Alexandria, Virginia, US

Where costs come in for me is when a model wants to trade for portfolio work - 

I can't do it

Studio: 35-50/hr  (weekday / weekend)
Hair      100 /day rate
MUA      100/day rate
Stylist   100/day rate

I can't give that away.

Even if the model wants to self style I can't afford to give away the studio time. 

if it's my project and I am getting something I value out of it I will bear some costs that are proportionate in my own estimation - this is nobody's problem but my own...

And of course if a paying client is involved I will apportion costs and pay accordingly.

You would never hear me rant, though, about my equipment costs etc, those are my responsibility alone.

Oct 10 12 11:48 am Link

Photographer

Mortonovich

San Diego, California, US

ChiMo wrote:
When you roll up to a job and unload shitloads of equipment, yes, it impresses people.

I've assisted on plenty of jobs where we simply set up stands with lights, set out packs, etc, etc, knowing full well we were going to shoot with one light only, strictly for the dog and pony show. Yes it impresses people. No, I don't like it that it does but that's the reality.

Michael Pandolfo wrote:
I get that and yes it's a part of the show (well put) for the CLIENT. Not necessarily to impress them but also to give them some peace of mind that they've made a wise investment. Setting up lots of equipment gives the perception that they're getting something more than Anita in Human Resources and her Digital Rebel. All perception.

But the photographers who try that when the audience is other industry professionals who know better...well that just silly.

You'll certainly get no argument from me there!!

Oct 10 12 11:53 am Link

Photographer

Mortonovich

San Diego, California, US

howard r wrote:
op is missing the point

the reality is most artists are a) not wired for business, b) not always the most self-confident people, c) usually relatively young. these three factors usually mean artists tend to be absolutely terrible negotiators.

they're awkward about money, embarrassed about standing up for themselves, and they don't yet have real world financial realities like keeping up the family's health insurance while making house payments and putting 2 kids through college.

as a result, artists often need to be hit over the head with "remember how much goes into the cost of every photograph you take! it's not just the $35 dollars you spent today. it's also the tens of thousands of dollars you spent yesterday."

and of course - mm being what it is - when they finally do speak out, they get jumped on by other photographers for bragging too much.

it would be kinda of funny if it weren't so depressing . . .

Maybe a true photography training curriculum would not only include marketing but therapy!  big_smile

Oct 10 12 11:56 am Link

Photographer

Woven Thought

Petersburg, Virginia, US

Woven Thought wrote:
I took some great photos with my Pentax K-1000 with the basic lens.

intense puppy wrote:
Almost my entire port was taken with one of those.
I might upgrade to an ME Super one day if I feel like splashing out the cash.... big_smile

I'd probably still be using mine if it hadn't been stolen!!

Oct 10 12 12:06 pm Link

Photographer

Rp-photo

Houston, Texas, US

Fotografica Gregor wrote:
I can't do it

Hair      100 /day rate
MUA      100/day rate
Stylist   100/day rate

It's also possible to create great images without any of that.

Oct 10 12 12:07 pm Link

Photographer

Fotografica Gregor

Alexandria, Virginia, US

rp_photo wrote:
It's also possible to create great images without any of that.

Well of course -  depending on what the goals and expectations are -

I can't really use anything in my port that is not at least decently styled including hair and MUA else it's a waste of time to me especially if I have to bear any expense.  For the most part I also need also agency standard (or very close) models

What I do is Editorial and Commercial work.  I don't shoot shots of pretty girls in nature or naked around the house for fun and enjoyment.  For those who do the costs are somewhat less of course.

If I can't sell it or get it published or if it does not contribute to where I am taking my portfolio then I would have to be paid in addition to expenses in order to consider it.

But that's just me...

Oct 10 12 12:17 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

KlassyKlix wrote:
Bragging about the cost of equipment seems silly. I don't hear models bragging about their expensive clothes.

Some don't wear clothes.   smile

Oct 10 12 12:24 pm Link

Model

Laura UnBound

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

ChiMo wrote:
When you roll up to a job and unload shitloads of equipment, yes, it impresses people.

