to create a complete hair. Because hair is an edited episode of the most difficult stages of photo editing.
- Create a professional video and synthesis of both 3, Natalia Taffarel, Vitaly Druchinin and you, series 1,2 and 3 is not enough for me, is very simple, not really professional.
-Create consistent steps and skills to complete a picture! Coherence!

Hard to do beyond what it is done. Every image is different. Beyond your own personal satisfaction there needs to be a market and whole other bunch of factor all in one place for that to happen. I would not hold my breath. At lest not for now.

Binh Nguyen Thanh wrote:
-I understand that learning is a learning process, but not all that you learn what is needed. The skills offered in the DVD is not enough, lack of skills: Mix color, Transplantation photos, ...
-Add lighting controls and appropriate anatomy. The principles of image retouching.
-The model in the Premium Raw Files is great. What's her name?
Sorry for talking so much but they're my comments! Good luck! smile

My advice. Do more, talk less. You need more practice, less new videos. smile

May 06 13 10:53 pm Link

Retoucher

vcebuk

Ternopil', Ternopil's'ka, Ukraine

I'll buy the dvd which collected 5 or 6 videos like this - Krunoslav Stifter - Redhead Girl With Freckles Retouch - Photoshop CS6 Tutorial

Portraits and fully body, different llamas, different light, different styles.

Thanks

May 06 13 11:52 pm Link

Retoucher

Krunoslav Stifter

vcebuk wrote:
I'll buy the dvd which collected 5 or 6 videos like this - Krunoslav Stifter - Redhead Girl With Freckles Retouch - Photoshop CS6 Tutorial

Portraits and fully body, different models, different light, different styles.

Thanks

I'll keep that in mind. smile

May 06 13 11:59 pm Link

Retoucher

Binh Nguyen Thanh

Thank you!
"-I love the photos in the gallery and portfolio of Natalia Taffarel, Vitaly Druchinin and you. So could I buy them?"
-> No. I want to buy the original RAW files (the original non-retouched version).

May 07 13 04:54 am Link

Photographer

Camerosity

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

retouches by sui wrote:
Hello Kruno smile

I cant wait for the next release, I would like to learn about the colour adjustment such as selective colours, like how to add a punch to the photo by colour adjusting and what ways you use to determine a suitable colour smile sorry im bad at explaining, I hope you understand me.

Vitaly covers that in the first DVD. He teaches a technique which he uses to change a dress to several different colors without affecting the rest of the photo. There may be other methods - but you can do a lot with that one technique.

May 07 13 09:22 am Link

Retoucher

Krunoslav Stifter

Hey, guys.

First of all I would like to really thank you and everyone who participated in this project of mine and helped me with feedback and other ways, both on this forums and outside of it. Thank you.

After a long wait, I'm finally ready to announce my next project. As discussed in this thread it's called Real World Retouching for Retouchers And Photographers. It's a new series as the titles suggest it's for anyone involved in the world of retouching and photography. Originally it was supposed to be just one DVD, but I recorded a lot of stuff so I will have to break it into several titles.

This first volume in the series it's called Developing a Business Mindset. On my website you will find all the information you need. Take a look and see if it's for you.

http://www.realworldretouching.com/

To succeed as a retoucher or photographer, you need several components. The right mindset, the right skillset and the right technology. I usually talk about retouching skills as most tutorials do. This time I wanted to focus on the mindset of the professional retoucher and photographer. Especially the business mindset.

Despite enormous collections of business literature, most retouchers and photographs simply don't read it. Don't focus on it. Instead, they choose to focus on retouching or photography only, no marketing. I can understand that, believe me, I can. But unfortunately it's not enough. And if you can't get opportunity to work for better clients, you often don't have the opportunity to improve your portfolio as well. Or not knowingly attract the clients you don't really want to work for and repel the kind of clients you dream of working for.

To illustrate the core of the problem, I would like to tell you a story of the two famous artists. Vincent Van Gogh and Pablo Picasso. Both very famous today. Their paintings sell for hundreds of millions of dollars. But that was not always so. While they were alive, things were very different. Both were very innovative in art and influenced many artists and artistic movements that followed. Picasso was no doubt a cunning business man. He represents the good business model, because marketing wise, Picasso really knew how to promote his work and build a powerful brand for himself. This allowed him to live as probably the first true celebrity artist and knew how to finance his million dollar lifestyle.

Van Gogh on the other hand focused only on his art. Much like a retoucher or photographer would today. I see many incredibly creative people focus almost exclusively on watching tutorials and reading photography books and focusing only on their craft, completely ignoring to improve as marketer. Self-promotion is often outside their comfort zone, so they try to survive without it. Often end up working small, dead end jobs with clients they don’t really enjoy working for. Getting little money and never really standing out from the crowd in any significant market. People who are basing their business model on Van Gogh's life, represent a bad business model.

