Forums > Model Colloquy > Crazy Names?

Photographer

Bryan Burch Photography

Posts: 134

Umatilla, Florida, US

If you are going to use a "professional" name for modeling, why as a model would you pick something so crazy. I can just imagine you getting the call from Ford or Wilhelmina : "Hi, are you... Crazysexycitygirlontopofamountain22AcaciaAvenue?"

Oct 06 12 06:53 am Link

Model

P I X I E

Posts: 35435

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

We're not all going for agencies.

Oct 06 12 07:08 am Link

Model

Julia Francesca

Posts: 2393

Maumee, Ohio, US

they aren't looking for an agency, obs.

Oct 06 12 07:43 am Link

Model

Julia Francesca

Posts: 2393

Maumee, Ohio, US

and calling out Crazysexycitygirlontopofamountain22AcaciaAvenue is illegal on MM, you can get brigged for that! lol big_smile

Oct 06 12 07:44 am Link

Photographer

Kent Art Photography

Posts: 3097

Ashford, England, United Kingdom

Digital Design House wrote:
If you are going to use a "professional" name for llamaing, why as a llama would you pick something so crazy. I can just imagine you getting the call from Ford or Wilhelmina : "Hi, are you... Crazysexycitygirlontopofamountain22AcaciaAvenue?"

Well, that's sorted out all the stupid llamas who would never have thought of that.

What about the really really really really really stupid llamas who can't read, though?

Oct 06 12 08:36 am Link

Photographer

Bryan Burch Photography

Posts: 134

Umatilla, Florida, US

Caustic Disco wrote:
and calling out Crazysexycitygirlontopofamountain22AcaciaAvenue is illegal on MM, you can get brigged for that! lol big_smile

smile

Oct 06 12 11:50 am Link

Photographer

Bryan Burch Photography

Posts: 134

Umatilla, Florida, US

P I X I E wrote:
We're not all going for agencies.

I know PIXIE, I was just using them as the setup for the sarcasm. It just sounded better than: "insert client name here."

Oct 06 12 11:55 am Link

guide forum

Model

Anna Adrielle

Posts: 18763

Antwerp, Antwerp, Belgium

do you really think they're using that name to apply to agencies?

Oct 06 12 12:37 pm Link

Photographer

Vector One Photography

Posts: 2966

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

Anna Adrielle wrote:
do you really think they're using that name to apply to agencies?

G-d only knows.... I refer you to a line from a not-so-great American movie, "stupid is as stupid does".

Oct 06 12 12:45 pm Link

Model

Alivia Autumn

Posts: 610

Seattle, Washington, US

I'm using an alias, is my name crazy?  smile  This is mostly because this isn't a career for me and I don't want people googling me and finding implied nudes or risque photography.

Oct 06 12 01:04 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Posts: 8759

Olney, Maryland, US

Alivia Autumn wrote:
I'm using an alias, is my name crazy?  smile  This is mostly because this isn't a career for me and I don't want people googling me and finding implied nudes or risque photography.

I would have no problem calling you "Alivia."  Any name that is convenient to use is good.

I get really confused when models (or photographers) use different names on different sites.  I corresponded with one model who used three different names in one single email message.  Another model gave me a business card which did not list her current professional name.

Oct 06 12 01:16 pm Link

Model

Amelia Talon

Posts: 1471

Los Angeles, California, US

Digital Design House wrote:
If you are going to use a "professional" name for modeling, why as a model would you pick something so crazy. I can just imagine you getting the call from Ford or Wilhelmina : "Hi, are you... Crazysexycitygirlontopofamountain22AcaciaAvenue?"

There's a difference between an online username and a name you will be published under.
Just remember, online personas and real life are rarely the same(ex. Trolls in chatrooms who say "you're ugly, your momma should have had an abortion, go kill yourself" are more than probably chicken sh*ts who can't even gain enough courage to call you a doo-doo head to your face).

Oct 06 12 03:24 pm Link

Photographer

Bryan Burch Photography

Posts: 134

Umatilla, Florida, US

Amelia Talon wrote:

There's a difference between an online username and a name you will be published under.
Just remember, online personas and real life are rarely the same(ex. Trolls in chatrooms who say "you're ugly, your momma should have had an abortion, go kill yourself" are more than probably chicken sh*ts who can't even gain enough courage to call you a doo-doo head to your face).

I do know that online personas are different from real life but my point was the wacked out names ... I don't understand. I am so glad Marion Morrison decided that crazysexydukeofthewesttexasplains45 was a bad choice and went with John Wayne. And by the way for the record, you are not ugly by any stretch of the imagination and I am so glad that your mom did not have an abortion.

