Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > 50s fetish fashion

Model

V Laroche

Posts: 2746

Khowmeyn, Markazī, Iran

There's a local event this weekend with a 1950s fetish fashion show. After I saw the flier today I started wondering about it. What does that even mean? Has fetishwear really changed significantly over the past 60 years? Isn't all just the same stuff but with more latex instead of vinyl? Right???? I'm trying to anticipate what would make this event 50s-themed rather than just regular old fetish-themed.

*I'm not really in the fetish world; I just like pointy bras, that's all.

Nov 13 12 09:19 pm Link

Photographer

Laurence Moan

Posts: 7825

Huntington Beach, California, US

Granny panties.

Oh yeah.

Nov 13 12 09:21 pm Link

Model

V Laroche

Posts: 2746

Khowmeyn, Markazī, Iran

Granny panties are in and it's about time, too.

Nov 13 12 09:25 pm Link

Photographer

NothingIsRealButTheGirl

Posts: 35354

Los Angeles, California, US

Dior, but in red and black.

Stockings with seams.

Boots.

Riding crop.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_YuMU-gWrxdQ/SksPwvOFraI/AAAAAAAAAHs/DBDdKzrpkao/s400/Dior+1950%27s.jpg

I have no idea.

http://damngoodvintage.com/sitebuilder/images/vintage-suit-Dior-1950-570x600.jpg

Nov 13 12 09:26 pm Link

Photographer

Laurence Moan

Posts: 7825

Huntington Beach, California, US

Girdles with the garter grips.

Oh my.

Nov 13 12 09:29 pm Link

Model

V Laroche

Posts: 2746

Khowmeyn, Markazī, Iran

Ah, the mushroom hat from The Nutcracker Suite ballet makes its triumphant return in "The Nutcracker II: CBT Extravaganza."

No but seriously all those things are still "in" except for that crazy hat, right?

edit: I was thinking of Fantasia...
http://www.entertainmentearth.com/images/AUTOIMAGES/DRMWDSSCDWAlg.jpg

Nov 13 12 09:31 pm Link

Photographer

NothingIsRealButTheGirl

Posts: 35354

Los Angeles, California, US

http://www.thebluefish.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/Tumblr_kw542eF7mN1qz80pso1_r1_500.jpg

Nurse Ratched

Nov 13 12 09:32 pm Link

Photographer

Laurence Moan

Posts: 7825

Huntington Beach, California, US

V Laroche wrote:
Ah, the mushroom hat from The Nutcracker Suite ballet makes its triumphant return in "The Nutcracker II: CBT Extravaganza."

No but seriously all those things are still "in" except for that crazy hat, right?

edit: I was thinking of Fantasia...
http://www.entertainmentearth.com/images/AUTOIMAGES/DRMWDSSCDWAlg.jpg

Okay you lost me here.

Nov 13 12 09:34 pm Link

Photographer

NothingIsRealButTheGirl

Posts: 35354

Los Angeles, California, US

http://farm1.staticflickr.com/154/432348262_7ef0837952.jpg
Bizarre Magazine No.2 by 0Traveller0, on Flickr

Guess it really hasn't changed much

Nov 13 12 09:35 pm Link

Model

Laura UnBound

Posts: 27573

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

V Laroche wrote:
There's a local event this weekend with a 1950s fetish fashion show. After I saw the flier today I started wondering about it. What does that even mean? Has fetishwear really changed significantly over the past 60 years? Isn't all just the same stuff but with more latex instead of vinyl? Right???? I'm trying to anticipate what would make this event 50s-themed rather than just regular old fetish-themed.

*I'm not really in the fetish world; I just like pointy bras, that's all.

Lingerie styles have changed significantly since the 50s. We dont really wear bullet bras and girdles anymore, garter belts are now tiny little strips of lace rather than the closer to what we'd now call "shape wear" that were more popular in the 50s.  50s fetish fashion, in my mind, would incorporate vintage styled fetishwear. Which could mean anything from just black classic lingerie (because there is a fetish for that), to latex/leather/vinyl/etc clothing done in classic styles.