So if business is INNOVATION and MARKETING, Picasso did both, while Van Gogh only did one. He only focused on his art. He was brilliant at it, but that is all that he focused on. Nowadays many know him as the starving artist. A mad genius who, supposedly, only sold one painting while he was alive. Argument can be made that technically he never sold a painting despite having help from his brother Theo Van Gogh, who was ironically an art dealer.

Today his paintings sell almost as good as Picasso’s. With combine worth as high as a billion US dollars. Why? Well, brilliant art without marketing won't get you very far. Brilliant retouching or photography skills without proper marketing to back it up won't get you very far either. The reason why Van Gogh sell well today, is because someone after he died applied marketing to the formula and his fame was almost guaranteed. So, if you are basing your business model on the life of Dutch post-impressionist painter, Vincent Van Gogh… that is what I call The Van Gogh syndrome.

My question to you is: are you more like Van Gogh or are you more like Picasso?

To be a complete retoucher, I truly believe, you need more than simple Photoshop skills. Everyone with a Photoshop is a retoucher now and everyone with the camera is a photographer now. We need to think outside the box if we want to stay competitive. And for that, we need to reach for our proverbial inner Picasso.

To help people think about it in a different way than they are used to I use a bit unorthodox examples such as analogy of two artists. I have no idea if you are going to like it or not, but I have quite a few free videos here http://www.realworldretouching.com/ and you can decide for yourself. As always feedback is welcome.

P.S.

How do you make a cover for a title about business? There are not beauty image for the cover. At least not in this volume of the series. This is what I came up with as the final cover after like 10 versions. Thanks to everyone who provided feedback. Hope you like it. smile

http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/8292/z99i.jpg

Aug 30 13 02:39 pm Link

Retoucher

Pictus

Teresópolis, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

WoW!
You are the MAN!!
Congratzzzzzzzzz!!!

Aug 30 13 03:25 pm Link

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

http://imageshack.us/a/img22/9983/markup.jpg

If you’re going to use the cyclist image in your DVD series, and you want the exercise to be an example of a real world retouch situation, you might consider some of the following suggestions I would be given by my clients for this image.

Match color pallet and tone from our other shoot with photographer X.

Lower mountains to avoid tangent with helmet.

Lower right hand to front curve of handlebar to eliminate overlap.

Move left foot forward to clear tangent with right foot.

Raise left heel off ground.

Raise right foot pedal position to higher point.

Use head looking over right shoulder from image _I1P9784.jpg.

I can’t see the seat, use one from image _I1P9785.jpg.

Raise buttocks off of seat

Make sure bike logo pops… sponsors like their name lit up!

We don’t have enough image, give me 2 more inches on left side.

Enlarge bike only, 10%.

Base image looks like it was shot in a parking garage, make it look like a roadway…

Lower curb and make it raw concrete.

Use guardrail from image _I1P9786.jpg.

Make riding surface asphalt.

Sun is setting from the left, but no hint of light from it on bike scene, making scene looks too cut and paste. re-light!

While I appreciate that you are selling to a group of people that probably lack real world experience when it comes to retouch, the stuff you’ve outlined as a work order seems pretty watered down when compared to what is normally requested.

Aug 31 13 11:54 am Link

Photographer

K E E L I N G

Peoria, Illinois, US

Mr Randall's suggestions when imagined in a finished product makes me realize how much I'd rather buy one of his DVD's.  It really did improve the example we were given as a finished product ten fold at the very least.

Aug 31 13 12:24 pm Link

Retoucher

Krunoslav Stifter

Robert Randall wrote:
http://imageshack.us/a/img22/9983/markup.jpg

If you’re going to use the cyclist image in your DVD series, and you want the exercise to be an example of a real world retouch situation, you might consider some of the following suggestions I would be given by my clients for this image.

Match color pallet and tone from our other shoot with photographer X.

Lower mountains to avoid tangent with helmet.

Lower right hand to front curve of handlebar to eliminate overlap.

Move left foot forward to clear tangent with right foot.

Raise left heel off ground.

Raise right foot pedal position to higher point.

Use head looking over right shoulder from image _I1P9784.jpg.

I can’t see the seat, use one from image _I1P9785.jpg.

Raise buttocks off of seat

Make sure bike logo pops… sponsors like their name lit up!

We don’t have enough image, give me 2 more inches on left side.

Enlarge bike only, 10%.

Base image looks like it was shot in a parking garage, make it look like a roadway…

Lower curb and make it raw concrete.

Use guardrail from image _I1P9786.jpg.

Make riding surface asphalt.

Sun is setting from the left, but no hint of light from it on bike scene, making scene looks too cut and paste. re-light!

While I appreciate that you are selling to a group of people that probably lack real world experience when it comes to retouch, the stuff you’ve outlined as a work order seems pretty watered down when compared to what is normally requested.

