Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Rates for MUA + hair stylist: that have no ports!

Photographer

Bazley Photography

San Francisco, California, US

I am trying to find a team (makeup & hair stylist).  Two friends offered their services but both of them have no portfolio. Just iPhone quality photos. I'll like to incorporate their services into my price packages eventually and I'm unsure of prices for someone starting out and trying to get their name out.

Both aren't much of help either and say "whatever you(or the client) feel it's worth".  But I don't do makeup or hair and have no idea of starting rates!

Oct 03 12 08:50 am Link

Makeup Artist

Diabolical Beauty LLC

Denver, Colorado, US

For an MUA just starting out who has a full kit (all the supplies they need for a shoot), $25 a head is a good starting price. That way if they take a really long time you aren't paying for it.

Oct 03 12 09:00 am Link

Makeup Artist

EmElle Makeup and Hair

San Jose, California, US

They should be working on a portfolio first.  You need to see if they are going to be worth the money.  It would be sad for you to charge for their services, and have them not do a good job, requiring either you to spend hours retouching, or for the client to demand a reshoot on your dime.

If you want to help these girls out, do some free tests with them first.  See how they are on set, see if they are qualified to work for you.  You may find they are great, you may find you would never subject a paying client to one or both of these girls.

Once that's done, I can assure you that $25/head is far too low.  An artist that knows what they are doing, and has a strong kit, would charge you more.

Oct 03 12 09:57 am Link

Makeup Artist

PaintedFaces MUA

Caldwell, New Jersey, US

Crissy M Photography wrote:
I am trying to find a team (makeup & hair stylist).  Two friends offered their services but both of them have no portfolio. Just iPhone quality photos. I'll like to incorporate their services into my price packages eventually and I'm unsure of prices for someone starting out and trying to get their name out.

Both aren't much of help either and say "whatever you(or the client) feel it's worth".  But I don't do makeup or hair and have no idea of starting rates!

When i first started out (very first shoot) I was offered 30$ for 2 models and my portfolio was filled with iphone pictures of makeup looks done in my room. The pictures may be crap quality but everyone has to start SOMEWHERE. Everyone has their FIRST photoshoot. After I did that shoot I had 2-3 good pictures up on my port. I was lucky enough to have some one "trust" my iphone pictures. Dont look at the quality of the picture, look at the quality of the makeup.

20$ first shoot to see their skills.
35$-40$ If you like their work.

Oct 03 12 10:18 am Link

Makeup Artist

TheMakeupMan

Los Angeles, California, US

To me this is like asking   what do you pay a plummer who is just starting out .....or a gardener ?????   If you like them and trust them , pay what youd pay any makeup artist on your team , I have always charged a fair market value price for my work from the day I started , of course now my rates are higher but fair is fair , and if you think they are hacks ....... ask them to do a test shoot with you first to see if the team is a macth , but if your going to pay ,,,,, pay

Oct 03 12 10:26 am Link

Photographer

Thomas Van Dyke

Washington, District of Columbia, US

I am trying to find a team (makeup & hair stylist).

good for you... the synergy of an established team is a wonderful thing to behold... albeit would suggest you use the Mayhem "Casting" function rather than placing this in your profile...

Announcement:
----I'm looking for a MUA or hair stylist that would be interested in TF! No compensation at the moment. Just high-res quality & post processed photos in exchange for your time...

My question to you is why are you not using Mari Perri the make-up artist you collaborated with on your avatar?  Her work certainly enhanced this talent's latent beauty... nurturing a working relationship is an excellent way to build a team...

Friends with no portfolio?  would have significant reservations about their knowledge and tenure with sanitary technique... talent sans professional training (formal or mentoring) would not be a choice for my team, let alone even consider recompense... enough said...

Oct 03 12 10:26 am Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Applying common sense...

1)  The presence or absence of a portfolio isn't as important as proof that they can do the job.  iPhone pictures can indeed be sufficient to prove their abilities.  After all, you are hiring them as MUA/stylist, not as photographers.

2)  One possible benefit for TF* situations is to get some kind of track record for people who might become part of your team in the future.  If you don't know if these people can do the job for you, set up a TF* session first.

3)  More than anything else, rates are set by the local supply & demand of suitable people.  Photographers, models, MUAs, & stylists are all working in a competitive business.  What is the going rate in your town?  (Corollary:  the rates in towns that are 1,000 miles away from you are not overly relevant).

Good luck.

Oct 03 12 10:35 am Link

Makeup Artist

Makeup by Glynis

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I would have some reservations before adding them to a team. They might be awesome artists- or you might be spending awhile photoshopping out a noticeable gap between false and real lashes or a wildly unsymmetrical lip. Do some testing first.

As for rates, I'm new, so at the moment I'm aiming for TF work. However, during school my teacher said the bare minimum for per face work should be $50 (and since joining MM I've seen numerous people say it should be higher). Even a makeover at our local upscale drugstore costs $75.

Oct 03 12 11:00 am Link

Makeup Artist

Jaime Criel Makeup

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

EmElle Makeup and Hair wrote:
They should be working on a portfolio first.  You need to see if they are going to be worth the money.  It would be sad for you to charge for their services, and have them not do a good job, requiring either you to spend hours retouching, or for the client to demand a reshoot on your dime.

If you want to help these girls out, do some free tests with them first.  See how they are on set, see if they are qualified to work for you.  You may find they are great, you may find you would never subject a paying client to one or both of these girls.

Once that's done, I can assure you that $25/head is far too low.  An artist that knows what they are doing, and has a strong kit, would charge you more.

+1

Oct 04 12 08:27 am Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

how can you sell a customer on art they can't see?  they need portfolios before you know what they're worth.... some "artists" I would pay to stay away from my customers, some are worth $600.00 for an hours work.

Oct 05 12 11:21 pm Link

Hair Stylist

Angel Graves

Fort Collins, Colorado, US

Mary wrote:
how can you sell a customer on art they can't see?  they need portfolios before you know what they're worth.... some "artists" I would pay to stay away from my customers, some are worth $600.00 for an hours work.

+1

I TF thru my first several shoots (not because I didn't have skills) to establish a proper port. Even after I began makeup work I still TF my way to a proper MUA port and again when I started wardrobe styling. It's part of those dues you have to pay IMHO.

Now that I'm creating the teams, I still do unpaid tests on a similar project to ensure when we get to paid work that everyone is capable, works together properly & is worth the $$ we've asked for.

Oct 06 12 10:05 am Link