Forums > Model Colloquy > To models with tattooes

Photographer

IMAGINERIES

New York, New York, US

Are you always satified with your tattoo(es)?
I have shot  a few models with tattooes and some are gorgeous and
some......How do you know how to find a true artist that can create
a beautiful, unique piece of art, and not a pre-design stencil pattern
you can Google any time?
Just curious...

Oct 14 12 10:11 am Link

Photographer

M Pandolfo Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

It's a lot like drugs. If you do them you know exactly where to go to get the best. smile

Oct 14 12 10:21 am Link

Model

Genevieve Devine

Saint Paul, Minnesota, US

Well, I work in a parlor and plan on going to art school. Tattooing is a passion of mine. Take a look at an artist's portfolio, always set up a consultation first (beware of artists who want to jump into tattooing a original piece on you), and shop around in general to find someone who really seems to have a lot of talent smile

xoxo

Oct 14 12 10:22 am Link

Photographer

IMAGINERIES

New York, New York, US

Suppose you get a tattoo you are ok with.... Then you find a great tattoo artist
that make the first drawing look, kind of mediocre... Then what?

Oct 14 12 10:43 am Link

Model

orias

Tampa, Florida, US

everyones entitles to get crap tattoos if they want, models are not excluded and often fall prey to that same problem as everyone else.

the difference is it greatly hurts their career but they lose the ability to bitch about that since it was a decision they made knowing the industry ramifications of it.

Oct 14 12 10:43 am Link

Photographer

Image Magik

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

As a photographer speaking about Tattoos. I have seen very few tattoos that enhance a models appearance and most of them detract. Models unless you want to be an ink model be careful what you get.

Oct 14 12 10:49 am Link

Photographer

Red Sky Photography

Germantown, Maryland, US

As a photographer speaking about tattoos. I've seen very few I wouldn't want to shoot. And shot some awesome ladies with fabulous tattoos.

Everyone who is thinking about getting a tattoo, should think long and hard about what design they want, what artist will do the work, and how will having tattoos affect the rest of their life.

Oct 14 12 11:17 am Link

Model

P I X I E

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

That's why you should look at the artist's portfolio before booking any ink work.

The only tattoo I'm not satisfied with was done by a so-called 'pro' who claims he'd been tattooing for 7-8 years. But that was my mistake - he was a 'friend' so I trusted him. Never again.

Thankfully, my current tattoo artist fixed it for free (it's such a small piece anyway). Now she is one hell of an amazing artist... I give her a rough idea of what I want and she comes up with a design that's unique and beyond my expectations. I want to get as much ink done by her as possible because she's super talented and I would say even better than artists who've been at it for 5+ years. She's been officially tattooing for less than 2 years. I now entirely trust her because with time, I've gotten to know her. I would say that trusting your artist is very important.

My parents, who are anything but tattoo fans, found that the two tattoos she did were gorgeous. That just goes to prove how good she is. smile

My 18-year-old cousin is thinking about getting a tattoo, and I've been giving him lots of advice.

Oct 14 12 11:42 am Link

guide forum

Model

Koryn

Boston, Massachusetts, US

IMAGINERIES wrote:
How do you know how to find a true artist that can create
you can Google any time?
Just curious...

I didn't schedule a tattoo appointment thinking, "I want a tattoo."

I scheduled the tattoo appointments thinking, "This thing, that has been under my skin for years, I'm ready to bring it to the surface."

I would never let a tattoo artist "design" a tattoo for me. I knew exactly what I wanted in advance. The large tattoo on my right arm was a drawing I did, sitting at my kitchen table in 2004.

Oct 14 12 04:49 pm Link

Photographer

AJ_In_Atlanta

Atlanta, Georgia, US

No idea why you are only asking models.  Anyhow I research, look at their work, check references, have a preshoot err... pretatoo meeting.

It's no different then how a model should look for a photographer before they hire one.
It's no different then how anyone finds a contractor to work on their house.
It's no different then how a parent looks for a baby sitter.

Shopping important purchases is sort of a basic life skill and not really tattoo specific.

Oct 14 12 05:02 pm Link

Photographer

picayou

Murfreesboro, Tennessee, US

Image Magik wrote:
As a photographer speaking about Tattoos. I have seen very few tattoos that enhance a models appearance and most of them detract. Models unless you want to be an ink model be careful what you get.

