Forums > General Industry > Unprofessional Photographer

Model

JennyFromTheBlock1

Posts: 25

Kansas City, Missouri, US

I would like to know what is considered unprofessional from a photographer. What is considered too much and what questions are normal as far as pin up.... implied nude... etc.


Please Advise

Jennifer

Oct 14 12 01:26 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Farrell

Posts: 13140

Nashville, Tennessee, US

What do you think? This is too broad of a question.

Oct 14 12 01:27 pm Link

Photographer

R Michael Walker

Posts: 11986

Costa Mesa, California, US

http://www.modelmayhem.com/help Check there for suggestions.

Oct 14 12 01:33 pm Link

Model

MelissaAnn

Posts: 3956

Seattle, Washington, US

Jay Farrell wrote:
What do you think? This is too broad of a question.

+1.  You'll have to specifiy what you thought may have been inappropriate.

Oct 14 12 01:35 pm Link

Photographer

Robert Jewett

Posts: 2460

al-Marsā, Tunis, Tunisia

Given the list of genre's you say you will shoot, I'd expect a lot of questions along those lines.

Oct 14 12 01:36 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Farrell

Posts: 13140

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Let's start here....was what he was asking in some way relevant to the shoot?

Oct 14 12 01:43 pm Link

Photographer

terrysphotocountry

Posts: 4146

Rochester, New York, US

JennyFromTheBlock1 wrote:
I would like to know what is considered unprofessional from a photographer. What is considered too much and what questions are normal as far as pin up.... implied nude... etc.


Please Advise

Jennifer

You need to explain the so called unprofessional situation.

Oct 14 12 01:50 pm Link

Photographer

Rob Photosby

Posts: 2976

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Perhaps photographers might be confused about how the "art", "fetish", and "erotic" genres that you list on your profile might mesh with your "no nudes".

Oct 14 12 08:26 pm Link

Photographer

Bill Sylvester

Posts: 1463

Cincinnati, Ohio, US

natural beauties of qld wrote:
Perhaps photographers might be confused about how the "art", "fetish", and "erotic" genres that you list on your profile might mesh with your "no nudes".

Yes, trying to sort that would require a bunch of questions to determine your interests.

From your vague question, I would draw the line of unprofessionalism to be where the questions stray from directly relating to the shoot and the production of photographs.

Oct 14 12 09:32 pm Link

Photographer

Paolo Diavolo

Posts: 8792

Martinez, California, US

Bill Sylvester wrote:
I would draw the line of unprofessionalism to be where the questions stray from directly relating to the shoot and the production of photographs.

this.

/thread.


now update your genres that you shoot, because otherwise youre acting like an unprofessional model; entering inaccurate information in search fields.


natural beauties of qld wrote:
Perhaps photographers might be confused about how the "art", "fetish", and "erotic" genres that you list on your profile might mesh with your "no nudes".

Oct 15 12 02:46 am Link

Photographer

Farenell Photography

Posts: 18128

Albany, New York, US

Bill Sylvester wrote:
From your vague question, I would draw the line of unprofessionalism to be where the questions stray from directly relating to the shoot and the production of photographs.

I guess by that definition I'm an "unprofessional" & proud of it.

I like to know about where my models have been, how they got to where they are, what caused them to get into this crazy business, do they have any outside aspirations, how they met their spouses, where they went to school & what they majored in, what they like to do in the rare moments they have free time, among MANY other things.

I'd LIKE to think it makes me care about them as a human being instead of a breathing mannequin. smile

Oct 15 12 06:32 am Link

Photographer

Kev Lawson

Posts: 7841

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Farenell Photography wrote:
I guess by that definition I'm an "unprofessional" & proud of it.

I like to know about where my models have been, how they got to where they are, what caused them to get into this crazy business, do they have any outside aspirations, how they met their spouses, where they went to school & what they majored in, what they like to do in the rare moments they have free time, among MANY other things.

I'd LIKE to think it makes me care about them as a human being instead of a breathing mannequin. smile

Sort of matches my style when shooting. Silence makes a model uncomfortable most of the time if it is just the photog and model on set/location. General talk topics are fine. Asking sexual questions etc is not.

