Forums > Model Colloquy > Rates for nude modelling?

Model

Kimmi Fox

London, England, United Kingdom

I was just wondering on what the typical rate for offering nude shoots is? I'm pretty new to this whole thing, so don't particularly want to get taken advantage of, but nor do I want to miss some great opportunities.

Oct 02 12 02:08 am Link

Model

Jordan Bunniie

Los Angeles, California, US

Kimmi Fox wrote:
I was just wondering on what the typical rate for offering nude shoots is? I'm pretty new to this whole thing, so don't particularly want to get taken advantage of, but nor do I want to miss some great opportunities.

Search the forums for "rates" you'll see thousands of threads just like this one.

The answer is simple. There is no set answer. It depends. Depends on your look and often experience level, the project and usage, who is paying(a third party client or is the photographer the client), etc.

Look at other models in your area who are working and at your level. See what they charge, start from there. But Chances are, you will be surprised at how many amazing models do trade, or charge very little for what they have to offer.

If someone is asking your rates, ask for their budget or ask them to make you an offer.

Oct 02 12 02:25 am Link

Photographer

Kent Art Photography

Ashford, England, United Kingdom

I thought £15.00 - £25.00 was the going rate for life models, but I've recently been told it's gone up a bit since I was hiring.

For photographic work I would pay anything from £40.00 to £250.00, but you would probably need major surgery to fit the sort of work I do.

Often, photographers will ask models what their rates are because the photographers themselves haven't got a clue what they should be paying.

Try negotiating?

Oct 02 12 03:32 am Link

Photographer

Art of the nude

Olivet, Michigan, US

Kimmi Fox wrote:

Usually, I'm willing to do them on a trade basis, although sometimes I charge $100-$300.

Oct 02 12 05:04 am Link

Artist/Painter

Two Pears Studio

Wilmington, Delaware, US

Difficult question to give a good answer to. The simplest answer is what ever the market will bear or as much as you can.

Start out at $50 per hour and if you have so much work you are knackered all the time... bump it to 100... and top out when your work load is manageable. If you treat it like a job... then being your best is your job... like a pro athlete your body is your tool, so keep it sharp and work ready.

Oct 02 12 05:20 am Link

Photographer

Thomas Van Dyke

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Jordan Bunniie wrote:
...ask for their budget...

+1  This is what works for the lion's share of commercial assignments...

Oct 02 12 05:30 am Link

Photographer

Cherrystone

Columbus, Ohio, US

Very subjective with a ton of variables.

Get what you can get. If you're not getting work at the price your quoting, lower it. If you're getting too much work, raise it.

But know this.....just because you get a ridiculous amount of $$$ from one person, does NOT mean you will get that from everyone.

Oct 02 12 05:32 am Link

Photographer

River Art

Kansas City, Kansas, US

Two Pears Studio wrote:
Difficult question to give a good answer to. The simplest answer is what ever the market will bear or as much as you can.

Start out at $50 per hour and if you have so much work you are knackered all the time... bump it to 100... and top out when your work load is manageable. If you treat it like a job... then being your best is your job... like a pro athlete your body is your tool, so keep it sharp and work ready.

This is about the best advice I can give you as well. Start with what gets you work. I often see models quoting "my rates are industry standard" but that's about as helpful as a screen door on a submarine. The standards here in the midwest are probably not what they are in LA, NYC, or London.

Oct 02 12 06:01 am Link

Photographer

Alan John Images

Washington, District of Columbia, US

What I think is more important than how much you charge for nude work per hour or session, is the way you 'advertise' or 'explain' your rates.  If you state a certain rate, but make no mention of an appreciation for working as a model for 'nude' work, it sounds like you are only interested in the money, which might turn people off. If you mention a rate and include the fact that you find nude photography an interesting form of expression (and are sincere about it), I think it will make a better impression and more work. When I get messages that sound like a model is purely interested in an economic transaction, I lose all interest in working with her/him. IMHO

Oct 02 12 06:15 am Link

Photographer

RJ Ohrstedt

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Alan John Images wrote:
What I think is more important than how much you charge for nude work per hour or session, is the way you 'advertise' or 'explain' your rates.  If you state a certain rate, but make no mention of an appreciation for working as a model for 'nude' work, it sounds like you are only interested in the money, which might turn people off. If you mention a rate and include the fact that you find nude photography an interesting form of expression (and are sincere about it), I think it will make a better impression and more work. When I get messages that sound like a model is purely interested in an economic transaction, I lose all interest in working with her/him. IMHO

+1  Most of my nude work is done as artistic expression; I've sold very little of it (I only sell it as artwork in galleries, after all). So the model has to be as enthusiastic and creative as I am, at least. I've paid a whole lot for inspired, very experienced and enthusiastic models when I needed a certain look. Most times, though, it is for trade.

