Forums > General Industry > Don't just say "Interested"

Photographer

Eridu

Posts: 623

Boston, Massachusetts, US

So you've been to school for a year or two
And you know you've seen it all
In daddy's car thinkin' you'll go far
Back East your type don't crawl
Play ethnicky jazz to parade your snazz
On you five grand stereo
Braggin' that you know how the niggers feel the cold
And the slum's got so much soul
It's time to taste what you most fear
Right Guard will not help you here
Brace yourself, my dear
Brace yourself, my dear

It's a holiday in Cambodia
It's tough kid, but it's life
It's a holiday in Cambodia
Don't foget to pack a wife

You're a star-belly sneech you suck like a leech
You want everyone to act like you
Kiss ass while you bitch so you can get rich
But your boss gets richer off you
Well you'll work harder with a gun in your back
For a bowl of rice a day
Slave for soldiers 'til you starve
Then you head is skewered on a stake
Now you can go where people are one
Now you can go where they get things done
What you need, my son...
What you need, my son...
Is a holiday in Cambodia
Where people dress in black
A holiday in Cambodia
Where you'll kiss ass or crack

Pol Pot
Pol Pot
Pol Pot
Pol Pot
Pol Pot
Pol Pot
Pol Pot
Pol Pot

And it's a holiday in Cambodia
Where you'll do what you're told
A holiday in Cambodia
Where the slum's got so much soul
Pol Pot

Oct 14 12 12:47 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Posts: 21638

Portland, Oregon, US

"Don't just say "Interested"",
   ... and...
"Clean your room",
   ... and...
"Get a job",
   ... and...
"Be home by 10:00pm".   smile

By which I mean that ranting here on these forums is not going to change anything.  They might be away from a keyboard, and it's difficult to text lengthy replies on a smartphone.

Or, they might not read your casting call, after all, "reading is soooo hard!".  (Full disclosure:  I didn't read the entire lengthy original post -- reading is for nerds).

Or you might be looking for young, young models who have very little experience in behaving professionally.

But I guess I'm saying, that's just the way the world is, especially when dealing with the very young.  Adapt to the world -- even if you can change the world, the people you change will be experience, and there will be a whole new generation of new models taking their place.



Note:  Alternatively, if you can afford to do so, you can ignore these one-word replies and reward the more appropriate responses -- that way, the universe will take care of everything.

Oct 14 12 12:53 pm Link

Model

Isis22

Posts: 2567

Muncie, Indiana, US

AJScalzitti wrote:

They assumed their time was worth more then yours...

He/she who puts up the casting needs to look at the other's port. If I put up a casting I would darn sure be looking at their port. It seems the entitlement swings both ways.

Oct 14 12 03:01 pm Link

Photographer

Channing L Martinez

Posts: 5

Los Angeles, California, US

Looknsee Photography wrote:
"Don't just say "Interested"",
   ... and...
"Clean your room",
   ... and...
"Get a job",
   ... and...
"Be home by 10:00pm".   smile

By which I mean that ranting here on these forums is not going to change anything.  They might be away from a keyboard, and it's difficult to text lengthy replies on a smartphone.

Or, they might not read your casting call, after all, "reading is soooo hard!".  (Full disclosure:  I didn't read the entire lengthy original post -- reading is for nerds).

Or you might be looking for young, young models who have very little experience in behaving professionally.

But I guess I'm saying, that's just the way the world is, especially when dealing with the very young.  Adapt to the world -- even if you can change the world, the people you change will be experience, and there will be a whole new generation of new models taking their place.



Note:  Alternatively, if you can afford to do so, you can ignore these one-word replies and reward the more appropriate responses -- that way, the universe will take care of everything.

oh, did you mean the geeks making all the money.

I bring this topic up because the "interested" response is a unanimous thing on model mayhem, and the only way anything gets changed is by speaking up.

model mayhem is a very innovative way of operating in this industry. The site literally provides people who would otherwise have a hard time getting any work in this industry a place to learn and thrive.

I don't think it's very productive to tell me i'm wasting my time, as you're sitting and replying to my post....there by also wasting your own time if that be the way to look at it.