I for one will talk with the models I shoot, regardless if they are experienced models or brand new to modeling. If they are not talkative, then music on and keep shooting.

Oct 15 12 06:46 am Link

Photographer

Tony KnightHawk Studios

Posts: 1900

Fort Myers Beach, Florida, US

It's Relative.
For example If I were to ask you
"Are you a Drama Queen?"
Is it unprofessional? absolutely.
Is it inappropriate? Given the OP's question for this case I would say not

Oct 15 12 06:52 am Link

Photographer

Eridu

Posts: 623

Boston, Massachusetts, US

natural beauties of qld wrote:
Perhaps photographers might be confused about how the "art", "fetish", and "erotic" genres that you list on your profile might mesh with your "no nudes".

LMFAO!

Oct 15 12 06:54 am Link

Photographer

Jeffrey M Fletcher

Posts: 4344

Asheville, North Carolina, US

Let's see, you list art, erotic and fetish as genres you will work in. In your profile you make a point that in your modelling you don't operate according to "the worlds standards" but try to "find the inner reason", all of which sounds rather self directed or even free spirited.

And the topic seems to be a question of what would constitute a "professional " approach regarding pin-up and "implied" to someone presenting themselves in the above way.

I can think of nearly infinite ways in which people can be unprofessional. As others have mentioned, the rather sparse description doesn't allow for a meaningful answer. I'm guessing (blindly) that someone may have had an idea different than your own for the content of a shoot.

Oct 15 12 07:02 am Link

Photographer

Jeffrey M Fletcher

Posts: 4344

Asheville, North Carolina, US

Farenell Photography wrote:

I guess by that definition I'm an "unprofessional" & proud of it.

I like to know about where my models have been, how they got to where they are, what caused them to get into this crazy business, do they have any outside aspirations, how they met their spouses, where they went to school & what they majored in, what they like to do in the rare moments they have free time, among MANY other things.

I'd LIKE to think it makes me care about them as a human being instead of a breathing mannequin. smile

+1
It's proved to be very useful information and has supplied many good ideas for directions with the work.

Oct 15 12 07:07 am Link

Photographer

John Horwitz

Posts: 2729

Raleigh, North Carolina, US

JennyFromTheBlock1 wrote:
I would like to know what is considered unprofessional from a photographer. What is considered too much and what questions are normal as far as pin up.... implied nude... etc.


Please Advise

Jennifer

I'd like to know why so many models are delusional - but that's another thread...

Oct 15 12 07:10 am Link

Artist/Painter

Two Pears Studio

Posts: 3398

Wilmington, Delaware, US

questions are just words... and depending on the context... they only have meaning you give them.

If they ask questions about shooting, the work, etc... everything is fair game in my opinion.

If it pertains to something outside of the shoot... then it is open to interpretation.

You are now involved in an industry that beauty and sex sells... so normal is different inside the industry than it may be outside.

Oct 15 12 07:39 am Link

Photographer

Jeff Fiore

Posts: 9224

Pelham, New York, US

John Horwitz wrote:

I'd like to know why so many models are delusional - but that's another thread...

LOL

Oct 15 12 07:40 am Link

Model

Amadea T

Posts: 3558

Columbus, Ohio, US

JennyFromTheBlock1 wrote:
I would like to know what is considered unprofessional from a photographer. What is considered too much and what questions are normal as far as pin up.... implied nude... etc.


Please Advise

Jennifer

What would your doctor ask you? What would your lawyer ask you? Hopefully only relevant stuff. As it should be in any profession.

Oct 15 12 07:51 am Link

Model

Amadea T

Posts: 3558

Columbus, Ohio, US

Farenell Photography wrote:
I guess by that definition I'm an "unprofessional" & proud of it.

Do you wanna be unprofessional together? *wiggles eyebrows*

Oct 15 12 07:53 am Link

Photographer

Abbitt Photography

Posts: 11723

Oakland Acres, Iowa, US

Professioanlism, in my opinion, has nothing to with the amount or type of clothing required for a shoot. - That's more about genre, than professionalism.

Oct 15 12 07:55 am Link

Photographer

Art of the nude

Posts: 11892

Olivet, Michigan, US

Farenell Photography wrote:
I guess by that definition I'm an "unprofessional" & proud of it.