Oct 02 12 06:30 am Link

Model

Kimmi Fox

Thank you everyone for your help and advice, going to take it all on board.

Oct 02 12 06:52 am Link

Photographer

B R U N E S C I

Bath, England, United Kingdom

In the UK, rates start from around £20 per hour for newbie and part-time nude models (girls who do it at the weekend etc.) and go up to around £50 per hour (£300 per day) for a professional nude model of the standard of Kayt Webster-Brown, Madame Bink or Ivory Flame.

You're unlikely to get those sort of rates starting out though.

Just my $0.02

Ciao
Stefano
www.stefanobrunesci.com

Oct 02 12 06:57 am Link

Photographer

Rob Photosby

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Alan John Images wrote:
When I get messages that sound like a model is purely interested in an economic transaction, I lose all interest in working with her/him. IMHO

I'll second that.

Oct 02 12 07:33 am Link

Photographer

AJ_In_Atlanta

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Rates are all over the place and most of my clients have a budget so it's a take it or leave it offer.  Generally It depends on the models look and to some degree expierence.  Most are willing to pay more to know the model is expierenced and can deliver without a lot of hand holding.  Notice that wardrobe had nothing to do with that...

P.S. fame is another one that impacts rates.  It can earn a model more but it can also make a model wrong for the job.

Oct 02 12 07:45 am Link

Model

NicoleNudes

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Jordan Bunniie wrote:

Search the forums for "rates" you'll see thousands of threads just like this one.

The answer is simple. There is no set answer. It depends. Depends on your look and often experience level, the project and usage, who is paying(a third party client or is the photographer the client), etc.

Look at other models in your area who are working and at your level. See what they charge, start from there. But Chances are, you will be surprised at how many amazing models do trade, or charge very little for what they have to offer.

If someone is asking your rates, ask for their budget or ask them to make you an offer.

+1

Oct 02 12 07:54 am Link

Model

Izrah

Rolling Meadows, Illinois, US

Two Pears Studio wrote:

this +1!!

Im at $60 right now after Ive been nude modeling for two years, I'd tack on an extra $10/hr for erotica.

Oct 02 12 08:02 am Link

Model

a raw muse

Amundsen-Scott - permanent station of the US, Unclaimed Sector, Antarctica

I'll reiterate that nude/not nude doesn't impact how much I'd quote if asked my rate.

Actually the highest-paying gig I had recently was a clothed reference photo shoot for an abstract artist.

What I take into consideration is intended use; if it's for commercial usage, I'd ask for higher pay; for portfolio/non-commercial use, I'd be more willing to work within a smaller budget.

Oct 02 12 08:08 am Link

Photographer

M Pandolfo Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

indefinite anomaly wrote:
I'll reiterate that nude/not nude doesn't impact how much I'd quote if asked my rate.

Actually the highest-paying gig I had recently was a clothed reference photo shoot for an abstract artist.

What I take into consideration is intended use; if it's for commercial usage, I'd ask for higher pay; for portfolio/non-commercial use, I'd be more willing to work within a smaller budget.

Muah! Bravo.

Oct 02 12 08:14 am Link

Photographer

M Pandolfo Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

I wouldn't normally give a rate in a thread because, as everyone has says, it depends...on usage, on the market, etc.

In your case, if I had to give a set number, I would say starting out at 30 GBP (around $50 USD)/hour might be a good way to judge the market. I also don't think too many photographers would be outraged at that rate.

Oct 02 12 08:19 am Link

Photographer

howard r

Los Angeles, California, US

don't let yourself be taken advantage of, but at the same time - remember that often the best photographers pay very little or not at all. i think it's very important to set some time aside for these kinds of shoots, especially when you're just starting out. they will provide you with your best images, they will teach you the most about your craft, and ultimately - they will help you charge the highest rates.