I've assisted on plenty of jobs where we simply set up stands with lights, set out packs, etc, etc, knowing full well we were going to shoot with one light only, strictly for the dog and pony show. Yes it impresses people. No, I don't like it that it does but that's the reality.

It will impress your clients, but probably not your average Internet llama who knows she can get the same thing from someone else minus the ego trip.

I think the op is referring mostly to people who use their bank statement to try and prove that they're worth more than you are to the end result, therefore, you should pay them/do them a favor/respect them more/whatever

There are people who can't shoot their way out of a paper bag, but want me to pay them JUST because they spent a lot of money on their gear.

Or I should trade with them simply because they spent money, not because of what their work actually looks like and if it would actually help me at all

"I bought the camera, I deserve to be paid so that I can return the money I spent to my bank account" rather than "I invested in something that I wanted to do and I should own up to my decision making or simply return my equipment until I feel less guilty about my purchases"

Oct 10 12 12:35 pm Link

Model

JessicaB - Model

Jacksonville, Florida, US

I factor in time off from my day job. If the photographer isn't going to pay me what I would be making there then it's not worth it to shoot.

Oct 10 12 12:40 pm Link

Photographer

Lovely Day Media

Vineland, New Jersey, US

I'm likely not the world's greatest photographer ... but I haven't spent 6, or even 5 figures on equipment.  I am self taught and haven't been doing it *that* long.  I like to think my pictures get better and better all the time, but ultimately it's up to the individual to be the judge of that for themselves.  Some people look at my port and say they "love it".  Others look and say they hate it.  What's the point?

The point is I'm an artist.  My work isn't for everyone and everyone isn't going to like it.  No one cares if I shoot Canon or Nikon.  They equally don't care if I show up with a tractor trailer filled with equipment or one camera body and one lens.  What matters is that the images are of the same quality that's in my portfolio or better.

The only cost I rant about is gasoline.  Even that doesn't matter much because I either burn it to get to a shoot or I save it and don't get the shoot.  Depending on the person involved, most of the time I'd rather burn it.

popcorn

Oct 10 12 12:45 pm Link

Photographer

Yan Tan Tethera

Biggleswade, England, United Kingdom

rp_photo wrote:
I am proud of:

Being self-taught and spending virtually nothing on education.

Doing what I can with "very low 5 figures" worth of gear.

Never taking pay.

Paying worthy models more and more.

This is the nadir of the nadir of your posts.

Oct 10 12 12:48 pm Link

Photographer

DG at studio47

East Ridge, Tennessee, US

the only thing that should impress anyone is the images. period.

I spent most all my life as an amateur artist. its called being a scab artist.
no formal education in art.

in 1988 I took a job teaching at a local community college. I began taking courses at night that I was interested in. One of them was a life drawing class. the teacher was head of the art dept and had 3 masters degrees and a long career behind her. when we had the annual spring art show I entered one of my class project works. it was a juried art show that was judged by highly educated art professors from out of town. I won first place.
later I had some of my art in a local gallery and sold all but one piece. after that I began doing consignment pieces for clients.

when I got tired of the art 'scene' I got interested in photography. I spent $3,000 eight years ago [part of a retirement fund] and converted a large room [16X30] in my house into a studio. I have in excess of 230,000 archived raw images and about 8,000 edited images. I have had one camera and two lenses for all of that work. I had a set of 3 AB800 lights and misc accessories. Never changed a flash ring. never lost an image, camera still works perfectly.

I became licensed in massage therapy and created a very successful business from the ground up with no public advertizing.

The bottom line is the image, the art, the service you create/provide. The drive to excel at something determines what will happen for you as an individual. Make your own 'luck' and create your own destiny.yada yada yada. true story.

results matter.

Oct 10 12 01:06 pm Link

Photographer

Woven Thought

Petersburg, Virginia, US

JessicaBaker wrote:
I factor in time off from my day job. If the photographer isn't going to pay me what I would be making there then it's not worth it to shoot.

I'm curious how that doesn't go both ways.

Oct 10 12 01:56 pm Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

Woven Thought wrote:

I'm curious how that doesn't go both ways.

