Model

cloclo

Lancaster, England, United Kingdom

I'm 16 and 5ft 4 is there a chance I could get signed? I live in the uk and haven't had much luck with agencies am I too short?

Oct 07 12 05:00 am Link

Photographer

Kent Art Photography

Ashford, England, United Kingdom

You are young enough, and pretty enough, but your height will go against you.  Your location will, too.

But most girls who are the standard height, who can get to castings, etc., don't make it, either.

Oct 07 12 05:08 am Link

Photographer

ADAK, Alaska, US

Generally speaking, yes you are too short. Runway and fashion are out of the question. For those, 5'9"+ is the standard.

The best thing you can do is look around at the agencies in your area and find out their requirements.

Oct 15 12 01:20 pm Link

Photographer

Mark

New York, New York, US

just pursue as a hobby or perhaps commercial print agency- not fashion. Way too small and not the right look.

Oct 15 12 10:26 pm Link

Photographer

Rob Photosby

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

You are very pretty and you look like you are perfectly proportioned. 

You may never make a lot of money at it, but there are plenty of hobby photographers who love to work with women like yourself.  Also, there are plenty of successful photographic models who are noticeably shorter than you are.

Oct 16 12 05:31 am Link

Photographer

B R U N E S C I

Bath, England, United Kingdom

Your only realistic chance of getting signed to a reputable agency would be to wait until you're 18 and then apply to one of the handful of glamour agencies who will take on very pretty girls for glamour work.

The ones to contact when you're old enough would be Girl Management, Samantha Bond and maybe also IMM, all in London.

Other than that, model for fun or as an independent model. Once again, when you're 18 you will be able to offer artistic nudes if you wish and could possibly make a career outside of agencies in the same way that models like Ivory Flame (5'3") have done.

Good luck!

Just my $0.02

Ciao
Stefano
www.stefanobrunesci.com

Oct 16 12 05:46 am Link

Photographer

GM Photography

Olympia, Washington, US

You might find this site helpful:  http://newmodels.com/

And this:  http://www.newmodels.com/height.html

Oct 16 12 06:40 am Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

cloclo wrote:
am I too short?

yes ma'am...

that  doesnt mean the door is completely closed, there are plenty of unsigned models doing quite well for themselves...

http://i.imgur.com/m8TQi.png

Oct 16 12 07:19 am Link

Photographer

Rhine Gold Studios

Dublin, California, US

Eat lots of vegetables and keep growing!

Oct 16 12 07:30 am Link

Model

P I X I E

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

S W I N S K E Y wrote:

yes ma'am...

that  doesnt mean the door is completely closed, there are plenty of unsigned models doing quite well for themselves...

+1

Oct 16 12 11:18 am Link

Photographer

Optix

Boston, Massachusetts, US

cloclo wrote:
I'm 16 and 5ft 4 is there a chance I could get signed? I live in the uk and haven't had much luck with agencies am I too short?

Unless you're Asian, very little chance.
Look at it this way:

Most women are around 5'6", therefore most of the market is already taller than you.

Why would the apparel industry want to market their garments to people that are shorter than their taller demographic? Besides, agencies have standard measurements for their models, and even commercial models are taller than the average person.

If they want to market clothing for short people, they'll hire children.

Edit: By 14-16, you should have approached your maximum height. Take acting classes and make use of your good looks. TV and film is still an industry for short people. You don't have to go the "nudes" route, because of your height limitations.

Oct 16 12 11:36 am Link

Model

hygvhgvkhy

Chicago, Illinois, US

-B-R-U-N-E-S-C-I- wrote:
Your only realistic chance of getting signed to a reputable agency would be to wait until you're 18 and then apply to one of the handful of glamour agencies who will take on very pretty girls for glamour work.

The ones to contact when you're old enough would be Girl Management, Samantha Bond and maybe also IMM, all in London.

Other than that, model for fun or as an independent model. Once again, when you're 18 you will be able to offer artistic nudes if you wish and could possibly make a career outside of agencies in the same way that models like Ivory Flame (5'3") have done.

Good luck!

Just my $0.02

Ciao
Stefano
www.stefanobrunesci.com

Listen to this.

