Forums > Photography Talk > How well does old/crappy/cheap gear stack up?

Photographer

Martin Boulianne

Sainte-Agathe-des-Monts, Quebec, Canada

wow! i still use me Metz 402 and 401 flashes!!   and they were bought used 25 years ago!!!

Oct 16 12 06:37 am Link

Photographer

Matt Schmidt Photo

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

. . . everything I use is junk, old, crap, outdated, etc. etc. etc.

Oct 16 12 06:49 am Link

Photographer

Richard Klein Photo

Buffalo Grove, Illinois, US

Just my $.02 worth: I've been shooting pro since 1971, the days of the cavemen for sure.  I still use a lot of my old gear, Speedotron Brown and Black Line for lighting, Luna-Pro meters, Gossen Mark II Flash meters, etc. and get excellent results.  My cameras are digital now, but what served me so well for film just didn't roll over and die when I transitioned to digital.  I agree with so many of the statements in this thread:  it is the photographer, not so much the gear, that determines how a picture comes out.  Sure, monolights, Sekonic L series meters, etc. would make my life easier; but would they make my shots better?  By using all my old gear in conjunction with my experience, I seem to be getting along o.k.

Oct 16 12 07:18 am Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

my favorite camera right now is 50 years old...i paid $15 for it..

https://i.imgur.com/m8TQi.png

Oct 16 12 07:21 am Link

Photographer

AgX

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

I applaud this demonstration, well done!

-JAY- wrote:
Challenge success. right is cheap gear.

And I think this cements the kind of thing I am trying to say.

pro with pro gear or cheap gear - in similar controlled environments, near similar results.

Me, somewhat experienced hobbyist - similar image quality from gear miles apart.

Newbie - will produce similar quality images regardless of gear choices

Ah, but will s/he? The scientist in me demands more data!

-JAY- wrote:
Everything of course within reason. Pro shooters won't get similar shots at a wedding with a rebel with 35-80. Certain pro gear will produce nicer images in some situations for the newbies... but the premise is the same.

I say test this hypothesis. Many (including me) would agree with you that the photographer, not the gear, is the most important element in most scenarios. Inherent in that assumption might be the belief that experience is part of what makes the photographer, and that a master can create wonder with a cereal box and paper negatives due, in part, to that experience.

So let's challenge this argument. Go find a newbie, share your Guinness, and let's see how closely matched his/her shots of cheap gear vs pricey gear are. smile

Oct 16 12 07:57 am Link

Photographer

Jay Leavitt

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Martin Boulianne wrote:
wow! i still use me Metz 402 and 401 flashes!!   and they were bought used 25 years ago!!!

Sunpak 622 Supers are my go-to outdoor flashes when I need power and have to pack light. big_smile

Oct 16 12 10:37 am Link

Photographer

Jay Leavitt

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

AgX wrote:
So let's challenge this argument. Go find a newbie, share your Guinness, and let's see how closely matched his/her shots of cheap gear vs pricey gear are. smile

Don't think that's needed, how many times do you see "ZOMG I upgraded from a d40x / 20D / etc to a D600 / D800 / 1DX / 5DIII!!!! So much better!!!" and yet the images they post are no different than what they were doing previously?

Oct 16 12 11:19 am Link

Photographer

Richard Klein Photo

Buffalo Grove, Illinois, US

+1

Oct 16 12 11:25 am Link

Photographer

Image Magik

Santa Cruz, California, US

-JAY- wrote:

There is a lot to the camera though. For example, with the better camera, I got a bit more detail in the bun in Kylie's hair, since the better camera had better DR, handled shadows better, etc. Also more MP = sharper details, better color rendition... you get my point.

However, side by side, you can tell the difference, but you can also see how similar they are in certain controlled situations.

https://jayleavitt.com/links/cheapvspro.jpg

Which one is which?

The one on the right is smoother and not as harsh. The tone/ white balance is different as well.