Oct 06 12 07:01 pm Link

Photographer

GER Photography

Posts: 8355

Imperial, California, US

That's a better name than skankyhobag!!:-)))

Oct 06 12 07:12 pm Link

Model

Alabaster Crowley

Posts: 8276

Tucson, Arizona, US

Is my name "crazy?" I don't know. No one has cared so far. I don't have any plans to go to an agency. Any clients are alternative, and use plenty if not most models with names like this.

Oct 06 12 07:20 pm Link

Photographer

Bryan Burch Photography

Posts: 134

Umatilla, Florida, US

Alabaster Crowley wrote:
Is my name "crazy?" I don't know. No one has cared so far. I don't have any plans to go to an agency. Any clients are alternative, and use plenty if not most models with names like this.

Alabaster Crowley is close enough to Aleister Crowley so by default its a cool name smile

Oct 06 12 07:38 pm Link

Model

Alabaster Crowley

Posts: 8276

Tucson, Arizona, US

Digital Design House wrote:

Alabaster Crowley is close enough to Aleister Crowley so by default its a cool name smile

That's what I was going for.

Oct 06 12 08:13 pm Link

Model

Miss AY

Posts: 8166

Boston, Massachusetts, US

because some girls either don't know any better, or they just don't care. I doubt any girl is going to walk into Ford and give them a screen name.

Oct 06 12 08:15 pm Link

Photographer

Apodyopsis

Posts: 6087

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Digital Design House wrote:
I know PIXIE, I was just using them as the setup for the sarcasm. It just sounded better than: "insert client name here."

The point is still the same. Youre assuming that these girls intend to make serious mainstream inquiries with clients/agents/etc. Theyre not. And if one of them DOES happen to be special enough to meet requirements to get booked a mainstream gig, I doubt she'll have any trouble giving her real name to THEM. Someone who shoots alt nudes, for example, will have a harder time covering her tracks and being seen as partaking in something socially acceptable to other people (friends, family, lovers, employers, etc) than a girl who shoots next falls GUESS ad.

Sure, you can just put together two real people names, but that makes your branding more difficult.

Theres a ton of Missy Jones in the world. Google image search or facebook search or google plus search or whatever social network you use search Missy Jones and its anyones guess which one is the one youre looking for. So having a unique name means youre findable.

ultimately, they probably really dont care if you think their name is stupid.

Would you walk into an agency and introduce yourself as Digital Design House?

Oct 07 12 12:55 am Link

Photographer

Apodyopsis

Posts: 6087

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Mark Salo wrote:

I would have no problem calling you "Alivia."  Any name that is convenient to use is good.

I get really confused when models (or photographers) use different names on different sites.  I corresponded with one model who used three different names in one single email message.  Another model gave me a business card which did not list her current professional name.

Are they using different names to separate genres of work? Because Id say that makes sense.

Oct 07 12 12:58 am Link

Model

Figuremodel001

Posts: 317

Chicago, Illinois, US

Alabaster Crowley wrote:
Is my name "crazy?" I don't know. No one has cared so far. I don't have any plans to go to an agency. Any clients are alternative, and use plenty if not most models with names like this.

In a word, no; but if your friends call you Ally, most people do probably thing your birth cert says Allison or some similar spelling. I can just go by Fig, which doesn't happen either.

Oct 07 12 07:34 am Link

Model

Alabaster Crowley

Posts: 8276

Tucson, Arizona, US

Figuremodel001 wrote:

In a word, no; but if your friends call you Ally, most people do probably thing your birth cert says Allison or some similar spelling. I can just go by Fig, which doesn't happen either.

No one calls me Ally.

Oct 07 12 10:40 am Link

Photographer

Lee Nutter

Posts: 160

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

My only problem with crazy names is that I'm never sure how to address people in messages.

Oct 08 12 08:49 pm Link

Model

IDiivil

Posts: 4259

Los Angeles, California, US

This is where I look at my own screenname and blush ;P

Oct 08 12 09:06 pm Link

Photographer

Bryan Burch Photography

Posts: 134

Umatilla, Florida, US

IDiivil wrote:
This is where I look at my own screenname and blush ;P

At least your name can fit on one card smile

Oct 10 12 02:10 am Link

Model

retired light reflector

Posts: 3244

Novolazarovskaya - permanent station of Russia, Sector claimed by Norway, Antarctica

I don't want to be easily found online except to find others to work with; I have my profile set to private so unless you're a member you can't see my work.

I give a "real name" people can call me in the first message along with email and phone number if discussing working together to resolve that problem.

For "real life" life modeling work for schools and for contracts/ model releases I put my legal name.

