Forums > Photography Talk > How does effect you when a model ....

Photographer

In Balance Photography

Boston, Massachusetts, US

AJScalzitti wrote:
I think people are missing some specifics.  To me a bad image that makes me pass is something over photoshoped, not something simple like bad composition, GWC, or cell phone shots. 

Its easy enough to look past that, but I would not risk a shoot an over processed image.  How can you be sure what the model really looks like

This is my position too.

Oct 08 12 05:11 am Link

Photographer

Jeff Fiore

Brooklyn, New York, US

Photo Visions wrote:
If they are really horrible, or all cell phone pics, i will pass her and look else where. Unless i see a lot of potential.

I also look at their profile and what they have written.
Lots of new models write very demanding nonsense. ie, copies of all photos and end of shoot, $150.00 per hour, 3 hour min,etc.

I look at potential too. Sometime you find a diamond in the rough, other times, just a lump of coal.

If a newbie has all these demands and is looking to get paid just because she will get naked, I pass. I will take a chance on a newbie but if I ever pay a model, she better have a stellar port.

Oct 08 12 05:16 am Link

Photographer

Steinberg Photo

Boston, Massachusetts, US

I'm in general agreement with the other posts. When dealing with newbies, I look at the model, not the photos. I know I can give them high quality images. If I do end up working with them, I urge them to remove the low quality images ASAP.

Oct 08 12 07:14 pm Link

Photographer

Dan D Lyons Imagery

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Dan K Photography wrote:
I have confidence in myself. So no, bad photos in a port do not concern me (except my own). Only her look does.

+1

I'm in the same camp as Dan on this one. If the pix are so bad I cannot see her clearly, and she's approaching *me to shoot unpaid, I'll ask her for a clear mirror-shot or something like that. The quality of the images in her portfolio only indicate anything to me if she's been a member for some time (over 2 yrs, for example). It may mean she's a pain in the kiester to deal with, and better shooters don't lower themselves to shoot with an arsehole unpaid. It could only mean they're busy, and their side-hobby of modelling has had a number of dry stretches so they never really got shooting with any better shooters. I don't give it too much thought, really. If their stats sound good, I look at how they look - generally. If I'm interested, I read their About Me and see how their personality conveys in their write-up. Why would I care about the photography of others they've modelled for previously?

Danny

Oct 08 12 11:08 pm Link

Photographer

Dannielle Levan

New Westminster, British Columbia, Canada

PTPhotoUT wrote:
It tells me that they need to work with a professional and not just a GWC.

This, to a certain point. If they're new and have a good look, I may bite.
If they present themselves as 'experienced' and ask for pay with cell phone pictures, back in the barrel you go!

Oct 08 12 11:09 pm Link

Photographer

Seste Proleterske

Sarajevo, Federacija Bosna i Hercegovina, Bosnia and Herzegovina

Dan K Photography wrote:
I have confidence in myself. So no, bad photos in a port do not concern me (except my own). Only her look does.

+1
enough said

Oct 09 12 05:17 am Link

Photographer

ArtisticGlamour

Phoenix, Arizona, US

I shoot ONLY TF* shoots for fun, so I enjoy shooting with "new" models, and they often only have a couple "beginning" shots in their portfolio. I enjoy working with them, and I hope to help them bring something new to their portfolio, that shows their real character and inner beauty in some kind of a positive way.

So, I don't skip those type of models.

But, what I DO skip is the new model with 4 sub-par pictures in her portfolio...that wants to charge me GWC rates for the "privilege" of shooting her pouty (and mercenary) diva face. NO thanks. It's all about good attitude to me, I can work with the rest of it.

wink

Oct 09 12 08:24 am Link

Photographer

A_Nova_Photography

Winston-Salem, North Carolina, US

We have a whole bunch of models who have all the same crappy pictures from the same crappy photographer around here. I've spoken to other photographers and we all pretty much skip over them. Some of them look like they have potential and I might take a chance, but in the past I've never gotten replies back so I don't even bother anymore.

Oct 09 12 08:38 am Link

Photographer

SugarSharai photography

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

I find, even the GOOD photographers, that do TF, (obviously your looking at TF models and portfolios, otherwise they wouldnt be getting paid!). I find even sometimes the GOOD ones will NOT sacrifice the BETTER shots from the shoot!!! Let alone the USEABLE shots for your portfolio!! Ive done 3 shoots that the turn out was THEE best, and they were even photographers ive worked with before, and yet, they still give me mediocre shots!!! sad i have to make do with what they supply me, and sometimes most shots make the photography look good, but the model bad, due to bad cropping, lighting, focus, sometimes the shots are of body parts... (What use is that to me??!!! Ugh...).    Etc... Sooo bear in mind, we work with what we are supplied... Unfortunatle they keep the best and most useful shots for OUR port, to themselves...    Which is truely dissapointing. But id recommend looking at the photographer of the photos, and check out who credited them, and worked with them, as THOSE are the photos the PHOTOGRAPHER has supplied... Might give you a general idea as to whos in the wrong...

Oct 09 12 08:47 am Link

Photographer

The Falcons Nest

Brooklyn, New York, US

Unfortunately I've grown shy of recruiting newbies with a port full of cell pics. Not because of the quality of the images but because they don't show up.

I went thru a stint of giving good looking cell-folio* girls a shot while just trying to find new inspiration. I promise you, I've never experienced so many dead grandparents in one shoot day in all my life. Never again. But that's just my experience.

(* you heard it here first ladies and germs.)

Oct 09 12 12:03 pm Link

Photographer

ArtisticGlamour

Phoenix, Arizona, US

The Falcons Nest wrote:
Unfortunately I've grown shy of recruiting newbies with a port full of cell pics. Not because of the quality of the images but because they don't show up.

I went thru a stint of giving good looking cell-folio* girls a shot while just trying to find new inspiration. I promise you, I've never experienced so many dead grandparents in one shoot day in all my life. Never again. But that's just my experience.

I went through that stage too, then I started making sure every shoot was a "collaboration" to include the model's ideas as well as my own...and now not only do the models show up, but they are excited about the concepts and have GREAT chemistry even before the shooting begins!

The other secret is to plan the shoot no further than 4 or 5 days in advance...if you plan a shoot two weeks out a grandmother will invariably die in that timeframe (or a car will break down, or a boyfriend will have an accident, or a paid shoot will take priority, etc).

Oct 09 12 02:57 pm Link