I am the same way but then you see a perfect canvas..
http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pi … 5#23831355

Oct 14 12 05:19 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

IMAGINERIES wrote:
Suppose you get a tattoo you are ok with.... Then you find a great tattoo artist

Discuss that you don't like the first drawing and what to change!

Oct 14 12 05:29 pm Link

Model

Fae Evilyn

Birmingham, England, United Kingdom

My first tattoo was/is awful, luckily enough I have found another tattooist who will redo it
However I do not regret any of my tattoos as they all mean something to me, and most can be hidden away
It's down to personal choice but my advice is always shop around, look at tattooist portfolios before booking them
Fae

Oct 14 12 05:35 pm Link

Model

Eowyn-Rose

Seattle, Washington, US

I've only used one studio except the ink I got in Finland. I had seen more of their work on my mother and also went to the studio more than once to see concept pieces at work.

There are also tattoo conventions just like any other where you can witness them practicing their art and also look through their portfolio just like any other artist would provide. I have yet to be satisfied with the artistic imagery of another tattoo artist and thus haven't used any other studios.

As for being happy with the art- I think for more than several months prior to deciding on the ink. I was even able to give one a test run with sharpie for a few months. All of mine are of spiritual significance or markers of important moments in my journey through life. Even if I have a change of heart, they will always be a reminder of where I come from and how I felt at the time.

As far as "hurting my career", I assume that if a photographer doesn't like my ink, then they simply won't hire me. There are plenty of other fish in the sea for them to choose from and so far it hasn't really been an issue with bookings. I still get plenty of work as the photographers who hire me know what I have in advance, and if it's a problem the ink can be concealed with positions of the body, makeup, or as a last result taken out in editing. To each their own.

Oct 14 12 05:50 pm Link

Model

Isis22

Muncie, Indiana, US

IMAGINERIES wrote:

laser removal if you already had the tattoo done?

Oct 14 12 07:48 pm Link

Model

Brenda Lee

Ville Platte, Louisiana, US

Laser tattoo removal only works on black and some blue inks. I tried getting one removed for free once through a "friend". I had two sessions done and it only took the outline off which in turn made my tat look worse. Not only that, I had an allergic reaction to the numbing stuff and imo it the removal  hurt worse than getting the tat itself.

Oct 14 12 07:54 pm Link

Model

Brenda Lee

Ville Platte, Louisiana, US

Fae Evilyn wrote:
However I do not regret any of my tattoos as they all mean something to me 

Fae

Well said! I feel exactly the same with my tattoos and always will. I don't have any issues with anyone that doesn't want to shoot with me because of my ink-  to each their own but  then again I just do this for fun. Life's too short to get my panties in a wad over something like that.

Oct 14 12 07:58 pm Link

Model

-Ekaterine-

Gainesville, Georgia, US

I have one in my left arm. There have been people who had bad opinions of it, but fuck it. It's what I want

Oct 14 12 08:01 pm Link

Model

Scarlett de la Calle

Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia

IMAGINERIES wrote:

Thats why you always go to the tattoo artist with the idea and inspiration images. If they can't draw what you want on paper go elsewhere they wont do any better on your body!

Oct 14 12 08:02 pm Link

Photographer

GER Photography

Imperial, California, US

I would never get a tattoo for religious reasons, but if the tattoo "artist" can't draw exactly what you want freehand while you watch, then they aren't an artist as far as I'm concerned. If you can't put it down on paper you sure as fuck shouldn't be allowed to do it on someone's skin!!

Oct 14 12 08:15 pm Link

Model

P I X I E

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

George Ruge wrote:
I would never get a tattoo for religious reasons, but if the tattoo "artist" can't draw exactly what you want freehand while you watch, then they aren't an artist as far as I'm concerned. If you can't put it down on paper you sure as fuck shouldn't be allowed to do it on someone's skin!!

The tattoo artists I know draw on paper before inking...

Oct 15 12 10:32 am Link

Model

DivaEroticus

Fayetteville, Arkansas, US

I was very satisfied with mine when I got it...in 1981.  Now, after more than 30 years, having a baby, and at one time being 255 pounds, he's looking a tad tired and faded and misshapen.

