Forums > Photography Talk > SP Studio Systems 147VP

Photographer

Phantasmal Images

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Anyone have any experience with those little slave strobes that screw into a standard light socket? Are they worth the money?

In particular I was looking at the SP Studio Systems 147VP.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/5 … Slave.html

Oct 08 12 11:39 am Link

Photographer

Richard Karlsen

Gloversville, New York, US

I havent used them in years but they worked well for a home studio.  Set them up with umbrellas and was happy with them for a long while til i could afford a more powerful power pack setups

LOL  prices seem to have gone way up!   bought mine they were something like $40 at the old Spireratone store

Edit;  that was pre digital,  i would check the trigger voltage to be sure they are OK with electronics

I use safe sync's no matter what for anything connected byt a cord, if you do also, no matter what you plug into

Oct 08 12 04:38 pm Link

Photographer

Leo Howard

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Richard Karlsen wrote:
I havent used them in years but they worked well for a home studio.  Set them up with umbrellas and was happy with them for a long while til i could afford a more powerful power pack setups

LOL  prices seem to have gone way up!   bought mine they were something like $40 at the old Spireratone store

Edit;  that was pre digital,  i would check the trigger voltage to be sure they are OK with electronics

I use safe sync's no matter what for anything connected byt a cord, if you do also, no matter what you plug into

They are "slave" units, there is no trigger voltage, at least not on that particular unit

Maximum Watt/Seconds     100 Watt/Seconds
Guide Number                     140 (Iso 100 at 10 feet)
Recycle Time                     4 - 6 Seconds
Flash Duration                     N/A
Flash Variability                 3 F/stops
User Replaceable Flashtube     No
Changeable Reflector             Yes, (not included)
Modeling Light Wattage     No llamaing Lamp
Voltage Stabilization             No
Flash Ready Indicator             No
Operating Voltage             100 - 120 Volts, 60 Hertz
Sync Voltage                  N/A
Built-in Slave Cell             Yes
Circuit Protection              2 Amp Fuse
Fan Cooled                            No
Auto Dump                            No
Dimensions                      4.25 x 5" (10.7 x 12.7cm)
Weight                             1 lb. (.45Kg)

Oct 08 12 04:46 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

I still have one lying around here somewhere.  I never use the much.  What I used them for was to put into lamps.  Practical lights tended to get overpowered so you wouldn't see them if you wanted a lamp that appeared to be on.  I would screw one of these in, (with a different kind of diffuser).  That will give the lamps the appearance of being "On."  They actually make a diffuser with a blanked out top just for that purpose.  I love them for that.

They are a good inexpensive light, but rather than using them, I would go to ePhoto or Cowboy Studios and just buy a low cost kit.  The problem with these is that they are not adjustable for power.  At least with the cheap kits, you do get adjustability.

Since these now sell for $100, there are actually cheap kits that sell for less.

Oct 08 12 04:48 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

Leo Howard wrote:
They are "slave" units, there is no trigger voltage, at least not on that particular unit

The ones he showed are slaves, they are actually available as either a slave only or as a master/slave.

Oct 08 12 04:49 pm Link

Photographer

Phantasmal Images

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Thanks for the info guys. I actually just stumbled upon a couple of Neewer 180 w/s strobes for $35 each on craigslist. I'm waiting on a response from the seller to check if they're new or used.

Oct 09 12 03:30 pm Link

Photographer

Richard Karlsen

Gloversville, New York, US

ei Total Productions wrote:
The ones he showed are slaves, they are actually available as either a slave only or as a master/slave.

Not an expert on all models BUT  read the "what's in the box" from the description,  Includes "sync cord".

I have never seen a "VP"  (variable power) version without the sync plug, or the fixed power models either.  That was one cool feature, it didn't matter which unit you wanted to use as a trigger they all had a slave and a sync port.

I would just want to check voltage because they were first offered when cameras still were able to use 450v triggers!!  Likely they have been redesigned BUT it could get expensive to find out!!!

EDit:  BTW  the sync cords were very different thab normal ones you run into a tiny plug , possibly propriatary???

Oct 09 12 05:02 pm Link