Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Your favorite candy growing up?

Photographer

Eye of Sicari

Posts: 37036

Toledo, Ohio, US

TOP OF THE PAGE MA!


Cracker Jacks when they had "real" Toy Surprises

Nov 02 12 08:34 pm Link

Photographer

John Photography

Posts: 12958

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia

Those long cigars with the red tip, I think it's made of icing or something.....Used to love those as a kid and only recently discovered them again but no red tip on the end, But they're still large, about 15cm long and still yummy as I remember them..........

Nov 02 12 09:02 pm Link

Photographer

John Photography

Posts: 12958

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia

Eye of Sicari wrote:
TOP OF THE PAGE MA!


Cracker Jacks when they had "real" Toy Surprises

Never heard of those, what were they, and what do you mean real toys?

For that Kinder Eggs........They used to have good stuff in them but not any more. I know people that have collections of all the stuff they used to have and some of th toys you used to get were amazing value for the time.

Nov 02 12 09:03 pm Link

Photographer

John Photography

Posts: 12958

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia

Andialu wrote:
http://www.megalink.net/~dale/candycig1.jpg

OMG OMG OMG I remember those.......... Shame you can't still get them thanks to the do gooders....

salvatori. wrote:
http://i2.listal.com/image/67362/600full-candy-loving.jpg

And who the hell is that.....Can we see more of her? big_smile

Nov 02 12 09:09 pm Link

Model

Christina Josephine

Posts: 121

Warsaw, Indiana, US

Orca Bay Images wrote:

http://www.pimpthatsnack.com/project/330/

Thank me later.

Thank you:)

Nov 02 12 09:15 pm Link

Photographer

Orca Bay Images

Posts: 32233

Lodi, California, US

Andialu wrote:
http://i2.listal.com/image/67362/600full-candy-loving.jpg

AdelaideJohn1967 wrote:
And who the hell is that.....Can we see more of her? big_smile

Candy Loving. 25th anniversary Playmate, IIRC. You can google her.

Nov 02 12 09:19 pm Link

Photographer

John Photography

Posts: 12958

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia

Orca Bay Images wrote:

Andialu wrote:
http://i2.listal.com/image/67362/600full-candy-loving.jpg

Candy Loving. 25th anniversary Playmate, IIRC. You can google her.

I'm just loving the big hair... "goes off to google"

Nov 02 12 09:33 pm Link

Photographer

Music N Pics

Posts: 352

San Diego, California, US

Mexican candy!! Chamoy!!!

Nov 03 12 12:57 am Link

Model

Misty R H

Posts: 471

Anaheim, California, US

I loved getting Bottle Caps off the ice cream truck. Of course, I got ice cream too, but I licked the Bottle Caps

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/candy-crate_2232_612536409

Nov 03 12 11:07 pm Link

Photographer

Digital Photo PLUS

Posts: 5503

Lorton, Virginia, US

http://tomskit.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/glenlivet_12.jpg

Nov 04 12 12:05 pm Link

Photographer

John Photography

Posts: 12958

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia

Anyone remember these?

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8300/7785901294_ce2692d015_z.jpg

Nov 13 12 04:19 am Link

Photographer

Damon Banner

Posts: 85305

Hayward, California, US

now n laters, lemonheads, cherry/grape heads

(basically, all the candy you could buy for 5 cents a box/pack)

Nov 13 12 09:22 am Link

Model

Kelli

Posts: 24344

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Sour gummy worms.

Now my mouth is watering.

Nov 13 12 09:24 am Link

Photographer

BrooklynHill

Posts: 4790

Los Angeles, California, US

Now n' Laters or "NaLaters"

Nov 13 12 02:05 pm Link

Photographer

Orca Bay Images

Posts: 32233

Lodi, California, US

Eye of Sicari wrote:
Cracker Jacks when they had "real" Toy Surprises

AdelaideJohn1967 wrote:
Never heard of those, what were they, and what do you mean real toys?

