Forums > Model Colloquy > A proper name for 40+ models

Model

modelmargaretha

Posts: 190

Emmen, Drenthe, Netherlands

I am signed into some national and international agencies and they all have different names for the my age-group.  The category is called: senior models, special models, specials, best-ager models, classic models, character, people women, mature models, lady model, ladies or just 40-50 group......  There is no standard and sometimes it is very confusing as " senior models" are for instance in other agencies 65 +............


What do you all think should be a proper name or the best name?

Oct 03 12 08:20 am Link

Photographer

Tony KnightHawk Studios

Posts: 1900

Fort Myers Beach, Florida, US

Spartans

Oct 03 12 08:24 am Link

Photographer

Bravoscape

Posts: 259

Frederick, Maryland, US

Model...model would be the best name. I have seen 50+ yo models that look like they are 30 (naturally).

Just my opinion...but age shouldn't matter.


A good "label" would be mature.

Oct 03 12 08:26 am Link

Model

CamiAnn

Posts: 794

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I see what you mean..."senior" doesn't quite fit and neither does "mature".  I think it should be 40+ and Fabulous!  smile

Oct 03 12 08:28 am Link

Model

Jen B

Posts: 3638

Nashville, Tennessee, US

model-maria wrote:
I am signed into some national and international agencies and they all have different names for the my age-group.  The category is called: senior models, special models, specials, best-ager models, classic models, character, people women, mature models, lady model, ladies or just 40-50 group......  There is no standard and sometimes it is very confusing as " senior models" are for instance in other agencies 65 +............


What do you all think should be a proper name or the best name?

Hello Maria!

I think I like divisions such as:
40+ life-style
40+ character
50+ life-style
50+ character

While I think there is definate crossover for a life-style model to be a character I think it would be clear that if they are looking for a specific editorial/commercial look that life-style is the focus.

However, I wouldn't want to be limited away from doing characters either. At least, for me this is hypothetical because I'm not signed yet! wink
Jen

Oct 03 12 08:29 am Link

Photographer

Light and Lens Studio

Posts: 2010

Sisters, Oregon, US

Cougars?  smile

Oct 03 12 08:36 am Link

Photographer

J Welborn

Posts: 2552

Clarksville, Tennessee, US

Just plain model ---the only thing that applies

Oct 03 12 08:40 am Link

Photographer

MesmerEyes Photography

Posts: 3102

Tyler, Texas, US

Bravoscape wrote:
... I have seen 50+ yo models that look like they are 30 (naturally).

Just my opinion...but age shouldn't matter...

This. I know it isn't PC but they should be grouped with their skill and style that fits them best.

Oct 03 12 08:43 am Link

Photographer

Brett Hunt

Posts: 3131

Washington Court House, Ohio, US

beautiful

Oct 03 12 08:45 am Link

Model

modelmargaretha

Posts: 190

Emmen, Drenthe, Netherlands

I totally agree, but somehow agencies always are splitting up llamas by age..........

Oct 03 12 08:46 am Link

Model

Nylon

Posts: 414

Singapore, Singapore, Singapore

model-maria wrote:
I totally agree, but somehow agencies always are splitting up models by age..........

I've always wondered about this age thingy....I mean if you're an attractive model that can sell a product/photographs well/generally awesome, does age matter?

Oct 03 12 08:49 am Link

Model

COCO in WA

Posts: 1

Seattle, Washington, US

I refer to myself as a woman of age ... senior, mature and cougar just don't work for me.

Oct 03 12 08:54 am Link

Model

MatureModelMM

Posts: 1440

Detroit, Michigan, US

Out of the list given by the OP, I really like Classic Model the best. But could you ever get all the different sites and agencies to agree on using one specific category name? I really don't think that is going to happen. I do not like the use of the word "senior" and particularly dislike being referred to as a senior citizen which they seem to start doing at age 50 or 55 in stores and so on.

