Forums > Critique > no models = no images

Photographer

Vic Roman

Orlando, Florida, US

Hang it up? This image is insane! In a good way.
http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/20223270

Nov 13 12 08:40 am Link

Photographer

nyk fury

Port Townsend, Washington, US

Fotografica Gregor wrote:
I would think that there are many models who would appreciate what you do.  Many of the models I shoot with, though they are fashion models, would, I think, be drawn to your work.

Perhaps you should think about finding opportunities outside of MM if that is not proving successful for you -   a conversation with the arts department of nearby universities might perhaps be fruitful.

yes, outside of MM: that is what i am considering. this is turning out to be a lot more work than i ever anticipated, and a lot more hit or miss.

Nov 13 12 08:41 am Link

Photographer

nyk fury

Looknsee Photography wrote:
...  I'm lucky -- I live in an urban center where the community is active & communicates well.  I am a big, big believer in the power of the community.  Get to know your photographers, share references with people who know you.  Further, you could arrange "events", like inviting 4 photographers & 5 models out for a weekend in the country of fun & photography.  Form relationships!  Here's a secret:  (assume that) all models talk with each other -- if you are a good guy, they'll tell their modeling friends.

...  Learn how to use capital letters.  big_smile

Good luck.

capital letters seem unnecessary to me, except for acronyms. they are like putting little shouts here and there that don't really need it.

the community aspect. i got a small peek into a bit of that a couple weeks ago, and it got me to thinking. it also got me to feeling i am so very stranded in a veritable outback.

Nov 13 12 08:49 am Link

Photographer

LittleWhiteRabbit Photo

Columbus, Ohio, US

It looks like what you want is an art model - one thing you can do is find photographers in your area that are doing fine art work and see who they use. In my area there are some models that seem to be used by a variety of artistic photographers and they have the look, creativity and intelligence to collaborate.

I love Laura New Myer - she's moving to California so maybe if she's in your area you could work w/her.  I think she's $100 an hour but she does all her own makeup and styling and she's internationally known.

http://www.modelmayhem.com/751285

Nov 13 12 09:00 am Link

Photographer

nyk fury

Lovely Day Media wrote:
The only way I know of to bring the unconscious to the conscious is to dig a little deeper and think about things on a deeper level than you (a person) has before.  If something isn't working, why isn't it working?  Has it ever worked?  If it did, did it work because it made sense or you got lucky? 

You may need to ask yourself different questions.  You may even need to do something completely different but this is what I do when I'm baffled. 

I'm not one who believes effective is always the same as attractive.  For instance, my Toyota Camry is effective.  A Ferrari F430 is attractive.  Both will get me from A to B at least sometimes, have a steering wheel, a seat, an engine and transmission but the complexity in the engineering is completely different in execution and philosophy.  They are not designed to do the same thing in the same way.

What's the definition of attractive?  Does the model have to look like someone you would marry or date?  Does she have to look like someone from your past?  We're talking in the face, size, shape, etc.  Being great at posing and/or taking direction well is important, too, but if she's automatically rejected because she doesn't look like Cindy Crawford (for instance) no matter how great a model she is (she's effective but since she doesn't look like Cindy Crawford, she's not "attractive"), I'd wonder what the issue is that drives this.

As others have said, retirement isn't desirable from my perspective, either, but one must do what one must do.

i have quite a range in tastes with regards to 'looks', though i am particularly drawn to eastern european and russian types. and i really do need non-voluptuous ["coathanger"] models to fit the designs. there is nothing personal about that, other than it being a personal aesthetic.

Nov 13 12 09:08 am Link

Photographer

nyk fury

Garry k wrote:
personally i believe that at least half the quality  of a photo ( in this genre of modelling ) has to do with the attractiveness of the  model one choses

yes, i must agree. i know others who feel that one should be able to shoot anyone and anything and make it work. i agree with that up to a point, but i also think that leads to a certain kind of homogeneity, and therefore the loss of unique vision. so, lines must be drawn, creative boundaries decided.

