Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Actor/Model Providing Own MU Brushes

Model

Dominique Jackson

Posts: 1116

BRONX, New York, US

Hello MUAs!

Is it worth an actor/model providing their own brushes for shoots?

Recently I had a minor health scare & when thinking about where I might have been exposed, I definitely considered when I got my MU done or when she touched my lips w/her bare hands.

Anyhow, I would be willing to buy my own tools if you guys thought it might be more sanitary. Although, if it ends up getting dipped into the same MU, would it make a difference?

Let me know what you think & any recommendations on specific brushes to build a good kit.

Thanks!

Oct 26 12 06:36 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Raw-Beauty

Posts: 210

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

there are various answers and problems to this.

1. It's no good buying your own brush if it's dipped into the same stuff.

2. How can the makeup artist be sure that YOUR brushes are clean and disinfected?

3. How much are you going to spend on your brushes.  many professional makeup artist use really expensive brushes.

4. Not all makeup artist are comfortable using your brushes.  they are usually better using their own brushes.

hope this helps.

Oct 26 12 07:59 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Makeup Hair by Dani B

Posts: 790

Los Angeles, California, US

If you would like to spend the thousands of dollars my brushes cost me to purchase your own set, that's fine.smile

To protect yourself on set, ask the MUA working on you BEFORE they start how they clean and disinfect their kits and brushes. If you don't see them sanitize or wash their hands before beginning work, ask them to. If they try to apply mascara or liquid liner or lip gloss with an applicator directly from the tube, don't allow it. Many artists work with their hands and as long as they are sanitized first, they have no open skin on their hands and haven't touched their own faces or hair after disinfecting them, no problem there.

Read the threads on this forum regarding sanitization of brushes and kits to find out what answers you should be looking for.

I would never be insulted by a model/talent asking these questions of me, I would applaud their pro-activeness in protecting their health.

Oct 26 12 09:18 pm Link

Model

Dominique Jackson

Posts: 1116

BRONX, New York, US

Thanks for your insight smile

Oct 26 12 10:18 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Kim Y

Posts: 235

Los Angeles, California, US

i wouldnt want to work with someone else's brushes... because i am so used to the weight, balance and they way my brushes worked. it would throw me off if i were to use a new brush...

my process and quickness comes from knowing my tools and product....

Oct 27 12 05:02 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Elizabethmakeup

Posts: 338

Hereford, England, United Kingdom

I also wouldn't want to use someone else's brushes in my makeup, as I can't be sure that your brushes are clean. (Even though I would disinfect them in alcohol before using them). I just wouldn't feel comfortable with it.

I would also feel a little insulted as it gives the impression that you have no confidence in me as a professional.

Oct 28 12 01:23 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Dani Jaye

Posts: 319

Princeton, New Jersey, US

Kim Y wrote:
i wouldnt want to work with someone else's brushes... because i am so used to the weight, balance and they way my brushes worked. it would throw me off if i were to use a new brush...

my process and quickness comes from knowing my tools and product....

+1!!!!!!!
I can do anything with my brushes because of the intimate nature in which I KNOW them.

Oct 29 12 10:57 am Link

Model

Tegan Lynn

Posts: 993

Kitchener, Ontario, Canada

Elizabethmakeup wrote:
I would also feel a little insulted as it gives the impression that you have no confidence in me as a professional.

This. As a make-up artist, I would be insulted if you offered your own brushes to me without giving me a chance to demonstrate that I'm hygenic and sanitary with my work.

As a model, I do bring basic make-up (especially mascara) and brushes with me to shoots even if there will be a MUA present due to bad experiences in the past. If I notice the MUA isn't following proper sanitation I'll call them on it, and give the rest of the team the option of allowing me to do my own make-up to avoid infection, or cancel the shoot.

Oct 29 12 11:11 am Link

Makeup Artist

Denise

Posts: 1926

Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada

Tegan Lynn wrote:

This. As a make-up artist, I would be insulted if you offered your own brushes to me without giving me a chance to demonstrate that I'm hygenic and sanitary with my work.

As a model, I do bring basic make-up (especially mascara) and brushes with me to shoots even if there will be a MUA present due to bad experiences in the past. If I notice the MUA isn't following proper sanitation I'll call them on it, and give the rest of the team the option of allowing me to do my own make-up to avoid infection, or cancel the shoot.

Isn't that contradictory? As a makeup artist you would be insulted by a model bringing her own brushes, yet as a model you routinely bring your own makeup and brushes and see nothing offensive or insulting about that to the makeup artist on your shoot?

Oct 30 12 12:38 am Link

Model

Tegan Lynn

Posts: 993

Kitchener, Ontario, Canada

Denise wrote:
Isn't that contradictory? As a makeup artist you would be insulted by a llama bringing her own brushes, yet as a llama you routinely bring your own makeup and brushes and see nothing offensive or insulting about that to the makeup artist on your shoot?

I bring my brushes (and more importantly, make-up, as a clean brush in contaminated product won't make a difference), however, I leave them in my bag and don't say anything unless I notice the MUA blatantly not following sanitation procedure. Most of the time I have no need of them and am happy to let the MUA's go about their jobs. However, on those rare occasions when I've been on a shoot and see the MUA double dipping, blowing on brushes, and using the same mascara wand on everyone, it's come in handy. I do think it's insulting if I were to pull them out right away, but I don't, and that's the difference. I give everyone the benefit of the doubt and the chance to demonstrate that they're doing things properly first.

I would have no problems if a llama were to bring her brushes to a shoot, unless they insisted I used them before I had a chance. It's more of a back-up measure type thing.

Oct 30 12 03:04 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Denise

Posts: 1926

Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada

Tegan Lynn wrote:

I bring my brushes (and more importantly, make-up, as a clean brush in contaminated product won't make a difference), however, I leave them in my bag and don't say anything unless I notice the MUA blatantly not following sanitation procedure. Most of the time I have no need of them and am happy to let the MUA's go about their jobs. However, on those rare occasions when I've been on a shoot and see the MUA double dipping, blowing on brushes, and using the same mascara wand on everyone, it's come in handy. I do think it's insulting if I were to pull them out right away, but I don't, and that's the difference. I give everyone the benefit of the doubt and the chance to demonstrate that they're doing things properly first.

I would have no problems if a model were to bring her brushes to a shoot, unless they insisted I used them before I had a chance. It's more of a back-up measure type thing.

Thanks for the clarification! smile

Oct 30 12 08:28 pm Link