Oct 15 12 10:40 am Link

Photographer

IMAGINERIES

New York, New York, US

Yes, I think it is a great advice to have the tattoo artist sketch the design on paper in front of you. This is the only way to see if you are dealing with a true
artist and not some copy cat type tattooist

Oct 15 12 04:36 pm Link

Model

Nicolette

Midland, Texas, US

IMAGINERIES wrote:
you can Google any time?
Just curious...

I love my tattoos.

I found my current artist by hunting through many others. A piercer I know recommended Dallas [my current tattoo artist] to me. We met, discussed ideas, I looked through his portfolio, was stunned and picked him.
We have a great working relationship and just finished up the shading on my thigh tattoo [which I'd be happy to post pics of if anyone wants to see it].

Oct 15 12 04:55 pm Link

Model

Nicolette

Midland, Texas, US

Michael Pandolfo wrote:
It's a lot like drugs. If you do them you know exactly where to go to get the best. smile

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mbcypqw8541qad2ozo10_250.gif

Oct 15 12 04:56 pm Link

Model

Nicolette

Midland, Texas, US

P I X I E wrote:
I now entirely trust her because with time, I've gotten to know her. I would say that trusting your artist is very important.

This.
My artist and I are friends now. I'll randomly drop in to say hi and just hang out. He knows if he needs something he can call me.

I trust him. He trusts me. That's important.

Oct 15 12 04:59 pm Link

Body Painter

Airballin

Oakland, California, US

Coming from an ex tattoo artist who stopped tattooing to do what I currently do now.
I have never in my life seen a single tattoo or piece that has enhanced a person's beauty. But I have seen over a baziilion that detract from a person's beauty. The chances of getting a bad tattoo so much out weighs the chances of you getting a good tattoo. I'd tell any bare skinned model it's not worth the risk.

Something I've learned as a tattoo artist. People have these deep emotional connections to these miscellaneous pieces of art, they can't make rational decisions about them because they are too emotionally attached to them. It's like being in an abusive relationship, as long as you love the abuser, no matter how bad he/she is for you to or to you. You will keep defending them even when you know its bad for you. lol

Oct 15 12 05:11 pm Link

Model

Laura UnBound

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

While my tattoo is incredibly simple and I showed up with the design I wanted already drawn and just needing it transferred to my body, the parlor (home to 3-5 tattoo artists and piercers) had binders upon binders set ut on the tables of all their work. Obviously, I could trust them not to botch my tattoo, they'd done thousands before me and I could thumb through pages and pages of examples and decide if I was satisfied with their amount of skill.

I wouldn't go to someone who couldn't show me previous examples. Whether or not they can personally draw, I don't care as much about. Tattooing is about tracing an outline and then coloring it in. If they can trace and shade well, that's fine, if they can work their gun and are certified and their shop passes inspections and they come recommended and have an obvious understanding of the techniques needed for good tattooing, I don't care if they can't free-hand a half Chinese dragon half unicorn standing on its head with mordor as the background. I'll get someone else to draw it, I just need them to transfer it onto my body.

I can't free-hand much to save my life, but if someone brings me a picture and says "draw this on me" I can trace and color it just fine.

Oct 15 12 05:38 pm Link

Photographer

IMAGINERIES

New York, New York, US

"Coming from an ex tattoo artist who stopped tattooing to do what I currently do now.
I have never in my life seen a single tattoo or piece that has enhanced a person's beauty. But I have seen over a baziilion that detract from a person's beauty. The chances of getting a bad tattoo so much out weighs the chances of you getting a good tattoo. I'd tell any bare skinned model it's not worth the risk.

Something I've learned as a tattoo artist. People have these deep emotional connections to these miscellaneous pieces of art, they can't make rational decisions about them because they are too emotionally attached to them. It's like being in an abusive relationship, as long as you love the abuser, no matter how bad he/she is for you to or to you. You will keep defending them even when you know its bad for you. lol"

Most interesting comment that makes one wonder

Oct 15 12 06:20 pm Link

Photographer

GER Photography

Imperial, California, US

P I X I E wrote:

The tattoo artists I know draw on paper before inking...

I've seen some, where all they could do was trace over the flash in books! And one of my model friends had two little tats "fixed" by some schmuck by covering them with the most gawdawful garbage "flames" I told her to NEVER tell me who did it or introduce me to him or he would be in danger of having his hands smashed into pulp so he couldn't do it to someone else!! There are some amazing tattoo artists out there Kat Von D is artistic on another level of being, but there are some worthless morons out there calling themselves "artists" too.