Nov 13 12 09:13 am Link

Photographer

Image Magik

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

nyk fury wrote:
to be precise, i am at the end of my rope. and i am seriously considering hanging up my camera, for good. i just cannot seem to find suitable models to work with. i do not expect much from posting here on MM, but think i might as well give it a shot. i was ill for awhile, and now that i am coming back around i find that things have changed or shifted, and i am seemingly out of vogue. or something. perhaps someone can give me some constructive insight or pointers about where i might look to that i currently have no comprehension of. or perhaps i should just hang it up. i really do not know. it's not an issue of money. seems that paid models are just as ambivalent as trade models, in my current experience. strange.

here are the limiting factors, that i am consciously aware of:
1. i require models who are long, lean, fit, clean [mostly], and fearless.
2. i live 2 hours NW of the nearest major urban center.
3. my work is not very glamorous.

i just declined VIP membership extension yesterday. another 100 bucks for what? so, most of my stuff resides on DA: http://kannagara.deviantart.com/gallery/

First off. No models does not equal no images. No models equals no model images. Second your work is very dark and goth which eliminates some glam models but I'm sure there are still models left that would be interested in what you do. Maybe you turning them off by what your requesting from them.

Nov 13 12 09:18 am Link

Photographer

nyk fury

Dan Dozer wrote:
I'm in a similiar situation as you are regarding location - I'm over 2 hours away from Los Angeles and there are only one or two full time experienced models near where I live.  It's pretty out of the way for models to come here from either LA or San Diego.  Many of the models I work with are full time travelling fine art models and all have been excellent to work with.  Based on your portfolio (which I really like), I can't believe that you couldn't attract models like Kiera Grant or Katy_T to work with you.

I routinely browse the travelling section to see what models are coming towards Los Angeles in the upcoming future, and contact them directly about their trips.  I suggest that you do the same regarding Seattle and I'm sure that you'll be able to find many to work with.

kiera was contacting me last year, but i was really just too ill to follow thru at that time. the thing that really got me on my last visit to seattle was just how many damn gorgeous women are out and about on the streets. i swear that i saw more potential models in a half hour there than i do in a whole year here.

Nov 13 12 09:18 am Link

Photographer

D0127H

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

nyk fury wrote:
i am seemingly out of vogue. or something.

I've never been in vogue and I know no shortage of interesting, inspiring conspirators to work with....

Nov 13 12 09:20 am Link

Photographer

LLOYD WRIGHT

Newcastle upon Tyne, England, United Kingdom

nyk fury wrote:
to be precise, i am at the end of my rope. and i am seriously considering hanging up my camera, for good. i just cannot seem to find suitable models to work with. i do not expect much from posting here on MM, but think i might as well give it a shot. i was ill for awhile, and now that i am coming back around i find that things have changed or shifted, and i am seemingly out of vogue. or something. perhaps someone can give me some constructive insight or pointers about where i might look to that i currently have no comprehension of. or perhaps i should just hang it up. i really do not know. it's not an issue of money. seems that paid models are just as ambivalent as trade models, in my current experience. strange.

i just declined VIP membership extension yesterday. another 100 bucks for what? so, most of my stuff resides on DA: http://kannagara.deviantart.com/gallery/

having just discovered you work through this thread, my opinion is that you are genuinely one of the best photographers i've seen, not just on mm!

i hope you battle through your frustrations so i can keep coming back to your work
otherwise your talent will be lost forever and photography wil be the biggest loser!

keep the faith!

cheers ears
lloyd.

Nov 13 12 09:20 am Link

Photographer

nyk fury

Vic Roman wrote:
Hang it up? This image is insane! In a good way.
http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/20223270

yeah, i am pretty happy with that, and much of the rest of the shoot. it was also a pretty expensive gig too. ideally i should be running one of those at least once a month. if i could afford to fly models out here to the end of the world.

Nov 13 12 09:24 am Link

Photographer

nyk fury

LittleWhiteRabbit Photo wrote:
It looks like what you want is an art model - one thing you can do is find photographers in your area that are doing fine art work and see who they use. In my area there are some models that seem to be used by a variety of artistic photographers and they have the look, creativity and intelligence to collaborate.

I love Laura New Myer - she's moving to California so maybe if she's in your area you could work w/her.  I think she's $100 an hour but she does all her own makeup and styling and she's internationally known.

http://www.modelmayhem.com/751285

definitely; she looks fantastic. the biggest downside to 'art' models, at least around here, is that most of them are heavily inked.

Nov 13 12 09:29 am Link

Photographer

nyk fury

Image Magik wrote:
First off. No models does not equal no images. No models equals no model images. Second your work is very dark and goth which eliminates some glam models but I'm sure there are still models left that would be interested in what you do. Maybe you turning them off by what your requesting from them.

i am requesting that models be good at not posing, that they can pull off matter-of-factness pretty well. i do not want sexy. doesn't seem like a big deal to me, but perhaps it is.