I started using the name MatureModel as my stage name back in 1987 when I was 35 and first started posing in the nude for artists and photographers  Now I just turned 60 and still think it works for me. I added the MM to the end of it when joining this site several months ago.

Oct 03 12 09:09 am Link

Model

CamiAnn

Posts: 794

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

COCO in WA wrote:
I refer to myself as a woman of age ... senior, mature and cougar just don't work for me.

+1  Not all 40+ women are "cougars" either...I don't chase after young men...they might chase me wink but I do know the reality of that.

Oct 03 12 09:10 am Link

Model

CamiAnn

Posts: 794

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Nylon wrote:

I've always wondered about this age thingy....I mean if you're an attractive model that can sell a product/photographs well/generally awesome, does age matter?

+1  I agree...but they always want to "label" us for some reason...if we are right for the shoot, then does it matter?

Oct 03 12 09:11 am Link

Model

BeatnikDiva

Posts: 14823

Fayetteville, Arkansas, US

Model.

Oct 03 12 09:13 am Link

Model

MatureModelMM

Posts: 1440

Detroit, Michigan, US

Nylon wrote:
I've always wondered about this age thingy....I mean if you're an attractive model that can sell a product/photographs well/generally awesome, does age matter?

Sometimes it does matter, the other day I read a posting here that said no one would buy wrinkle cream that was advertised by a 20 year old model. I agree with that. I would be more likely to buy things or services that were advertised by a model over 50 if those things were directed at people who were older.

My experience has been that there are many artists and photographers that prefer to work with older models. Often they refer to those of us who are over 35 or over 40 as having the style they are looking for, whatever that means.

I also find that the older I get, there is more interest from artists and photographers who say they are not finding very many models over about the age of 50 who will model in the nude.

Oct 03 12 09:16 am Link

Model

Alabaster Crowley

Posts: 8282

Tucson, Arizona, US

model-maria wrote:
people women

As opposed to the women who are not people?

Oct 03 12 10:01 am Link

Photographer

Brooklyn Bridge Images

Posts: 10601

Brooklyn, New York, US

Alabaster Crowley wrote:

As opposed to the women who are not people?

Sure could be Cylons

Oct 03 12 10:05 am Link

Model

Isis22

Posts: 3047

Muncie, Indiana, US

I like 40+. I agree "senior" just makes me think of senior citizens. "Classic" isn't bad either.

I used to sell cosmetics at a department store and my line was one that focused on "mature" skin so I had a hard time with women buying it because I looked so young. There are disadvantages to looking a lot younger than your age!

Oct 03 12 10:08 am Link

Photographer

M Pandolfo Photography

Posts: 12117

Tampa, Florida, US

Usually the age group prior to "senior models" is often called "Lifestyle Models." That works for me.

Oct 03 12 10:09 am Link

Photographer

Good Egg Productions

Posts: 16201

Orlando, Florida, US

DivaEroticus wrote:
Model.

This.

Oct 03 12 10:16 am Link

Artist/Painter

Sid Rodriguez

Posts: 234

Wilmington, Delaware, US

hopefully professional... or maybe just "model"

Oct 03 12 03:37 pm Link

Model

Alabaster Crowley

Posts: 8282

Tucson, Arizona, US

Michael Pandolfo wrote:
Usually the age group prior to "senior models" is often called "Lifestyle Models." That works for me.

I thought lifestyle was typically just a genre. It's often stock photos, like people doing ordinary daily life things (Cooking, riding a bike, walking a dog, etc.) that can be used in advertisements.

Oct 03 12 04:01 pm Link

Model

Nylon

Posts: 414

Singapore, Singapore, Singapore

Alabaster Crowley wrote:

I thought lifestyle was typically just a genre. It's often stock photos, like people doing ordinary daily life things (Cooking, riding a bike, walking a dog, etc.) that can be used in advertisements.

+1 Yeah that's what I thought too.

