Forums > Photography Talk > Massive Viewfinder!

Photographer

London Fog

London, England, United Kingdom

Is how I keep seeing FX DSLR viewfinders described as having! Well, I'm sitting here with my Canon 7D in one hand and my D800 in the other, and looking through both I see no difference, well barely any!!!

So, what am I looking for, am I missing something?

Nov 13 12 03:42 pm Link

Photographer

M Pandolfo Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

I don't think it's a size issue. It's more of a brightness issue. And everything you see in the D800 viewfinder will be in your photo.

I don't know the D800 view % but I don't think it's 100% is it?

Maybe you're viewing it in crop mode?

Edit: It is 100% coverage...sorry. Isn't the 7D's also 100% coverage though? Might not be a big difference between those 2 cameras. But if you compared the D800 to a lower coverage model you'd notice a big difference.

Nov 13 12 03:52 pm Link

Photographer

London Fog

London, England, United Kingdom

Michael Pandolfo wrote:
I don't think it's a size issue. It's more of a brightness issue. And everything you see in the D800 viewfinder will be in your photo.

I don't know the D800 view % but I don't think it's 100% is it?

Maybe you're viewing it in crop mode?

Edit: It is 100% coverage...sorry. Isn't the 7D's also very high though? Might not be a big difference between those 2 cameras.

None whatsoever, both are 100% viewfinders, both as bright as the sun, no difference at all. Honestly, all this horseshit about FF/FX cameras having a 'massive viewfinder' compared to a crop! Massive viewfinder...my ass!

Nov 13 12 03:58 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Hillburn

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

London Fog wrote:

None whatsoever, both are 100% viewfinders, both as bright as the sun, no difference at all. Honestly, all this horseshit about FF/FX cameras having a 'massive viewfinder' compared to a crop! Massive viewfinder...my ass!

I have D300 and D700. To my eye they look equal also although the D700 is full frame. I also have a Contax 645 and don't find the view through it's MF better than my Nikons. As matter of fact, it seems not as bright for some reason.

Nov 13 12 04:08 pm Link

Photographer

Images by MR

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

London Fog wrote:
Massive viewfinder

Define massive ?

Nov 13 12 04:10 pm Link

Photographer

Extrosy

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

Big window vs little window.

Nov 13 12 04:28 pm Link

Photographer

Leggy Mountbatten

Kansas City, Missouri, US

Hold one up to your left eye while holding the other up to your right.

The most massive finder I've seen was on a Pentax 67. I absolutely hated it. My eye had to swim around the frame to see the composition.

Nov 13 12 04:30 pm Link

Photographer

Raoul Isidro Images

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

London Fog wrote:

If you look into the viewfinder of the F2AS, you will see what you are missing.

Also, the F3HP comes close.

It is a close similar view on the D4.

I have both the F2AS and F3HP and once in a while, I look into their viewfinders to remind me of what we have been missing these past few decades...

Nov 13 12 04:40 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Hillburn

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Raoul Isidro Images wrote:
If you look into the viewfinder of the F2AS, you will see what you are missing.

Also, the F3HP comes close.

It is a close similar view on the D4.

I have both the F2AS and F3HP and once in a while, I look into their viewfinders to remind me of what we have been missing these past few decades...

Is there that much difference between D4 and D800? I'm looking to upgrade from my D700 after Xmas...

Nov 13 12 04:55 pm Link

Photographer

Raoul Isidro Images

Brian Hillburn wrote:

Is there that much difference between D4 and D800? I'm looking to upgrade from my D700 after Xmas...

D700   95%
D800   100%
D4      100%

Between the D4 and D800 I don't think there would be much of a difference, both being 100% viewfinder coverage. But the pentaprism of the D4 is slightly bigger, I don't know why, but it sure contributes to the price!

Nov 13 12 05:14 pm Link

guide forum

Photographer

Giacomo Cirrincioni

New York, New York, US

London Fog wrote:
Is how I keep seeing FX DSLR viewfinders described as having! Well, I'm sitting here with my Canon 7D in one hand and my D800 in the other, and looking through both I see no difference, well barely any!!!

FX is better than DX  but honestly, all DSLRs suck in this regard.  Look through the viewfinder of an F4 or F5 - then you'll see a big bright viewfinder.  For me, this was always one of Nikon's best selling points (one of the reasons I hate 35mm as a format is the small viewfinders) and it has all but vanished (I have not looked through a D800, so maybe it's improved).

Give me ground glass any day.

Nov 13 12 05:18 pm Link

Photographer

Marty McBride

Owensboro, Kentucky, US

Compare the D800 to the ultra tunnel view of a D70, and you'll see the difference!

Nov 13 12 05:24 pm Link

Photographer

Kev Lawson

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Marty McBride wrote:
Compare the D800 to the ultra tunnel view of a D70, and you'll see the difference!

I was just going to say a D80 or D90 ... same thing pretty much

Nov 13 12 06:31 pm Link

Photographer

RacerXPhoto

Brooklyn, New York, US

I used show my EOS1n 35mm film camera to other canon crop DLSR users to see what they were missing
The reaction was always the same
Shock
Envy
I have a Pentax 67 how could anybody hate its IMAX viewfinder ???

Nov 13 12 07:10 pm Link

Photographer

RacerXPhoto

Brooklyn, New York, US

I used show my EOS1n 35mm film camera to other canon crop DLSR users to see what they were missing
Shock
Envy
I have a Pentax 67 how could anybody hate its IMAX viewfinder ???

Nov 13 12 07:17 pm Link

Photographer

photoguy35

Goodyear, Arizona, US

Raoul Isidro Images wrote:
D700   95%
D800   100%
D4      100%

Between the D4 and D800 I don't think there would be much of a difference, both being 100% viewfinder coverage. But the pentaprism of the D4 is slightly bigger, I don't know why, but it sure contributes to the price!

Magnification is what sets the apparent size of the viewfinder, not the frame coverage.  The larger magnification lets you see more details through the viewfinder. 

Here's an interesting link with some comparisons, even though it is somewhat outdated.  Note the difference between the 1DsIII and the 5DII, even though both are full frame.  Notice also how huge the OM-1 is by comparison (no wonder I sometimes miss using that camera). 

http://snapsort.com/learn/viewfinder-size

http://snapsort.com/learn/images/viewfinder-size-comparison.jpg

Nov 13 12 08:04 pm Link

Photographer

Raoul Isidro Images

RacerXPhoto wrote:
Shock
Envy

Aaah Yes! I forgot about my EOS 3 which has the same awesome viewfinder!

1N, 1V and 3 are great SLRs.

Nov 13 12 10:19 pm Link

Photographer

Innovative Imagery

Los Angeles, California, US

I miss my Hasselblad viewfinder.  I really liked that size.

Nov 13 12 10:30 pm Link