Forums > General Industry > Instagram, facebook where do you draw the line?

Model

Nay Louise

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

So, By chance i found one of the photographers i worked with on Instagram. I looked through some photos and surely enough there were a few of me. The problem? There were ones from my MM that he didn't take on his instagram, but ones that another photog took. Found it a little weird.  What do you think about this?

Also i get a little annoyed when photos are posted on facebook and instagram when i was never asked. Of course i would say yes but  its courteous to ask "hey do you mind if i put some photos on fb blah blah".

Yeah i know photographers own the pics but its nice to know you have a little control over things.

Oct 13 12 02:02 am Link

Model

Isabella55

West Hollywood, California, US

We've all been there, just let them know that you would prefer it if they asked your permission before posting pics. You mentioned the photographer posting ones that they didn't take, that does need to be addressed and really is odd.

Oct 13 12 02:12 am Link

Photographer

Primordial Creative

Los Angeles, California, US

Only thing that annoys me is when I shoot a model and they use some designer stuff that I dont know about.  Then the designer sees the image and assumes that it's a promo piece for them, reposg it and dont even credit me.  Seriously annoying.  When I am aware of the designer I credit them, but they gave stuff to the model as payment, or the model bought it~ whatever their deal, just because it appears in a photo does not give the designer the right to repost or use on a site.

Oct 13 12 02:13 am Link

Model

Nay Louise

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

David Miller Photoworks wrote:
Only thing that annoys me is when I shoot a model and they use some designer stuff that I dont know about.  Then the designer sees the image and assumes that it's a promo piece for them, reposg it and dont even credit me.  Seriously annoying.  When I am aware of the designer I credit them, but they gave stuff to the model as payment, or the model bought it~ whatever their deal, just because it appears in a photo does not give the designer the right to repost or use on a site.

Totally undserstand what you mean. But i think a designer can sue if you use there stuff in pics or if there logo on the clothes, i think i'd rather them use the image than sue me if i was a photog. Annoying though.

Oct 13 12 02:53 am Link

Photographer

Ken D Photography

Marietta, Ohio, US

Isabella55 wrote:
You mentioned the photographer posting ones that they didn't take, that does need to be addressed and really is odd.

Not really odd, has happened to me several times, one even tried to sell one of my photos for advertising purposes. That's one reason I dislike facebook, buy a camera, copy some images you like, and you're an instant photographer. I've even had one model contact me saying I should take an image down because I didn't take it, a very talented photographer on facebook took the photo, she knew that because his name was on the posted photo. When I told her to contact the model and ask her who took the photo, she blocked me.

Oct 13 12 05:32 am Link

Photographer

Neil Snape

Paris, Île-de-France, France

I didn't think FB posts would be a problem. All the models that come here to work with me ask me. So I assume that that is because they like what I do, and my promoting their pix on FB is a fair support.

If it is a problem maybe I will have to ask.

For you it is.

I know nothing about Instagram though and have no intentions of ever using that .

Oct 13 12 05:49 am Link

Photographer

B R U N E S C I

Bath, England, United Kingdom

Naomi L A wrote:
There were ones from my MM that he didn't take on his instagram, but ones that another photog took.

That's definitely out of line - you should inform the photographer who took the pictures so that he can decide what he wishes to do about it.

Naomi L A wrote:
Also i get a little annoyed when photos are posted on facebook and instagram when i was never asked. Of course i would say yes but  its courteous to ask "hey do you mind if i put some photos on fb blah blah".

Your attitude is very wrong.

The photos belong to the photographer who shot them. There is no question of needing your permission and there is no need to ask because it's not discourteous to post a photo of a model who posed willingly for it (and, I assume, signed a model release if appropriate).

If you don't want photos of you posted on the internet, stop modelling, now. 

Just my $0.02

Ciao
Stefano
www.stefanobrunesci.com

Oct 13 12 05:53 am Link

Model

Julia Steel

Sylvania, Ohio, US

i just assume that the photographer will be posting them whenever and wherever they want, since they own them. that's why i don't agree to shoots that i would be super uncomfortable with other people viewing. i do however ask that if they post them on facebook not to TAG me in them (yes to credit, no to tag), especially if they're of the bondage/overly sexy variety. that way i can put them on my own facebook if i want and control who gets to see them and who can't.

