This thread was locked on 2012-11-07 08:28:04 by JLC Images. Reason: Trainwreck
Forums > Critique > Diamond in the Rough? Or Underappreciated beauty?

Model

Pretty Kimmy

Posts: 80

Tempe, Arizona, US

Hello everyone on llamamayhem.com!

I am one of the newest members of this community, and I made this thread for several purposes: to network, to learn, and to progress!! I am looking to connect and have a general discussion about things newbies to the scene show know, master, and be wary of.

Please give me, my page, my work, and anything else that catches your eye an overall critique. I FULLY ENCOURAGE YOU to add me, check out my webpage and give me your brutally honest opinions, thoughts, compliments, and criticism. I am here to grow as an industry professional and definitely make invaluable connects with real people who care (and not scam artists).


My back story:

I am a 21 year old journalism major turned llama from NYC. I was always unsure of which direction I should take my life, but not too long ago it became clear that I am a natural born entertainer, dying to take flight and soar in her entertainment dreams! Acting, singing, dancing, and writing are just a few of my many creative passions.

I joined llamamayhem.com to meet more professionals in the llamaing and entertainment industry, and also to find local or distant work. In a nutshell, I am broadening my horizons, accepting mentors, and am definitely open to making new, exciting friendships.



Lastly, do you have any tips or advice for a petite, new llama like myself? How can I use this site to hone in on my skills, and find niche?

I really haven't had too much luck meeting people who want to discuss their journey, trials, and tribulations here. I hope this thread can help clear the fog on navigating through the hazy road to success here at llamamayhem.com!

Thank you for reading, now fire away!!

Peace, love, unity, respect. -Kimberley Elle

EDIT: PLEASE, NO TROLLING. I made this post to get feedback from everyone that will help me better myself, however name calling and bitterness is not welcome here. If you do not care about me, I will care even less about your input.

EDIT 2: It's Election Day! I just voted, and am very confident in my choice :-)

Why are there so many trolling this thread instead of casting ballots and being productive?? Freedom of speech is encouraged but being spiteful isn't... So far, I've gotten a lot of negativity from some of this threads participants and many posters. Most of what was said is incredibly opinionated, and as the OP I would like to advise future commenters to stay on topic, be precise about what you are referring to and to ignore the hate.

Nov 05 12 02:04 pm Link

Photographer

B R U N E S C I

Posts: 25319

Bath, England, United Kingdom

Duplicate threads are evil.

http://www.modelmayhem.com/po.php?thread_id=865411
http://www.modelmayhem.com/po.php?thread_id=865412

Or are you actually looking for a critique?




Just my $0.02

Ciao
Stefano

www.stefanobrunesci.com

Nov 05 12 02:08 pm Link

Photographer

Orca Bay Images

Posts: 32234

Woodinville, Washington, US

For starters, how can you rate yourself as Very Experienced if you're a new model? Your portfolio most definitely suggests very little experience.

You're trying WAY too hard in your profile. Cut back on the chaff. For example, what good will your singing and award-winning writing skills be on the set? And you say that you can provide stunning images, but your portfolio doesn't include any. As for how dazzling and diamond-like you are, let the photographers and casting folks decide that.

Work with better photographers.
Develop your posing skills.
Expand your range of expression. Currently you have no such range.

Nov 05 12 02:37 pm Link

Model

Ava Catherine

Posts: 167

Scottsdale, Arizona, US

Uh... *cough*, erm...
petite?

Nov 05 12 02:42 pm Link

Photographer

Orca Bay Images

Posts: 32234

Woodinville, Washington, US

Ava Catherine wrote:
Uh... *cough*, erm...
petite?

Perhaps in terms of height.

Nov 05 12 02:43 pm Link

Model

Christopher Meadows

Posts: 147

Lynchburg, Virginia, US

Orca Bay Images wrote:
For starters, how can you rate yourself as Very Experienced if you're a new model? Your portfolio most definitely suggests very little experience.