Nov 13 12 09:35 pm Link

Model

V Laroche

Posts: 2746

Khowmeyn, Markazī, Iran

NothingIsRealButTheGirl wrote:
http://farm1.staticflickr.com/154/432348262_7ef0837952.jpg
Bizarre Magazine No.2 by 0Traveller0, on Flickr

Guess it really hasn't changed much

Loboutin should sue Bizarre for this. He won his suit against Yves Saint Laurent which was outrageous I think.

Nov 13 12 09:37 pm Link

Photographer

NothingIsRealButTheGirl

Posts: 35354

Los Angeles, California, US

Laura UnBound wrote:
We dont really wear bullet bras and girdles anymore

Speak for yourself.

.
.
.

just kidding big_smile

Nov 13 12 09:37 pm Link

Photographer

NothingIsRealButTheGirl

Posts: 35354

Los Angeles, California, US

V Laroche wrote:
Loboutin should sue Bizarre for this. He won his suit against Yves Saint Laurent which was outrageous I think.

Red heels? Or just red bottoms?

http://christianlouboutinshoes.celloroller.com/images/a/Isabel%20Marant%20Bekket%20High-Top%20Wedge%20Sneakers%20Suede%20Leather%20Red%20White%20Blue%20Black.jpg

Red inner part, I guess.

Nov 13 12 09:38 pm Link

Photographer

Laurence Moan

Posts: 7825

Huntington Beach, California, US

Or it could mean the 50's is the fetish. Sexually speaking of course.

Nov 13 12 09:38 pm Link

Model

V Laroche

Posts: 2746

Khowmeyn, Markazī, Iran

NothingIsRealButTheGirl wrote:
Red heels? Or just red bottoms?

The shoes he sued YSL over had both, if I recall correctly. They looked like the ones on that mag cover. I'll look for them

edit: No, the shoes from YSL were 100% red!!! Ain't that some shit.

Nov 13 12 09:39 pm Link

Model

V Laroche

Posts: 2746

Khowmeyn, Markazī, Iran

Laura UnBound wrote:
We dont really wear bullet bras and girdles anymore

Girl, you have been going to some weak-ass no-pants dance parties, bless your heart.

Nov 13 12 09:42 pm Link

Model

Laura UnBound

Posts: 27573

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

V Laroche wrote:

Girl, you have been going to some weak-ass no-pants dance parties, bless your heart.

"we" being the majority of regular people. Do you know any non-model, non-burlesque, non-pinup obsessed people who are picking up bullet bras and girdles at the local victoria secret? I dont.

50's styled fashion is not "typical" anymore, it has a distinct style that we no longer use in mainstream attire. Which is how you would differentiate between a "50s styled fetish fashion show" and just "vickies but in black."

Nov 13 12 10:10 pm Link

Photographer

QuaeVide

Posts: 5287

Pacifica, California, US

They had fashion in the 50s?

Nov 13 12 10:14 pm Link

Model

V Laroche

Posts: 2746

Khowmeyn, Markazī, Iran

Laura UnBound wrote:
"we" being the majority of regular people. Do you know any non-model, non-burlesque, non-pinup obsessed people who are picking up bullet bras and girdles at the local victoria secret? I dont.

Yes, but tbh they are drag queens for the most part.

edit: Well, I guess that's burlesque, really. Damn.

edit again: Sometimes I forget what life is like for normal people. Plus, I live in New Orleans, so my perspective is like, skewed.

Nov 13 12 10:16 pm Link

Model

Bella la Bell

Posts: 4451

Kansas City, Missouri, US

I am not too shocked about fet life being open up into the 1950's attire.

I get tons of creepy old men coming up to me all the time asking about the nylons I wear and the fucking brand... *creepy but true*

Nov 13 12 10:26 pm Link

Photographer

billy badfinger

Posts: 830

Tampa, Florida, US

I'm guessing lot's of girdles,seamed stockings,bullet bras,opera gloves,
bee-hives and up-dos,cat-eye and rinestone eye-wear,animal print pumps..
Think Irving Claw...early Russ Meyer...