Oct 15 12 06:53 pm Link

Model

Lorayne York

Colorado Springs, Colorado, US

i've been to 3 different tattoo artists. in 3 different cities. by far, my favorite and most current tattoo artist will be doing the rest of the work i want.

I chose him because i saw his work on one of my friends and i loved how it looked. so i emailed him a general idea of what i wanted and he made it happen. he drew a general outline of what i wanted then tattooed my skin free hand. no paper involved.

and i love all my tattoos... i keep most of them hidden from public view because i didnt get them for anyone else but me.

Oct 15 12 07:24 pm Link

Model

Amelia Talon

Los Angeles, California, US

ShivaKitty wrote:

I didn't schedule a tattoo appointment thinking, "I want a tattoo."

I scheduled the tattoo appointments thinking, "This thing, that has been under my skin for years, I'm ready to bring it to the surface."

Beautifully worded.

Oct 15 12 07:59 pm Link

Model

Zerotia

South Plainfield, New Jersey, US

AJScalzitti wrote:
No idea why you are only asking models.  Anyhow I research, look at their work, check references, have a preshoot err... pretatoo meeting.

It's no different then how a model should look for a photographer before they hire one.

Shopping important purchases is sort of a basic life skill and not really tattoo specific.

amen.

Oct 15 12 08:10 pm Link

Photographer

IMAGINERIES

New York, New York, US

AJScalzitti wrote:

Am I retarded..I thought I tattoo was kind of permanent..Unlike a photograph,
a baby sitter or a fire place....

Oct 15 12 09:11 pm Link

Model

Amelia Talon

Los Angeles, California, US

IMAGINERIES wrote:

Am I retarded..I thought I tattoo was kind of permanent..Unlike a photograph,
a baby sitter or a fire place....

There's no magic answer. You shop around for a tattoo like you would anything else. Some purchases are regretful, others are spectacular, it's all the same no matter what it is you bought.

Oct 15 12 10:18 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Airballin wrote:
Coming from an ex tattoo artist who stopped tattooing to do what I currently do now.

Something I've learned as a tattoo artist. People have these deep emotional connections to these miscellaneous pieces of art, they can't make rational decisions about them because they are too emotionally attached to them. It's like being in an abusive relationship, as long as you love the abuser, no matter how bad he/she is for you to or to you. You will keep defending them even when you know its bad for you. lol

I don't know... you sound like some ex-whoremonger who is now a born again Christian, found Jesus and talks down on his former life with religious zest.

Who are you to tell me that I can't explain why I have the tattoos that I have, what it symbolizes to me, the research I did and then telling me that I am emotionally too attached to make a rational decision.

I don't know in what kind of scene you've been tattooing, but, c'mon... it almost sounds like you have no clue about the body mod scene!

Oct 16 12 03:55 pm Link

Model

P I X I E

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Airballin wrote:

neutral

I'm glad you're not tattooing anymore. It's for everyone's good!

Oct 16 12 04:12 pm Link

Model

P I X I E

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

udor wrote:

I don't know... you sound like some ex-whoremonger who is now a born again Christian, found Jesus and talks down on his former life with religious zest.

Who are you to tell me that I can't explain why I have the tattoos that I have, what it symbolizes to me, the research I did and then telling me that I am emotionally too attached to make a rational decision.

I don't know in what kind of scene you've been tattooing, but, c'mon... it almost sounds like you have no clue about the body mod scene!

I'm glad s/he doesn't tattoo anymore. I hate those arrogant tattoo artists who think they're better than everyone else.

Oct 16 12 04:18 pm Link

Photographer

Dannielle Levan

New Westminster, British Columbia, Canada

IMAGINERIES wrote:
you can Google any time?
Just curious...

Most people never regret getting a tattoo, they actually regret what they got and where.

Oct 16 12 04:20 pm Link

Model

Nicolette

Midland, Texas, US

P I X I E wrote:

I'm glad s/he doesn't tattoo anymore. I hate those arrogant tattoo artists who think they're better than everyone else.

I know right? hmm

Oct 16 12 04:39 pm Link