You're trying WAY too hard in your profile. Cut back on the chaff. For example, what good will your singing and award-winning writing skills be on the set? And you say that you can provide stunning images, but your portfolio doesn't include any. As for how dazzling and diamond-like you are, let the photographers and casting folks decide that.

Work with better photographers.
Develop your posing skills.
Expand your range of expression. Currently you have no such range.

+1

Is this real?

Nov 05 12 03:21 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Posts: 19225

Chicago, Illinois, US

Its easy too say work with better photographers but not so easy if they charge a lot or aren't interested.    Kim, I'd start by finding clothing that complements your shape and figure.   The outfits you are wearing don't.   If your budget is limited check out local thrift stores.    You have a radiant smile but and please don't take this too be mean you may want to start working out.   Modelling is a field where being fit can he helpful.   That's not too say you don't have a good figure now of course.   

As your portfolio gets better and you have more good photos remove doubles.   Meaning you only need one shot in any of the same outfit from the same session.   Good luck!

Nov 05 12 03:32 pm Link

Photographer

Orca Bay Images

Posts: 32234

Woodinville, Washington, US

Tony Lawrence wrote:
Its easy too say work with better photographers but not so easy if they charge a lot or aren't interested.

I don't suggest it blithely, but when a really raw beginner posts images like these:
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/121102/05/5093bc262e32c_m.jpghttp://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/121102/05/5093bf57b2d77_m.jpghttp://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/121102/05/5093bbd03b77d_m.jpg
...she damned well needs to work with better photographers. A pretty new dress isn't going to fix shots like that.

And, yes, a model who's not exactly built like an SI swimsuit model and has almost no modeling chops may well need to pay to work with a competent photographer.

Nov 05 12 03:43 pm Link

guide forum

Photographer

Rays Fine Art

Posts: 6329

New York, New York, US

Kimberly--

You see what not reading the stickies gets you?  Please check out my response under your duplicate thread "Model Mentorship"

Nov 05 12 03:51 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Posts: 19225

Chicago, Illinois, US

Orca Bay Images wrote:

I don't suggest it blithely, but when a really raw beginner posts images like these:
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/121102/05/5093bc262e32c_m.jpghttp://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/121102/05/5093bf57b2d77_m.jpghttp://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/121102/05/5093bbd03b77d_m.jpg
...she damned well needs to work with better photographers. A pretty new dress isn't going to fix shots like that.

And, yes, a model who's not exactly built like an SI swimsuit model and has almost no modeling chops may well need to pay to work with a competent photographer.

No argument from me but she she may be limited in who wants to shoot with her or those she can afford to pay.   She can however start with better outfits and shaping up.   Another issue is how will she know what exactly a better shot means.

Nov 05 12 03:57 pm Link

Model

TinRoses

Posts: 188

Wellington, Florida, US

Kimberly,

You're considered a "Petite Plus Size Model". This is a VERY tough category to work in as many times plus size women need to be 5'8+++ to model... It's a relatively new niche to break into and there are many talented women who are already starting to dominate the field by pushing for it. Petite Plus models are "real women" by some designer standards.

That being said... It's a MAJOR dog eat dog world out there. Not every short heavy woman is meant to be a petite plus model.

Now.

As for a critique.

Get.rid.of.everything.in.your.port.in.that.pink.dress.

Work with an MUA or retouch artist to smooth out your under arms. The darkness attributed to having hair under there is a problem for A LOT o dark haired women, but needs to be touched up for a smooth, flawless look.

Stand in font of a mirror and learn how to hold your mouth and eyes. Your mouth, while lovely in shape, is very awkward in many of your shots. You HAVE to figure out your face because that is the STRONGEST part of modeling. So figure out expressions, figure out how to work them in collaboration with strong poses.

Other than that? Work on toning up a little bit. Firm up your arms and legs and belly.

You have potential! Work it!

and yes... kill the chaff in your profile.