That being said, it isn't wasting my time. i'm just one person who likes model mayhem and would like to see improvements in the site, the people that use the site and the ultimate values of the site regarding professionalism

Oct 14 12 03:06 pm Link

Photographer

Maxximages

Posts: 2042

Los Angeles, California, US

Jules NYC wrote:
'Interested' means that they want the gig.
If questions need to be answered, photos sent, etc., that's a different story.

I really see no need on having a 10-page dialogue with someone who wants to pay you to model unless they require specific information.

Where, when, what and how much.
Done.

This. When I put up a casting I try to provide all pertinent info and if someone replies with interested I figure they are and take a look at their port. If i am interested I follow up. If I get no response big deal move on to the next one.

Oct 14 12 03:18 pm Link

Model

SweetGirlyGirl

Posts: 60

Ewa Beach, Hawaii, US

I do this.
And the reason is, so you know I'm first, interested.
But, that way you can look thru my port and see if you really want me for that project.
If not, you don't have to contact me.
I thought that was a nice way of doing it.
I will def be changing the way I respond to castings now, so they know I'm serious.

Oct 14 12 03:20 pm Link

guide forum

Photographer

-JAY-

Posts: 6689

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

90% of the time, I prefer "interested"

Keeps everything organized and on one page (I don't have to manage a couple dozen emails) and once i am ready to cast... i just look through the list and pick who I want.

Then starts the communication.





Works well for me.

Oct 14 12 03:24 pm Link

Photographer

Darren Brade

Posts: 2827

London, England, United Kingdom

OP. Just looked at your two castings. you state "message me if interested" many would regard the comments field as a "message".

i suggest being more specific with what you want them to message you with. in your OP, you list several questions, you should put those in your casting.

You need to change your castings to be specific, they are too open ended.

Then, if they fail to follow the instructions you give, it will be an indicator if they can follow instructions on set too.

Oct 14 12 03:40 pm Link

Photographer

Darren Brade

Posts: 2827

London, England, United Kingdom

-JAY- wrote:
90% of the time, I prefer "interested"

Keeps everything organized and on one page (I don't have to manage a couple dozen emails) and once i am ready to cast... i just look through the list and pick who I want.

Then starts the communication.





Works well for me.

For me, I prefer email, if they can't follow that simple instruction, then chances are they are not going to turn up when based to or follow any other kind of direction.

Plus from experience those that pasted "interested" rarely respond. Those that compose a sentence usually do.

Oct 14 12 03:44 pm Link

Photographer

Rob Photosby

Posts: 2970

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

I am not interested in models  who are too lazy to read a casting call.

My casting calls always end with these or similar words

"Please respond to this casting call only via private message and include your name, contact information, the best time to reach you and your availability for the shoot.

Responses without this information or public responses via comments will not be taken seriously."

Any "interested"s just get deleted.  End of story.

Oct 14 12 08:16 pm Link

Photographer

SugarSharai photography

Posts: 387

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

channing L M Photo wrote:
Those of you who use model mayhem know what i’m talking about. Those people that reply to a casting with one word “interested” as opposed to answering basic questions required for any photo shoot. It seems like a waste of time for me to have to then reply and ask these questions, and then wait a day and a half at times, and maybe longer for a response, to then have to respond again to confirm a date to shoot…….IT’S JUST TO MUCH.

I among others in this industry don’t believe in the idea of the “stupid” or “dumbfounded” model who just sits and looks pretty and has to have someone to wipe their ass when done on the toilet. To be honest; to be a good model is freaking hard work. people like to say that modeling is different from acting, and i’m here to correct that. It isn’t very different; we’re asking you to do the same thing, which is to act out a role that doesn’t necessarily match you’re own personality. The simple difference is that acting, in most situations, requires interaction and the capturing of this role in a time based medium, where as photography requires all of that to be in one frame. it is still acting in most senses of the word.