Yes, I actually did all that, very similar to what you wrote to simulate the client experience. In fact I also was working on emails with a (fake) client to simulate revisions and client requests. Showing back and forth and dealing with a client that may not want the changes we want etc.  You were not part of the people providing feedback so you probably are not aware on what I was working on. This is not the final outline of finished product, this is suggestions and feedback thread. Although if you re read the thread you will see there is quite a bit of miscommunication, no matter what I wrote, people just seem to write whatever they think they need. But like I mentioned in my previous post, first I'll focus on developing a business mindset. big_smile

Aug 31 13 02:50 pm Link

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

Krunoslav-Stifter wrote:
Yes, I actually did all that, very similar to what you wrote to simulate the client experience. In fact I also was working on emails with a (fake) client to simulate revisions and client requests. Showing back and forth and dealing with a client that may not want the changes we want etc.  You were not part of the people providing feedback so you probably are not aware on what I was working on. This is not the final outline of finished product, this is suggestions and feedback thread. Although if you re read the thread you will see there is quite a bit of miscommunication, no matter what I wrote, people just seem to write whatever they think they need. But like I mentioned in my previous post, first I'll focus on developing a business mindset. big_smile

I did read the entire thread; I actually read it twice before I responded. Below is what you wrote that sparked my thought process.

Krunoslav-Stifter wrote:
So this time I plan to work on a cyclist, athlete kind of images. There are 13 raw files and the client pick four for the Magazine. One for Cover and rest in the spread. So I will be working on that. Different techniques and there will be revisions from the client I'm sure. Things like replace the sky, make the stadium longer, change the color of the shirt, remove the logo on the floor, rebuild the logo on the bike etc.

Including color correction techniques and compositing.

I’m not quite sure what you mean, or are implying, when you say people seem to write whatever they think they need, I simply wrote suggestions that might benefit your series. What you had suggested in terms of actual work seemed rather limited in scope, which is almost always contrary to the actual scope of a live job.

As an aside, the reason I had to read your post twice is because there are so many grammatical mistakes. An awful lot of what you are trying to impart gets lost in translation. I realize English is not your native language, and were our roles reversed, I certainly would be hard pressed to communicate correctly in your native language. However, you state on your profile page that you are an educator. If I can’t understand what you’ve written, how can you possibly educate me. I suggest you either lean a bit more heavily on the grammar utility in your favorite word processor, or use a translation service of some kind.

Lastly, and probably the greater stimulus for posting in here, is this…

http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/8292/z99i.jpg

You might want to take a closer look at those reflections; they seem to be defying the laws of physics. I would hate to see you put so much work into a project, only to have its credibility killed on the front cover of the packaging.

Aug 31 13 03:32 pm Link

Retoucher

Krunoslav Stifter

Robert Randall wrote:
You might want to take a closer look at those reflections; they seem to be defying the laws of physics. I would hate to see you put so much work into a project, only to have its credibility killed on the front cover of the packaging.

What do you suggest?

Aug 31 13 03:38 pm Link

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

Krunoslav-Stifter wrote:

What do you suggest?

Make the reflections accurately line up with their source.

Aug 31 13 03:45 pm Link

Retoucher

Krunoslav Stifter

Robert Randall wrote:

Is this better?

http://img839.imageshack.us/img839/8352/rh33.jpg

Aug 31 13 03:59 pm Link

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

Krunoslav-Stifter wrote:

Is this better?

http://img839.imageshack.us/img839/8352/rh33.jpg

You rock!

Now just make certain the box is displayed on a shiny table in the stores.

Aug 31 13 04:11 pm Link

Retoucher

Krunoslav Stifter

Robert Randall wrote:

You rock!

Now just make certain the box is displayed on a shiny table in the stores.

Thank you for the assistance.

Aug 31 13 04:14 pm Link

Retoucher

The Art of Retouching

New Haven, Connecticut, US

I really like how you made your new course about retouching, more about business. I also see questions like these all the time on forums.

I had tried to teach some business at the start of my own course. They became agitated that I wasn't teaching them about Photoshop. So I removed 2 hours of freelance and marketing, and replaced it with pretty girls in Camera Raw. Students were then happy and attentive.

Sep 03 13 07:15 pm Link

Retoucher

Krunoslav Stifter

The Art of Retouching wrote:
I really like how you made your new course about retouching, more about business. I also see questions like these all the time on forums.

I had tried to teach some business at the start of my own course. They became agitated that I wasn't teaching them about Photoshop. So I removed 2 hours of freelance and marketing, and replaced it with pretty girls in Camera Raw. Students were then happy and attentive.