Nov 05 12 06:42 pm Link

Photographer

Mark

Posts: 2893

New York, New York, US

hehehe

Nov 05 12 09:38 pm Link

Photographer

B R U N E S C I

Posts: 25319

Bath, England, United Kingdom

TinRoses wrote:
You're considered a "Petite Plus Size Model". This is a VERY tough category to work in as many times plus size women need to be 5'8+++ to model... It's a relatively new niche to break into and there are many talented women who are already starting to dominate the field by pushing for it. Petite Plus models are "real women" by some designer standards.-

I have to assume this is an attempt at humour. So, lol

OP, read www.newmodels.com - twice.





Ciao
Stefano

www.stefanobrunesci.com

Nov 05 12 10:08 pm Link

Photographer

Dan OMell

Posts: 1335

Ufa, Bashkortostan, Russia

I want to be an astronaut, but I don't pester NASA by my requests.

Forget about modeling, and enjoy your life. There is no chance in hell you can survive by modeling.
You're welcome.

Nov 05 12 10:18 pm Link

Model

Pretty Kimmy

Posts: 80

Tempe, Arizona, US

Orca Bay Images wrote:
You're trying WAY too hard in your profile. Cut back on the chaff. For example, what good will your singing and award-winning writing skills be on the set? And you say that you can provide stunning images, but your portfolio doesn't include any. As for how dazzling and diamond-like you are, let the photographers and casting folks decide that.

Work with better photographers.
Develop your posing skills.
Expand your range of expression. Currently you have no such range.

Thank you for your pessimisticconstructive criticism, however I am going to have to politely disagree with you. You make me laugh.

Your comments give me a glimpse into who you are, and that knowledge alone strips you of any credibility. I am an individual, I don't let others decide my fate or how I view myself. What makes you think that I really care about your opinion on how "hard" I am trying on my profile?

Maybe you are an underachiever, but my dynamic personality always drives me to impress and go above and beyond with anything I do. That includes taking about my dazzling, dynamic, multifaceted personality.

This is a networking site buddy, get with the program. Don't come on internet message boards hiding behind your computer trying to bring down someone because you are too narrow minded.

Nov 06 12 05:51 am Link

Model

Pretty Kimmy

Posts: 80

Tempe, Arizona, US

TinRoses wrote:
Kimberly,

You're considered a "Petite Plus Size llama". This is a VERY tough category to work in as many times plus size women need to be 5'8    to llama... It's a relatively new niche to break into and there are many talented women who are already starting to dominate the field by pushing for it. Petite Plus llamas are "real women" by some designer standards.

That being said... It's a MAJOR dog eat dog world out there. Not every short heavy woman is meant to be a petite plus llama.

Now.

As for a critique.

Get.rid.of.everything.in.your.port.in.that.pink.dress.

Work with an MUA or retouch artist to smooth out your under arms. The darkness attributed to having hair under there is a problem for A LOT o dark haired women, but needs to be touched up for a smooth, flawless look.

Stand in font of a mirror and learn how to hold your mouth and eyes. Your mouth, while lovely in shape, is very awkward in many of your shots. You HAVE to figure out your face because that is the STRONGEST part of llamaing. So figure out expressions, figure out how to work them in collaboration with strong poses.

Other than that? Work on toning up a little bit. Firm up your arms and legs and belly.

You have potential! Work it!

and yes... kill the chaff in your profile.

Hi sugar, I definitely will be working it. I already know I need better photogs, that is why I joined the site (derp). But thanks for commenting.

I hate to burst your bubble into a thousand little sad pieces of forced delusion, but I am definitely not a plus size llama. Since I am under 5'7", I am classified as petite in height. But you, you clearly are plus size (or attempting to be). Can you not see the differences in your and my body types? I am a size 4. Sorry honey.

But, here, let me google those for you so you do not continue this line of flawed logic....
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=plus size model 
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=petite model

Nov 06 12 06:01 am Link

Photographer

Blue Ash Film Group

Posts: 9545

Cincinnati, Ohio, US

Wow! This is not going to end well.

Nov 06 12 06:03 am Link

Photographer

SPRINGHEEL

Posts: 38195

Gibraltar, Michigan, US

Blue Ash Film Group wrote:
Wow! This is not going to end well.