Oct 03 12 07:06 pm Link

Photographer

GER Photography

Posts: 8388

Imperial, California, US

MILP's Mom's I'd like to photograph? :-)))))))

Oct 03 12 07:09 pm Link

Model

CRIMSON REIGN

Posts: 829

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Nylon wrote:

I've always wondered about this age thingy....I mean if you're an attractive model that can sell a product/photographs well/generally awesome, does age matter?

+1

some models that are younger and fall into the 21+ category look older than the 40+ models and vice versa...lol!

Oct 03 12 07:11 pm Link

Photographer

MesmerEyes Photography

Posts: 3102

Tyler, Texas, US

Brooklyn Bridge Images wrote:
Sure could be Cylons

The Battlestar Gallactica took care of all those didn't it?

Oct 03 12 07:14 pm Link

Model

Svetlana Muerte

Posts: 924

Austin, Texas, US

"Senior model" just doesn't work here. When I think of senior models, I envision that couple in SkyMall magazine. They are definitely 55+ in that "aging gracefully" lifestyle manner. With earphones to block out that man's blasted snoring/talking!

I wouldn't put that look in the same category of most 40+ models on MM. Dora Miller (who also lives in Austin) is 47 and is definitely a glamour model.

With lifestyle modeling (let me pretend to sexually harass a coworker over here while I clean out my oven), you'd think the over 40 would be separated from the over 50. Just as I don't expect to be in the same category as 20 year olds. 

Why not just separate by decade based on the model's look? I find that castings for acting and modeling are pretty specific about that. The labels the OP listed seem outmoded today. Are advertisers really looking for "classic" models...and if so, what do they really mean? Heidi Klum or Helen Mirren?

Oct 03 12 07:32 pm Link

Photographer

Jhono Bashian

Posts: 2458

Cleveland, Ohio, US

these models have experience

Oct 03 12 07:39 pm Link

Model

Jules NYC

Posts: 17888

New York, New York, US

Hummm

https://i.chzbgr.com/completestore/12/5/20/IeOPwLDbFEa_Xit6SP_AEQ2.jpg

Oct 03 12 07:44 pm Link

Model

CamiAnn

Posts: 794

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Jules NYC wrote:
Hummm

https://i.chzbgr.com/completestore/12/5/20/IeOPwLDbFEa_Xit6SP_AEQ2.jpg

Hmmm...I just see it as a cat with glasses on wink

Oct 03 12 07:52 pm Link

Photographer

M Pandolfo Photography

Posts: 12117

Tampa, Florida, US

Alabaster Crowley wrote:

I thought lifestyle was typically just a genre. It's often stock photos, like people doing ordinary daily life things (Cooking, riding a bike, walking a dog, etc.) that can be used in advertisements.

You're right...it is a genre. The agencies I worked at (ad agencies) used the term Lifestyle Models to refer to more mature models who fell outside the fashion or glamour realm. That age group was also the primary age group for doing lifestyle-type collateral so when we would ask for Lifestyle Models, the modeling agencies knew not to send models under 35 or who had an overtly fashion look.

It seems to be a catch-all term but I thought it was a more tactful term than "Senior" (which was always used to refer to the 55+ demographic). Even if I was a senior I'd hate that term.

I think the other terms were more based on the generation of the model - Boomers, Gen X, Gen Y, etc.

Oct 03 12 07:52 pm Link

Model

Svetlana Muerte

Posts: 924

Austin, Texas, US

Michael Pandolfo wrote:

You're right...it is a genre. The agencies I worked at (ad agencies) used the term Lifestyle Models to refer to more mature models who fell outside the fashion or glamour realm. That age group was also the primary age group for doing lifestyle-type collateral so when we would ask for Lifestyle Models, the modeling agencies knew not to send models under 35 or who had an overtly fashion look.

It seems to be a catch-all term but I thought it was a more tactful term than "Senior" (which was always used to refer to the 55+ demographic). Even if I was a senior I'd hate that term.

I think the other terms were more based on the generation of the model - Boomers, Gen X, Gen Y, etc.

