Forums > General Industry > Unprofessional Photographer

Photographer

Image K

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

JennyFromTheBlock1 wrote:

THANK YOU!!

Sure.

Trust your instincts, and you will be fine.

The photographer was probably just trying to get a feel of the potential passion/intensity level of a girl-girl collaboration.

Oct 15 12 02:28 pm Link

Model

JennyFromTheBlock1

Kansas City, Missouri, US

Orca Bay Images wrote:

Vincent explained his method to the madness. Some photographers really want to know if there'll be no spark in a couples shoot. So for some photographers, it is common.

If you're going to get upset over that kind of query, you'd do well to uncheck Erotic and Fetish from your profile's preferred genres list.

Understood.

Oct 15 12 02:32 pm Link

guide forum

Photographer

GPS Studio Services

San Francisco, California, US

Orca Bay Images wrote:
Vincent explained his method to the madness. Some photographers really want to know if there'll be no spark in a couples shoot. So for some photographers, it is common.

If you're going to get upset over that kind of query, you'd do well to uncheck Erotic and Fetish from your profile's preferred genres list.

Understood.

I am going to try to expound on this.  Listen to what is being asked of you and just put it in context.  I have, very rarely asked about sexual orientation.  I don't generally find the question to be appropriate.  If a model is willing to do a sexually suggestive, girl/girl photo, and she tells me she is comfortable with it, that is all I need to know.  A model, should be able to get into character.

That having been said, just because I wouldn't ask the question, doesn't mean that someone else would not.  I have forty years of experience.  Not everybody does.  They simply may want to get the feel for the situation.

On the other hand, I have asked girls very innocuous things and it has rubbed them the wrong way.  So you, and only you, can put what is being said into context.  The important thing is to not over-react.

If a photographer drops his pants, asks you to have sex or asks to smell your panties, it is time to turn around and walk out the door.  With lesser things, listen carefully and think about the point of the question.  If it is one question out of a long discussion, you have a different situation than many questions that are pushing boundaries.

In the end, if you are uncomfortable, you still may decide that this person isn't right for you to work with.  Even then though, you have to think carefully, is it your inexperience or his misconduct?

So my advice, follow your instincts.  Just do it with an open mind.  Don't be too thin skinned, but also don't be afraid to leave if it really just feels wrong.  These things are never black and white.

Oct 15 12 02:40 pm Link

Model

Paige Morgan

New York, New York, US

Are the questions directly relevant to the shoot? When discussing limits/boundaries and content levels you are willing to shoot, it may require some somewhat personal questions (e.g. Is a sheep top/slight nipple visibility okay? If you do not shoot nudes are you comfortable with implied? Are you comfortable posing with another model in ~insert example here~ context? What size ~article of clothing~ do you wear?)

If you feel you are being asked things that are outside the realm of the job at hand (Are you straight/gay/bi? Are you seeing someone? Can I take you out for a drink?), you can always politely tell the person that that if it isn't shoot related, you'd prefer not to discuss personal info. You can also ask them to clarify why they are asking, just in case there is a shoot context reason they are asking (e.g. a girl/girl shoot)

Additionally, you might want to double check your profile sidebar, and make sure you ONLY have the genres you are willing to shoot checked, and not the entire list.

No one can decide your limits and comfort levels but you, and no one but you can politely assert themselves if a situation occurs that isn't within those boundaries.

Oct 15 12 02:51 pm Link

Model

JennyFromTheBlock1

Kansas City, Missouri, US

Thank you for all of your insight. I am learning different things to be aware of and did not know if this was something I will come across. I guess I can understand with a girl/girl shoot.

Thanks

Oct 15 12 02:56 pm Link

Model

MoRina

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

Sometimes people ask things that are impolite or inappropriate. If it is a face-to-face conversation, it's easy to laugh off a question and say "yeah, I'm not going to go there" and then move on, but emails are more difficult because you don't really know tone, and you don't know what is a serious question and what isn't.

This isn't a modeling-specific issue, though.  Some people will ask whatever they feel like.  I used to be in outside sales, and was doing a very in-depth sales presentation with a customer.  After a while, he leaned back in his chair, folded his arms, and said "is that your real hair color?"

Oct 15 12 03:13 pm Link

Artist/Painter

Two Pears Studio

Wilmington, Delaware, US

MoRina wrote:
Sometimes people ask things that are impolite or inappropriate. If it is a face-to-face conversation, it's easy to laugh off a question and say "yeah, I'm not going to go there" and then move on, but emails are more difficult because you don't really know tone, and you don't know what is a serious question and what isn't.

This isn't a modeling-specific issue, though.  Some people will ask whatever they feel like.  I used to be in outside sales, and was doing a very in-depth sales presentation with a customer.  After a while, he leaned back in his chair, folded his arms, and said "is that your real hair color?"

At least he didn't ask if the drapes matched the carpet!

Sometimes when you are faced with so much beauty... your filter goes a bit haywire and you say what you are thinking... or sometimes nonsense!

Oct 15 12 03:17 pm Link

Photographer

John Horwitz

Raleigh, North Carolina, US

I learned your an ass ... Good Day wink

now I'm gonna cry

Oct 15 12 03:28 pm Link

Model

MoRina

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

Two Pears Studio wrote:

At least he didn't ask if the drapes matched the carpet!

Sometimes when you are faced with so much beauty... your filter goes a bit haywire and you say what you are thinking... or sometimes nonsense!

I was asked that before many times...I was trying to keep it clean here!

Oct 15 12 03:35 pm Link

Photographer

Toto Photo

Belmont, California, US

MoRina wrote:

Good point, great example!

So, did you close the deal?

Oct 15 12 03:35 pm Link

Photographer

Rik Austin

Austin, Texas, US

Moderator Note!
Just as a reminder this discussion is not about English.

Oct 15 12 03:47 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Farrell

Nashville, Tennessee, US

John Horwitz wrote:
now I'm gonna cry

lol

Oct 15 12 04:16 pm Link

Photographer

Joe WoW Photos

Dayton, Ohio, US

Yawn...

Oct 15 12 04:25 pm Link

Photographer

G D Peters Photography

North Platte, Nebraska, US

Translation of a conversation or communique can often take differing paths, and are not always understood, so keeping that in mind may help you in the future.  All of us can be a little rough around the edges at times and say things we may not exactly mean, and may be interpreted wrong.  If you do not understand, ask.  Then if further understanding is not reached, take the proper course, whatever that may be.  We all have choices.  I wish you well.  smile

Oct 15 12 06:30 pm Link

Photographer

Antediluvian Design

Dunmore, Pennsylvania, US

Would wearing Joey Buttafuco pants be considered unprofessional?

Oct 15 12 08:03 pm Link

Photographer

Optix

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Rik Austin wrote:
Just as a reminder this discussion is not about English.

Not necessarily about English, but definitely about being misunderstood because of a lack of proper communication skills.

For example, instead of asking her if she was bisexual, which she obviously found offensive, he should have asked her if she would feel uncomfortable simulating intimacy with another woman.

Just because someone is homosexual, doesn't mean they're promiscuous. It is the equivalent of asking a straight woman, if she would feel uncomfortable simulating intimacy with a male.

In other words, he was gauging some "slutty factor" by making an assumption about gay people.

Oct 16 12 02:21 am Link