Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > The Portland/Vancouver Round-Up

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Posts: 21680

Portland, Oregon, US

Hey, can I start a new page for this thread?

Nov 01 12 10:55 am Link

Photographer

Burlap Rats

Posts: 18958

Riverside, California, US

Looknsee Photography wrote:
Hey, can I start a new page for this thread?

No. It is forbidden. tonguetongue

Nov 01 12 01:46 pm Link

Photographer

DougBPhoto

Posts: 38589

Portland, Oregon, US

Coyote Creations NW wrote:
Vancouver based photographer checking in.  The early post about studio space for short term rent is a good idea. I'm working on this now and can post what I find in a few days.  I shoot mostly location stuff, but the winter is long, dark and wet here.  Sometimes I need to shoot inside.

I did some searching online and came up with a quick, short list, but I don't want to post anywhere unless someone in this thread has shot there/rented there/owns there, and I have not checked any/shot at any yet.

Nov 01 12 04:59 pm Link

Photographer

Andrew Kaiser

Posts: 1306

Portland, Oregon, US

yaaaay Portland!

:-)

Nov 01 12 07:41 pm Link

Photographer

Burlap Rats

Posts: 18958

Riverside, California, US

Andrew Kaiser wrote:
yaaaay Portland!

:-)

{claps}

Nov 03 12 03:59 pm Link

Photographer

DougBPhoto

Posts: 38589

Portland, Oregon, US

If anyone knows of any Portland photography/Portland model groups on like Facebook or something, please feel free to post to share with the thread/group.

(By Portland, I mean, Portland, Vancouver, Salem, Forest Grove, Vernonia, wherever...  Portland area.)

Nov 03 12 04:12 pm Link

Photographer

nwprophoto

Posts: 13917

Kalibo, Western Visayas, Philippines

There was a glamor group out of Longview but I don't have FB so no link.

Nov 03 12 04:28 pm Link

Model

LeeLa

Posts: 155

Portland, Oregon, US

nwprophoto wrote:
There was a glamor group out of Longview but I don't have FB so no link.

I envy your Facebooklessness.

Nov 03 12 04:32 pm Link

Photographer

nwprophoto

Posts: 13917

Kalibo, Western Visayas, Philippines

I nominate Doug to start a group.

Nov 03 12 04:35 pm Link

Photographer

DougBPhoto

Posts: 38589

Portland, Oregon, US

nwprophoto wrote:
I nominate Doug to start a group.

I will consider doing exactly that.

Nov 03 12 06:36 pm Link

Photographer

nwprophoto

Posts: 13917

Kalibo, Western Visayas, Philippines

DougBPhoto wrote:
I will consider doing exactly that.

Fixed smile

Nov 03 12 07:10 pm Link

Photographer

DougBPhoto

Posts: 38589

Portland, Oregon, US

nwprophoto wrote:

Fixed smile

Yet, WE (I'm not feeling dictatorial tonight) need to figure out the purpose/point of said group and should it be for MM users only (at this point) or open to any photogs in our area regardless of their photographic interests.

Personally, at this point, I'd like to see it be a networking extension of model related photography genres (which would be a natural progression/complement to a thread like this.)

If anyone wants a Portland area photography FB group, they are welcome to do such a thing.

Thoughts?

Nov 03 12 10:53 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Posts: 21680

Portland, Oregon, US

DougBPhoto wrote:
If anyone knows of any Portland photography/Portland model groups on like Facebook or something, please feel free to post to share with the thread/group.

(By Portland, I mean, Portland, Vancouver, Salem, Forest Grove, Vernonia, wherever...  Portland area.)

There's the Google group, pdx-nude-art.
There's my e-mail distribution list.  I send out a traveling model summary weekly.

We share resources, locations, references, and other information.  We announce shows.  We occasionally do group activities.  I host an Artists & Models get together, usually once a year.

Want to know more -- MM mail me, but send me your real e-mail address.

Nov 04 12 09:27 am Link

Photographer

DougBPhoto

Posts: 38589

Portland, Oregon, US

Looknsee Photography wrote:
There's the Google group, pdx-nude-art.
There's my e-mail distribution list.  I send out a traveling model summary weekly.

We share resources, locations, references, and other information.  We announce shows.  We occasionally do group activities.  I host an Artists & Models get together, usually once a year.