I mean look a modeling shows on TV; look at Americas Next Top Model for goodness sake. There is a clear divide in the show between the models while on a shoot and the models while at home….and the part they really don’t show is that those women are smart as hell. you think they’re just sitting and being beautiful. No they’re studying all of the top model magazines in the country…in the world. you ask them for a certain look, the good ones can tell you what that look entails, and what each body movement tells their viewers. Modeling isn’t just siting there and being some stupid object….and until people entering the fashion/editorial industry know that….until models on model mayhem really know that…and until model mayhem promotes that as their statute of liberation…..that is professionalism….Model Mayhem will always be looked down upon as utterly amateur .

It’s great that your interested in what ever casting call that you reply to, but honestly we already know that. This is one of the reasons why model mayhem has the cheap, amateur reputation in the industry now, because people don’t think about simple things, such as submitting to a casting.

When you go to a live casting, you don’t just go in looking any type of way and say “i’m interested”…….everyone knows that the casting director might put you out. Look at your model mayhem profile…study your images and in comparison study images printed in fashion spreads. think about what about those images look good…….look at how the models are posing, think about the character they are playing.

So Lets get real with the mess, i’m not using model mayhem because I want to be an amateur, i’m using it because I want to expand my portfolio, my name as a photographer, and most importantly my professional skills. And the only way to do that is to hold yourself to a professional standard. A casting call on model mayhem is equivalent to a casting or an interview in real life. Your response is your practice in the game of professionalism.

These are basic questions to answer right off the back when submitting to a casting call

do you have particular dates and times you’re available to shoot
do you have clothes you’re able to bring
do you need example images of what i’m looking for

The simple question to ask yourself, so as to not make a fool of yourself is “what will they want to know from me” because if your responding at all…we already know that you’re interested, what we really want to know is how can you be of help

I always say message me if this interests you and we can go over the details!!! However, atleast if someone is interested and happen to have that "look" an you like it, just because they didnt send you a message because they were not sure if their look suits your casting, doesnt mean they wont be professional. This just makes it easier to feed through the castings!!

And just to add,   I write interested, because if your looking for someone in particular, dont expect that certain someone to be able to read your mind... Why would we waste our time messaging you ALLLL that info to find out we never qualified to begin with?!   

Height... Is a big one... For me.     Id like to know if you have specific height and hair colour preference as well as length or measurements, and if i DO fit that, why do i need to explain everything to you, when you NOW know i am interested, by commenting, annndd i qualify for EVERY detail your looking for?

However, i do not leave it at interested... I add something to sell myself to make myself the better marketer... Buuut sometimes this is consider ego stroking or whatever... Soo i dont like to go there if i dont have to.

If i fit your criteria, i like your idea, YOU message ME, to tell me if you wamt to work with ME. Because frankly, your offering for almost anyone. Do you want a million messages from copies of barbies? And having to give out full blown explanations to you every time, to find out they dont fit the part?   I can understand an interview process, but your portfolio is like your resume as it is.... What more do you need?   You need or want more? Ask, we will oblige, either way, before or after, so whats the problem? Atleast they said they were interested and didnt just say, "cool".  Or "great idea... Hope you find your casting... P.S im currently looking for work!!"   That is already apparent, as youve said.


My $0.02

Oct 14 12 08:34 pm Link

Model

Ivanafox

Posts: 979

Healesville, Victoria, Australia

two purposes for writing "interested" on your casting.
1st one is that everyone can see the model is actively looking for shoots, if the model doesn't get to do the shoot being casted for they have put it out there that they are keen to do ashoot and a shoot of that style. Any smart photographer will be checking out model casting calls to and when they see a model post "interested"  hey presto! Just found a shortcut method to find active models in their area that are interested in a xx styled shoot for xx compensation.
So model who posted "interested" may miss out on that particular casting but pick up a shoot with an intrepid photographer instead.

2nd is the model doesn't how how many trillion applicants you have, and doesn't want to waste their or your time with a long message waffling on about themself or asking dumb questions about the shoot that should be covered if they get on the shortlist.  One thing you learn as you go through life is the validity of the saying "it's better to say nothing and have people think your stupid than to speak up and prove it". One also assumes the casting person would look at the folios of interested people to make a shortlist and discuss details from there.

