Forums > Critique > New Set Review!

Model

Victoria Gevorkov

Posts: 94

Kansas City, Missouri, US

Haii !

I have a few photos from the same set that make up the first two rows of my port and I need your help deciding which two from the set to keep. Thanks!

-Victoria Gevorkov

Oct 08 12 01:21 am Link

Photographer

dave phoenix

Posts: 1300

Phoenix, Arizona, US

do you think you're likely to find paying work in that genre?

Oct 08 12 01:38 am Link

Model

Victoria Gevorkov

Posts: 94

Kansas City, Missouri, US

This set was paid work for a salon. So, we'll see.. If anything its diverse.

Oct 08 12 01:54 am Link

Photographer

dave phoenix

Posts: 1300

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Victoria Gevorkov wrote:
This set was paid work for a salon. So, we'll see.. If anything its diverse.

well, congrats on the job!

i find that models seem to think diversity or variety is really important in a portfolio, when i think the opposite is true. for example, a fashion model's portfolio on the agency's website will have 10 or 15 strong fashion images... not a few fashion shots, some glamour stuff, a couple cellphone self-shots, and a few random shots that don't make much sense at all.

Oct 08 12 02:27 am Link

Model

Victoria Gevorkov

Posts: 94

Kansas City, Missouri, US

problem is I am not exactly sure which category I fall under....

considering I am not industry height and all especially. hmm So I just take work as it comes.

Oct 08 12 04:24 am Link

Photographer

Drew Smith Photography

Posts: 5210

Nottingham, England, United Kingdom

Phew - I'd keep number 8 only.

If I may say, there seems like a lot of effort gone in to the wardrobe and hair in some of those shots for pretty awful photos. That's not your fault, but it's a shame though.

Oct 08 12 04:29 am Link

Photographer

KModel Photography

Posts: 218

Lower Hutt, Wellington, New Zealand

Victoria Gevorkov wrote:
.. I need your help deciding which two from the set to keep. Thanks!
-Victoria Gevorkov

There's a huge number of photos there, many of which are just not professional or helpful at all.  You could keep about 6 which show you are a professional model and are worth paying for a job.  Your portfolio is your ticket to paying jobs, its not a random photo bucket.  You want at least a good clear headshot which shows your eyes and other facial features. You want a good upper body shot which shows your shoulders and all. Some full length shots front, side and back which show off your shape and proportions, and a few shots which show you can pose and sell product.  You do have a few good pics in there, but they are getting lost with the crap smile All the best.

Oct 08 12 04:40 am Link

Photographer

Lee_Photography

Posts: 8850

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

As a llama you have a great look, just most of the photos are letting you down

http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120624/22/4fe7f147460fd_m.jpg
For me this is your strongest image


You need photos that are of higher quality

Wish you well!

Oct 08 12 05:31 am Link

Model

Victoria Gevorkov

Posts: 94

Kansas City, Missouri, US

Thank you for your help guys. Im willing to delete anything I need so if you could give me any advice which is crap and which is not thatd be perfect.

Oct 14 12 12:53 am Link

Photographer

Orca Bay Images

Posts: 32234

Woodinville, Washington, US

Lee_Photography wrote:
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120624/22/4fe7f147460fd_m.jpg
For me this is your strongest image

Are you kidding, Lee?!? That's her worst image. Looks like the result of a tragic kitchen accident.

Oct 14 12 02:00 am Link

Photographer

Orca Bay Images

Posts: 32234

Woodinville, Washington, US

Victoria,

Unfortunately, that new set is really weak. Washed-out. But if you feel you must keep one, I'd suggest:
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/121007/23/5072716e0051f_m.jpg
or
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120828/04/503cb1fd851c2_m.jpg

By far, your strongest image (IMO) is:
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120619/06/4fe07b65ccaf7_m.jpg
although the skin is overprocessed, the image is simply beautiful. Your expression and eye-contact are engaging to the point of knockout.

Another strong one is:
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120520/20/4fb9b8b4e1ec7_m.jpg
but I've got mixed feelings about the faux print damage (aging & scratches).I don't buy that the image is all scratched up except for the face. I'd probably prefer the simplicity of the original image without the fake marks, stains and scratches.

And I'm even taken with:
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120425/05/4f97e981d3f8f_m.jpg
The sharpness of the hair, the intensity of the eyes, and the overall dynamic, all grab me.

Please, please, PLEASE, get rid of:
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120624/22/4fe7f147460fd_m.jpg
It's an unflattering mess.

Oct 14 12 02:11 am Link

Photographer

Lee_Photography

Posts: 8850

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

Orca Bay Images wrote:
Victoria,

Unfortunately, that new set is really weak. Washed-out. But if you feel you must keep one, I'd suggest:
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/121007/23/5072716e0051f_m.jpg
or
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120828/04/503cb1fd851c2_m.jpg

By far, your strongest image (IMO) is:
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120619/06/4fe07b65ccaf7_m.jpg
although the skin is overprocessed, the image is simply beautiful. Your expression and eye-contact are engaging to the point of knockout.

Another strong one is:
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120520/20/4fb9b8b4e1ec7_m.jpg
but I've got mixed feelings about the faux print damage (aging & scratches).I don't buy that the image is all scratched up except for the face. I'd probably prefer the simplicity of the original image without the fake marks, stains and scratches.