Up until the 1970s, I think, Cracker Jacks used to have a variety of toys, from little plastic figures and whistles to mini-models that you had to assemble. They also had food-color tattoos on paper and mini comic books, but consumer advocates got on Cracker Jacks for the many toys with small pieces that could pose a hazard to kids.

http://www.blippee.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/cracker-jack-toy-prizes-past-1.jpg

http://image.timepassagesnostalgia.com/watermarked/images66/6622cjplastic4x30.jpg

Nov 13 12 02:22 pm Link

Photographer

John Photography

Posts: 12958

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia

Orca Bay Images wrote:

Eye of Sicari wrote:
Cracker Jacks when they had "real" Toy Surprises

Up until the 1970s, I think, Cracker Jacks used to have a variety of toys, from little plastic figures and whistles to mini-models that you had to assemble. They also had food-color tattoos on paper and mini comic books, but consumer advocates got on Cracker Jacks for the many toys with small pieces that could pose a hazard to kids.

http://www.blippee.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/cracker-jack-toy-prizes-past-1.jpg

http://image.timepassagesnostalgia.com/watermarked/images66/6622cjplastic4x30.jpg

OMG that's some collection. You know some of that stuff is worth good money.

That's what I meant about Kinder Eggs in the good old days, meaning for me around the late 80s to mid 90s when I was just entering adulthood........Some of the things you used to get were quite intricate and I had friends who had amassed big collections of the more useful items like the model planes and even some trains and stuff you had to assemble.

Now Kinder eggs are a bit of a disappointment now. I show some of the kids in my family the stuff I still have and their eyes light up.... "we don't get that stuff"

Nov 13 12 08:13 pm Link

Clothing Designer

Chain Reaction

Posts: 529

Grand Rapids, Michigan, US

salvatori. wrote:
http://i2.listal.com/image/67362/600full-candy-loving.jpg

Candy Loving. What a name. Yup. I agree, but I never tasted her...

Nov 13 12 08:16 pm Link

Model

Fifi

Posts: 58133

Annapolis, Maryland, US

I wasn't allowed to eat candy that much growing up because I have severe ADHD, but when I did eat candy, I was all about these:

http://cdn.frugalcouponliving.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/Haribo-Gummy-Bears-Bag.jpg?9d7bd4

http://naturallyalise.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/chick-o-stick.jpg

http://rakstagemom.files.wordpress.com/2010/11/movies-toblerone-trio1.jpg

Nov 13 12 08:24 pm Link

Photographer

John Jebbia

Posts: 27614

Phoenix, Arizona, US

http://contemporarycritique.files.wordpress.com/2011/08/abba-zabba.jpg

Nov 13 12 08:27 pm Link

Photographer

dgwilson photography

Posts: 113

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Ganong Chicken Bones:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3221/3153583935_f77beea58a.jpg

Hmmm. Nothing says 'Christmas' like chicken bones. smile

Nov 13 12 08:29 pm Link

Model

Jacquelyn Marie

Posts: 4157

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Fifth Avenue candy bars and runts!

Nov 13 12 08:46 pm Link

Photographer

Orca Bay Images

Posts: 32233

Lodi, California, US

Fifi wrote:
I wasn't allowed to eat candy that much growing up because I have severe ADHD, but when I did eat candy, I was all about these:

http://cdn.frugalcouponliving.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/Haribo-Gummy-Bears-Bag.jpg?9d7bd4

http://naturallyalise.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/chick-o-stick.jpg

http://rakstagemom.files.wordpress.com/2010/11/movies-toblerone-trio1.jpg

Love those.

I still grab some Haribo gummy bears, Toblerone and Big Hunk -- another childhood favorite -- at the dollar store on occasion.

Nov 13 12 08:59 pm Link

Photographer

Orca Bay Images

Posts: 32233

Lodi, California, US

When I was an Army brat in Germany in the very early '60s, we got lots of creative candy. My favorite was a clear-candy-filled clam shell (real shell) with a toy embedded in the candy. The only way to get the toy was to lick the candy out. Took all day.

Nov 13 12 09:13 pm Link

Photographer

William Kious

Posts: 8841

Delphos, Ohio, US

AdelaideJohn1967 wrote:
OMG OMG OMG I remember those.......... Shame you can't still get them thanks to the do gooders....

Candy cigs are still produced... the gum and candy ones.

Nov 13 12 09:19 pm Link

Photographer

John Photography

Posts: 12958

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia

William Kious wrote:

They are still being produced.

