Forums > Photography Talk > Yongnuo, Alternative to the Nikon flashes???

Photographer

Rupert Yen

Memphis, Tennessee, US

i would like like to add a couple of TTL flashes to my nikons.  I have a SB 800 right now and would like a back up, but don't want to spend  a bundle of money.   I saw on Amazon, Yongnuo flashes, are they any good and which model works best.

Oct 08 12 12:37 pm Link

Photographer

rmcapturing

San Francisco, California, US

I have the 565ex for Canon. It's as good as the 580ex minus master IR wireless trigger and HSS. I don't care for IR but I do use HSS often. If you don't need HSS, then you may not notice a difference for on-camera flash.

Oct 08 12 12:42 pm Link

Photographer

You Can Call Me Pierre

Loma Linda, California, US

YN-565 has TTL but I haven't compared it yet to SB-900.  It is closer in specs to an SB-800 since its zoom is limited to 105mm.  I use the YN-560 frequently since I usually shoot manual and burnt one out yesterday since my Honl grid attachment trapped the heat.

I can't recall if YN-565 has TTL-BL.

I prefer Yongnuo since they are disposable / consumable equipment due to the lifecycle of the flash bulb in a speedlight.

Oct 08 12 12:42 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Leavitt

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I primarily use the dumb ones, the 460IIs - but I do have 2 YongNuo 565ex

For everything I use it for (I don't do HSS) it's exactly the same as the 580exII I used to have. For $150 they're great. If you need less power, the 468 is great too.

Oct 08 12 12:43 pm Link

Photographer

Kaouthia

Wishaw, Scotland, United Kingdom

Yongnuo don't make an AWL compatible flash.

The only TTL capabilities you'll get with a YN TTL-capable flash, is when it's on the hotshoe, on its own.

Oct 08 12 12:47 pm Link

Photographer

Rupert Yen

Memphis, Tennessee, US

I will be putting them on ttl triggers

Oct 08 12 12:48 pm Link

Photographer

Kaouthia

Which "ttl triggers"?

Oct 08 12 12:52 pm Link

Photographer

Erick Prince

Austin, Texas, US

Kaouthia wrote:
Yongnuo don't make an AWL compatible flash.

The only TTL capabilities you'll get with a YN TTL-capable flash, is when it's on the hotshoe, on its own.

Are you sure about that? YN568EX I believe.

Oct 08 12 12:53 pm Link

Photographer

Dark Shadows

Miami, Florida, US

They are excellent if used off camera with radio triggers and extremely affordable.

The only way I wouldn't recommend them is if for some reason you want to mount them on top of your camera. For that kind of thing, first party speedlights are better.

Oct 08 12 12:58 pm Link

Photographer

Kaouthia

Erick Prince wrote:
Are you sure about that? YN568EX I believe.

Not any more, lol.  That looks interesting, when did they release those?

Edit: 2 weeks ago.  Ahh well, I don't sit googling Yongnuo every day just to see what new stuff came out. wink

Edit 2: That said, while the press release says there's Canon and Nikon versions for sale, the only ones on eBay or anywhere else are for Canon.

Edit 3 : Further digging.  It's a Canon foot, so if you want to use it on the hotshoe, it's Canon only.  But, it'll work as a CLS/AWL slave if you have an actual Nikon flash acting as a commander (or the SU-800) on the hotshoe, or using the popup as a commander.

Oct 08 12 01:03 pm Link

Photographer

Rupert Yen

Memphis, Tennessee, US

Kaouthia wrote:
Which "ttl triggers"?

Pixel King

Oct 08 12 01:34 pm Link

Photographer

Kaouthia

Well, given that the 568 still has a Canon foot, I don't think those'll be an option for you, even if they will work optically with your SB-800 in commander mode.

Maybe YN467 or 565 flashes'll do it then with those, but then you'd only have the radio trigger option if you want TTL.

Would've been a lot easier if they'd just put a Nikon show on the 568 smile

Oct 08 12 01:38 pm Link

Photographer

Martin Schiff Photo

Maitland, Florida, US

Pixel King triggers do work with the Yongnuo 565EX on Canon. In fact, they have far more functionality than the more expensive Pocket Wizard MiniTT1 and FlexTT5 combination. The Pixel Kings give you some control (FEC and switch to Manual with adjusting power) from the camera menu on my 5DMKIII, the PWs give you none.

If I were buying now, though, I would buy the new Yongnuo YN-622 triggers. Those will for sure work with their flashes.

-- Martin

Oct 08 12 01:49 pm Link

Photographer

rmcapturing

San Francisco, California, US

I have the pixel knight triggers and they don't work well when used with a mix of speedlites that includes the 565ex. I haven't tested with the 565ex alone.

Oct 08 12 02:21 pm Link

Photographer

GH-Photography

Jacksonville, Florida, US

I love the 460ii's and when I get some spare cash I'm going to get a few of the 565's.

Oct 08 12 02:50 pm Link

Photographer

Robb Mann

Baltimore, Maryland, US

I really don't get the point of wanting ttl/ittl compatibility in a third party flash. CLS has such a limited range and is so quirky that I'd rather buy powerful manual flashes and invest in a good reliable trigger system.

Oct 09 12 03:17 am Link

Photographer

Catherdr

Valdosta, Georgia, US

I have used my YN565EX with my SB900 and my SB600 all controlled by my D7000 in commander mode. Worked fine.

Oct 09 12 03:25 am Link

Photographer

Erick Prince

Austin, Texas, US

Catherdr wrote:
I have used my YN565EX with my SB900 and my SB600 all controlled by my D7000 in commander mode. Worked fine.

thats what i thought. i'm a Canon guy but figured if they make basically exact replicas of Canon then they have to make the same for Nikon. Nothing special about Nikon where they couldn't. Point is for the price you can get three YN's (which are great quality. I have never had an issue) for the price of one Canon or Nikon light with the same exact features.

Oct 09 12 07:25 am Link

Photographer

Blue Rose Photo

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

I use Nissin flashes

Oct 09 12 05:30 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Bots

Kingston, Ontario, Canada

gl-amour wrote:
YN-565 has TTL but I haven't compared it yet to SB-900.  It is closer in specs to an SB-800 since its zoom is limited to 105mm.  I use the YN-560 frequently since I usually shoot manual and burnt one out yesterday since my Honl grid attachment trapped the heat.

I can't recall if YN-565 has TTL-BL.

I prefer Yongnuo since they are disposable / consumable equipment due to the lifecycle of the flash bulb in a speedlight.

Certain Canon models use thermal fuses for overheat protection.  Could be the same here.

Oct 09 12 06:22 pm Link

Photographer

Rupert Yen

Memphis, Tennessee, US

Catherdr wrote:

What is commander mode?

Oct 13 12 08:39 pm Link

Photographer

Rob Photosby

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

I have a YongNuo 565 and have not been able to fault it yet. Delivery from China took just 6 working days, too.

Oct 14 12 06:55 am Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

I am sadly on board with the Chinese made Yongnuo.

real inexpensive, well built and boat loads of light...

https://i.imgur.com/m8TQi.png

Oct 14 12 07:02 am Link