So far, its absolutely wonderful

Nov 06 12 06:04 am Link

Model

Pretty Kimmy

Posts: 80

Tempe, Arizona, US

Dan OMell wrote:
I want to be an astronaut, but I don't pester NASA by my requests.

Forget about llamaing, and enjoy your life. There is no chance in hell you can survive by llamaing.
You're welcome.

Hi Dan. Sorry. I will cannot forget about something that makes me as happy as llamaing. I am a natural born entertainer, and I am achieving my dreams while pursuing higher education. I decided to take my hobby seriously when I started getting paid hundreds of dollars for my time. So piss off. I am doing more than surviving.

I do have empathy and pity for you since you clearly limited yourself at an early age, and now you are just some bitter old guy trying to impose your pessimistic outlook on life on young people like myself. Get over yourself! People like you make me cringe whilst being incredibly sad for them.

If you really want to be an astronaut-- go for it! In fact, we need you there! NASA is tanking and we could have done soo much more with space exploration since the '60s but somewhere en route America became derailed. Maybe it was the Cold War. Maybe it was AIDS. Quite frankly, it probably has a lot more to do with a national presence of individuals like you who are clearly going through a crisis of confidence...

Nov 06 12 06:12 am Link

Photographer

kevjohn Photography

Posts: 38

Tallahassee, Florida, US

Kimberley Elodie wrote:

Hi sugar, I definitely will be working it. I already know I need better photogs, that is why I joined the site (derp). But thanks for commenting.

I hate to burst your bubble into a thousand little sad pieces of forced delusion, but I am definitely not a plus size model. Since I am under 5'7", I am classified as petite in height. But you, you clearly are plus size (or attempting to be). Can you not see the differences in your and my body types? I am a size 4. Sorry honey.

But, here, let me google those for you so you do not continue this line of flawed logic....
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=plus+size+model 
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=petite+model

I have no response for this that will not get me kicked off this site. O.o

Nov 06 12 06:12 am Link

Photographer

B R U N E S C I

Posts: 25319

Bath, England, United Kingdom

Kimberley Elodie wrote:
I hate to burst your bubble into a thousand little sad pieces of forced delusion, but I am definitely not a plus size model. Since I am under 5'7", I am classified as petite in height. But you, you clearly are plus size (or attempting to be). Can you not see the differences in your and my body types? I am a size 4. Sorry honey.

But, here, let me google those for you so you do not continue this line of flawed logic....
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=plus+size+model 
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=petite+model

popcorn

You may be classified as 'petite' in height. But as there is really no such thing as a "petite model", you certainly aren't one of those.

Or you could be I guess... in your dreams... which you seem to rely heavily on big_smile

Oh, and size 4 what? I think your tape measure may be lying to you because I've never seen a 130lb woman with 25" hips!




Ciao
Stefano

www.stefanobrunesci.com

Nov 06 12 06:12 am Link

Model

Pretty Kimmy

Posts: 80

Tempe, Arizona, US

SPRINGHEEL wrote:

So far, its absolutely wonderful

It just sucks how some people think they can do and say whatever they want on the internet, just because there are no social repercussions for online misconduct...  Yes, I completely understand how this is a world where everyone is anonymous, but lying and being an asshole just makes that individual's classless ways come to light more than it would in real life. So sad.

Nov 06 12 06:16 am Link

Photographer

B R U N E S C I

Posts: 25319

Bath, England, United Kingdom

Kimberley Elodie wrote:
It just sucks how some people think they can do and say whatever they want on the internet.

Quoted for irony, from the "size 4 petite plus sized" llama!  big_smile

Kimberley Elodie wrote:
I am a natural born entertainer.

True that.



Ciao
Stefano

www.stefanobrunesci.com

Nov 06 12 06:17 am Link

Model

Pretty Kimmy

Posts: 80

Tempe, Arizona, US

kevjohn Photography wrote:
I have no response for this that will not get me kicked off this site. O.o

What kind of response do you have? She clearly was wrong, I corrected her. Not that serious. You gotta learn to laugh at yourself sometimes!