Oct 15 12 01:34 am Link

Model

V Laroche

Posts: 2746

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

Autonomy II wrote:
And it's a holiday in Cambodia
Where you'll do what you're told
A holiday in Cambodia
Where the slum's got so much soul
Pol Pot

Please sir may I have some fresh fruit for rotting vegetables?

Oct 15 12 01:35 am Link

Photographer

Garry k

Posts: 27188

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Waaah !

Oct 15 12 01:38 am Link

Photographer

Drew Smith Photography

Posts: 5210

Nottingham, England, United Kingdom

I put a casting call out a couple of months ago. Giving all the relevant details and at the end specifically asked models to not simply respond with 'Interested' in the comments box but instead send me a MM PM and give me some background re: the shoot details.

I got 11 responses in my PM inbox and 3 in the comment box and all 3 said 'Interested'. smile

Such is life. I think if you want the gig then you have to do something that separates you from everybody else - photographer, MUA or model. And just being 'interested' in my book gets you deleted.

Oct 15 12 01:57 am Link

Filmmaker

VISIONWORKS PRODUCTIONS

Posts: 115

Miami, Florida, US

I agree with this 100%, at the same time when I post a casting I also put VERY SPECIFIC instructions of what the model should do if he/she wants to be considered for the part(replying with a personal message, put contact info and so on) so if they respond "interested" its really as if nothing happened, they just dont count. Fortunately I always get enough responses of intelligent people who follow instructions well, I dont get that many "interested' to be honest

Oct 15 12 09:13 am Link

Photographer

Abbitt Photography

Posts: 11721

Oakland Acres, Iowa, US

Michael Pandolfo wrote:
If they're not responding properly, maybe you should be asking those questions and make it clear that only those responding to the questions will be considered.

+1

I usually state for interested parties to contact me direclty - then it's clear, that simply stating "interested" is not a response that will result in any continued communication.

Oct 15 12 09:23 am Link

Photographer

Eridu

Posts: 623

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Sometimes, it's the Photographer who says no:

[File under Escort No-No]

I am very sorry for your past experiences and it is indeed a shame that some idiots ruin it for the rest of us. I have only been back on MM a short time because , like you, I am a recent college grad (allbeit at 47). I completed three college degrees in slightly under three calender years and, like the photography, made many personal, emotional and financial sacrifices inorder to do so.

This time around where the photography is concerned, I made a decision to have a specific set of guildlines I would follow when doing this portfolio development and especially via MM. Chief among these policies is not dealing with models who insisted on escorts. I am not accusing you of anything but, my past experiences were sufficiently horrible to warrant this policy.

Oct 15 12 09:24 am Link

Photographer

Solas

Posts: 9537

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Interested!

wink

Oct 15 12 09:57 am Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Posts: 21638

Portland, Oregon, US

channing L M Photo wrote:
I bring this topic up because the "interested" response is a unanimous thing on model mayhem, and the only way anything gets changed is by speaking up.

model mayhem is a very innovative way of operating in this industry. The site literally provides people who would otherwise have a hard time getting any work in this industry a place to learn and thrive.

I don't think it's very productive to tell me i'm wasting my time, as you're sitting and replying to my post....there by also wasting your own time if that be the way to look at it.

That being said, it isn't wasting my time. i'm just one person who likes model mayhem and would like to see improvements in the site, the people that use the site and the ultimate values of the site regarding professionalism

Good luck with that.

So, it's okay for you to rail against models who only reply "Interested", but it's not okay for me to be skeptical about your ability to change that?  I don't get the distinction.

I'm just saying that if your casting call is anything like the OP novella, I can understand you getting brief responses -- it balances out. 

Or, you can choose to accept that an "Interested" response is an invitation to start a dialog.  There's nothing wrong with that, is there?

Oct 15 12 10:42 am Link

Photographer

Woven Thought

Posts: 329

Petersburg, Virginia, US

SweetGirlyGirl wrote:
I do this.
And the reason is, so you know I'm first, interested.
But, that way you can look thru my port and see if you really want me for that project.
If not, you don't have to contact me.
I thought that was a nice way of doing it.
I will def be changing the way I respond to castings now, so they know I'm serious.