Oct 16 12 11:33 am Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

I have an old Nikon S 35mm rangerfinder.  It's older than I am.  It's completely manual -- no auto focus, no auto exposure, nothing like that.  But it's rock solid, and it has incredibly sharp glass (sharp even at f/1.4).  I wouldn't trade it for any camera (except maybe those 20x24 Polaroid view cameras).

That being said, I think that a good photograph is a blend of good technical qualities with good aesthetic qualities.  Overall, I'd rather look at a photo with good aesthetic qualities than a photograph with good technical qualities.  For example, one of my favorite photographers, Diane Arbus, produced images that were of only moderate technical qualities, but it was her aesthetics that made her photographs memorable.

So, my recommendation to people getting started is to focus more on the aesthetics and use equipment capable of delivering the technical quality that is at the same level as the aesthetic.  A serious photographer would continue to push the envelopes of both his aesthetic & his technical skills.

Finally, I would like to point out that many photos lose a lot of their technical excellence when the images are scanned and/or resized for web posting.

I'm remembering my college days, back in the early 1970s:
...  Beginner photography students learned basic skills on SLRs.
...  Intermediate students learned advance technical skills with view cameras.
...  Advanced students were given $5 Diana cameras with plastic lenses.

So, for those photographers who like to talk & talk about their equipment, chances are that I'm quietly shaking my head.

Oct 16 12 11:38 am Link

Photographer

Image Magik

Santa Cruz, California, US

S W I N S K E Y wrote:

And what camera is that?

Oct 16 12 11:47 am Link

Photographer

Phil Drinkwater

Manchester, England, United Kingdom

A good demo.

The time when new gear usually wins is at the boundaries, where you want something printed large, or push shadows, or low light or something.

Certainly I think I could produce pretty any of my work on here could have been produced with my Canon 10d and shown on this site and look identical in web resolution. Once you get past "large screen size" the differences might start to show up though.

Oct 16 12 11:53 am Link

Photographer

AgX

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

AgX wrote:

-JAY- wrote:
Don't think that's needed, how many times do you see "ZOMG I upgraded from a d40x / 20D / etc to a D600 / D800 / 1DX / 5DIII!!!! So much better!!!" and yet the images they post are no different than what they were doing previously?

You're just trying to keep all your Guinness to yourself. I see what you're doing. tongue

Oct 16 12 11:54 am Link

Artist/Painter

Thunder Mountain Photo

Sedona, Arizona, US

Anyone have a comparison on the cowboy studio NPT-04-4 triggers vs  the Yongnuo RF-603 triggers for use with the Yongnuo YN-560 II Speedlight Flash? Both are close in price but the cowboy set gives you an extra receiver.

Oct 24 12 04:56 am Link

Photographer

Kevin Alex Photography

Palm Coast, Florida, US

Good gear is good gear regardless of when it was paid for. Sure we all want the new and shiny, but if it still clicks or fires, it's all good to me.

Oct 24 12 05:13 am Link

Photographer

fsp

New York, New York, US

Cheese us.. for $400 you can get a really nice RB67 or a Bronica ETRSi and shoot your ass off with what was once the top of the line $4000 setups people made a living with. I have a lens I bought new in 1971 that cost me $1500, selling used today for $200 adn still works as good as it did in 1971. So does expensive equipment make a difference?.. NO.

Maybe today an expensive digital camera n equipmet makes more of a difference because of the new technology, but once upon a time it was all up to the person behind the lens, a few hot lights on a seamless i sall you needed.

So use your talents, and be creative on a budget.

Oct 24 12 05:22 am Link

Photographer

fsp

New York, New York, US

-JAY- wrote:

Sunpak 622 Supers are my go-to outdoor flashes when I need power and have to pack light. big_smile

Funy I just rebuilt my Sunpak 611 battery pack this week with NiMh as well as a DIY external battery for longer shoots. Pack a punch?... sun in a potato masher is the only way to fly.