Nov 06 12 06:18 am Link

Model

Pretty Kimmy

Posts: 80

Tempe, Arizona, US

-B-R-U-N-E-S-C-I- wrote:

Quoted for irony, from the "size 4 petite plus sized" model!  big_smile




Ciao
Stefano

www.stefanobrunesci.com

Sorry.. I don't get the joke? No irony there, I am a size 4 pants size and size 4-6 dress.. mainly because of my lovely, naturally busty boobies.

Nov 06 12 06:20 am Link

Photographer

Sam Dixon

Posts: 279

Fayetteville, North Carolina, US

She writes:
"Please give me, my page, my work, and anything else that catches your eye an overall critique. I FULLY ENCOURAGE YOU to add me, check out my webpage and give me your brutally honest opinions, thoughts, compliments, and criticism."

But then gets offended when people give her those opinions and critiques.

Don't ask for something if you can't handle the responses.

Nov 06 12 06:24 am Link

Photographer

B R U N E S C I

Posts: 25319

Bath, England, United Kingdom

Kimberley Elodie wrote:
Sorry.. I don't get the joke?

You accuse people of writing whatever they want because this is the internet.

And yet, almost everything you've written so far has been palpable nonsense mixed with a large dollop of fantasy.

So no, no irony there.....




Ciao
Stefano

www.stefanobrunesci.com

Nov 06 12 06:25 am Link

Model

Pretty Kimmy

Posts: 80

Tempe, Arizona, US

-B-R-U-N-E-S-C-I- wrote:

You accuse people of writing whatever they want because this is the internet.

And yet, almost everything you've written so far has been palpable nonsense mixed with a large dollop of fantasy.

So no, no irony there.....




Ciao
Stefano

www.stefanobrunesci.com

Lol? Nothing I write on my page is false. Why are you making such harsh accusations? I am sorry that you have never met someone that looks like me.My body, looks, and talents are incredibly unique... a key trait that makes anyone stand out from the crowd.

Nov 06 12 06:28 am Link

Photographer

B R U N E S C I

Posts: 25319

Bath, England, United Kingdom

Kimberley Elodie wrote:
My body, looks, and talents are incredibly unique... a key trait that makes anyone stand out from the crowd.

ok....

Please note that I'm trying very hard to adhere to the "Be nice to newbies" and "Don't feed the trolls" rules.

Others may not be so considerate.



Ciao
Stefano

www.stefanobrunesci.com

Nov 06 12 06:29 am Link

Model

Pretty Kimmy

Posts: 80

Tempe, Arizona, US

Sam Dixon  wrote:
She writes:
"Please give me, my page, my work, and anything else that catches your eye an overall critique. I FULLY ENCOURAGE YOU to add me, check out my webpage and give me your brutally honest opinions, thoughts, compliments, and criticism."

But then gets offended when people give her those opinions and critiques.

Don't ask for something if you can't handle the responses.

Hi Sam, here is some clarity: I invited the commentary so of course I can handle it. I am not in the least bit offended, rather I am just saddened at the ignorance and the clearly omnipresent crisis of confidence in some of our fellow users. I am an educator (I have been tutoring since I got out of high school) so I usually try to help those who are wrong then abandon them with hate in the ignorance. Thanks for your comment though.

Nov 06 12 06:31 am Link

Photographer

Ex Voto Studio

Posts: 4983

Columbia, Maryland, US

Kimberley Elodie wrote:
Hi sugar, I definitely will be working it. I already know I need better photogs, that is why I joined the site (derp). But thanks for commenting.

I hate to burst your bubble into a thousand little sad pieces of forced delusion, but I am definitely not a plus size llama. Since I am under 5'7", I am classified as petite in height. But you, you clearly are plus size (or attempting to be). Can you not see the differences in your and my body types? I am a size 4. Sorry honey.

