Forums > General Industry > Pro's and con's of having the photographers name
guide forum

Photographer

Rays Fine Art

New York, New York, US

Autonomy II wrote:
unmarked images = paid work

marked images = trade or public (see cyber) promotion

No reputable photographer will provide unmarked images on trade alone.

I truly hope that was an unfortunate choice of words, and not that you are suggesting improper conduct on the part of those of us that choose not to watermark!

Oct 09 12 07:08 pm Link

Photographer

Darren Brade

London, England, United Kingdom

Mike Kelcher wrote:
The better model agencies don't like text on the front of the images. So, for portfolio use in a major market, it'll hurt you in a print portfolio.

For on-line use, like any other use, you want to present yourself in the best way possible. So, for you, it's best if it doesn't detract the viewer's from you.  Many photographers ruin the aesthetic quality of online images by making sure nobody would want to steal them. What they end up with is junque from the model's point of view.

While this is great for agencies, you have missed out the fact that the majority of models on MM are not with agencies and are not marketing themselves to big name clients but other photographers, they often don't need prints and will not always credit other team members in their shoots.

People often forget that Internet Modelling is a DIFFERENT business model to agency modelling, yet still try to shoe-horn the same practises into it. Until every MM model is agency represented and every MM photographer shoots for a client (rather than for themselves) people are just going to have to accept what happens in the "real" world does not necessarily apply to the Internet world.

Oct 10 12 02:18 am Link

Photographer

Darren Brade

Lauren Reynolds MUA wrote:
Look at the images of highly successful, actively working photographers/etc - no watermarks.

Again the "real" world example does not necessarily apply to Internet Modelling. In the real world, the pros don't do things for free, the images have been paid for and are more likely to belong to a client after said client has paid.

If a pro photographer is testing a model, mua, etc, they are not necessarily going to give images anyway since that is not the purpose of a test unless there is an agreement beforehand with the agency.

People often forget that Internet Modelling is a DIFFERENT business model to agency modelling.

Oct 10 12 02:26 am Link

Photographer

Darren Brade

P.S. I hate using the terms "real", "pro", or "Internet", but I think that is the easiest way to express the different markets/businesses.

Oct 10 12 02:30 am Link

Photographer

AndyBristow Photography

Preston, England, United Kingdom

RKD Photographic wrote:
If you 'need' unwatermarked images then buy them - it's really that simple.
Everything I give out free/TFP gets watermarked.

+1

Oct 10 12 03:03 am Link

Photographer

Harold Rose

Calhoun, Georgia, US

Kelly Anne-Marie wrote:
on your images, What's your opinion?

It is the model's  option to use my business name  or personel name.

Oct 10 12 03:08 am Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

Santa Ana, California, US

Autonomy II wrote:
unmarked images = paid work

marked images = trade or public (see cyber) promotion

This is one of the problems with Internet forums - anyone can post a seemingly authoritative statement and it is taken as fact by those who don't know better.

This one quoted above specifically is just silly, inaccurate and wrong.
Quick for instance: Agency test deliverables are not watermarked and they are "trade work".

Watermarked images are not particularly useful in the real world.

Oct 10 12 11:05 am Link

Photographer

Erlinda

There is no pro what so ever for a model to have a water mark of the photographers logo/name on their photo.. It's free advertising big_smile

If you like the photographer then sure do it up. If you don't wish for it, ask before working with them not to put it on your images. Some will not agree others will.

Good luck smile

Oct 10 12 12:07 pm Link

Photographer

Art of the nude

Olivet, Michigan, US

Christopher Hartman wrote:
Facebook and other networking sites?  It's fine, but I think a "real" photographer will allow you to promote yourself without their name stamped on your image.

Autonomy II wrote:

Interesting.

Oct 10 12 01:39 pm Link