It does.
Annoying when anyone on the team (if there is one) thinks their time is more valuable.

Oct 10 12 02:00 pm Link

Photographer

4point0

Los Angeles, California, US

fullmetalphotographer wrote:
As for my education I did junior and a 4 year college. I majored in photojournalism and minored in photography. Now if you what a good laugh did that for a career in photojournalism in which the pay is around $25,000-35,000 a year. So a high school janitor makes more than the average photojournalist. wink

One thing I learned while photographing the NFL and major news events there is always someone with a bigger badder system

I can confirm both. The last time I was assigned to Obama there was this guy I have no idea how he was standing. He must have had 50 pounds of equipment strapped to him or hanging off him. The work is hard and the pay is not good. I perform community service is how I see it for the paper and do things on the side.

Oct 10 12 03:19 pm Link

Photographer

PHOTOS BY DILLEN

Cartersville, Georgia, US

rp_photo wrote:
We've all read the rants about how much photographers spend on equipment and software, but the latest I saw also made mention of how they spent almost 6 figures on an education at a questionable local art institute.

Is that supposed to impress people?

why??? you jealous?

Oct 10 12 04:07 pm Link

Artist/Painter

JJMiller

Buffalo, New York, US

Photography is in the CG field today- you can learn all you need to know through google searches. It's no different than 3D or VFX or composting or digital painting.

Oct 10 12 05:58 pm Link

Photographer

Rp-photo

Houston, Texas, US

PHOTOS BY DILLEN wrote:

why??? you jealous?

Not at all, since my education cost almost 6 figures less.

Oct 10 12 07:17 pm Link

Photographer

salvatori.

Amundsen-Scott - permanent station of the US, Unclaimed Sector, Antarctica

Oct 10 12 07:37 pm Link

Photographer

David Desoer

Cayuga, Ontario, Canada

Oct 10 12 07:45 pm Link

Photographer

Jason Haven

Washington, District of Columbia, US

The whole costs thing is also purely personal responsibility. Photography is exactly what you make of it. You don't need to spend much at all to enjoy the hobby AND produce high quality work.

That being said, I like toys, so I end up spending more than I should. big_smile

Oct 10 12 08:04 pm Link

Photographer

Jason Haven

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Fotografica Gregor wrote:
Where costs come in for me is when a llama wants to trade for portfolio work - 

I can't do it

Hair      100 /day rate
MUA      100/day rate
Stylist   100/day rate

I can't give that away.

Even if the llama wants to self style I can't afford to give away the studio time. 

if it's my project and I am getting something I value out of it I will bear some costs that are proportionate in my own estimation - this is nobody's problem but my own...

And of course if a paying client is involved I will apportion costs and pay accordingly.

You would never hear me rant, though, about my equipment costs etc, those are my responsibility alone.

Natural nudes in the livingroom is my answer to those costs. wink

Oct 10 12 08:05 pm Link

Photographer

Adrian Carmody

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

If I need a lens, I shoot a wedding.

If I feel the need to gloat about how much I've wasted on Camera gear, I save it for nerd chatter with other Photographers.

How you present yourself matters, and I'm wary of anyone that focuses on their don't, won'ts, beefs and hates instead of what they actually want to create

Oct 10 12 08:09 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Farrell

Nashville, Tennessee, US

It IS indeed part of the formula for what photographers' rates should be based on.....but not a bargaining chip for what their work is actually worth. It's one of those things that should be factored in, not vocalized.

Oct 10 12 08:12 pm Link

Photographer

AJ_In_Atlanta

Atlanta, Georgia, US

So I don't care how much someone spent on gear, it just makes them sound like a bad business person.

As for education, let's be honest about that; the majority of self taught photographers suck, plain and simple.  Most cann't figure out exposure, get off program mode, or ask questions like what's the best lens for fashion/beauty/glamour or whatever, they can be found all over CL. At least those who went to school of some kind know how to work their equipment and how to creat an image.  Sure it could be a boring image, school can't always help with that, but they know what / how they got there.

Take a talented creative person and give them a decent education and they usually excel far beyond what just raw talent would have achieved.