That's why there's some merit to this thread.  I agree that I wouldn't get too lengthy in an initial contact, but one sentence isn't enough for me to take a model seriously.  I've had similar experiences.  So far, the ones who have disappeared only answered in one vague sentence, so that puts the yellow flags up for me.

Oct 15 12 10:58 am Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

Posts: 1544

King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, US

Who said it?  "If you think you can do it then you can.  If you think you can't do it then you can't."  If you don't try to change the world, then you can't change the world.  For those of you who think that this thread should have never been posted to begin with.

I remember those days when I had to look for a job.  The days before te last twenty some years of being self employed.  I filled out applications;  put together resume's;  wrote cover letters;  followed up with phone calls. I went to businesses and marketed myself.  You know what I got?  Job offers!   And the experience to find clients who already had someone providing the services I provide once I went into business.  I developed the ability to separate myself from the pack when I had a potential client call me out of the phone book.  And I developed a healthy disdain for people who wanted the job and didn't want to put out the effort to get the job.  Why?  If they didn't want to work to get the job, I couldn't believe they would work when they got the job.

I had some dude call me last year, probably when his two years of unemployment ran out.  He wanted my email address to send me a resume.  He didn't introduce himself.  He didn't care to whom he was speaking.  I suggested that he use the address provided in the phone book or on the internet and mail me a resume.  He said, "I don't do that."   Yeah, I am going to hire that guy!  He made me think he would take the extra step to get the job done right. 

The reason I use casting calls is: I hope that someone that answers, is interested in the work.  Where, if I cold call on the model, maybe he/she is interested, maybe she/he isn't.  Since no response is the most common response, cold calling doesn't seem efficient.

Saying "interested" in response to a casting call gets me to look at your resume, ie.: portfolio.   But more often than not, when I respond, and I respond to everyone, no response is still the most likely response I get from someone who is "interested".  Figure that.  Some one who responds in whole sentences, has taken the time to write, and has made an effort to market themselves, shows me they ARE interested.   Not just saying it.

It doesn't matter to me if you think responding as "interested" is appropriate or not.  People have expressed opinions in support of each side.  Feel free to hire whoever you wish.  Feel free to market yourself however you wish.  Nobody is going to change the world or model mayhem as a whole.  But maybe, one model out there is going to get better jobs because of this string.

Oct 15 12 11:58 am Link

Makeup Artist

Elizabethmakeup

Posts: 338

Hereford, England, United Kingdom

I agree with the OP.

I have posted casting calls before and every single person who has replied 'interested' has been excluded straight away. To me, it shows basic laziness and when *I* apply to calls, I message and say a bit about myself and what I feel that I can bring to the shoot. It's as if they expect to get the job with the minimum amount of work possible, which shows a bad work ethic.

Oct 15 12 12:01 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Travis Chau

Posts: 1

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

Models please start saying committed instead of interested in a casting call.

Interested to me like yeah...if I can remember, the weather is good, like the photographer and the thousand outside factors that influence the interested models. There are thousand of models and how many can make it big in the industry?

Committed on the other hand is that. Rain, hail or shine you're in. If you read the biography of top models they are committed people. If you look at any great achievements in life you've often found that they committed 100% to what they do.

Oct 15 12 12:22 pm Link

Photographer

Image Magik

Posts: 1068

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

Sometimes they are interested...

Oct 15 12 12:26 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Scanlon

Posts: 790

Encino, California, US

There is locally this one model who would give you an "Interested" to a casting asking her to roll around nude on a pile of broken glass and razor blades!!

Oct 15 12 12:55 pm Link

Photographer

Eridu

Posts: 623

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Image Magik wrote:
Sometimes they are interested...

Sometimes they come back!