Nov 13 12 09:35 am Link

Photographer

nyk fury

D0127H wrote:
I've never been in vogue and I know no shortage of interesting, inspiring conspirators to work with....

canada. yes, i know. rub it in.

Nov 13 12 09:37 am Link

Photographer

nyk fury

LLOYD WRIGHT wrote:
having just discovered you work through this thread, my opinion is that you are genuinely one of the best photographers i've seen, not just on mm!

i hope you battle through your frustrations so i can keep coming back to your work
otherwise your talent will be lost forever and photography wil be the biggest loser!

keep the faith!

cheers ears
lloyd.

thanks lloyd. one of the biggest difficulties i have is with myself. i have a hard time distinguishing between what is something to work through and what is something to detour from.

Nov 13 12 09:40 am Link

Photographer

sweet gamine

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Echo Nittolitto is in Seattle Nov. 14th - 20th; I know it is short notice.
http://www.modelmayhem.com/casting/1602804

I think I would be heartbroken if you hung up your camera for good.

Nov 13 12 11:40 am Link

Photographer

LLOYD WRIGHT

Newcastle upon Tyne, England, United Kingdom

nyk fury wrote:
thanks lloyd. one of the biggest difficulties i have is with myself. i have a hard time distinguishing between what is something to work through and what is something to detour from.

most of the great artist's had to fight themselves and that little touch of insecurity turned them into greats!

Nov 13 12 11:47 am Link

Photographer

JBerman Photography

New York, New York, US

if you leave, can i have your stuff? smile

seriously, I admire your work.  this is a small hurdle that you will get over.

Nov 13 12 11:50 am Link

Model

Phane

Rockville, Maryland, US

nyk fury wrote:

I am not any of those things at the moment but I have always loved your work would work with you in a heartbeat

Nov 13 12 11:52 am Link

Photographer

Abbitt Photography

Oakland Acres, Iowa, US

I can very much relate to your situation.  Most models must travel close to 150 miles to do a shoot with me.  That wouldn't be a huge concern if I was looking to get and pay for upper end models, but it presents challenges for getting more moderate models, especially since more and more I feel shoots are not worth it if the model doesn't have a look I like.

A couple things have been helpful to me:

1.  Craigslist -I get many more responses and more resulting shoots for art nudes from craigslist than I do from MM. 

2.  Be content with other things.   The good, reasonably priced models do come along, so I've learned to be happy shooting them when I can, but also content to shoot other things when they don't come my way. As someone who shoots mostly for fun, I can't justify paying enormous rates, but I also don't have any real pressure to book shoots to meet some deadline.  We are fortunate as photographers to have many subjects we can shoot.

There are of course also many models on MM that fit your needs and will be willing to travel to you if you are willing to pay.

Nov 13 12 11:55 am Link

Photographer

Exterminate

Seattle, Washington, US

nyk fury wrote:

capital letters seem unnecessary to me, except for acronyms. they are like putting little shouts here and there that don't really need it.

the community aspect. i got a small peek into a bit of that a couple weeks ago, and it got me to thinking. it also got me to feeling i am so very stranded in a veritable outback.

How odd... I actually got over an aversion to capital letters myself, I felt like they were trying to dominate.

Also, I have been a fan of yours since I first perused your work years ago. It's unfortunate you feel at such a loss, but I understand the almost obsessive need to get 'that' particular image to happen. If you need some model referrals I'd be happy to get some to you. All rather tall and lean.

Nov 13 12 12:00 pm Link

Photographer

DAN CRUIKSHANK

I also have found it difficult to find models in my area for certain projects I am pursuing, so I am moving to a new city that has a more diverse artistic culture and a greater variety of talent. Do whatever it takes to keep doing what you love smile

Nov 13 12 12:11 pm Link

Photographer

nyk fury

JBerman Photography wrote:
if you leave, can i have your stuff? smile

seriously, I admire your work.  this is a small hurdle that you will get over.

thank you. i am definitely feeling somewhat less a failure with all this positive feedback.

Nov 13 12 02:08 pm Link

Model

Tiffiney C

Los Angeles, California, US

Most of the photographers I've worked with that live far from major cities have tendencies to fly models out to work with them. As far as the "trade" models and "paid" models comment, check references. Most MMers work with each other, it's easy to tell if there are worth the time, effort, or sometimes money.

There plenty of things to take pictures of. If I was a photographer I would shoot still life, architecture, or anything that couldn't talk (I don't like egos smile ) Best wishes.