I love the comments on this thread from the old timers.. god I love my film!

Oct 24 12 05:28 am Link

Photographer

rdallasPhotography

CHADDS FORD, Pennsylvania, US

-JAY- wrote:

Stands were factored into the price. Cowboy studios, $23 for two, $16.50 for the third. Umbrellas the same ($32 for the two octagonal umbrellaboxes, $32 for the rectangle.)

Camera/Lens - $150
Strobes - $100
RF-603 - $29
hotshoe adapter - $4
stands - $40
umbrellas - $32
softbox - $32
foamcore - $5
      -       (6 pack of Guinness - $8)
$392        ($400)

Absolutely great thread. As someone pointed out your OP should be stickied! If someone starts with this and begins to develop their skills they can go the DIY route for many of the extra items they might want to use; beauty dish, flash diffusor, snoot, strip lights, grids, PVC backdrop stand, etc. Once they are ready, they'll know exactly what they may want to spend more money on.

I started with an XSi, my whole port except for a few shots were taken with the XSi. But I ran into ISO limitations. I also wanted larger files to allow me to crop. I got a reburbished 60D that allows me to use my old lenses and memory cards.

Again, great post.

Randy

Oct 24 12 05:38 am Link

Photographer

PhillipM

Nashville, Tennessee, US

I'm still shooting with a 1D Mark ii, and now have moved into Medium and Large Format Film.

Not sure about how crappy the gear is, but it's what I use.  I'm not shooting High Fashion either...wink

RB67

https://www.keepsakephotography.us/FILM/Filmman2.jpg

D60 w/1 AB800 light

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/060427/15/44512e98e1e66.jpg

Oct 24 12 05:41 am Link

Photographer

rdallasPhotography

Thunder Mountain Photo wrote:
Anyone have a comparison on the cowboy studio NPT-04-4 triggers vs  the Yongnuo RF-603 triggers for use with the Yongnuo YN-560 II Speedlight Flash? Both are close in price but the cowboy set gives you an extra receiver.

I only know about the Cowboy trigger and they have been extremely reliable. It was the two receivers that interested me and the reviews were pretty decent. The only negative I've had so far is the screw down mechanism. After a number of uses they tend to to lose the ability to be tightened securely and if you are using a ball head to tilt your light, the chance of the flash falling is high. It just happened to me about a week ago. My 580 went to the floor. It still works and I managed to catch it when it went down a second time. Time for Gaffer's Tape.

Oct 24 12 05:45 am Link

Photographer

rdallasPhotography

AJScalzitti wrote:

Sad but true, I think they are a hell of a lot of MkIII and D800 buyers who had to have these amazing new cameras so they could post 800-1000 pixel 72/dpi images.

smile Kinda like buying a Lamborghini so you can drive around your neighborhood at 25 mph.

Oct 24 12 05:54 am Link

Artist/Painter

Thunder Mountain Photo

Sedona, Arizona, US

Thanks for the info, from what I've read the Yungnuo triggers don't even have a lock and are prone to slide off too.

Oct 24 12 05:56 am Link

Photographer

Jay Leavitt

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Thunder Mountain Photo wrote:
Thanks for the info, from what I've read the Yungnuo triggers don't even have a lock and are prone to slide off too.

Correct. though the umbrella brackets I use have a locking hotshoe, so it evens out.

Oct 24 12 07:32 am Link

Photographer

ShutterSpeedPhotography

Tempe, Arizona, US

Being someone that works at a repair store and has handled virtually every Nikon and Canon digital camera imaginible I think it's more about what you can do with the camera, not how old it is.

The funny thing about how much quicker digital cameras age versus the older manual cameras is that today your camera is great, 2 years from now it might be obsolete, 4 years from now people turn heads wondering why you're still shooting on it.

Heck I've seen people that still shoot on a Nikon D100, Nikon D40 or a Canon Digital Rebel (the original one), Canon 10D, 20D, 30D, etc. Even people that use L-Series lenses on their Canon Digital Rebel XT.