Yes, I know what you mean, exactly. I did a test yesterday. I posted something about preparing images for sending it of to the client it was not even retouching itself, but as soon as they saw Photoshop interface everyone were jumping ten meters high. If I was interested in money only I would have done that for sure. Show people anything else and barely an interest. And yet people ask me about business every day or they mention it. So I guess I'm gambling here a bit. Doing something new and different, hoping enough people will be interested to spread the word. If I made another beauty or fashion video or something like that, everyone would have been happy but me. I need something different for a change. I think it's a cultural thing, something that grew to large extent from forums like these actually. People who decide to try to be freelancers and only thing they see in the job description is; retouching.

But of course, retouching is only one small part of it. Business in essentially innovation and marketing. Many don't innovate and don't market either so they forced to compete on price alone if they are lucky to get a job. Offering the same service like many others it's hard to stand out. And some can't even find work worth while with those skills. But freelancing is not the same thing as being employed in a studio as a retoucher. There is responsibility now for more than just retouching. networking, self promotion, pricing etc. And the number of new retouchers and photographers is rising each year. For many it's a way to make a living. So the competition has gone up. Armed with new tutorials and information, they are raising the bar every year. Tutorials about things that 10 years ago were essentially industry secretes and were very hard to learn from someone are now everywhere, most are available for free. Social media means you can build your business with only sweat equity, and virtually for free. More competition and more opportunity. So It's time to try something new.

But pretty girls in Camera Raw are easy to understand. I have nothing against it and at some point I will do that as well, but maybe in a slightly new way. I'm simply trying something else for a change. When people see a tutorial on retouching, though it will not make them a successful freelancer retoucher, it is associated with that. So I understand the appeal. My challenge now is to convince people that what I'm making is valuable. Just because I think it matters, doesn't mean others will too. But that's OK. It's not meant for everyone. It can't be fore everyone. Just like some people like chocolate and other vanilla. To many people on the planet for all to have same interests. It's not mainstream. It's for early adapters.  If you are one, thank you for the support. I appreciate it. It's risky but without risk there is no reward. Some really like it, others don't care. If I try to sell the idea to everyone I will fail for sure. So I focus on those that have similar views.

I actually started making one DVD and wanted to include a bit about business just a small part, started recording and realized that there is a lot I would like to say about it, same was for other parts of this project. Eventually it grew to the point that it was way to many hours of footage so feedback for people was, to split it into multiple parts. My concern was, who would want to buy this. I can't convince people of this, they will find it boring. But than I decided to do it anyway, and try my best. Who knows what will happen down the line. History is full of people who created something new, got ridiculed for it by the contemporaries and later it's their most famous work. Picasso, Darwin, Galileo, ironically even Van Gogh all of them were in similar position. So I guess even if I fail I can always look back and say, I had the guts to try something new that I believe in. And I will make some pretty girls in Camera Raw tutorials later and I will be fine. No risk no reward. Such is the nature of business. as Robert Kiyosaki has said "In the real world, the smartest people are people who make mistakes and learn. In school, the smartest people don't make mistakes." As an entrepreneur fearing to make a mistake would be a mistake, would it not?

Sep 03 13 08:17 pm Link

Retoucher

The Art of Retouching

New Haven, Connecticut, US

Back in 2012 Neil Gaiman (author) said that he wrote a book only for the money, but would not make any money until the second printing. The good news was that the first print sold out. The bad news was the the publisher went bankrupt before the second printing. He did not make money, nor did he make anything he was proud of.

I made a DVD course. And all other things aside, I feel I put together an excellent product, and proud of the effort. How it sells is another story.

For you, I admire your desire to follow what you think is best. For whats it's worth, I agree with you. I am much more interested in your "different" vision, than the same old stuff. I, for one, would love to hear what you have to say on the subject.

At the end of his speech, Neil said "Make mistakes. Make Glorious and Fantastic mistakes. Make Art."

Too True.

Sep 05 13 11:39 am Link

Retoucher

Krunoslav Stifter

The Art of Retouching wrote:
Back in 2012 Neil Gaiman (author) said that he wrote a book only for the money, but would not make any money until the second printing. The good news was that the first print sold out. The bad news was the the publisher went bankrupt before the second printing. He did not make money, nor did he make anything he was proud of.

I made a DVD course. And all other things aside, I feel I put together an excellent product, and proud of the effort. How it sells is another story.

For you, I admire your desire to follow what you think is best. For whats it's worth, I agree with you. I am much more interested in your "different" vision, than the same old stuff. I, for one, would love to hear what you have to say on the subject.

At the end of his speech, Neil said "Make mistakes. Make Glorious and Fantastic mistakes. Make Art."

Too True.

You mean this speech? That was actually part of the inspiration, lol Love that speech.

Neil Gaiman - Inspirational Commencement Speech at the University of the Arts 2012
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikAb-NYkseI

Sep 05 13 02:33 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Robert Randall wrote:

Good suggestion.

Sep 05 13 02:45 pm Link