Tiff

Nov 13 12 02:22 pm Link

Photographer

nyk fury

Abbitt Photography wrote:
I can very much relate to your situation.  Most models must travel close to 150 miles to do a shoot with me.  That wouldn't be a huge concern if I was looking to get and pay for upper end models, but it presents challenges for getting more moderate models, especially since more and more I feel shoots are not worth it if the model doesn't have a look I like.

A couple things have been helpful to me:

1.  Craigslist -I get many more responses and more resulting shoots for art nudes from craigslist than I do from MM. 

2.  Be content with other things.   The good, reasonably priced models do come along, so I've learned to be happy shooting them when I can, but also content to shoot other things when they don't come my way. As someone who shoots mostly for fun, I can't justify paying enormous rates, but I also don't have any real pressure to book shoots to meet some deadline.  We are fortunate as photographers to have many subjects we can shoot.

There are of course also many models on MM that fit your needs and will be willing to travel to you if you are willing to pay.

yeah, i did a bunch of that this summer. some local non-models. they were all really wonderful to work with, however, the results just really did not cut it. for me. unfortunately. i approach this art like a film director. there is something i want to convey, and it must match [or sync well with] the vision.

i do have pressure. my next show is in april, and i made a firm decision to use only new material. and i have raised the bar of my vision considerably; to some degree concerning model choice, but more so with the actual concepts themselves.

i found one really captivating model who said that even paying for the flight and the shoot was not really worth it to her. i took that one too personally i suppose.

my last show did really well, but even with that, it still did not quite meet the costs. so, for me, it is something i do because i want to, and for no other tangible reason.

Nov 13 12 02:26 pm Link

Photographer

nyk fury

Exterminate wrote:
Also, I have been a fan of yours since I first perused your work years ago. It's unfortunate you feel at such a loss, but I understand the almost obsessive need to get 'that' particular image to happen. If you need some model referrals I'd be happy to get some to you. All rather tall and lean.

this has turned out to be a really long and slow evolution for me. and my skill sets appear to be lagging far behind where my "eye" is now.

i would love your seattle referrals if you would be so kind. my MUA collaborator and i are itching to begin connecting with that scene....

Nov 13 12 02:32 pm Link

Photographer

nyk fury

DAN CRUIKSHANK wrote:
I also have found it difficult to find models in my area for certain projects I am pursuing, so I am moving to a new city that has a more diverse artistic culture and a greater variety of talent. Do whatever it takes to keep doing what you love smile

i like visiting cities such as seattle and portland, but the thought of trying to live in either of those places depresses the hell out of me. when i visited vancouver a couple years ago i did not want to leave it. but it appears to me that canadian authorities are pretty adamant about americans not overstaying their welcome these days.

Nov 13 12 02:35 pm Link

Photographer

nyk fury

Tiffiney C wrote:
Most of the photographers I've worked with that live far from major cities have tendencies to fly models out to work with them. As far as the "trade" models and "paid" models comment, check references. Most MMers work with each other, it's easy to tell if there are worth the time, effort, or sometimes money.

There plenty of things to take pictures of. If I was a photographer I would shoot still life, architecture, or anything that couldn't talk (I don't like egos smile ) Best wishes.

Tiff

i do shoot all kinds of things, but my primary interest is in figurative works. it is more difficult in so many ways, but i have to follow my passion. there are also landscapes, architecture, and certain critters that i would die to work with, but they are not around here. iceland, the andes, the skeleton coast, seychelles, and so forth...

Nov 13 12 02:47 pm Link

Photographer

Garry k

nyk fury wrote:

i like visiting cities such as seattle and portland, but the thought of trying to live in either of those places depresses the hell out of me. when i visited vancouver a couple years ago i did not want to leave it. but it appears to me that canadian authorities are pretty adamant about americans not overstaying their welcome these days.

probably equally adamant as the American authorities are when Canadians visit there

Nov 13 12 07:56 pm Link

Photographer

Francisco Castro

Cincinnati, Ohio, US

nyk fury wrote:

Normally, when I read posts like this about photographers lamenting that they can't get models, and they ask others to look at their portfolio, I really expect little, assuming that the quality of their work is such that models don't want to waste their time.

When I saw your port, my initial reaction was, "HOLY MOTHER OF GOD!!". Dude, your work has so much quality content, excelling both technically and artistically. There are a couple of photos in there that I would love to have taken.

I don't know what it will take to get models to shoot where you are, but seriously, keep shooting, stay in MM. I need to make your account as one to watch now.

