Model

Alivia Autumn

Seattle, Washington, US

How often do you look at age, if someone is outside your desired age range, however you see an enticing avatar do you still click on the rest, or is the age an immediate deal breaker.

Does listing your age, help or hinder you?

Oct 04 12 09:28 pm Link

Photographer

Art of the nude

Grand Rapids, Michigan, US

Alivia Autumn wrote:
How often do you look at age, if someone is outside your desired age range, however you see an enticing avatar do you still click on the rest, or is the age an immediate deal breaker.

I look at age to see if they're 18 or over, for more or less obvious reasons.  If the model is, or appears to be, past the mid 20's, I'm more inclined to want to see nudes before a shoot.

Oct 04 12 10:07 pm Link

Photographer

D-Light

Newcastle, Limerick, Ireland

I always look for the age of the model. I prefer to work with models who are in their mid 20s or older, when it's an option. They're more level headed, have a better idea of what's expected of them.

When I need a younger model I'll check to make sure that she's over 18. Some shoots don't suit an older model, for example, modeling clothes aimed at late teens.

Showing your age make sense. Especially when in your teens or twenties.

Oct 05 12 05:15 am Link

Photographer

William Kious

Delphos, Ohio, US

Age is completely irrelevant. If the llama is right for a look I'm trying to achieve, I don't care how many trips he/she has made around the sun.

Oct 05 12 05:20 am Link

Photographer

B R U N E S C I

Bath, England, United Kingdom

I will certainly think twice before shooting a model who admits to being over 30.

That's less about my preferences though than the fact that most people expect fashion models to be - and look - fairly young, so it's somewhat counter-productive for me to shoot a model who is obviously a lot older.

If I was shooting art nudes or portraits for my own pleasure then I would be less worried about age.

Just my $0.02

Ciao
Stefano
www.stefanobrunesci.com

Oct 05 12 06:19 am Link

Photographer

Risen Phoenix Photo

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

Age is not a problem in my personal work. What I hate is all the models who put down they are 99 or 116.  If they can't use their real age than I think they can't face up to getting older.

It makes me think they are shallow and wish they were 18 again...

Look I look at the work.... If they are great models and they have the look I am interested... Than age be damned... I'm contacting you.

Btw.  Even 50s can be a great age for an art model

Oct 05 12 07:06 am Link

Photographer

East West

Los Angeles, California, US

As long as the model is 18+, height is more important to me

Oct 05 12 07:18 am Link

Photographer

HalfMoonColorado

Murrells Inlet, South Carolina, US

I agree with the 18 thing. I simply do not shoot anyone under 18 so that part is pretty simple for me. When doing a search I only put the minimum age most of the time. It is a shame that models don't list their age because they miss out on shoots. Blank or 99 rules them out right away. I notice they never mess around with their height or weight. I doubt nobody lists their weight as 240 when they are 110.

Oct 05 12 08:50 am Link

Model

Alivia Autumn

Seattle, Washington, US

See I am concerned that my age would be a deterrence, but I also think putting a false age is ridiculous.

Hmm thanks for the input, seems most are leary of underage models rather than the other way around.

Oct 05 12 10:25 am Link

Photographer

Orca Bay Images

Arcata, California, US

Alivia Autumn wrote:
See I am concerned that my age would be a deterrence, but I also think putting a false age is ridiculous.

Hmm thanks for the input, seems most are leary of underage models rather than the other way around.

Falsifying any profile detail is, IMO, justification for aborting the shoot.

That said, age means little to me in qualifying a model for a shoot. If the model has the look, she's got the look. Only if it's a matter of shooting mature content do I care if the model is under 18.

However, I have found that generally the older a model, the better understanding she tends to have for the power of subtlety in an expression or gesture. In one glamour shoot, I gave preference to a hot 28yo over a hot 18yo.

Oct 05 12 10:39 am Link

Photographer

MesmerEyes Photography

Galveston, Texas, US

William Kious wrote:
Age is completely irrelevant. If the model is right for a look I'm trying to achieve, I don't care how many trips he/she has made around the sun.

Mostly This!

But if I am shooting something nude, or has sexual overtones I make sure they are of age before contacting them for that shoot.

Oct 05 12 10:55 am Link

Photographer

Red Sky Photography

Germantown, Maryland, US

In more than 5 years I doubt I've ever looked at or used age as a factor in choosing to work with a model. If she has the look I think will work, and the measurements to fit my wardrobe that's all I care about. Age is simply not important to me.

Oct 05 12 11:44 am Link

Model

Model Destiny Williams

Rehoboth Beach, Delaware, US

I am upfront about my age and my proportions. If someone will lie about basic information, what else will they lie about? If I lose a job because of my age, then so be it. I am also smart enough to know which type of shoots are and are not age appropriate for me, and which genres work best for me.

Oct 05 12 11:54 am Link

Photographer

T Brown

Traverse City, Michigan, US

Age is not the first variable that comes into play, nor even the second, perhaps third behind look and experience in the order.

