Forums > Critique > Critique my pictures? (model)

Model

Genevieve Devine

Saint Paul, Minnesota, US

I have a little experience with modeling but I am really nowhere near where I want to be skill-wise. Any advice??

xo
gen

Oct 13 12 04:32 pm Link

Photographer

ColourFool

Breda, Noord-Brabant, Netherlands

practise ... for some it makes perfect smile

Oct 13 12 04:33 pm Link

Model

Genevieve Devine

Yeah I definitely need more practice!

Oct 13 12 04:35 pm Link

Model

IDiivil

Los Angeles, California, US

TFP with as high quality of photographers as you can and build up your portfolio.

Oct 13 12 04:38 pm Link

Model

Genevieve Devine

Thanks for the reply! Yeah I have been trying... I really just started getting into this and I have only been using craigslist to find casting calls (lol) and it was pretty unsuccessful. Hopefully now I will find some more awesome photographers to work with!!

xo

Oct 13 12 04:40 pm Link

Photographer

Eastfist

Green Bay, Wisconsin, US

You are really cute.  Once you turn 18, I can imagine you being quite successful.  You have take care of your body and looks, which is your most valuable asset (no-brainer).  If you're lucky, you can stretch that "nubile" look for a few years.  Good luck!

Oct 13 12 04:46 pm Link

Model

Genevieve Devine

Thanks so much!! smile

xo

Oct 13 12 04:47 pm Link

Photographer

Orca Bay Images

Lodi, California, US

Genevieve Gleich wrote:
Yeah I definitely need more practice!

Definitely work on your range of expressions.

Oct 13 12 05:07 pm Link

Model

Genevieve Devine

Thanks for the reply smile
xo

Oct 13 12 05:08 pm Link

Photographer

Lee_Photography

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/121010/08/507596d714cb3_m.jpg
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/121010/08/50759682aacf7_m.jpg
You kind of have the same pose and look going on in these photos

Suggest going to Half Priced Books and head to the photography section, look for a book on photography that is for posing people. This will give you some pose ideas and some background on what the photographers is trying to accomplish.

Hit some photographers up in the Twin Cities to do shoots with you.

Wish you great success!

Oct 13 12 05:18 pm Link

Model

Genevieve Devine

Thanks so much!! Yeah my range of poses and expressions is pretty limited in my portfolio. Definitely something I'm gonna work on.

xo

Oct 13 12 05:20 pm Link

Photographer

JORDAN MICHAEL ZUNIGA

Los Angeles, California, US

Remove the piercings, get a better makeup artist, let your hair grow, dont model with wild colored nail polish, give stronger looks to the camera.

Oct 13 12 05:20 pm Link

Model

Genevieve Devine

Thanks for the feedback, the piercings are already gone. My hair will be staying short smile

xo

Oct 13 12 05:22 pm Link

Photographer

D0127H

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Genevieve Gleich wrote:
I have a little experience with modeling but I am really nowhere near where I want to be skill-wise. Any advice??

xo
gen

It's early on but I would say it's a great start, good luck...

Oct 13 12 08:03 pm Link

Model

Genevieve Devine

Thank you!! I really am a newbie. lol. Very willing to work hard for this though

xo

Oct 13 12 08:05 pm Link

Photographer

Richard Young Photo

Lee_Photography wrote:
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/121010/08/507596d714cb3_m.jpg
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/121010/08/50759682aacf7_m.jpg
You kind of have the same pose and look going on in these photos

Suggest going to Half Priced Books and head to the photography section, look for a book on photography that is for posing people. This will give you some pose ideas and some background on what the photographers is trying to accomplish.

Hit some photographers up in the Twin Cities to do shoots with you.

Wish you great success!

I agree with everybody here, so far. As Tyra Banks says: shoot, shoot, shoot. Also, study Vogue, Elle, Town and Country, etc. Practice the poses you see there. Google "free form posing". There are some great Vimeos that you can learn from. You're smart to ask for advice. Take advantage of all that MM offers.

Good success!!

Oct 13 12 08:37 pm Link

Model

Genevieve Devine

Thanks so much for the feedback smile I'm gonna go to the library tomorrow and grab some magazines along with my usual mystery novels lol

xo

Oct 13 12 08:42 pm Link

Photographer

Wendy Hurst Portrait

North Salt Lake, Utah, US

In all your images I see one message in your face: "Did you get that?"

I know you're new to modeling; as you get more photo shoots under your belt, take those placeholders out. What you might need is to come out of your normal character and jump into a new one for a bit. By that I mean trying extreme makeup, a costume, something dramatic and totally unusual for your usual self. Often that helps me move forward.

Oct 18 12 04:06 am Link

Photographer

Julie Anne McGuinness

Brantford, Ontario, Canada

You have the potential for sure.  Being new at this as a model, no one should expect your poses to have perfection, however, if you work with a great photographer, they should be able to help you with this.  I work with models from people who have never done it before to professional models.  It's about the photographer giving direction to the model, just as much as the model giving poses to the photographer  Find a great team to work with (makeup, photographer) and once you do, replace the images you currently have.  The images you currently have aren't doing justice and by looking at you, I can tell you really do have a great look.  Oh...and I love your short hair.  Good luck!

Oct 18 12 05:12 am Link

Photographer

Wendy Hurst Portrait

North Salt Lake, Utah, US

Repeat 3 times after me, louder each time: "I am Genevieve Gleich and I am a rock star!" (louder!)

Now run to the mirror and do a rock star pose. Good. Now hold your hair up, swing your pelvis to the side and make an expression that shows exactly how you feel at this very moment. Exaggerate your pose and have someone take a picture.

Now post it on Facebook and use that rush of emotion you felt during that little mini shoot to keep you going. Your confidence will show.

Good luck! (And let me know how it goes, eh?)

Oct 31 12 03:47 pm Link

Photographer

Mark

New York, New York, US

RIP  just what every 17yo's port needs

Nov 01 12 08:53 pm Link

Photographer

Trevor Martin

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

You have a good fresh look.
Lose the face jewelry in you portfolio in you want greater acceptance to get shoots.

Have a read of the info here. Some of it may help:
http://www.pbase.com/trevormartin/models_hints_and_tips

Practice practice practice....

Good luck!
smile

Nov 01 12 09:06 pm Link

Model

Agent_Zero

New York, New York, US

I dont have much experience either... hmm

But i think you should grow your hair and find better photographers and stylists smile
and if you are tall enough you can probably get into a decent agency.

Nov 08 12 08:07 am Link

Photographer

sospix

Orlando, Florida, US

Shoot, shoot, shoot, and shoot some more  .  .  .  you've got a good look, try some different styles, and a variety of photographers, wear some clothes your mom said NEVER to wear  .  .  .  wink  Hope it goes well for you  .  .  .

SOS

Nov 08 12 08:27 am Link