If you're someone that shoots on older digital cameras they should perform just as well as they did when you purchased them, but if the shutter dies it's time to get a new one....

Oct 24 12 07:58 am Link

Photographer

KonstantKarma

Campobello, South Carolina, US

I creeped the exif on one of the most impressive photographers (IMO) on MM, who I admire because I think his work ranks among the best of the best. He shoots with a Nikon D40.

Oct 24 12 09:11 am Link

Photographer

ArtisticGlamour

Phoenix, Arizona, US

-JAY- wrote:
How often do we see threads started by models, makeup artists, hairstylists, retouchers, etc asking "I want to get started in photography, but have little budget" we ask a few questions, and it turns out the budget is $300, and they want a camera, good lens, and some lights so that they can really get into things. Everyone laughs, and tells them to save up, and maybe someday they can buy a decent rebel body and kit lens. LOL, newbies, am I right? /rollseyes.

The truth is that there are many viable options to help someone get started for budgets even that small.

Word.

About $300 into my original kit...
https://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g461/TyPortfolio/sonyflash.jpg

https://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g461/TyPortfolio/flash_minolta_program_af_4000.jpg https://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g461/TyPortfolio/flash_minolta_program_af_4000.jpg https://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g461/TyPortfolio/flash_minolta_program_af_4000.jpg
Sony/Minolta still packs a huge "Bang for the Buck"!
And, I have had zero problems with Cowboy Studio.

Oct 24 12 09:18 am Link

Photographer

o k u t a k e

New York, New York, US

Great test!!!!

A lot of people get so caught up on gear and spend a boat load of cash on crap they don't need. If you're just a hobbyist, even with the occasional paid shoot, you don't need much gear and you definitely don't need any pro gear. No one needs a 1D and a bag full of L-glass to take pics of their kids, dog, vacation or even the weekend model shoot.

Oct 24 12 03:55 pm Link

Photographer

Anthony Thurston

Gresham, Oregon, US

I currently use a Nikon 70-210 F4 as my main "long" lens, and it is as old as I am(maybe a little older actually). I picked it up at the local camera shop for $200, its just as sharp as my 35 1.8G and 50 1.8G (neither are top quality, but both are brand new and very sharp), sure the auto focus has issues now and then - but that is to be expected from a 24 year old lens. I use it for everything from Portraits to Sports - though it can barely handle football under lights at night - but that is due to the F4, and not how old the lens is.

Just thought I would share since this, I think, is exactly what you are talking about. Old Gear produces great results, just may not have all the bells and whistles that the new stuff has(VR, Nano Coating, Updated AF, Etc)

Oct 24 12 04:04 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Leavitt

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

o k u t a k e wrote:
Great test!!!!

A lot of people get so caught up on gear and spend a boat load of cash on crap they don't need. If you're just a hobbyist, even with the occasional paid shoot, you don't need much gear and you definitely don't need any pro gear. No one needs a 1D and a bag full of L-glass to take pics of their kids, dog, vacation or even the weekend model shoot.

agreed. And one thing I love about all the new tech is that it makes it that much easier to afford.

Two years ago you could ask someone to suggest "a fantastic camera, with a really good wide/short-tele zoom for weddings.

Their answer would be to get a 5DII and a 24-70 2.8 "doesnt get much better than that" --- it would set you back about $4000.

That camera and lens combo is every bit as capable now... Even though both have been replaced. That "doesnt get much better than this" kit can now be had for just a bit over $2000.

The newer stuff can give you an edge... But the older stuff is very much still in the game.

Oct 24 12 04:05 pm Link

Photographer

Ryan South

Baton Rouge, Louisiana, US

o k u t a k e wrote:
Great test!!!!