Oct 05 12 12:12 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

I check out the model's look.  I have photographed 3 40+ models.

Oct 05 12 12:15 pm Link

Photographer

Wysiwyg Photography

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

Alivia Autumn wrote:

Age means diddly shit to me when hiring or looking to work with a model.

look is 100% of what I look at... age search might narrow down the field of what a client might be looking for.. but in the end, it doesn't matter if you are 18 or 50, if you have the look... you get the job.

That is why I don't even filter age.

Oct 06 12 01:36 pm Link

Photographer

Heels and Hemlines

Southern Pines, North Carolina, US

Alivia Autumn wrote:
See I am concerned that my age would be a deterrence

Not to me. I hire based on looks, not age. Some of the best models I've worked with were in their 30s. And you don't look 30 anyway; I would have guessed mid-20s at the most. I would hire you in a heartbeat if you were closer.

Oct 06 12 01:50 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Lewis

Farmington Hills, Michigan, US

Look, the ability to convincingly convey mood or atmosphere in a still image, and posing  are far more important to my projects than age.  I prefer mid-twenties or older.  For a while I had an avatar of a 52 year old and she looks terrific.  I have found that fit models in their thirties and forties can photograph beautifully, are mature , reliable, professional and near universally delightful to work with.

Oct 06 12 04:55 pm Link

Model

J Jessica

Coconut Creek, Florida, US

Alivia Autumn wrote:

Appearance is more important than age. For example: some 40-year-olds have youthful appearances while others of the same age have elder appearances.

On my profile, it says i'm over 18 but it doesn't matter because I always end up being carded by photographers who see me in-person, anyway. xDD

So, appearance is over age.

Oct 06 12 05:14 pm Link

Photographer

Digitoxin

Denver, Colorado, US

I am more concerned with a model's look than chronological age.  However, the older the chronological age, the more focused I am on things like skin tone, sun damage, etc.  I am more inclined to ask for polaroids from "older"  models.

Oct 06 12 05:19 pm Link

Photographer

Camerosity

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

I never use age in searches unless I'm looking for a model for a project for a client. And yes, when there are budget constraints, I have occasionally used MM models in work for clients.

For personal and portfolio work, I do look at age. Unless the model's look is outstanding, I mostly avoid models under age 18. The studio's insurance policy has conditions and exclusions for shoots involving models under 18, and there are many potential legal pitfalls. For the most part I avoid working with models under 18 for trade work, although I've made a couple of exceptions.

If a model appears to be under 18, I'll check and photograph her ID before shooting. For models under 18 I require that a parent be present during the shoot and get a release signed by the parent before shooting.

Otherwise, I do look at age for personal and portfolio work - but I'm much more concerned about the model's look, the genre, her portfolio and the attitude that her profile projects (and in some cases height and dress size) than her age.

Everything else being equal, I prefer working with models who are ar least 22 or 23. Less drama.

Oct 06 12 05:23 pm Link

Photographer

All Yours Photography

Lawton, Oklahoma, US

HalfMoonColorado wrote:
I notice they never mess around with their height or weight. I doubt nobody lists their weight as 240 when they are 110.

I have seen some 10 lb. models listed.

Oct 06 12 05:25 pm Link

Photographer

All Yours Photography

Lawton, Oklahoma, US

J Jessica  wrote:

Appearance is more important than age. For example: some 40-year-olds have youthful appearances while others of the same age have elder appearances.

On my profile, it says i'm over 18 but it doesn't matter because I always end up being carded by photographers who see me in-person, anyway. xDD

So, appearance is over age.

I "card" ALL models, regardless of age, including 2 that were 45 at the time of the shoot.  Not only to insure that they are of age, but also to comply with 2257 if it applies to the shoot and to insure that they are who they say they are.  If a model signs a release with a stage name, it's no good.

Oct 06 12 05:39 pm Link

Model

J Jessica

Coconut Creek, Florida, US

All Yours Photography wrote:
I "card" ALL llamas, regardless of age, including 2 that were 45 at the time of the shoot.  Not only to insure that they are of age, but also to comply with 2257 if it applies to the shoot and to insure that they are who they say they are.  If a llama signs a release with a stage name, it's no good.

I'm sure these photographers "card" me because of age appearance (but not name, because many past photographers photographers, like a few that i am imagining now, do not do release forms), which isn't bad.
It's understandable and encouraged. smile

Oct 06 12 05:49 pm Link

Photographer

DMesser Photography

Oceanside, California, US

I always look at the age, but only to see if they are 18 and able to model what I shoot.  I have shot underage models, but only age appropriate and a parent signing the model release and being at the shoot.  Outside of that, I look at the port and see what she looks like and if she wants glamour as in bikini, lingerie, implied and possible artistic nudes.  Upper age is no problem with me as long as she still looks good, and most of them look great.

Oct 07 12 10:50 am Link

Photographer

Abbitt Photography

Washington, Utah, US

I usually look outside my desired age range because few internet models are in their late 20s or older.

