Forums > General Industry > ShootingNudesOnly

Photographer

Image K

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Images by MR wrote:

I'm going to assume the photographers who only shoot nudes don't care what you think hmm

Just my thoughts ~ MR

+1

Oct 14 12 12:01 am Link

Model

samlouise

Newport, Wales, United Kingdom

Id much rather just work nude,
I cant get along with the fashion side of it and plus nudes is cheeper as you dont have to keep buying clothes or acsessories, and I find nude very relaxing as especially art nude thers a sence of calmness in the shoot

http://www.purestorm.com/profile.aspx?id=missblond
http://purpleport.com/portfolio/samjess … r=samjessi

Oct 14 12 07:19 am Link

Photographer

Richard Tallent

Beaumont, Texas, US

I used to shoot fashion. Got tired of dealing with wardrobe, MUAs, hair stylists, and flaky, uncommitted Tyra-Banks-wannabe models.

And as I developed my work, I found out my passion is for art, not commercial or glamour photography.

I stopped looking to the Internet modeling world for my inspiration and recognition, started studying the history of art photography and getting involved in the local arts community.

Fast forward a few years, and now I specialize in fine art nudes. I couldn't be happier:
-- I'm doing work that is important to me and that I feel I'm good at.
-- I work with a wider variety of model body types and ages than I could in faux fashion.
-- The models are, on the whole, much less flaky and more mature.
-- My audience is real people looking at prints in art galleries, not the echo chamber of Internet modeling web sites.
-- I've moved into a leadership role in the local arts community, including chairing local art shows and chairing the board of a local non-profit art gallery.

In the real art world, i.e. outside the weird little world of sites like MM, nudity raises no eyebrows and is simply a subject of art and a specialization for some artists.

If you can't look at a portfolio of work without obsessing about the model being nekkid in all of them, that just shows your own immaturity, it says nothing about the photographer or model.

Oct 14 12 08:07 am Link

Photographer

Art of the nude

Olivet, Michigan, US

Richard Tallent wrote:
I used to shoot fashion. Got tired of dealing with wardrobe, MUAs, hair stylists, and flaky, uncommitted Tyra-Banks-wannabe models.

And as I developed my work, I found out my passion is for art, not commercial or glamour photography.

I stopped looking to the Internet modeling world for my inspiration and recognition, started studying the history of art photography and getting involved in the local arts community.

Fast forward a few years, and now I specialize in fine art nudes. I couldn't be happier:
-- I'm doing work that is important to me and that I feel I'm good at.
-- I work with a wider variety of model body types and ages than I could in faux fashion.
-- The models are, on the whole, much less flaky and more mature.
-- My audience is real people looking at prints in art galleries, not the echo chamber of Internet modeling web sites.
-- I've moved into a leadership role in the local arts community, including chairing local art shows and chairing the board of a local non-profit art gallery.

In the real art world, i.e. outside the weird little world of sites like MM, nudity raises no eyebrows and is simply a subject of art and a specialization for some artists.

If you can't look at a portfolio of work without obsessing about the model being nekkid in all of them, that just shows your own immaturity, it says nothing about the photographer or model.

Quoted for posterity.

Oct 14 12 10:05 am Link

Photographer

Samography

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Erika Muse wrote:

You are right. I apologize for not stating all of that at once. I didn't think i would have struck a nerve in anyone. Just woul have gotten some insteresting opinions.
In response to your other paragraph about the rascist statement, i believe that any photographer that says he or she wouldnt shoot someone of "color" is rascist.  But i wouldnt respond because im sure there are some that dont.  Trust me, i did not mean to upset anyone.

whats a rascist?

lol I love this girl and her a.t.t.i.t.u.d.e.

Oct 14 12 12:03 pm Link

Photographer

Craig Talbot

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

You seem to have 2 distinct complaints here:

1. Photographers who indicate in their portfolios that they do various types of photography but choose to display only nudes in their portfolios.
2.  Photographers who ask you to shoot nude despite you having expressly stated that you do not do them in your portfolio.

In regard to the first, what is your position on the many models who indicate they do shoot nudes  but don't post any in their portfolios?  This seems to be a pointless argument to me.  Many of us, photographers and models, may be open to doing various types of shoots at times of our choosing, but will often have a preference, which will be evident in our portfolios.  In some situations we may choose to shoot fashion, but if our preference is nudes that is what you will see, especially if we want to attract models who shoot nudes.  Also, many of us may feel that our nudes represent our best work and that is what we want to shoot.

In respect to the second complaint, you have a fair point, but given how many models do shoot nudes but don't want to publicise that on their portfolios, it is not surprising that many photographers who really like your look ask anyway.  In this case, the problem is that ModelMayhem does not provide models with a 3rd option when answering the question as to whether or not you shoot nudes ( i.e., rather not say or maybe in addition to yes and no.

Oct 14 12 12:55 pm Link