I think the general perception of "Fetish" today includes latex,bondage,
CP and other sexual ACTIVITIES more than just assorted female
undergarments and stylings...

If you go to said event...make sure to tell us what you find!!!

Nov 13 12 10:36 pm Link

guide forum

Model

Anna Adrielle

Posts: 18763

Antwerp, Antwerp, Belgium

something can be vintage and still be in style (or even in style because it is vintage)

the idea  that it can still be so modern, but at the same time is over 60 years old is quite nice I think.

Nov 14 12 01:08 am Link

Photographer

sospix

Posts: 21758

Orlando, Florida, US

Anna Adrielle wrote:
something can be vintage and still be in style (or even in style because it is vintage)

the idea  that it can still be so modern, but at the same time is over 60 years old is quite nice I think.

Thank god  .  .  .  I'm over 60, and still kinda "styly"  .  .  .  course I don't look AS good in the red heels, the pointy bras, or the latex as I used ta  .  .  .  wink

SOS

Nov 14 12 01:25 am Link

guide forum

Model

Anna Adrielle

Posts: 18763

Antwerp, Antwerp, Belgium

sospix wrote:

Thank god  .  .  .  I'm over 60, and still kinda "styly"  .  .  .  course I don't look AS good in the red heels, the pointy bras, or the latex as I used ta  .  .  .  wink

SOS

age is really just a number. any idea how many women still swoon over sean connery tongue? that man is on the verge of going from vintage to antique, and yet... habba habba!

Nov 14 12 01:33 am Link

Photographer

sospix

Posts: 21758

Orlando, Florida, US

Anna Adrielle wrote:

age is really just a number. any idea how many women still swoon over sean connery tongue? that man is on the verge of going from vintage to antique, and yet... habba habba!

Yeah, except ya start ta creak after awhile  .  .  .  wink  Well, sure, how can ya not lust after James Bond  .  .  .  guess there's still hope for me yet  .  .  .  I'll have my prune juice shaken, not stirred  .  .  .  wink

SOS

Nov 14 12 01:38 am Link

Model

Retiredmodel

Posts: 7884

Monmouth, Wales, United Kingdom

I am told high class prostitutes c.40's/50's used to paint their soles red but I couldn't find much evidence about it. A restauranteur in Shepherd's Market (Mayfair's red light area) told me he found several such pairs in an attic. Certainly there is a long history of prostitutes using their soles to advertise their service going back to Ancient Greece.
They used to have ΑΚΟΛΟΥΘΙ AKOLOUTHI - Follow me - embossed on their soles to leave the message in the dirt. That kind of idea would up the ante a bit for any shoe designers out there.

I like the pointy bras and foundation garments and corsetry etc of the forties and fifties too. One thing that was a feature that appears to have virtually disapperared would be the long elaborate negligees one sees in Bill Ward images and photography of the time.

There were very specific manifestations of fetishes that have changed or become less important yet perhaps more well known due to the internet. Things like hairbrush and paddle spanking, petticoat punishment, gas masks, lace up ballet boots etc there is lots of evidence for in photography, literature art and artefact

The desire to submit to the dominatrix dates back to von Sacher-Masoch's Venus in Furs and before and it is where the name sado masochism comes from I believe.

I think they probably thinking along the lines of Bettie Page etc as the fifties incarnation. Long leather opera gloves hair styling foundation garments that sort of thing.

Vintage Sleaze is a a great resource for ideas:

http://vintagesleaze.blogspot.co.uk/

Nov 14 12 02:37 am Link

Photographer

sospix

Posts: 21758

Orlando, Florida, US

Eliza C wrote:
I am told high class prostitutes c.40's/50's used to paint their soles red but I couldn't find much evidence about it. A restauranteur in Shepherd's Market (Mayfair's red light area) told me he found several such pairs in an attic. Certainly there is a long history of prostitutes using their soles to advertise their service going back to Ancient Greece.
They used to have ΑΚΟΛΟΥΘΙ AKOLOUTHI - Follow me - embossed on their soles to leave the message in the dirt. That kind of idea would up the ante a bit for any shoe designers out there.