Oct 07 12 02:23 pm Link

Model

Misty R H

Anaheim, California, US

Sometimes when responding to a casting call I am reluctant to state my age. I wonder if the person who has the casting call will even look at my port to see what I have to offer.  I don't hide my age, but I want people to see my port first before deciding.

Plus, I am not going to respond to a casting call for which I am not suited.

Oct 07 12 04:58 pm Link

Photographer

Lee Nutter

Phnom Penh, Phnom Penh, Cambodia

I don't look at age. When browsing models, my only criteria is 18+

Oct 08 12 08:46 pm Link

Model

Figuremodel001

Chicago, Illinois, US

Alivia Autumn wrote:

No idea, if it hinders, I just don't hear from them. Not pretending to be 30, was fun once, got over it.

Oct 14 12 12:12 pm Link

Photographer

ADAK, Alaska, US

For what I shoot, age is irrelevant. The look, the portfolio, and the potential are what are important. I've shot with 16 and 17 year old new models that kick the snot out of "experienced" models. It's all about the desire to be good. Some models think being pretty is enough. Good models truly work hard at being a good model.

A perfect example...the girl below (go to the links) is 17 and has been modeling just a few months...I'd say she models well beyond her years (whether or not you like the shots)...

new model pic 1

new model pic 2

new model pic 3

new model pic 4

Oct 15 12 12:50 pm Link

Photographer

Rob Photosby

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Alivia Autumn wrote:

Not listing your age is a definite hindrance because it suggests that you do not care to provide what many consider to be essential information.

Beyond that, apart from establishing that you are old enough to contract in your own right and not so old that gravity and years are likely to have taken too big a toll on your figure, age is not all that important.

Oct 15 12 05:13 pm Link

Photographer

BYNW

Oak Harbor, Washington, US

.02$- I have always questioned why the 99+ age claims. I don't get it. If someone is searching, but uses a resonable age range as search criteria, the model will not be found or considered.

Oct 15 12 05:26 pm Link

Model

Miss Andria

Phoenix, Arizona, US

I feel totally comfortable listing my age. I am aware that I am no spring chicken, but I haven't had too much trouble finding work with great photographers. I think you just need to be aware and realistic of what genre you are best suited for. If your images aren't ridiculously photoshopped, a photographer can clearly see the age range you fall in. Just think to yourself that if someone doesn't want a certain (older) age, then it wasn't meant to be. You will always have the "right" look for someone. Good luck!

Oct 18 12 08:53 pm Link

Photographer

Don Garrett

Escondido, California, US

Being "somewhat advanced in age" myself, This is one of my favorite subjects. Also, one of my all time favorite models was 45, and had two children at the time I shot her. Yeah, I know, you all hear this from me every time the subject comes up, but here it is again.
  Jantana, the exceptionally beautiful Thai woman : https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/p … 54#1005854 Oh, by the way - 18+
-Don

Oct 18 12 09:06 pm Link

Photographer

Garry k

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

16 to 26

dont really pay attention to models outside that range

but some older models ( than 26 ) have surprised me

Oct 18 12 09:14 pm Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Salem, Oregon, US

i've had great shoots with models ranging from 10 to 50+ (and many of my boudoir clients have been in their 40s-60s) so i don't worry too much about age when choosing a model (except for making sure they are at least 18 and preferably older for racy shoots).

the sweet spot for me seems to be early to mid-twenties

as far as the OP goes i would shoot her at any age!

Oct 18 12 09:28 pm Link

Photographer

PR Zone

London, England, United Kingdom

18 for legality at the low end

High end?

U less a client has a specific brief, it comes down to how much time I'm prepared to spend re-touching

Fit young model, either gender, will mean much less time with Photoshop

Outside that, not so relevant

As a model, you've either got it or you haven't

Oct 20 12 03:15 am Link

Model

CPS

Winchester, Virginia, US

HalfMoonColorado wrote:
I agree with the 18 thing. I simply do not shoot anyone under 18 so that part is pretty simple for me. When doing a search I only put the minimum age most of the time. It is a shame that models don't list their age because they miss out on shoots. Blank or 99 rules them out right away. I notice they never mess around with their height or weight. I doubt nobody lists their weight as 240 when they are 110.

Lol that's so true!!!

Oct 20 12 03:19 am Link

Photographer

Paolo D Photography

San Francisco, California, US

Alivia Autumn wrote:

its one of the fields i use to search for talent.
so it helps!

Oct 20 12 03:23 am Link

Model

Charlottte

London, England, United Kingdom

I don't think age is important as such, unless you want to do adult/glamour then your photographer can get in a lot of trouble. And the lying thing is so true! Nearly every time I've been to a shoot a photographer tells me about someone's who's lied to them about their weight/height/age etc. it's ridiculous. If you're completely serious about what you do, you should be honest. What if a photographer needs someone with specific measurements and you lie and then you can't get in the clothes? It's a waste of everyone's time and money.

Rant over smile

Oct 20 12 03:33 am Link