Oct 10 12 08:20 pm Link

Photographer

Chicchowmein

Palm Beach, Florida, US

gotta love rants about rants

Oct 10 12 08:26 pm Link

Photographer

GER Photography

Imperial, California, US

KlassyKlix wrote:
Bragging about the cost of equipment seems silly. I don't hear models bragging about their expensive clothes.

But in private, I've heard them bragg about the cost of their ( @ Y @ )'s :-)))))

Oct 10 12 08:42 pm Link

Photographer

Rob Photosby

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

KlassyKlix wrote:

I certainly hope not - I shoot nudes.

Oct 10 12 08:43 pm Link

Photographer

R Michael Walker

Costa Mesa, California, US

So the OP saying he is so good he needs neither education nor top notch equipment seems to be just the other end of the spectrum..same rant though. But saying he's uneducated and cheap is a new twist on bragging. Gotta give him props for that.

As for Trade shoots, everyone bears their own costs and if they feel they are getting the short end of the stick either they didn't iron out all the details of who does and gets what in advance of the shoot and/or should have never agreed to the shoot in the first place, or they are a just a legend in their own mind.

Oct 10 12 09:00 pm Link

Photographer

R80

Marceline, Missouri, US

Just love these dick waving rants as to who's spent more, had more education, blah, blah, blah.
I find it interesting when these arguments come up to calculate just how much I have spent OVER THE YEARS on equipment and further training.  It's all what I consider "business investment, turnover". 
Sure, I could go out and take better photos with my old Graphlex 4X5 than a lot of folks on here, but it's easier to whip out a newer, smaller, more efficient DSLR.  I do what I do with what I have to do one thing - get the job done.

People on here (the younger ones I'm guessing) love to criticize how some of the people that have been around for years take shittier photos than they can, even if they've never put in the effort or cost to study.  But the thing is, can they do it consistently without ever flubbing?

A person that's been in the business for years, even more than a critic's age, says one thing: they are successful at what they do.  They can deliver.  Creativity is all well and good, but when it comes right down to it, it doesn't mean shit if that isn't what your client wants.  I've found many times over the years that you can bust your ass being creative and what the client ends up buying is the same old, same old because that's what they had in mind when they decided to purchase from you.

Sure, I love being creative, it's the nature of this field whether it be a profession or a hobby, but I have to pay my bills, make a living and hopefully have some left over for other things - yeah, often that may be new gear because what I use on a daily basis wears out a lot quicker than that owned by the amateur.  I love those infrequent times when I can drag out the old Mickey Moles and play around, but use them on a job?  Not today.

Perhaps what someone mentioned about people with an artistic flair having feelings of inferiority or a lack of confidence may be true.  It seems to ring out in many of these rants. Perhaps they feel the seasoned pro is too stiff of competition and thus try to tear them down lest they never achieve the place the pro holds.  But they can if they want and if they WORK at it.  Nothing comes free and no one is going to hand you a brass ring just because you want it.

Yeah, I'm one of those that have spent a lot.  It's a requirement.  I'd be happy to sell some of you an 8,000 dollar camera for a couple of hundred, since for a while you could pick them up on Ebay for 50 - 100 bucks.  Then, you could brag about how much you have in (past) value.  But you won't find see me being one of those that lists all their gear and value - crooks can read these posts too.

As to those that think they are far better than old pros, prove it, and I don't mean by posting a kewl image or two.  Show me your financial records on what you've made the past few years.  Show me your financial projections and your account developments.  But hey, don't worry, we old guys are retiring every day and that means there's a lot of solid business out there for you.  All you have to do is what we did - go get it by working for it.

One place I never waste my time with is the critique section.  Why?  Because we all have our ideas of what art is whether it is or isn't.  I don't like to speak on someone else's craftmanship.  I critique my own work and I'm a hell of a hard ass on it.  Almost everything could be improved in some way or another.  Critiquing a person's artwork is akin to critiquing his religion.  If he wants help, fine, but who am I to say what is and isn't right in his depiction of his own idea?

Oct 10 12 09:01 pm Link

Photographer

Herman Surkis

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

ChiMo wrote:

Far toooo true.