Oct 15 12 01:30 pm Link

Model

Ivanafox

Posts: 979

Healesville, Victoria, Australia

Personally I think photographers on here simply expect too much. I rarely qualify for any casting call because photographers generally want skittish Thoroughbreds over a reliable work horse (then complain publicly when the thoroughbred throws them) and on top of that they want the model to work TF and supply the styling (ok i know there's a few that do commercial shoots for clients but the bulk of MM people are just folio building). The few calls i do qualify for I will usually send a brief message and a public "interested" or "message sent" so the whole world knows I'm actively looking for shoots. Given that I have had someone get back to me something like twice, in 7 years my confidence and optimism of getting to do that TF shoot is very low, so I keep it brief. Like I've said above theres no point in writing a 10 page essay if I don't even have the right look at step one. Generally I don't even bother responding to casting calls if they are offering pay or have more than 3 responses because despite my efforts to be everything photographers want in a model I don't have the essential "look' they want. It seems I'm the "last resort" model that gets ditched at the last second when something better comes along.

So yeah, if you insist on only working with the diamonds you're going to expect to dig through tons of dirt. That's life, get over it.

Also, it seems really stupid to me to assume to know a persons entire personality from a single action.

Oct 15 12 01:45 pm Link

Photographer

Woven Thought

Posts: 329

Petersburg, Virginia, US

Ivanafox wrote:
Also, it seems really stupid to me to assume to know a persons entire personality from a single action.

I don't assume, but so far it's held true.  A vague one sentence reply has equaled no more correspondence, or suddenly stopped correspondence.  I'll keep replying, but I won't use as much energy for those.

Oct 15 12 02:43 pm Link

Photographer

Rob Photosby

Posts: 2970

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

SweetGirlyGirl wrote:
I do this.
And the reason is, so you know I'm first, interested.
But, that way you can look thru my port and see if you really want me for that project.
If not, you don't have to contact me.
I thought that was a nice way of doing it.
I will def be changing the way I respond to castings now, so they know I'm serious.

Woven Thought wrote:
That's why there's some merit to this thread.  I agree that I wouldn't get too lengthy in an initial contact, but one sentence isn't enough for me to take a model seriously.  I've had similar experiences.  So far, the ones who have disappeared only answered in one vague sentence, so that puts the yellow flags up for me.

+1   There are far too many models who use "interested" as a substitute for reading the text of the casting call and those who respond with a sentence of generalities/banalities are not much different

Oct 15 12 04:10 pm Link

Photographer

Rob Photosby

Posts: 2970

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Ivanafox wrote:
Personally I think photographers on here simply expect too much. I rarely qualify for any casting call because photographers generally want skittish Thoroughbreds over a reliable work horse (then complain publicly when the thoroughbred throws them) and on top of that they want the model to work TF and supply the styling (ok i know there's a few that do commercial shoots for clients but the bulk of MM people are just folio building). The few calls i do qualify for I will usually send a brief message and a public "interested" or "message sent" so the whole world knows I'm actively looking for shoots. Given that I have had someone get back to me something like twice, in 7 years my confidence and optimism of getting to do that TF shoot is very low, so I keep it brief. Like I've said above theres no point in writing a 10 page essay if I don't even have the right look at step one. Generally I don't even bother responding to casting calls if they are offering pay or have more than 3 responses because despite my efforts to be everything photographers want in a model I don't have the essential "look' they want. It seems I'm the "last resort" model that gets ditched at the last second when something better comes along.

So yeah, if you insist on only working with the diamonds you're going to expect to dig through tons of dirt. That's life, get over it.

Also, it seems really stupid to me to assume to know a persons entire personality from a single action.

I sympathise with your experience because I can understand that it is equally frustrating on the other side of the lens if the average photographer is anywhere near as fickle as the average model.

However, for what it is worth, I spent last night prioritising the sixteen models who applied for a casting call  (it was not on MM - MM's response rate is routinely poor).  I consider looks, experience, evidence of posing ability, attitude, etc, but the thing that got Model X into pole position was none of those - it was the fact that she actually responded to the questions asked in the casting call.  All the others either ignored the questions or gave incomplete answers and several of them have far superior looks to Model X.

Oct 15 12 04:22 pm Link

Model

Danielle Reid

Posts: 4375

Little Rock, Arkansas, US

Okay I'm confused. What exactly am I suppose to say? I say "Hey I'm interested in working with you. Could you give me more details on what exactly it is you want? Contact me if you're interested or want to know more" or something along those lines. There's only so much I can think of to say to a photographer. And no, I'm not stupid or uncreative. I just really don't talk much at all unless I really need to.