Oct 13 12 06:05 am Link

Photographer

Art of the nude

Grand Rapids, Michigan, US

Naomi L A wrote:

-B-R-U-N-E-S-C-I- wrote:
Your attitude is very wrong.

The photos belong to the photographer who shot them. There is no question of needing your permission and there is no need to ask because it's not discourteous to post a photo of a model who posed willingly for it (and, I assume, signed a model release if appropriate).

If you don't want photos of you posted on the internet, stop modelling, now. 

Just my $0.02

Ciao
Stefano
www.stefanobrunesci.com

Legally, you're right, but personally, if the model's FB is "personal" under her real name, rather than a stage name she uses, I tend to only post G rated there (not just FB safe, G rated).  At least, in my public FB page.  In closed groups, or linked to the photo without a tag, it's a bit different.

Oct 13 12 02:04 pm Link

Photographer

Art of the nude

Grand Rapids, Michigan, US

Caustic Disco wrote:
i just assume that the photographer will be posting them whenever and wherever they want, since they own them. that's why i don't agree to shoots that i would be super uncomfortable with other people viewing. i do however ask that if they post them on facebook not to TAG me in them (yes to credit, no to tag), especially if they're of the bondage/overly sexy variety. that way i can put them on my own facebook if i want and control who gets to see them and who can't.

Hey, that's what I do.  smile 

Like with you, except of course, my pictures of you were miles from "bondage/overly sexy", the naked lady in the background notwithstanding.

Oct 13 12 02:06 pm Link

Photographer

Darren Brade

London, England, United Kingdom

Naomi L A wrote:
So, By chance i found one of the photographers i worked with on Instagram. I looked through some photos and surely enough there were a few of me. The problem? There were ones from my MM that he didn't take on his instagram, but ones that another photog took. Found it a little weird.  What do you think about this?

Yeah i know photographers own the pics but its nice to know you have a little control over things.

Yes, contact the real photographer so he/she can decide if they need taking down. Happens a lot.

You should tell the photographer they need your permission to post BEFORE you accept to do a shoot so they can decide whether to work with you or not. Saves a lot of agro.

Oct 13 12 07:05 pm Link

Model

Cole Morrison

Portland, Oregon, US

It doesnt matter what you do. Someone somewhere is going to post your photos on the internet without asking.

Oct 13 12 07:15 pm Link

Photographer

Lee Nutter

Phnom Penh, Phnom Penh, Cambodia

This is coming from the other direction, but I love it when models post my photos on Facebook or Instagram, providing they tag or credit me. Free publicity! And even if they don't tag me, it shows they got something out of the shoot and will probably be back, or likely to recommend me to others.

And when I shoot, my private and public use of the images is part of the deal, but if I'm at all unsure of their being OK with particular channels (Facebook or Instagram, usually) or certain images being made visible, I ask first out of courtesy.

The photographer who posted other peoples photos though, he should know better. That's seriously not OK.

Oct 14 12 04:08 pm Link

Photographer

Personal Photograph

Davenport, Iowa, US

Sounds like there may be some copyright infringement here.  I'm not a lawyer, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express 1 night.

Oct 14 12 04:17 pm Link

Photographer

4 R D

Mexico City, Distrito Federal, Mexico

Naomi L A wrote:
but its nice to know you have a little control over things.

But the thing is, you do not. Some photographers will have the courtesy of informing you every time they post your pic in a new place. I know I would if I was a self-promotion whore. I would ask mostly to know how the model wants to be credited in a particular site.

Oct 15 12 09:46 am Link

Photographer

Brooks Ayola

Chatsworth, California, US

If I knew ahead of time that I had to ask permission every time I wanted to post pictures of a specific model on the multitude of sites I use, I would probably not shoot that model.

Oct 15 12 11:17 pm Link