Oct 11 12 12:32 am Link

Photographer

Herman Surkis

Jerry Nemeth wrote:

Some don't wear clothes.   smile

Since nude models don't have the expense of cloths, and MUA, should they not charge less?????

Oct 11 12 12:46 am Link

Photographer

Herman Surkis

Jules NYC wrote:

It does.
Annoying when anyone on the team (if there is one) thinks their time is more valuable.

Speculation here.
If I am a lawyer billing $500 dollars per hour.
And you are a waitress making $17/hr.
And we both take time off to shoot.
Whose time is more valuable?

Oct 11 12 12:53 am Link

Photographer

Drew Smith Photography

Nottingham, England, United Kingdom

rp_photo wrote:
Doing what I can with "very low 5 figures" worth of gear.

I also work with a low 5 figure's worth of gear:

£107.38p

Oct 11 12 12:56 am Link

Photographer

Rich Burroughs

Portland, Oregon, US

Jordan Bunniie wrote:
agreed 100%

Try shooting Polaroid film smile

I'm almost always pretty unimpressed with the work of people who start off their profile saying they've been shooting for 20 or 30 years. Like 98% of the time.

I've always felt the work stands on its own. I've you've been shooting for a week and take amazing images, I'm going to be more impressed with you if anything.

Oct 11 12 12:58 am Link

Photographer

Fotografica Gregor

Alexandria, Virginia, US

ASYLUM - Photo wrote:

Natural nudes in the livingroom is my answer to those costs. wink

And they are very lovely -

but I shoot what I need to shoot to take my work in a different direction

Don't misunderstand - I'm not complaining about the cost - I am laying out my business model in response to the "rant" to the effect that there are not legitimate cost factors in professional photography smile

Oct 11 12 01:04 am Link

Photographer

Camerosity

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

fullmetalphotographer wrote:
So a high school janitor makes more than the average photojournalist. wink

Only in California. lol

When I was in journalism school in the 1960's, a professor told us we'd never make $10,000/year working for a newspaper. Of course the high inflation of the 1970's changed all that. It wasn't true even back then if you worked at a Guild newspaper.

Oct 11 12 01:08 am Link

Photographer

Camerosity

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

rp_photo wrote:
We've all read the rants about how much photographers spend on equipment and software, but the latest I saw also made mention of how they spent almost 6 figures on an education at a questionable local art institute.

Photography equipment has always been expensive, either for a hobbyist or a professional. It's just a fact of life.

Back in 1965, when I got my first Nikon F for high school graduation, a Nikon F with 50mm f/1.4 lens cost $440 retail. That was a lot back then. (My parents had a friend pick one up at the duty-free Hong Kong Airport camera store for exactly half that.)

Kudos to those who crank out quality work using inexpensive equipment.

Some people seem to think the cost of their equipment justifies high rates - or justifies them charging at all. Costs don't justify rates. They're just a factor in how much you have to charge to make money. The justification lies not in the front-end costs but in the quality of the finished product.

Oct 11 12 01:15 am Link

Photographer

Darren Brade

London, England, United Kingdom

rp_photo wrote:

From my own experiences with evening classes, the way some of these colleges are run (in the UK) I'm not surprised they are questionable.

I've taken a few evening classes in the past and although I think some of the colleges I've been to are poorly administered, I do recognised the need for further education. Yes I'm 90% self taught, but sometimes it's nice for someone to actually show me rather than have to figure things out myself.

Oct 11 12 02:07 am Link

Photographer

Robert Lynch

Bowie, Maryland, US

Herman Surkis wrote:
Speculation here.
If I am a lawyer billing $500 dollars per hour.
And you are a waitress making $17/hr.
And we both take time off to shoot.
Whose time is more valuable?

That would depend on whose contributions were more significant to the success of the images created.  Anything outside that time is irrelevant.  I can bill a hefty hourly rate for custom software development.  That has no bearing on how valuable my contributions might be helping my neighbor repair his car.  It doesn't matter if you're the greatest lawyer in 100 miles, when you have a camera in your hand your value is determined by the quality of the images that you produce.

Oct 11 12 04:15 am Link