I know......In places like Holland and such. You can order them in boxes of 100.. But over here in Australia banned because wait for it "it might encourage one to smoke for realz"

Nov 13 12 09:20 pm Link

Photographer

William Kious

Posts: 8841

Delphos, Ohio, US

My favorite:

http://stash.norml.org/wp-content/uploads/bottle-caps-pg.jpg

Although, they aren't quite the same as they used to be. hmm

Nov 13 12 09:22 pm Link

Photographer

William Kious

Posts: 8841

Delphos, Ohio, US

AdelaideJohn1967 wrote:

I know......In places like Holland and such. You can order them in boxes of 100.. But over here in Australia banned because wait for it "it might encourage one to smoke for realz"

I'd send you some if I could. The local grocery store sold them for 25 cents a box. LOL!

Nov 13 12 09:23 pm Link

Photographer

John Photography

Posts: 12958

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia

William Kious wrote:
I'd send you some if I could. The local grocery store sold them for 25 cents a box. LOL!

Thanks but they're on the list of banned imports, but thanks for the thought.

Nov 13 12 09:45 pm Link

Photographer

Vector 38

Posts: 8296

Austin, Texas, US

Looknsee Photography wrote:
What was your favorite candy growing up?

from America: Reese's Peanut Butter Cups & Junior Mints ...

Nov 13 12 09:51 pm Link

Photographer

RINALDI

Posts: 2543

Eindhoven, Noord-Brabant, Netherlands

Gummi bears, candy necklaces and something I forgot the name of, maybe any of you can help me on this:

It looks like an ammunition holder and the candy droplets go inside, stacked to the top. At the bottom a small spring pushes the candy upwards. At the top it can be anything from an animals head to something like a clown, you push the back of the head down, the mouth opens and the droplet is pushed out.

So you buy the thing ones, and after that buy the refills.

Nov 14 12 07:28 am Link

Photographer

Damon Banner

Posts: 85305

Hayward, California, US

RINALDI wrote:
Gummi bears, candy necklaces and something I forgot the name of, maybe any of you can help me on this:

It looks like an ammunition holder and the candy droplets go inside, stacked to the top. At the bottom a small spring pushes the candy upwards. At the top it can be anything from an animals head to something like a clown, you push the back of the head down, the mouth opens and the droplet is pushed out.

So you buy the thing ones, and after that buy the refills.

pez

Nov 14 12 07:36 am Link

Photographer

LensFlair

Posts: 718

Kenosha, Wisconsin, US

Two of my favorites that haven't been mentioned.

http://www.lucyscandy.com/images/uploads/bun_vanilla.jpg

http://www.oldtimecandy.com/assets/images/category/zotz-candy.jpg

Nov 14 12 07:53 am Link

Photographer

RINALDI

Posts: 2543

Eindhoven, Noord-Brabant, Netherlands

Damon Banner wrote:

pez

Hahaha yeahhhh, thank you tongue

http://www.retroland.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/pez_candy_650x300_a01_11030.jpg

Nov 14 12 07:59 am Link

Model

angel emily

Posts: 1020

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Those caramel circles with the cream center.

Nov 14 12 08:05 am Link

Photographer

James S

Posts: 869

Spokane Valley, Washington, US

caramels, mounds, almond joy, reese's pb cups

Nov 14 12 11:31 am Link

Photographer

Orca Bay Images

Posts: 32233

Lodi, California, US

RINALDI wrote:

Hahaha yeahhhh, thank you tongue

http://www.retroland.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/pez_candy_650x300_a01_11030.jpg

Pez dispensers were originally developed to dispense medication.

I suppose in a way they're still serving that purpose.

Nov 14 12 02:06 pm Link

Photographer

John Photography

Posts: 12958

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia

This thread made me hungry for sweets and stuff....... Has anyone else had that happen? smile

Nov 14 12 04:32 pm Link

Photographer

Orca Bay Images

Posts: 32233

Lodi, California, US

AdelaideJohn1967 wrote:
This thread made me hungry for sweets and stuff....... Has anyone else had that happen? smile

Oh HELL yeah. I'm going to the market this evening.

If only they had some Candy Loving.

Nov 14 12 04:48 pm Link