This sounds more descriptive.

And especially because I don't want to think of 55-60 year old guys as seniors. Because Liam Neeson.

Oct 03 12 08:01 pm Link

Model

Jen B

Posts: 3638

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Light and Lens Studio wrote:
Cougars?  smile

I think cougars are a different entity all together. They kinda scare me as they wear so much make up in real life...with tight clothes and soap opera hair and all, right? On the prowl, ick. Then again I am a 46 year old woman and not a cougar so maybe that is why they creep me out.
Jen

Oct 03 12 11:30 pm Link

Model

CamiAnn

Posts: 794

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Gennaver wrote:
I think cougars are a different entity all together. They kinda scare me as they wear so much make up in real life...with tight clothes and soap opera hair and all, right? On the prowl, ick. Then again I am a 46 year old woman and not a cougar so maybe that is why they creep me out.
Jen

There are all kinds of "cougars" out there...its just a term given to women who date men younger than themselves...is there anything wrong with that?  I, for one, don't think so...after all, men date women much younger than themselves and no one thinks twice about it unless it's like a 30 or more year difference...It doesn't mean all women who are given the title of "cougar" wear too much makeup, tight clothes or soap opera hair (what is that exactly?)...not a diss on anyone, just want to clear up some issues on how women 40+ are viewed.  I have been called a "cougar" before and even was named "cougar of the month" on a couple of cougar sites...the guys who ran the sites nominated me, approached me and asked me and I said, sure why not? and while I'm not sure how I feel about that term anymore, yes, I have dated guys younger than me, but they are the ones pursuing me.  wink  I also certainly don't think I fit the description given as I'm not "on the prowl" nor do I have soap opera hair, etc.  Just my POV. We are talking about models who are 40+ anyway aren't we?  smile

Oct 04 12 08:35 pm Link

Photographer

Blue Mini Photography

Posts: 1698

Tempe, Arizona, US

Fabulous!

Oct 04 12 08:40 pm Link

Model

Jen B

Posts: 3638

Nashville, Tennessee, US

CamiAnn wrote:
There are all kinds of "cougars" out there...its just a term given to women who date men younger than themselves...is there anything wrong with that?  I, for one, don't think so...after all, men date women much younger than themselves and no one thinks twice about it unless it's like a 30 or more year difference...It doesn't mean all women who are given the title of "cougar" wear too much makeup, tight clothes or soap opera hair (what is that exactly?)...not a diss on anyone, just want to clear up some issues on how women 40+ are viewed.  I have been called a "cougar" before and even was named "cougar of the month" on a couple of cougar sites...the guys who ran the sites nominated me, approached me and asked me and I said, sure why not? and while I'm not sure how I feel about that term anymore, yes, I have dated guys younger than me, but they are the ones pursuing me.  wink  I also certainly don't think I fit the description given as I'm not "on the prowl" nor do I have soap opera hair, etc.  Just my POV. We are talking about models who are 40+ anyway aren't we?  smile

Hi,
I don't think you fit the old definition of cougar either. You are merely dating down in age and that is not a cougar.

A cougar is on the prowl for sexual conquests versus a kitten who is a playful sexual romp. At least, that is what it meant when I first understood the term. Maybe the common definition has changed.

Regardless, I don't think that age makes someone a cougar but, mindset and intention do.
Jen
p.s.  edit to add, this is the type I was referring to:
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=cougar which is the opposite of
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.p … sex+kitten

Oct 04 12 09:10 pm Link

Photographer

Jim Cookfair

Posts: 245

Buffalo, New York, US

how about 'fortastic'

Oct 04 12 09:17 pm Link

Model

modelmargaretha

Posts: 190

Emmen, Drenthe, Netherlands

Thank you all.  I will send some of the suggestions to the agencies....  ;>)

And yes it is really truth: on one agency I am in a category: People Women.... 

xx Maria

Oct 07 12 03:36 am Link