I like to know about where my models have been, how they got to where they are, what caused them to get into this crazy business, do they have any outside aspirations, how they met their spouses, where they went to school & what they majored in, what they like to do in the rare moments they have free time, among MANY other things.

I'd LIKE to think it makes me care about them as a human being instead of a breathing mannequin. smile

The flow of conversation AT a shoot is a different matter than early contact.  If the model mentions her husband in conversation, I might ask a follow up question, but asking "So, are you married or taken, or are you available?" in an early message really has no legit purpose.  Same with various other topics of conversation.

I've had a bit of "personal" conversation (although not about boyfriend / spouse) with one model who lives several states away.  It turns out that she went to school with one of my favorite models, so we had an additional connection besides MM and art work.

Oct 15 12 08:51 am Link

guide forum

Photographer

Rays Fine Art

Posts: 6308

New York, New York, US

Any question that leads to an understanding between you and the photographer as to the personal boundaries of each of you, the goals and interests of each of you, or what conduct by the other is acceptable to either of you is legitimate and professional.

Without knowing these things, how can you reach a workable agreement?  If you follow the forums at all, you know that most complaints of "unprofessional conduct" arise out of one party or the other assuming that the other will accept some behavior that was never specifically discussed or if discussed was tossed off with a "we'll see" response.  Much better to find out where the problems lie before getting into the shoot than after.  And if the asking of the question bothers you this much, think how much more you will be bothered if the wrong assumptions are made.

All IMHO, as always.

Oct 15 12 11:24 am Link

Photographer

John Horwitz

Posts: 2729

Raleigh, North Carolina, US

Oct 15 12 11:31 am Link

Photographer

Light and Lens Studio

Posts: 1438

Sisters, Oregon, US

Asking questions is not a crime.  If done tastefully, it really shouldn't be offensive. 

Your portfolio is a bit confusing regarding the genre's you are available for.  Advertising that you are available for "fetish" opens the door to a very broad spectrum of work and appropriate questions regarding same.  A big part of the fetish world would be classified as "Adult" themes/situations. 

If the communication with a potential photographer takes a direction that you are not comfortable with, then just simply end it and move along.  Why do you have to ask us what to do?  Are you trying to get the community to condemn photographers for asking questions that in your mind are inappropriate? 

It's kind of like TV.  If you don't like a program, just change the channel.  No need to whine about the program you don't like. 

Sheesh!

Oct 15 12 11:44 am Link

Photographer

Chuckarelei

Posts: 9562

Seattle, Washington, US

I wish the term 'professional' is stopped being used for ethical.

Oct 15 12 11:48 am Link

Photographer

Light and Lens Studio

Posts: 1438

Sisters, Oregon, US

Chuckarelei wrote:
I wish the term 'professional' is stopped being used for ethical.

+1

And add to that "Politically Correct 

The thought police are alive and well.  And now they are looking at free speech.

Oct 15 12 11:57 am Link

Model

JennyFromTheBlock1

Posts: 25

Kansas City, Missouri, US

Asking if my friend and I are comfortable enough for sexually implied photos I guess may be okay..... but then asking if were bi... Is not.. that is not okay in my book... IJS....

Oct 15 12 01:56 pm Link

Model

JennyFromTheBlock1

Posts: 25

Kansas City, Missouri, US

John Horwitz wrote:
http://www.modelmayhem.com/po.php?threa … st17597463

what did you learn?

I learned your an ass ... Good Day wink

Oct 15 12 02:01 pm Link

Photographer

Harold Rose

Posts: 2925

Calhoun, Georgia, US

JennyFromTheBlock1 wrote:
I would like to know what is considered unprofessional from a photographer. What is considered too much and what questions are normal as far as pin up.... implied nude... etc.


Please Advise

Jennifer

Wow  what a master of the english lanuage..    try a grade higher..

Oct 15 12 02:02 pm Link

Photographer

Image K

Posts: 23374

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

JennyFromTheBlock1 wrote:
I learned your an ass ... Good Day wink

You used your 3rd Model Mayhem post to call someone a name.

Nicely done.