But honestly a few times in the past few years I've been friends with people on FB that were from MM so they knew my almost real name and referred to me as that name on here... Anyone that's important in my life knows that I model and it's probably in vain, but I'd rather not have a permanent traceable connection between my "real" self and this self.

I've had photographers request me to remove their names from credits online because I credited them incorrectly, now I check every time whether I should credit someone as "fashiontographereclectic09" or "Aaron Sorksie" as an example, no matter how ridiculous the former sounds.

Oct 10 12 07:51 am Link

Model

Libertad Green

Posts: 493

Los Angeles, California, US

I am, and always have used my real name, and people still think it's fake!

Oct 10 12 08:01 am Link

Photographer

MDWM

Posts: 706

Los Angeles, California, US

Lee Nutter wrote:
My only problem with crazy names is that I'm never sure how to address people in messages.

just say "Hey"

Oct 10 12 08:10 am Link

Photographer

Supermodel Photographer

Posts: 3309

Oyster Bay, New York, US

Digital Design House wrote:
If you are going to use a "professional" name for modeling, why as a model would you pick something so crazy. I can just imagine you getting the call from Ford or Wilhelmina : "Hi, are you... Crazysexycitygirlontopofamountain22AcaciaAvenue?"

An editor who used to work at Houghton Mifflin told me that when the author Ai phoned him she started by saying "It is Ai", which confused him because it sounded sounded like "It is I", and so he had to ask who she was.

Oct 10 12 08:21 am Link

Photographer

MDWM

Posts: 706

Los Angeles, California, US

Initially, I really don't care what the name is because I'm going for the look and there's no conversation, just keystrokes. I find that once contact is made, real names are revealed anyway.

Oct 10 12 08:21 am Link

Model

JessicaB - Model

Posts: 122

Jacksonville, Florida, US

Maybe they use a "model name generator."

Oct 10 12 08:48 am Link

Photographer

Bryan Burch Photography

Posts: 134

Umatilla, Florida, US

JessicaBaker wrote:
Maybe they use a "model name generator."

Thank you Jessica, I came up with a "model name generator" It works the same way as "what would your porn name be" but just a bit longer.
I used the example name of "Crazysexycitygirlontopofamountain22AcaciaAvenue" as the primer.

Answer these questions to determine your model name:

1. how your neighbor would describe you
2. how would you describe yourself
3. are you city or country
4. what is your gender
5. where would you like to be standing if the world ended
6. favorite song when you were 13

Oct 10 12 12:05 pm Link

Model

Alabaster Crowley

Posts: 8276

Tucson, Arizona, US

Digital Design House wrote:
1. how your neighbor would describe you

Oh, this could get fun.

Oct 10 12 01:28 pm Link

Model

Isis22

Posts: 2998

Muncie, Indiana, US

Alabaster Crowley wrote:

Oh, this could get fun.

or creepy

Oct 10 12 03:21 pm Link

Model

Yin Sanpaku

Posts: 1522

Tacoma, Washington, US

- im too small to be considered by agencies in the first place, a 'professional' name doesn't really matter to me.
- i dont get shoots based on my name.
- i dont want to use my real name.

Oct 10 12 04:35 pm Link

Model

Isabella55

Posts: 152

West Hollywood, California, US

Why would you use a professional name when you could use MelanieAss2tight4u

Oct 10 12 05:56 pm Link

Clothing Designer

Kalico Clothing

Posts: 218

Sacramento, California, US

Digital Design House wrote:

Thank you Jessica, I came up with a "model name generator" It works the same way as "what would your porn name be" but just a bit longer.
I used the example name of "Crazysexycitygirlontopofamountain22AcaciaAvenue" as the primer.

Answer these questions to determine your model name:

1. how your neighbor would describe you
2. how would you describe yourself
3. are you city or country
4. what is your gender
5. where would you like to be standing if the world ended
6. favorite song when you were 13

ThatonegirlwiththepigtailsquirkyfemaleImnotgoingtolivelongenoughtoseetheworldend47cantremember

Did I do it right?
Also, there wasn't a step between 5 and 6 to add a random number, but I took the liberty and added one.
tongue

Oct 10 12 05:58 pm Link

Model

Cole Morrison

Posts: 3958

Portland, Oregon, US

P I X I E wrote:
We're not all going for agencies.

+1

Oct 10 12 06:03 pm Link

Model

Kitty LaRose

Posts: 12717

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

You never know. CrazySexy... might be someone's nickname. My stage name's mine.

Oct 10 12 06:05 pm Link

Photographer

Bryan Burch Photography

Posts: 134

Umatilla, Florida, US

Alabaster Crowley wrote:

Oh, this could get fun.

I think so. Its funny how a thread morphs.

Oct 10 12 06:34 pm Link