But, here, let me google those for you so you do not continue this line of flawed logic....
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=plus size model 
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=petite model

Sorry but I am just going to say it.  You started this thread asking for help and suggestions.  The very first one was good but since you did not want to see or accept the truth and you want to argue with it.  You say you will not rely on others to make your dreams come true but others is exactly what you need in entertainment.  You need people that believe in you enough to manage and rep you (not to mention pay you). 

As for your reply above:  You are short and could stand to do some trimming.
You are actually not even close to being a plus size llama. You like google so use it to find out why.  There is no way you are petite in this world other that your height...and that is not a plus in the llamaing world.   Your posing could certainly use a lot of help along with your emoting.  If you are here to try and get some images for your singing or anything like that it would be more realistic than llamaing. 

There is a difference between dreams and unrealistic expectations when relying on an industry to help you.  You have to stand out in a crowd (in a good way). 

Sorry to be brutally honest but that IS what you asked for in your OP and while I would not have posted it anyway.... your replies to others in this thread just makes you look like you know nothing of this industry.

All the best to you sincerely,
-troy

Nov 06 12 06:33 am Link

Photographer

In Balance Photography

Posts: 3372

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Kimberley Elodie wrote:

Hi Sam, here is some clarity: I invited the commentary so of course I can handle it. I am not in the least bit offended, rather I am just saddened at the ignorance and the clearly omnipresent crisis of confidence in some of our fellow users. I am an educator (I have been tutoring since I got out of high school) so I usually try to help those who are wrong then abandon them with hate in the ignorance. Thanks for your comment though.

If you like to model, by all means model. However, be prepared to use the earnings from tutoring to pay for your hobby.

Nov 06 12 06:33 am Link

Model

Pretty Kimmy

Posts: 80

Tempe, Arizona, US

-B-R-U-N-E-S-C-I- wrote:

popcorn

You may be classified as 'petite' in height. But as there is really no such thing as a "petite model", you certainly aren't one of those.

Or you could be I guess... in your dreams... which you seem to rely heavily on big_smile

Oh, and size 4 what? I think your tape measure may be lying to you because I've never seen a 130lb woman with 25" hips!




Ciao
Stefano

www.stefanobrunesci.com

So to reiterate, I am a size 4 pants, size 4-6 dress. My current measurements are 34-28-35 ; I went to check what you were talking about and it was a typo. But thanks for drawing my attention to that typo on my site!

Nov 06 12 06:35 am Link

Photographer

J Gagnon

Posts: 806

Manchester, New Hampshire, US

Kimberly,

Hi there! First off, no one was attempting to be mean. You asked for a critique and you are getting one. These people who took their time to respond to your photos and portfolio are people who have experience in the field you have a passion for. Insulting them isnt a wise idea.

Someone mentioned something about a petite plus model? That doesnt really exist. There are plus models and petite models, neither of which is you. These are based around strict industry standards that have nothing to do with anyone on this forums personal beliefs. You are shorter than typical commercial and fashion models, and slightly heavier. This is obvious not only from your stats but also from your photos. This is a tough industry and you have to have thick skin. Nothing is saying you wont make a great actress or singer, or performer of some sort... that may be your avenue... but modeling may be a little difficult beyond being a hobby.

Best of luck however.

Josh

Nov 06 12 06:41 am Link

Model

Pretty Kimmy

Posts: 80

Tempe, Arizona, US

Ex Voto  Studio wrote:

Sorry but I am just going to say it.  You started this thread asking for help and suggestions.  The very first one was good but since you did not want to see or accept the truth and you want to argue with it.  You say you will not rely on others to make your dreams come true but others is exactly what you need in entertainment.  You need people that believe in you enough to manage and rep you (not to mention pay you). 

As for your reply above:  You are short and could stand to do some trimming.
You are actually not even close to being a plus size model. You like google so use it to find out why.  There is no way you are petite in this world other that your height...and that is not a plus in the modeling world.   Your posing could certainly use a lot of help along with your emoting.  If you are here to try and get some images for your singing or anything like that it would be more realistic than modeling. 

There is a difference between dreams and unrealistic expectations when relying on an industry to help you.  You have to stand out in a crowd (in a good way). 