Want to know more -- MM mail me, but send me your real e-mail address.

Thanks for sharing this for folks.

I'm actually on the e-mail list.  Could not make it to your gathering as I was shooting an event that day.

I do appreciate all that you do, and look forward to your updates, what I was trying to think of was something to further help local folks socialize and network within our community.

I don't use Google, but I may try to check it out...   

For the Facebook group idea, I'm not sure if it should be only 18 or older, or anyone with an MM (and working models/hmua who may not be on MM.)

Nov 04 12 10:11 am Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Posts: 22615

Salem, Oregon, US

i like the idea of a NW-oriented fbook group for those with mayhem accounts. i'm on several photographer and photo location fbook groups but they aren't mayhem-specific. but i think fbook is pretty restrictive in terms of what you can post in terms of raciness (i keep hearing models having their accounts deleted because someone complained).

Nov 04 12 11:28 am Link

Photographer

DougBPhoto

Posts: 38589

Portland, Oregon, US

twoharts wrote:
i like the idea of a NW-oriented fbook group for those with mayhem accounts. i'm on several photographer and photo location fbook groups but they aren't mayhem-specific. but i think fbook is pretty restrictive in terms of what you can post in terms of raciness (i keep hearing models having their accounts deleted because someone complained).

Yeah, their rules of what you can post are restrictive, however, the point of such a group would not be to upload images, I think all of us have better places to do that with better quality on the images.

I have *not* heard of anyone's accounts having problems due as a result of linking via posts.

Are your photographer/location groups NW/Portland oriented?

Nov 04 12 11:47 am Link

Photographer

Danger Ninja

Posts: 22238

Portland, Oregon, US

yo

Nov 04 12 12:25 pm Link

Model

P I X I E

Posts: 35327

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Almost moved to Vancouver a few years back... Might move there down the road.

Oh wait, not referring to the Canadian Vancouver... Nevermind.

Nov 04 12 01:21 pm Link

Photographer

DougBPhoto

Posts: 38589

Portland, Oregon, US

P I X I E wrote:
Almost moved to Vancouver a few years back... Might move there down the road.

Oh wait, not referring to the Canadian Vancouver... Nevermind.

Yeah, sorry, the real Vancouver. 

(Vancouver, WA was incorporated 29 years before Vancouver BC, and Fort Vancouver, the precursor to the city, 60 years prior to the one in BC.)

Nothing against BC though.

Nov 04 12 02:08 pm Link

Model

Inanna C

Posts: 684

Portland, Oregon, US

Hello!

Nov 04 12 10:50 pm Link

Photographer

DougBPhoto

Posts: 38589

Portland, Oregon, US

Inanna C wrote:
Hello!

Welcome to the thread !!!

Nov 04 12 10:52 pm Link

Model

Inanna C

Posts: 684

Portland, Oregon, US

DougBPhoto wrote:

Welcome to the thread !!!

thank you!!

Nov 04 12 10:54 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Posts: 21680

Portland, Oregon, US

To Portland Area Photographers:
A lot of us photographers belong to a Google group, pdx-nude-art, and I also maintain an e-mail distribution list (contact me if you want in).  We share information on stuff like traveling model schedules, shared resources, shared references, shows, events, etc.  I think it's great.

To Portland Area Models: 
I'm thinking about pulling together a distribution list of local models, but I think it's important to have some idea why we'd want a models-only distribution list.  Some thoughts / questions:

...  Would models be interested in a summary of traveling photographers?

...  What would you think about a central place to donate clothes and/or props
     for other models to use?  I'm sure many models have clothes that they don't
     want to pose in, so they can drop them off & maybe pick up something new.

...  What other topics would models be interested in?

Nov 05 12 12:01 pm Link

Photographer

DougBPhoto

Posts: 38589

Portland, Oregon, US

*bump* for the weekend

Nov 10 12 03:13 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Posts: 21680

Portland, Oregon, US

Hey -- I had a thought:

Could we create an MM member, called something like "Portland Area Photographers", and share the username & password to access it.  That way, we all could post a picture or two (with appropriate accreditation, of course).  We would restrict our "friends" only to Portland area people.  If a photographer wants to add a picture & the portfolio is full, we can delete whichever picture has been on there the longest.

Whatcha think?

