Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > What to look for in a chair

Photographer

Llobet Photography

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

I don't know if this is silly but I'm not very comfortable doing retouching for hours in my crappy chairs.  Does anyone have any suggestions on what to look for in a chair that I'll be sitting in for hours doing retouching?  Are Staples chair any good?

Oct 25 12 07:55 am Link

Retoucher

Natalia_Taffarel

Buenos Aires, Buenos Aires, Argentina

https://www.wired.com/images/productreviews/2008/11/pr_herman_miller_embody_chair_f.jpg

she is nice smile

Ergonomic, something that holds your back, lets your body move and adapts to your movement

Oct 25 12 08:26 am Link

Photographer

DAN CRUIKSHANK

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

I usually go for the chair with the most cup holders.
I also like the look of the massage office chairs!

Oct 25 12 08:35 am Link

Photographer

sci

Arklow, Wicklow, Ireland

I've had back problems for a number of years and sitting in front of a computer is probably the worst thing for me. My advice to you would be to find a chair that has good lumbar support, try before you buy! smile

Oct 25 12 08:37 am Link

Photographer

Image Magik

Santa Cruz, California, US

I would listen to Natalia, but massage sounds like a nice bonus!

Oct 25 12 08:40 am Link

Photographer

Image Magik

Santa Cruz, California, US

Speakin of which-Anyone seen a hover chair for shooting outside that let's you shoot any angle easily? Probably need the George Jetson model:-)

Oct 25 12 08:42 am Link

Photographer

M Pandolfo Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

It's not a silly question at all and it's an area most overlook. Many will spend thousands upon thousands of dollars on camera equipment, computer and software and then buy a $99 Office Depot chair and wonder why they're miserable sitting for hours.

This is the best chair I've found.

http://www.hermanmiller.com/products/se … hairs.html

Oct 25 12 08:43 am Link

Retoucher

Natalia_Taffarel

Buenos Aires, Buenos Aires, Argentina

Michael Pandolfo wrote:
It's not a silly question at all and it's an area most overlook. Many will spend thousands upon thousands of dollars on camera equipment, computer and software and then buy a $99 Office Depot chair and wonder why they're miserable sitting for hours.

miller knows its shit smile

Oct 25 12 08:57 am Link

Photographer

C00P

Anaheim, California, US

Michael Pandolfo wrote:

Back when I was in the tech sector we had those in our offices. I think they were $1500.00 each at the time.  They didn't hold up all that well for the geek crowd. Ended up with holes in them from people sitting down with pens and such in their pockets.

Definitely agree with finding something comfortable and with lots of support though. 

Also need to consider how your arms fall across your work area. If you're reaching upward and putting pressure on your wrist, that can cause a lot of issues with blood flow/carpal tunnel.  If you're hunched over and reaching down, that can lead to back stress.

Oct 25 12 09:03 am Link

Photographer

Redcrown

West Des Moines, Iowa, US

Look around your area for used office furniture outlets. The bad economy has flooded the used market. Often possible to get good stuff for 10% to 30% of retail.

Oct 25 12 09:43 am Link

Photographer

Supermodel Photographer

Oyster Bay, New York, US

BlueMoonPics wrote:
Does anyone have any suggestions on what to look for in a chair that I'll be sitting in for hours doing retouching?

Your backside.

Oct 25 12 09:50 am Link

Photographer

Llobet Photography

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

Thanks for the advice so far.  That Herman Miller is beaucoup $$$, but nice.

Oct 25 12 11:52 am Link

Retoucher

Tim Whitney

Brooklyn, New York, US

I'll second either of those Herman Miller chairs and the Mirra as well. I've had the chance to sit in all three and love them. I personally have an Aeron at my home office and love it. The open mesh design is wonderful for keeping cool when it's hot out and they're very adjustable.

They really hold up over time if you don't keep keys and knives in your back pocket. Also, if you're buying this for business it's tax deductible–so keep that in mind when you're looking at the price tag.

Oct 26 12 11:52 am Link

Retoucher

Tim Whitney

Brooklyn, New York, US

I just saw you're in NYC. Check out craigslist. THere's lots of office furniture liquidators selling off Aerons for $400-500, too.

Oct 26 12 11:54 am Link

Photographer

BrennanOB

Walnut Creek, California, US

I picked up an Aeron for $300 at a used furniture store that takes in bankruptcies and liquidations from startups.
Also consider using more than one chair. My backup is a big Yoga ball. I use that for a half an hour every few hours to loosen up my poor old back.

Nov 01 12 01:13 pm Link

Photographer

Kelvin Hammond

Billings, Montana, US

Forever Comfy!  $19.95

Because that trucker's back feels good, and his bottom feels gooood.