Oct 02 12 08:22 am Link

Photographer

Photographe

Bristol, England, United Kingdom

Via the internet you're looking at from £25 to £50.

A majority of experienced and people with portfolios quote a minimum of £35.

In my mind a reasonable rate is £40, but there is obviously competition.

I have a friend who is very happy modelling shibari for £25.

I tend to price the project as a whole and offer a lump sum.

Some people work with me for free for either reasons of portfolio/learning or comfort/experience.

Some people pay me.

There are obviously many ways to increase internet income beyond the hourly rate, but that sometimes means taking a hit in the cash upfront and thinking like an entrepreneur, producer, understanding the value of PR and being prepared to put time into projects.

Oct 02 12 08:39 am Link

Model

V Laroche

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

Oh man, thank god somebody finally asked this question.

Oct 02 12 11:08 am Link

Model

Sierra McKenzie

Seattle, Washington, US

Start somewhere. (50/hr isn't a bad place to start).

If you get overbooked and are scheduled weeks out, raise it.

If you're not working often enough, lower it.

And don't get discouraged if some people turn down your rate. That is normal. Adjust based on the overall as opposed to panicking based off of one or two interactions.

That's my advice model to model.

Oct 02 12 12:21 pm Link

Model

Kimmi Fox

Also about how it may '' put photographers off'', I was asked what my rates are, I did not say to them ''well i'll only do it for xxx much'', so I purely wanted to know what an average rate is, so I could reply back.

Oct 03 12 04:23 am Link

Model

Cole Morrison

Portland, Oregon, US

My rates very vastly depending on budget and project. My standard is 45 USD / hr but can also be paid in non monetary things or different dollar amounts.

Oct 03 12 04:59 am Link

Photographer

Kent Art Photography

Ashford, England, United Kingdom

Kimmi Fox wrote:
Also about how it may '' put photographers off'', I was asked what my rates are, I did not say to them ''well i'll only do it for xxx much'', so I purely wanted to know what an average rate is, so I could reply back.

Do you think he knows what other models are charging?

My suspicion is that he doesn't know how much to pay you, so he's asking you how much you charge.

There are no fixed rates for these circumstances, as you may have gathered from the posts above, you've got to come to some sort of agreement about what you both think is reasonable.  Tell him you like his work, and you would like to work with him, and all that, and ask him what his budget is.  Then take that figure and tell him what your expenses are likely to be, and see if he will go up a bit.  You might have to do this a couple of times.  Then you can decide whether the job is worth doing for the money on offer, and take it or turn it down.

Oct 03 12 05:15 am Link

Photographer

Risen Phoenix Photo

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

When a model asks me what my budget is , that is the first indication that they are being insincere.  They are just determining what the "market" will bare.

I think you should confident in your rates and go from there.

However don't say you have reasonable rates and than quote $100 per hour for 2 hour min.   Most models charging that are not worth it, and don't have a port that would support that rate.

Just my opinion

Oct 03 12 08:33 pm Link

Photographer

Tommy Dunlap

Memphis, Tennessee, US

As a part time, but serious hobby photographer in the southern US, I have paid local models without travel expenses $35-$50/hr and paid traveling models coming through my area up to $85-100/hr. But whether I am willing to pay the higher rate very much depends on whether I like the model's "look", so what is in her port is important; as is how "difficult" I percieve her to be from communication on MM or email or phone. I may be willing to pay top dollar due to her port, but don't book her because I get the impression she is being difficult to work with (boyfriend on the set, etc.), and to be honest have had models decline a high paying gig with me because they don't like something about me or my requirements.
~tommy

Oct 09 12 12:38 pm Link

Model

AnnaLisaZ

Culver City, California, US

I have been nude modeling for a good couple of years smile
So if you are just starting out around $50-75/hr
I charge ANYWHERE from $50-$150/hr depending on content and model release ect. Also it depends on if you get a good vibe from photographer lots of dialog is important!

Oct 09 12 12:50 pm Link

Photographer

Rob Photosby

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

May I offer you two bits of advice.