Nov 11 12 10:01 am Link

Photographer

nwprophoto

Posts: 13917

Kalibo, Western Visayas, Philippines

Looknsee Photography wrote:
Hey -- I had a thought:

Could we create an MM member, called something like "Portland Area Photographers", and share the username & password to access it.  That way, we all could post a picture or two (with appropriate accreditation, of course).  We would restrict our "friends" only to Portland area people.  If a photographer wants to add a picture & the portfolio is full, we can delete whichever picture has been on there the longest.

Whatcha think?

Dean and Brian wouldn't like it as it violates site rules.

Nov 11 12 11:50 am Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Posts: 21680

Portland, Oregon, US

nwprophoto wrote:

Dean and Brian wouldn't like it as it violates site rules.

Glad I asked first.

Nov 11 12 01:26 pm Link

Photographer

nwprophoto

Posts: 13917

Kalibo, Western Visayas, Philippines

There is always the events section and here.

Nov 11 12 04:41 pm Link

Photographer

DougBPhoto

Posts: 38589

Portland, Oregon, US

nwprophoto wrote:
There is always the events section and here.

Has to be one of the worst designs for a feature on this site sad

Nov 14 12 06:39 pm Link

Photographer

nwprophoto

Posts: 13917

Kalibo, Western Visayas, Philippines

DougBPhoto wrote:
Has to be one of the worst designs for a feature on this site sad

I thought that was Bulletins...

Nov 14 12 07:43 pm Link

Photographer

DougBPhoto

Posts: 38589

Portland, Oregon, US

nwprophoto wrote:

I thought that was Bulletins...

at least bulletins has something to do with people on my friends list

events, without any organization and no option to see just things in your area, you know, the stuff relevant to us... thus I find it pretty useless

Nov 15 12 11:00 pm Link

Photographer

Anthony Thurston

Posts: 697

Independence, Oregon, US

Checking in , Im actually closer the Salem area. But am in the Portland area fairly often.

Nov 15 12 11:18 pm Link

Photographer

DougBPhoto

Posts: 38589

Portland, Oregon, US

AM Photography wrote:
Checking in , Im actually closer the Salem area. But am in the Portland area fairly often.

It counts... welcome aboard...

the more the merrier and hopefully the more active this thread can be!!

Nov 15 12 11:33 pm Link

Photographer

MCB Imagery

Posts: 146

Portland, Oregon, US

Hey Portland!  Checking in...
I'd be interested in meeting up sometime.

My studio space is inner-East side (it's okay, it's actually safe on that side of the river).   wink

Nov 16 12 10:42 pm Link

Photographer

nwprophoto

Posts: 13917

Kalibo, Western Visayas, Philippines

MCB Imagery wrote:
My studio space is inner-East side (it's okay, it's actually safe on that side of the river).   wink

They have the drum circle on Sundays during the winter or is that just a summer thing?

Nov 20 12 10:44 am Link

Photographer

MCB Imagery

Posts: 146

Portland, Oregon, US

nwprophoto wrote:
They have the drum circle on Sundays during the winter or is that just a summer thing?

Nice. smile  Summers mostly... unless under grow lights in basements the rest of the year (no, wait... that's WA now, right?).  You're thinking Hawthorne or Ladd's.  This place is more industrial with some fantastic places continuing to pop up (e.g., Olympic Provisions).  Come across the bridge and check it out... although I know some WA folks freak out about coming to the 'big city' to do their shopping.  lol.  Finding parking... one-way streets... food carts (are they sanitary?)...

Nov 20 12 10:55 am Link

Photographer

DougBPhoto

Posts: 38589

Portland, Oregon, US

Wishing a Happy Thanksgiving to all the Portland (and surrounding) area peeps.

Nov 22 12 11:38 am Link

Photographer

Burlap Rats

Posts: 18958

Riverside, California, US

Merry Portland Christmas!

Dec 25 12 12:09 am Link

Photographer

DougBPhoto

Posts: 38589

Portland, Oregon, US

Merry Christmas, one and all, to all Portlandiers and Portlandiers at heart

(and Vancouver WA'ers, and Salemers, and Seasiders, and Vernoniaers, and Beavertowners.. etc)

Dec 25 12 08:23 am Link

Model

Miss Redrose

Posts: 901

Portland, Oregon, US

Salemer checking in. wink

Dec 25 12 02:55 pm Link