You should fit right in here.

lol

Oct 15 12 02:04 pm Link

Photographer

Vincent Arthur

Posts: 899

Red Bank, New Jersey, US

JennyFromTheBlock1 wrote:
Asking if my friend and I are comfortable enough for sexually implied photos I guess may be okay..... but then asking if were bi... Is not.. that is not okay in my book... IJS....

Depending on the shoot questions about sexual orientation may or may not be appropriate...

For this shot I knew ahead of time that the models were genuinely attracted to each other

http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/081020/23/48fd49e170932_m.jpg

For this shot a new ahead of time that they would be acting:

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/12389906 18+

Oct 15 12 02:07 pm Link

Model

JennyFromTheBlock1

Posts: 25

Kansas City, Missouri, US

Vincent Arthur wrote:

Depending on the shoot questions about sexual orientation may or may not be appropriate...

For this shot I knew ahead of time that the models were genuinely attracted to each other

http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/081020/23/48fd49e170932_m.jpg

For this shot a new ahead of time that they would be acting:

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/12389906 18+

So to you this is normal?? I would just like to know if this is in fact a normal thing to come across. My goal is not to critique for how someone chooses to conduct business. If I am not comfortable I wont do it, but I would just like to know if this is common with 2 girl shoots.

Oct 15 12 02:14 pm Link

Photographer

Image K

Posts: 23374

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

JennyFromTheBlock1 wrote:

So to you this is normal?? I would just like to know if this is in fact a normal thing to come across. My goal is not to critique for how someone chooses to conduct business. If I am not comfortable I wont do it, but I would just like to know if this is common with 2 girl shoots.

I'm still not sure I understand the question...

How do you define "common" and "normal"?

If a photographer just, out of the blue, asks you your sexual orientation, that would be out of bounds.

If a photographer asks you about your sexual orientation in the context of a potential girl-on-girl shoot, in regards to your comfort levels, that would be an understandable question.

Oct 15 12 02:22 pm Link

Model

JennyFromTheBlock1

Posts: 25

Kansas City, Missouri, US

Harold Rose wrote:

Wow  what a master of the english lanuage..    try a grade higher..

I posted the thread from my phone. I did not realize you yourself were an English major. My goal was to ask a question, however what I asked may have hit a nerve for how you conduct your own business. It is truly sad for people who have nothing better to do then to insult people all day long. Your spirit must get tired.

Oct 15 12 02:22 pm Link

Model

JennyFromTheBlock1

Posts: 25

Kansas City, Missouri, US

Image K wrote:

I'm still not sure I understand the question...

How do you define "common" and "normal"?

If a photographer just, out of the blue, asks you your sexual orientation, that would be out of bounds.

If a photographer asks you about your sexual orientation in the context of a potential girl-on-girl shoot, in regards to your comfort levels, that would be an understandable question.

THANK YOU!!

Oct 15 12 02:23 pm Link

Photographer

Orca Bay Images

Posts: 32233

Woodinville, Washington, US

JennyFromTheBlock1 wrote:

So to you this is normal?? I would just like to know if this is in fact a normal thing to come across. My goal is not to critique for how someone chooses to conduct business. If I am not comfortable I wont do it, but I would just like to know if this is common with 2 girl shoots.

Vincent explained his method to the madness. Some photographers really want to know if there'll be no spark in a couples shoot. So for some photographers, it is common.

If you're going to get upset over that kind of query, you'd do well to uncheck Erotic and Fetish from your profile's preferred genres list.

Oct 15 12 02:24 pm Link

Photographer

Image K

Posts: 23374

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

JennyFromTheBlock1 wrote:

I posted the thread from my phone. I did not realize you yourself were an English major. My goal was to ask a question, however what I asked may have hit a nerve for how you conduct your own business. It is truly sad for people who have nothing better to do then to insult people all day long. Your spirit must get tired.

Just ignore people like that.

Everyone else does.

Oct 15 12 02:25 pm Link

Photographer

Optix

Posts: 225

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Has nothing to do with asking appropriate questions, they just lack people skills.

Other people just don't know how to communicate properly in written form, and fail to realize that what they just wrote, doesn't read as intended.

Oct 15 12 02:27 pm Link