And I'm even taken with:
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120425/05/4f97e981d3f8f_m.jpg
The sharpness of the hair, the intensity of the eyes, and the overall dynamic, all grab me.

Please, please, PLEASE, get rid of:
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120624/22/4fe7f147460fd_m.jpg
It's an unflattering mess.

http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120425/05/4f97e981d3f8f_m.jpg
Weaker of the two
Messy hair
Unusual background processing
The blue whites of the eyes




http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120624/22/4fe7f147460fd_m.jpg
Stronger of the two

I have to totally disagree with you on this

Oct 14 12 05:33 am Link

Photographer

Cherrystone

Posts: 36722

Columbus, Ohio, US

Of the new stuff......'eh, has a few problems. This could be the strongest one...key word, could. Needs some tweaking IMHO.
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/121007/23/5072722012204_m.jpg

This is a disaster....does you no favors at all.
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120624/22/4fe7f147460fd_m.jpg

Oct 14 12 07:43 am Link

Photographer

SKITA Studios

Posts: 1566

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Like this but wish it weren't slightly out of focus/soft:
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/121007/23/5072716e0051f_m.jpg

And ditto this could have been really strong if the lighting weren't terrible:
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/121007/23/5072722012204_m.jpg

This looks like a snapshot:
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120315/08/4f620fae3828a_m.jpg

And ditto lose this (makes you look fat):
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120624/22/4fe7f147460fd_m.jpg

Oct 14 12 08:36 am Link

Photographer

picturephotos

Posts: 521

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Lee_Photography wrote:
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120624/22/4fe7f147460fd_m.jpg
For me this is your strongest image

No.

Lee_Photography wrote:
Stronger of the two

Still no.

Victoria Gevorkov wrote:
Thank you for your help guys. Im willing to delete anything I need so if you could give me any advice which is crap and which is not thatd be perfect.

Delete the above image.  Quickly.

Oct 14 12 09:16 am Link

Photographer

Christopher Carter

Posts: 7693

Indianapolis, Indiana, US

Lee_Photography wrote:

http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120425/05/4f97e981d3f8f_m.jpg
Weaker of the two
Messy hair
Unusual background processing
The blue whites of the eyes




http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120624/22/4fe7f147460fd_m.jpg
Stronger of the two

I have to totally disagree with you on this

Critique the OP. Not the responders choice of photos. Arguing with people in a critique thread because they disagree with you serves no real function.

Oct 14 12 10:24 am Link

Model

IDiivil

Posts: 4128

Los Angeles, California, US

http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120624/22/4fe7f147460fd_m.jpg

This has got to go sad

IMO, these should be removed also:
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120625/18/4fe910edbd7ef_m.jpg
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/121007/23/507272d8807a3_m.jpg

... the last one I get is a "real life" picture, but the seatbelt and car thing is not doing anything for you. Taking a clean shot in front of a white wall would do better.

Oct 14 12 03:14 pm Link

Photographer

Adrienne Andersen

Posts: 69

Tampa, Florida, US

The new set's not that great. If you had to keep one, then the last one on the first row. I would actually consider of shooting you based on that pic. It's the only pic in your port , in my opinion, that actually gives a potential client or photog a good and flattering look at your face without the over-processing in the others. Good luck to you.

Oct 14 12 06:59 pm Link

Photographer

Lee_Photography

Posts: 8850

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

Mnemosyne Photography wrote:

Critique the OP. Not the responders choice of photos. Arguing with people in a critique thread because they disagree with you serves no real function.

Orca Bay Images wrote:
Are you kidding, Lee?!? That's her worst image. Looks like the result of a tragic kitchen accident.

Just responding to provide information to hopefully enlighten the critique of my response in the errors of their thinking

If I can show them a new way of thinking about an image that is extreme and over the top, because some one was thinking out side the box its great. Or if they can convince me, then everyone is learning to think, or see in a different way from the view of some one else’s eyes.

For me I probably agree with Orca Bay Images 90% of the time or more, so when there is a difference in viewing an image it is informative to try and figure out why the differing viewpoint.

Is not that the purpose of a critique thread

Oct 14 12 07:34 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Carter

Posts: 7693

Indianapolis, Indiana, US

Lee_Photography wrote:

Mnemosyne Photography wrote:
Critique the OP. Not the responders choice of photos. Arguing with people in a critique thread because they disagree with you serves no real function.

Just responding to provide information to hopefully enlighten the critique of my response in the errors of their thinking

If I can show them a new way of thinking about an image that is extreme and over the top, because some one was thinking out side the box its great. Or if they can convince me, then everyone is learning to think, or see in a different way from the view of some one else’s eyes.

For me I probably agree with Orca Bay Images 90% of the time or more, so when there is a difference in viewing an image it is informative to try and figure out why the differing viewpoint.

Is not that the purpose of a critique thread

No. The OP asked for opinions, not lessons on how to broaden their mind.

Also, it's not out of the box thinking if you're the only one who thinks it.

/hijack

Oct 14 12 09:01 pm Link

Model

Victoria Gevorkov

Posts: 94

Kansas City, Missouri, US

Thank you ALL so much for taking the time out to respond with critiques ^_^

--Victoria Gevorkov

Oct 25 12 06:09 pm Link

Photographer

Mark

Posts: 2893

New York, New York, US

can't help as they are all really bad

Oct 25 12 06:31 pm Link