Sorry to be brutally honest but that IS what you asked for in your OP and while I would not have posted it anyway.... your replies to others in this thread just makes you look like you know nothing of this industry.

All the best to you sincerely,
-troy

Hi Troy, thanks for the comment. To reiterate what was stated in the original post, I am here for growth, networking, and to expand. Obviously I need to work with others to achieve my goals, but I think where you started morphing my message is where I stated that I do not allow others to create my fate: what I meant was that I will gravitate towards those who care about my career going forward and deviate from those who want to close doors. Obviously anything that happens in this industry is a collective effort on many parties.

My goals are very realistic, especially since I have a lot of what traditional models had when they were starting out: the want and desire to evolve into something great. Who said I was a plus size model? I would be classified as a petite model in height since I am under 5'7". Plus size is at size 10 or 12 to something like size 18. I wouldn't know because I am not in that demographic...

Nov 06 12 06:46 am Link

Photographer

GER Photography

Posts: 7956

Imperial, California, US

It's like the first week of Idol around here sometimes!

Nov 06 12 06:47 am Link

Photographer

Karl Blessing

Posts: 30853

Grand Rapids, Michigan, US

Arguing with your respondents in a critique post... that tends to end well.

PS: If you're self-admitantly new... it helps not to argue with the actual experienced people on the boards, makes you look silly. I agree with most of the responses above regarding the quality of your work.

Nov 06 12 06:48 am Link

Photographer

J Gagnon

Posts: 806

Manchester, New Hampshire, US

Kimberley Elodie wrote:
My goals are very realistic, especially since I have a lot of what traditional models had when they were starting out: the want and desire to evolve into something great. Who said I was a plus size model? I would be classified as a petite model in height since I am under 5'7". Plus size is at size 10 or 12 to something like size 18. I wouldn't know because I am not in that demographic...

you are not a petite model in height... petite models still maintain a height of at least 5'7" in most circumstances. And plus models are very different than plus sizes. I believe plus modeling starts at size 6

Nov 06 12 06:50 am Link

Model

Pretty Kimmy

Posts: 80

Tempe, Arizona, US

J Gagnon wrote:
Kimberly,

Hi there! First off, no one was attempting to be mean. You asked for a critique and you are getting one. These people who took their time to respond to your photos and portfolio are people who have experience in the field you have a passion for. Insulting them isnt a wise idea.

Someone mentioned something about a petite plus model? That doesnt really exist. There are plus models and petite models, neither of which is you. These are based around strict industry standards that have nothing to do with anyone on this forums personal beliefs. You are shorter than typical commercial and fashion models, and slightly heavier. This is obvious not only from your stats but also from your photos. This is a tough industry and you have to have thick skin. Nothing is saying you wont make a great actress or singer, or performer of some sort... that may be your avenue... but modeling may be a little difficult beyond being a hobby.

Best of luck however.

Josh

Hi Josh, thank you for your comment. I am sorry that anyone got offended with my responses, I choose to speak the truth when it comes to people trying to argue semantics. I didn't take anything that was said as being mean... they were definitely giving me the critique I sought for when I posted this thread so I am happy smile. And yes, I am very well aware of the fact that a 'petite plus size model' doesn't exist. It is an oxymoron at the least. Thank you for the pointers and good luck to you as well!

Nov 06 12 06:50 am Link

Model

ChristinaNAllen

Posts: 17

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I'm so confused by the measuring. I'm a size 2/4 and I'm just not seeing it...

You got lots of TRUE information (comments and suggestions) but don't want to believe or follow them. That will get you now herein this industry. Everyone that offered anything all have real portfolios and experience. Everyone is not going to just decide to lie to you...maybe it is true.

The modeling world is tough. Not everyone can do it for a reason. You are short and heavier than models are. Plus sized modeling is very hard because you need to be tall and very proportionate to carry the extra weight. If you think you aren't plus sized in the modeling world then there really is no area of modeling you'd fit into anyway....

Nothing wrong with singing and acting though.

Nov 06 12 06:51 am Link