So saying "I'm interested" is a bad thing?

Oct 15 12 04:24 pm Link

Photographer

Rob Photosby

Posts: 2970

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Hunter Wald wrote:
I respond, and I respond to everyone, no response is still the most likely response I get from someone who is "interested".  Figure that.

You are not alone in that in getting that lack of response.

Other websites actually provide response rates for their participants.  It is one of the many things that MM could do to improve its operation.

Oct 15 12 04:30 pm Link

Photographer

Rob Photosby

Posts: 2970

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Danielle Kitten wrote:
Okay I'm confused. What exactly am I suppose to say? I say "Hey I'm interested in working with you. Could you give me more details on what exactly it is you want? Contact me if you're interested or want to know more" or something along those lines. There's only so much I can think of to say to a photographer. And no, I'm not stupid or uncreative. I just really don't talk much at all unless I really need to.

So saying "I'm interested" is a bad thing?

It will depend on what is in the casting call, but you could consider elaborating on your availability, your wardrobe (if one is required), your skill with make-up and hair, prior experience with a similar project, whether or not you feel the need for an escort (saying you don't will be a plus), etc.

Oct 15 12 04:33 pm Link

Model

Danielle Reid

Posts: 4375

Little Rock, Arkansas, US

I thought the Message Field on casting calls was a way to contact a photographer. None of the ones I read said anything about email or PMs. Can't get made at a person for not following directions when directions aren't even there.

Oct 15 12 04:35 pm Link

Model

Danielle Reid

Posts: 4375

Little Rock, Arkansas, US

natural beauties of qld wrote:

It will depend on what is in the casting call, but you could consider elaborating on your availability, your wardrobe (if one is required), your skill with make-up and hair, prior experience with a similar project, whether or not you feel the need for an escort (saying you don't will be a plus), etc.

Oh geez, I suck at makeup and hair unless it's just a flat iron and a stick of eyeliner. But I get what you're saying. Guess I need to rethink this entire thing

Oct 15 12 04:38 pm Link

Photographer

BlueMoonPics

Posts: 4425

New York, New York, US

Autonomy II wrote:
It's a holiday in Cambodia
It's tough kid, but it's life
It's a holiday in Cambodia
Don't foget to pack a wife

Love this by the Dead Kennedy's.

BTW, not interested. big_smile

Oct 15 12 04:40 pm Link

Photographer

Darren Brade

Posts: 2827

London, England, United Kingdom

Danielle Kitten wrote:
Okay I'm confused. What exactly am I suppose to say? I say "Hey I'm interested in working with you. Could you give me more details on what exactly it is you want? Contact me if you're interested or want to know more" or something along those lines. There's only so much I can think of to say to a photographer. And no, I'm not stupid or uncreative. I just really don't talk much at all unless I really need to.

So saying "I'm interested" is a bad thing?

I disagree with Natural's response, in the context of this thread you are doing more than what the models are doing with the op. This thread is more about the ONE WORD responses, you are a really opening a dialogue with what you are saying so don't worry about it.

Oct 15 12 04:44 pm Link

Model

Danielle Reid

Posts: 4375

Little Rock, Arkansas, US

Darren Brade wrote:

I disagree with Natural's response, in the context of this thread you are doing more than what the models are doing with the op. This thread is more about the ONE WORD responses, you are a really opening a dialogue with what you are saying so don't worry about it.

Alright thanks. Because I really thought I had to start copying and pasting my life's story on people's casting calls just to get an eyebrow raise.

And I really hate that question "Why should I hire you?" or "What sets you apart from other models?" Well sir I'm not sure, maybe it's the fact that I look like an upside down chocolate covered strawberry! (Just kidding)

Oct 15 12 04:48 pm Link

Photographer

Drew T

Posts: 139

London, England, United Kingdom

Danielle Kitten wrote:
"What sets you apart from other models?" Well sir I'm not sure, maybe it's the fact that I look like an upside down chocolate covered strawberry! (Just kidding)

smile

Oct 15 12 04:53 pm Link