First, keep in mind that, for reasons of vanity, many people exaggerate about a number of things, including how much money they get, so you should discount some quoted figures accordingly.

Second, success in modelling is not just about looks. It is also about posing ability, creativity and reputation, all of which improve with experience. Hence, you are better off to price yourself at or below the bottom of the range in the interest of getting work and building your skills.  As your skills rise, your rates can rise.

Occasionally, you will get taken advantage of, but that is unavoidable.  On the other hand, modelling careers are comparatively short because they do not fit well with full-time studies, full-time work, motherhood, etc, and, if you chase the dollars too quickly, you will lose many opportunities, but, by the time you realise what has happened, you will be close to the end of your modelling window.

Oct 09 12 04:49 pm Link

Artist/Painter

HGreenhalgh

Richmond, Massachusetts, US

Modeling fees for artists and art schools are usually less than photographic gigs.  The end result of maybe one painting vs many photographs is something the model should consider.  Also the nature of the work is different.  Longer poses, and less creativity on the model's part (unless the photographer is directing the shots).  If the artist is working on a major piece, multiple sessions are often required to complete the painting.  Unfortunately, the model isn't likely to get anything for her/his portfolio either.

Oct 09 12 06:54 pm Link

Photographer

Risen Phoenix Photo

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

For a starting model with no experience I shoot TF

With some experience I shoot TF or $25 per hour

For a known art model who has some experience I may pay $50 per hour

For a great Art model. $75 to $100 per hour.

The truth is even the famous traveling models shoot TF with a number of photographers on their tours.  Than they try to fill in with up and commers and GWC's and Newbe's who they hope will pay their rates or more.  This is how they fund the trips to shoot with the guys they want to.

The truth is I believe the Glamour Playboy style models can command a greater price and usually get it from the hobby photographers.  Art models may get up to $100 per hour with a 2 hour minimum.

For models I would say charge what the market will bare. Get as much as you can.  What the heck if you are traveling you will probably never see the photog again.  If they pay over and over they are obviously well to do 1% ers.

For photographers I would say as you are learning pay for the good models they will improve your port.  As your port gets better and models come to you, than work TF with these models and don't pay unless you are being paid by a client.

The very best photographers don't pay and they shoot with the most amazing models even the traveling ones.

Oct 09 12 07:51 pm Link

Photographer

- BP Photo -

Cincinnati, Ohio, US

Oct 11 12 01:00 pm Link

Photographer

Stanley L Moore

Houston, Texas, US

Kent Art Photography wrote:
I thought £15.00 - £25.00 was the going rate for life models, but I've recently been told it's gone up a bit since I was hiring.

For photographic work I would pay anything from £40.00 to £250.00, but you would probably need major surgery to fit the sort of work I do.

Often, photographers will ask models what their rates are because the photographers themselves haven't got a clue what they should be paying.

Try negotiating?

Even WITH major surgery I doubt the OP wpould qualitfy as your model. LOL. You are right about not knowing what to offer. Male models especially thouse who do nude work command a higher price than females.

I ask models theri rates as a matter of course and most have a good idea of what they want especially if they have much experience. My guys are not pro models as such but do enough shoots to have established rates. One guy who I asked for rates replied back he understood industry standard  was $75/hour. He had obviiously asked around. I sometimes run itno the problem of models talking among themselves and if theri buddy got a certain rate they want eh same.

You are quite right. Negotiate negotiate negotiate. I did have a recent model who asked a very low rate and I had to negotiate him up a bit so I would not feel like I was taking advantage.

Oct 11 12 03:23 pm Link

Model

CancelledAccountDelete

Exeter, England, United Kingdom

I recently was told to set my rates at
£30 clothed/lingerie
£40 topless
£50 nude.
But i've had photographers moan when i asked for £25, depends what your happy with i guess.

Oct 12 12 10:43 pm Link

Photographer

50 shades of ink

Antelope, California, US

Always use Union rates but it depends on what type of model you are and how you connect

Oct 12 12 11:14 pm Link

Model

Figuremodel001

Chicago, Illinois, US

Kimmi Fox wrote:

Been a question for years

Oct 14 12 11:37 am Link

Photographer

DeeEight

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Kent Art Photography wrote:

+1

Oct 18 12 07:57 am Link