Forums > Critique > hair retouch critique plz

Photographer

Murad rm Photography

Posts: 679

London, England, United Kingdom

hey guys,
just trying to do some hair retouch on one of my recent photos.

i am trying to create a straight flow of hair. Please let me know what you think. I guess there is still a bit more work needs to be done? would love to have some detailed critique

Just trying to figure out if the edited version looks unnatural or not?

Edited:

http://muradrmphotography.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/1.jpg

Original Hair:

http://muradrmphotography.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/2.jpg


Many thanks

Murad rm Photography
Facebook Twitter

Nov 06 12 08:32 pm Link

Model

MissLaurelle

Posts: 3532

Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Hmm I'm no photoshop wiz here but...


Hair seems dry.
You took out the highlight = bad....?

Honestly I don't find the original hair that bad
But the edited version is a bit better

Nov 06 12 08:49 pm Link

Model

MelissaAnn

Posts: 3956

Seattle, Washington, US

I don't know a whole lot about photoshop, but I like the original better.

There are a few stray hairs in the original that could be removed, but other than that, I would just leave it as is.  The hair is shinier, and the flow of it looks a lot more natural than the heavily edited version.

Regardless of what you choose, it's a beautiful image.  smile

Nov 06 12 08:53 pm Link

Photographer

T I A R A

Posts: 63

Cairns, Queensland, Australia

I'm no professional retoucher, but in my honest opinion, the edited version looks a little lack-luster.
Healthy hair is shiny.

Try giving that a whirl.
I think that you've done a good job on tidying up the placement of the hair though. smile

Nov 06 12 08:54 pm Link

Photographer

Murad rm Photography

Posts: 679

London, England, United Kingdom

MissLaurelle wrote:
Hmm I'm no photoshop wiz here but...


Hair seems dry.
You took out the highlight = bad....?

Honestly I don't find the original hair that bad
But the edited version is a bit better

thanks so i take it you prefer the edited version, yah i guess i need to bring some highlights back now

Nov 06 12 08:57 pm Link

Photographer

Murad rm Photography

Posts: 679

London, England, United Kingdom

MelissaAnn  wrote:
I don't know a whole lot about photoshop, but I like the original better.

There are a few stray hairs in the original that could be removed, but other than that, I would just leave it as is.  The hair is shinier, and the flow of it looks a lot more natural than the heavily edited version.

Regardless of what you choose, it's a beautiful image.  smile

thanks. yah really like this shot. and was shooting in such a rush didnt have time to get the hair done properly
ahh i see. my flatmate had the same opinion, But i am trying to get rid of the messy hair without making it unnatural?

Nov 06 12 08:59 pm Link

Photographer

Murad rm Photography

Posts: 679

London, England, United Kingdom

Tiara Seccombe wrote:
I'm no professional retoucher, but in my honest opinion, the edited version looks a little lack-luster.
Healthy hair is shiny.

Try giving that a whirl.
I think that you've done a good job on tidying up the placement of the hair though. smile

thanks, so will the edited version work better if i make the hair a bit more shiny i guess?

Nov 06 12 09:01 pm Link

Model

Sandra Vixen

Posts: 1108

Los Angeles, California, US

No, I thought the first one looked great, but all hair looks "unnatural" when styled. Just my opinion, nothing wrong with "unnatural".

I think you need to colorize (saturate) it a bit more.

Nov 06 12 11:42 pm Link

Photographer

john_ellis

Posts: 4375

Spokane, Washington, US

Murad  rm Photography wrote:
thanks, so will the edited version work better if i make the hair a bit more shiny i guess?

I think a good option would be a composite with a separate shot of straight, shiny hair.

You did a good job with the blending, so I think you could really pull this off as a composite with better, believable results.

Just a thought.

Nov 06 12 11:47 pm Link

Photographer

Murad rm Photography

Posts: 679

London, England, United Kingdom

hey, thanks everyone..

Just made an update on the hair with all your suggestions, how is it looking now?

http://muradrmphotography.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/3.jpg

Nov 07 12 10:11 am Link

Photographer

The Effective Image

Posts: 3957

Lansing, Michigan, US

IMHO, the hair looks a bit too uniform... hair has highlights, variations, depth, etc. A lot of that seems to have gotten 'lost'.

Maybe the approach should be to create a diversion so that viewers aren't focusing on her hair. The image lacks 'pop'. Maybe brighten it up a bit and throw the viewers eye on her exposed eye. Then the hair doesn't matter so much.

Just my opinion.

Nov 07 12 04:34 pm Link

Photographer

T I A R A

Posts: 63

Cairns, Queensland, Australia

Murad  rm Photography wrote:

thanks, so will the edited version work better if i make the hair a bit more shiny i guess?

Yes I think that if you can retain the shine that the original has, yet still keep the hair tidy like what you've done, it will look much better. At the moment, the hair looks lifeless and a little like a wig.

Also, The Effective image made a good point:

The Effective Image wrote:
Maybe the approach should be to create a diversion so that viewers aren't focusing on her hair. The image lacks 'pop'. Maybe brighten it up a bit and throw the viewers eye on her exposed eye. Then the hair doesn't matter so much.

If her exposed eye is more vibrant and brighter, the viewers eye won't be drawn to the hair so much...

Just a thought. smile

Nov 07 12 04:49 pm Link