Nov 13 12 08:08 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Hillburn

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

David Kirk wrote:
I really don't have any practical advice, but I sure hope you keep at it.  I love your photography!

Agreed 100%

Nov 13 12 08:19 pm Link

Photographer

- BP Photo -

Cincinnati, Ohio, US

Nov 14 12 11:26 am Link

Photographer

M Pandolfo Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

nyk fury wrote:

sounds so. but it's not. i have compromised for awhile now, and the lackluster results reflect exactly that.

First, I don't think you have lackluster results. From your post I expected to see total crap work but your work has a unique style that I actually like. So...the problem isn't your work turning models away. It must be something else. What might that be?

You feel you've been finding less-than-suitable models. Either you really are or your standards are too high. And since they are YOUR standards the only way to change that part of the formula is going to the source of models who do meet your standards.

Yes, I'm getting at using Agencies because they are usually just as selective as you are re: models and their standards seem to be aligned with yours.

Nov 14 12 11:37 am Link

Photographer

nyk fury

Francisco Castro wrote:
When I saw your port, my initial reaction was, "HOLY MOTHER OF GOD!!". Dude, your work has so much quality content, excelling both technically and artistically. There are a couple of photos in there that I would love to have taken.

good thing you didn't go into my port a few days ago when there were still 70 some pix in it!

Nov 14 12 11:39 am Link

Photographer

nyk fury

- BP Photo - wrote:
the model is only one of six components.  I would think that a talented art photographer could make use of the other five, which are mostly within his control, to make up for a less than ideal model.  In fact, one might even enjoy the challenge.

yes, but those six components are not all equal. the model is a very large slice of that pie. yes, i can do quite well with less, but that just isn't going to be good enough for what i have planned going forward.

Nov 14 12 11:42 am Link

Photographer

nyk fury

Michael Pandolfo wrote:
You feel you've been finding less-than-suitable models. Either you really are or your standards are too high. And since they are YOUR standards the only way to change that part of the formula is going to the source of models who do meet your standards.

exactly.

Michael Pandolfo wrote:
Yes, I'm getting at using Agencies because they are usually just as selective as you are re: models and their standards seem to be aligned with yours.

i had never really thought about approaching 'agencies' before. i think i have it in the back of my mind that the moment they saw my stuff i would be laughed out the door. i do have one friend who is an agency model. i will ask him what he thinks.....

Nov 14 12 11:45 am Link

Photographer

A N D E R S O N

Fountain Valley, California, US

nyk fury wrote:

good thing you didn't go into my port a few days ago when there were still 70 some pix in it!

You are one of my favorite artists on this site, lots of the images you removed I loved lol... I think you are being way to hard on yourself and the poor models, but I understand at the same time. You have to love your work and what your doing, that comes first. Pay attention to the traveling models, find that one muse that you can shoot again and again. Maybe you could find someone that fits you criteria somewhere other than the internet. Maybe check out a dance studio, or an athlete of some type.

Nov 14 12 11:50 am Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

Santa Ana, California, US

I second the suggestion of going the agency route. That's where you're going to find a decent choice of strong and unique looks.
Not that MM doesn't have a smattering of the above, but MM is what it is.

Nov 14 12 12:00 pm Link

Photographer

nyk fury

A N D E R S O N wrote:
You are one of my favorite artists on this site, lots of the images you removed I loved lol... I think you are being way to hard on yourself and the poor models, but I understand at the same time. You have to love your work and what your doing, that comes first. Pay attention to the traveling models, find that one muse that you can shoot again and again. Maybe you could find someone that fits you criteria somewhere other than the internet. Maybe check out a dance studio, or an athlete of some type.

well the rest are still up on deviant art http://kannagara.deviantart.com/gallery/, or most of them. i deleted 600 images from that site.

my collaborator just told me she wants to try the dance studio approach, so we are going to see about what is going on in seattle. pacific north ballet, and such...

Nov 14 12 12:34 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

John Allan wrote:
I second the suggestion of going the agency route. That's where you're going to find a decent choice of strong and unique looks.
Not that MM doesn't have a smattering of the above, but MM is what it is.

Hi, John.   The OP is fantastic.   I remembered when he joined but I don't think any agency would allow him too test their models.   He's not in a area with a lot of MM models either.   It may be that he has too travel a bit or find models at local colleges who have a artistic mind set and the kind of figure he likes.   I would say, maybe be more open to different sizes and looks but he is really talented.   It would be a shame to quit.

Nov 14 12 12:48 pm Link