Forums > Critique > Serious Critique > I would appreciate input on my images, please.

Photographer

KAOFoto

Fort Wayne, Indiana, US

Even though I have been photographing for quite some time as a hobby, I recently started seeking a B.F.A. in photography. I am asking for input on my images in order to try and see them through "new eyes."

I try to create images that create some type of feeling in the viewer rather than just photographing poses. Do my images make you think for a moment? Do they give you any type of feeling? Do they even interest you at all?

What do you think of the images technically? Where do you see/suggest improvement? Are my nudes too "old school"? Of my nudes, what do you think of the image that is soft focus in particular? Does it create a "dreamy" type of effect/feeling or is it just distracting?

I'm looking forward to reading your input! Thank you for your time!

Oct 25 12 10:49 am Link

Photographer

The Effective Image

Lansing, Michigan, US

Here's my take on your portfolio.

Get rid of the 'similar' images. Putting 'similar' images together dilutes them. Pick the best and lose the rest.

You have some interesting stuff... but the first thing I 'see' is similar images side by side. It says to me you haven't figured out which one is better, so you post both. Worse yet, is when there is more than one 'similar' image posted.

Photography is subjective so that in many cases viewers 'like' bad images more than perfect ones. If they only see one, it gets all the attention!

QUALITY COUNTS, QUANTITY DON'T!

Just my opinion.

Oct 26 12 08:50 pm Link

Photographer

mac13

Frederick, Maryland, US

KAOFoto wrote:
Even though I have been photographing for quite some time as a hobby, I recently started seeking a B.F.A. in photography. I am asking for input on my images in order to try and see them through "new eyes."

I try to create images that create some type of feeling in the viewer rather than just photographing poses. Do my images make you think for a moment? Do they give you any type of feeling? Do they even interest you at all?

What do you think of the images technically? Where do you see/suggest improvement? Are my nudes too "old school"? Of my nudes, what do you think of the image that is soft focus in particular? Does it create a "dreamy" type of effect/feeling or is it just distracting?

I'm looking forward to reading your input! Thank you for your time!

Quick answer: Looks like you are showing us your homework from photo class...
Long answer: You can see that you have a concept behind your photos what I see other than the last poster stated of the duplicates is that you are unsure of your concepts and your images in a whole. The black and white photos of the man are good for sketchers in art class so that the model doesnt get tired from holding the same pose. The duplicates.... what I have to say is this. if it doesnt look right in color changing it to B&W will not make it better.
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120216/20/4f3dd0ef3a919_m.jpg
This photo interests me. I think it would be better if you changed the lighting... Someone once told me, in a B&W photo you have to have two extreme elements. They dont have to control the image but they have to be in the photo somewhere... extreme black and extreme white otherwise the photo will look muddy. This looks muddy however I can see where you were trying to go.
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120216/19/4f3dcf4a8b1dc_m.jpg
Personally I think this is one of your stronger photos... the light is good the pose is great the only thing I would change is the outfit but that requires a budget. :-)
Keep working try changing the lighting about three times per pose and look at them if you have to convince yourself it is good through it out if you know instantly then keep it and fight for it!

Oct 27 12 09:39 pm Link

Photographer

KAOFoto

Fort Wayne, Indiana, US

Thank you, The Effective Image and mac13, for your input. I appreciate the time you took to look at my images and write a reply.

I do agree about the similar images and considered whether or not to include both. Guess I made the wrong decision.  lol  I haven't made the change in my portfolio yet, because I was waiting to see more feedback before making any changes.

Thank you again for giving your advice.

Oct 30 12 01:54 pm Link