And remember, you dont need to be signed to make money. You have plenty of time to learn how to do it on your own(-:

Oct 16 12 08:10 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

cloclo wrote:

Your doctor can tell you, based on an x-ray of your joints how much more you are going to grow.

Maybe you'll grow more!

Oct 16 12 09:06 pm Link

Photographer

The Face Photography

Madrid, Madrid, Spain

Fashion is a closed market, but not only for models, also for photographers, makeup artists.....everybody, unless you can offer something than nobody else can.

Oct 17 12 06:27 am Link

Model

hygvhgvkhy

Chicago, Illinois, US

udor wrote:

Your doctor can tell you, based on an x-ray of your joints how much more you are going to grow.

Maybe you'll grow more!

Really???

Oct 17 12 10:49 pm Link

guide forum

Model

Anna Adrielle

Antwerp, Antwerp, Belgium

Presley ONeil wrote:
Really???

jup smile

a lot of people in my family had it done for the opposite reasons: we're giants, and if they had told me (for instance) that I would have been 6'3, I would have started hormone therapy to stop my growth. a couple of my cousins did that, because the doctor predicted them to be 6'5... and most of them stopped around 6'2 instead.
it's still tricky though, cause it's just an estimate... and one of my cousins also did the therapy but he stopped at 5'9.

I was estimated at 6'1, and tadaa smile. (my limit was 6'1 though... if he had predicted I would be taller, I would have started therapy)

it's with an Xray of your wrist and hand, but I don't know the exact science behind it.

Oct 18 12 12:22 am Link

Photographer

Matthew Grogan

Easton, Pennsylvania, US

Anna Adrielle wrote:

jup smile

it's with an Xray of your wrist and hand, but I don't know the exact science behind it.

It's called a "Bone Age" scan. Doctor will take an x-ray of your wrist, hand and fingers (typically left) to see how quickly your skeleton is maturing. They will compare your x-ray with an atlas of similar scans taken at various ages and growth cycles of other people, checking the growth plates, and give you a pretty accurate estimate of how much more you are likely to grow.

As Anna pointed out, it's used to determine if someone is going to grow to a height they may not want, but also for people of shorter stature who may come from shorter parents, this test is used as a precursor to the prescription of human growth hormone to increase their height.

Human growth hormone will not work to increase height once the growth plates are fully closed.

Oct 19 12 05:24 am Link

Photographer

Igmar Photography

New York, New York, US

Too short and too old. But not necessarily in that order.

Agencies like to sign new models at age 12 or so who have a good chance of growing taller than 5 foot 9.

At 16 and 5'4", I doubt a modeling career is in your future.

I've worked with agencies here in L.A. for over 25 years and they turn away models older than 14 who are new.

Oct 21 12 08:15 pm Link

Photographer

DMesser Photography

Oceanside, California, US

Yes, you are too short for a lot of work.  There are a few agencies that specialize in short girls, but they are glamour agencies.  You can shoot up to bikini for now, and possible lingerie (sears style) w/parental permission.  Your height will stop a lot, but your age will stop a lot even though you have a great figure.  Just keep working at it, and if you can, get paid to do freelance work until you find an agency if you really need one.

Oct 22 12 09:18 am Link

Model

Laura UnBound

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Can you act?

Oct 22 12 01:17 pm Link

Photographer

picayou

Murfreesboro, Tennessee, US

-B-R-U-N-E-S-C-I- wrote:

Good luck!

Just my $0.02

Ciao
Stefano
www.stefanobrunesci.com

Like Button needed..

Oct 22 12 01:34 pm Link

Photographer

picayou

udor wrote:

Maybe you'll grow more!

Bwahahahaha..Sorry but I have coffee streaming out my nose..

Oct 22 12 01:37 pm Link

Photographer

picayou

Op you just let nature take its course and you will be fine=) You are a beautiful young lady and me thinks you don't really need anyone else to define you. ;-)
Do any gigs producing images that make you smile for the next two years whilst being the best student you can be. In two years you will be prepared to take on the world.

Oct 22 12 01:52 pm Link