I like the pointy bras and foundation garments and corsetry etc of the forties and fifties too. One thing that was a feature that appears to have virtually disapperared would be the long elaborate negligees one sees in Bill Ward images and photography of the time.

There were very specific manifestations of fetishes that have changed or become less important yet perhaps more well known due to the internet. Things like hairbrush and paddle spanking, petticoat punishment, gas masks, lace up ballet boots etc there is lots of evidence for in photography, literature art and artefact

The desire to submit to the dominatrix dates back to von Sacher-Masoch's Venus in Furs and before and it is where the name sado masochism comes from I believe.

I think they probably thinking along the lines of Bettie Page etc as the fifties incarnation. Long leather opera gloves hair styling foundation garments that sort of thing.

Vintage Sleaze is a a great resource for ideas:

http://vintagesleaze.blogspot.co.uk/

Nice reference site  .  .  .  great stuff, thanks for sharing  .  .  .  we did a retro comix cover fairly recently, played off the wardrobe, look, and lighting from the 40's  .  .  .

http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/121016/11/507da0a9680cc.jpg

SOS

Nov 14 12 06:13 am Link

Model

MoRina

Posts: 6062

Destin, Florida, US

Nov 14 12 08:30 am Link

Photographer

sospix

Posts: 21758

Orlando, Florida, US

MoRina wrote:
Here are a few examples from my portfolio (all links are 18+ for either boobs or bondage)

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/25381248
http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/30178017
http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/27754071

The two "B's", boobs and bondage  .  .  .  they're always crowd pleasers  .  .  .  wink

SOS

Nov 14 12 09:40 am Link

Photographer

Michael Bots

Posts: 6773

Kingston, Ontario, Canada

The pointy bras etc. are still around.  It's hard to argue with success.

Megan Fox plays the star of a hit sci-fi series called Plutopia as she guest stars on her husband's show The Wedding Band

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/11/15/article-2233230-16097170000005DC-428_634x355.jpg   

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvwCmGWWOMo
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/ar … eries.html

Nov 15 12 08:28 am Link

Photographer

Wildcat Photography

Posts: 1486

Valparaiso, Indiana, US

One thing I think would make or break a 50's or 60's fetish shoot would be getting the hair styling and makeup period correct.

Wildcat

Nov 15 12 09:05 am Link

Photographer

shadow_show

Posts: 638

Northampton, England, United Kingdom

Eliza C wrote:
Vintage Sleaze is a a great resource for ideas:

http://vintagesleaze.blogspot.co.uk/

isnt it just :-)

Nov 15 12 11:06 am Link

Photographer

Cultured Pearls Photo

Posts: 1928

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Remember, the fifty's were a LONG time ago....in terms of clothing.
The fabrics were clunkier, more rigid. A very distinctive feel.
The lines were hugely different in foundational garments from the era. Everything was cross-banded, layered to prevent "puckers", this made for a heavier garment. It simply feels different than a sleek little piece of Nylon, or silk, or latex...
Yes we all still get hot over garter belts and corsets, but these pieces were truly utilitarian first. They GRIPPED you,SHAPED you, damn near IMMOBILIZED you...lol
that is just the fabrics for "normal" clothing.
There is NO comparison between the raincoats, galoshes, jodhpurs, riding boots, etc. of the era and the modern reproductions. They may look the same , but they just "feel" different.
I have a raincoat from mid 50's, french velvet shrug from late 40's, fur shrugs from 40's and 50's, hip-hugger girdle from late 50's...they are just "different.
I thought it was just me, but the models who have worked with these pieces seemed to respond to them as well.

Nov 15 12 08:01 pm Link