Forums > Model Colloquy > How long do you wait for paid images?

Photographer

g2-new photographics

Boston, Massachusetts, US

If I'm paid (admittedly rare), images go out in a week or two - basically as soon as I can get to them.  If I'm paying, I usually send some images to the model, but don't feel an obligation.

Oct 06 12 10:38 am Link

Model

Bella la Bell

Kansas City, Missouri, US

Michael Pandolfo wrote:
Regardless of what each photographer uses as a reasonable delivery time - whether it's 5 days or 1 month - nobody will dispute that 6 months for receipt of images is a breach of the contract (even if there was no specific delivery date documented in the agreement). No court would consider 6 months a reasonable delivery time.

Small claims is your best bet as others have said. I believe in my area it costs $35 to file a claim. No attorneys are needed. If you have all your documentation - emails, agreement, etc - organized well it should be an easy settlement.

Maybe when the photographer sees you're not going to let it go and that he has to take time out of his day/income to address it you'll miraculously get your images.

Whatever you do, do not wash your hands of this. The furniture analogy was an excellent one. If you were promised delivery of furniture you wouldn't have waited this long to act and you certainly wouldn't let it slide.

Thank you. This sounds with in reason of something I can do. I think I will look into this.

Thank you guys for the helpful words. I honestly had no clue what to do about this.

Oct 06 12 10:46 am Link

Photographer

All Yours Photography

Toledo, Ohio, US

Bella la Bell wrote:
I have emails and the unedited images he gave me.
I really don't want to go to court over this. That might cost me just as much as it did to pay for the images.

I am lost to be honest on what to do.

Contact your local BBB.  They don't have enforcement powers, but most brick & mortar businesses don't want negative ratings from them and it costs you nothing.  You can likely handle it by phone and/or email.

Oct 06 12 10:50 am Link

Model

Amber Dawn - Colorado

Castle Rock, Colorado, US

Why not go to his place where he works? If he's a big shot he must of had his own studio or work he shot at? you have the unedited images I'm sure someone on here would be happy to edit them for you.

Oct 06 12 09:16 pm Link

Model

Alabaster Crowley

Tucson, Arizona, US

As long as the photographer says it will be?

By this I mean make sure to get a time frame from them. If it exceeds that, it's time to do something about it.

Oct 06 12 09:31 pm Link

Photographer

joeyk

Seminole, Florida, US

In this digital age? A few days...

On our large ( expensive ) portrait orders we make it seem like 4 weeks, to let them get through another payday or two, if needed.

Paid in advance? 1 week tops!

Oct 06 12 09:37 pm Link

Photographer

Paul Tirado Photography

New York, New York, US

Michael Pandolfo wrote:
Regardless of what each photographer uses as a reasonable delivery time - whether it's 5 days or 1 month - nobody will dispute that 6 months for receipt of images is a breach of the contract (even if there was no specific delivery date documented in the agreement). No court would consider 6 months a reasonable delivery time.

Small claims is your best bet as others have said. I believe in my area it costs $35 to file a claim. No attorneys are needed. If you have all your documentation - emails, agreement, etc - organized well it should be an easy settlement.

Maybe when the photographer sees you're not going to let it go and that he has to take time out of his day/income to address it you'll miraculously get your images.

Whatever you do, do not wash your hands of this. The furniture analogy was an excellent one. If you were promised delivery of furniture you wouldn't have waited this long to act and you certainly wouldn't let it slide.

Bella la Bell wrote:
Thank you. This sounds with in reason of something I can do. I think I will look into this.

Thank you guys for the helpful words. I honestly had no clue what to do about this.

For the record as you say you have a CD of unedited images. What do you have as proof - i.e. what does a contract (preferred) or email (ok) say as to what he was to deliver in terms of edited shots - that the CD of unedited images is not the end of this transaction?

Remember that in legal situations this is always an important statement: It is not so much what you know, it is what you can prove.

Oct 06 12 09:59 pm Link

Model

Eleanor Rose

Santa Rosa, California, US

I'm so sorry. Something similar happened to me on the one shoot I paid for when I was starting. I'd suspect it was the same photographer, except the gender is wrong. hmm

Oct 07 12 01:27 am Link

Photographer

Flex Photography

Sudbury, Ontario, Canada

Karl Baxter wrote:
Next time agree 50/50 shoot & delivery. Shit happens some times with tests I guess, but if there's cash changing hands, then protect your interests. Sorry you found a bad apple

For paid shoots that is my policy. There may be a small deposit beforehand, but then half the balance is due at shoot time, and the remainder on delivery. (when the job is done)

Paid or trade, I aim for 2 weeks completion, if possible.

Oct 07 12 03:02 pm Link

Photographer

KModel Photography

Lower Hutt, Wellington, New Zealand

For non-commercial paid images, I try and have keepers sorted within 3 days (so I know the yield and what I have to work with), leveled cropped candidate "contact prints" delivered within a week so the client can pick their favorites, and finished photos within 2-3 weeks, depending on how many and how complex.  I ask for deposit, and balance paid on delivery.  Any longer than this is a problem - bad business.

For commercial paid jobs, costs more, but results delivered much quicker.

Oct 07 12 08:37 pm Link

Photographer

none11

Armstrong, British Columbia, Canada

for the paid jobs the images are delivered within a week (if I have to send them by mail it might take couple extra days). For the unpaid photo shoots the images are delivered within 2 weeks.

6 months it is crazy, you have paid for the images and never got them, sounds like a scam.

Oct 08 12 08:42 am Link

Photographer

ThriftyPhoto

Kitchener, Ontario, Canada

I usually tell models a week whether it's TF or paid. My actual goal is 3 days though.  I treat paid and TF as the same, I feel it shows professionalism.

That being said, if I have taken a lot of jobs (such as 2 weeks ago I had a model shoot on Friday, Sporting Event on Saturday, shoot with 8 models on Sunday, and Sporting Event on Monday, followed by jewerelly line shoot on Tuesday), I did them in order of when they were taken - all took me

Oct 08 12 11:14 am Link

Photographer

denis071

Sarajevo, Federacija Bosna i Hercegovina, Bosnia and Herzegovina

I deliver my photos to client in 7 days latest. usually is 3-4 days.

Oct 09 12 05:32 am Link