LOL

Nov 05 12 08:35 am Link

Photographer

Le_Demimonde

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Costco sells some lower-level-but-perfectly-comfortable/supportive HON chairs for reasonable prices. Avoid ANYTHUING from Staples, poorly made, even the Branded Products are garbage.

Nov 05 12 08:41 am Link

Artist/Painter

sdgillis

Portland, Oregon, US

got a $400 Allsteel ergonomic swivel for $99 lightly used.
http://www.allsteeloffice.com/products/seating/

Nov 05 12 10:42 am Link

Photographer

Sergei Rodionov

Dallas, Texas, US

I dont like rolling ones, personally.. Decent chair with high back and lumbar support, and cushion works for me.. but then i never sit for longer than couple hours straight.. i always do take breaks every so often to walk/move/ stretch.

Nov 05 12 11:50 am Link

Photographer

SKITA Studios

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Michael Pandolfo wrote:

One thing to be aware of with the Aeron is if you sit too high, the front lip (the mesh sits on a plastic frame) of the chair will dig into your legs and cut off your circulation.  The HM folks know about this issue and put some foam on top of this area, but the foam does wear out...

Nov 05 12 12:37 pm Link

Model

Sarah Robinson-Bird

Sheffield, England, United Kingdom

Have you thought about a standing desk? You have to get the alignment of your screen just right and the height of your hand operated hardware just right, but it can produce a better posture and be comfy, if you're physically able to stand for long durations

I don't do it too much myself because the laptop screen ends up too low and I crane my neck, but it could really work for you.

Here's an article where I first read about it:
http://offbeathome.com/2011/06/ikea-boo … nding-desk

Nov 05 12 12:40 pm Link

Photographer

robert christopher

Snohomish, Washington, US

Natalia_Taffarel wrote:
https://www.wired.com/images/productreviews/2008/11/pr_herman_miller_embody_chair_f.jpg

she is nice smile

Ergonomic, something that holds your back, lets your body move and adapts to your movement

where do you find this

Nov 08 12 11:17 pm Link

Retoucher

Peano

Lynchburg, Virginia, US

robert christopher wrote:
where do you find this

http://www.amazon.com/Embody-Chair-Herm … m_sbs_hg_8

Nov 09 12 02:42 am Link

Photographer

Dan OMell

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

I use extremely tall table and mostly stand. I love to move back and forth from the screen pretty often. I found it's more productive to me. Plus, I love to dance in short breaks. I cannot stay still for a long either.

No chair gonna save you from cardiovascular deceases. You're not supposed to sit for hours. When I did, I rode it too much around all the time anyways.

Sometimes I spend more than 48hrs in front of my computer without any sleep (not being a hero, just an idiot. there is no reason or necessity at all). but I have a recamier nearby I use from time to time for 5-15 min. per day when I'm a "hero".

Nov 09 12 04:52 am Link

Photographer

robert christopher

Snohomish, Washington, US

Nov 11 12 06:56 am Link

Retoucher

bobbydolan

San Francisco, California, US

I'm pretty positive I could not justify spending more than around $250 on a chair, i wish i had more $$ ha

Nov 12 12 07:18 am Link

Photographer

In Its Own Way

Fort Wayne, Indiana, US

Michael Pandolfo wrote:

I had a chair very similar to this in a previous job, it makes a world of difference in your comfort when you sit for hours at a time.  I especially liked the mesh material, it breathes so you don't feel hot on your back and the backs of your thighs.

Nov 12 12 07:23 am Link

Photographer

NameChanged

Kansas City, Missouri, US

Forget all of those high priced chairs, just stand on your head... (c; 

Just Kidding, I had a seven hour surgery on my spine so I know what you are talking about when it comes to back problems.

Nov 12 12 07:28 am Link

Retoucher

Kristiana-Retouch

Rīga, Rīga, Latvia

Dan OMell wrote:
I use extremely tall table and mostly stand. I love to move back and forth from the screen pretty often. I found it's more productive to me. Plus, I love to dance in short breaks. I cannot stay still for a long either.

No chair gonna save you from cardiovascular deceases. You're not supposed to sit for hours. When I did, I rode it too much around all the time anyways.

Sometimes I spend more than 48hrs in front of my computer without any sleep (not being a hero, just an idiot. there is no reason or necessity at all). but I have a recamier nearby I use from time to time for 5-15 min. per day when I'm a "hero".

Haha - I would like to see you working - sounds exciting and fun smile

And buying 100000$ chair won't help if your work space setup isn't ergonomic. Light computer, monitor height etc..

Nov 12 12 08:42 am Link