Nice test Jay!  As far as the "kids, dog, vacation... I think the 1dx and L glass would be far better used for those sorts of things as opposed to model shoots where you're working with lights.  You might want to shoot your dog mid-flight, your kid with that ultra-creamy 85 1.2 bokeh, Paris at night with a the 50 1.2 at ISO 32,000 or whatever... I know I do.  Gonna go do the dog thing now.

Oct 24 12 04:29 pm Link

Photographer

Amul La La

London, England, United Kingdom

Hi Jay,

I wrote in reply to another post, that was dissimilar to this, it was comparing camera's Canon and Nikon,

My point was, I'm no professional, photography is not my career? it's my hobby.

I have more money now then when I first started taking pictures with my Canon 300D, but I love my camera, I have brought a new lens, and I like it.

But I wouldn't go spending copious amounts of money on technology if I was a pro, I would by what I needed to get the image I wanted, but I think using what you have, learning about, making it a second skin, will lead to images that you can be proud of also, I completely sold on that notion.

My images have improved over the past year, just from practicing/ reading a bit, and yes experimentation.

Thank you very much for you're insight, I love what you've given to people like me, and also people that discount, the outdated equipment like it's nothing just because, the newer better equipments is considered the sole necessity, makes the older equipments a right off.

Different strokes for different folks though.

smile

Nov 01 12 07:20 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

S W I N S K E Y wrote:

I have a 40 year old Nikon F2 that I no longer use.

Nov 01 12 07:22 am Link

Photographer

ArtisticGlamour

Phoenix, Arizona, US

I feel like a REAL photographer when I bang with the old 2.25.
https://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g461/TyPortfolio/sweetrig.jpg
WAAAAY different than shooting digital!

I LOVE the color and saturation of good old 2.25 slides!
https://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g461/TyPortfolio/slide3b.jpg

Nov 01 12 08:46 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

ArtisticGlamour wrote:
I feel like a REAL photographer when I bang with the old 2.25.
https://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g461/TyPortfolio/sweetrig.jpg
WAAAAY different than shooting digital!

A Rolleiflex would be better!   smile

Nov 01 12 08:59 am Link

Photographer

ArtisticGlamour

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Jerry Nemeth wrote:
A Rolleiflex would be better!

I hear ya, but not for ME! wink I like to throw the old beast folded down and tossed into the backpack (loosely, without a case/cover/grips) and TRASH AROUND with it, because when folded down it's pretty much bulletproof. I'd be too worried about "breaking/scratching" a Rolleiflex! LOL! The Rolleicord is also smaller/lighter. I don't even notice the weight in the backpack, with all the digital crap in there also. And the old tiny little Kodak 10mpix "point and shoot" that I use for a "light meter" for it takes AA batteries! LOL!

I've got about $40 total into the old Rolleicord! smile LOVE it for a trail/pack camera...as a non-electronic "backup" to digital when shooting remote locations!

Nov 01 12 09:05 am Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

Rancho Cucamonga, California, US

AJScalzitti wrote:
Very true.  Too often people think old gear = junk.  I still have some speedtron gear, it worked fine for decades and just because it's older now does not mean its suddenly bad.  I have actually read people tell new photographers if they want to do commercial work they should get a D800 over a D600, as if the world changed last month.  WTF it's not like a magazine cover shot years ago with a 6MP camera suddenly and magically got reshot with a D800.

Word up... AND... if you or any of your friends think their Speedotron gear is outdated and wanna sell it... PLEASE have them contact me.  Currently using 5 of their power supplies with 11 strobeheads... stuff is like battle tank equipment that doesn't die... borat

Nov 01 12 09:08 am Link

Photographer

Marcio Faustino

Hamburg, Hamburg, Germany

Tell me something new...

My gear heva always being old seccond hand cheap but not crap.

The only camera I ever bought new is a D90 nikon and I almost dont use it.

When a llama ask if my gear is professional a tell that my gear is like here. They will be professional when they do professional work.

Nov 01 12 12:57 pm Link