Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > any astronomers? 11-13-12

Photographer

GK photo

Posts: 28088

Laguna Beach, California, US

right now (10:49 pdt) there is a planet visible just a few degrees above orion. i think it's venus. anyone know for sure? it's particularly clear out tonight (new moon/recent santa anas) even for so cal.

Nov 13 12 10:55 pm Link

Photographer

NothingIsRealButTheGirl

Posts: 33590

Los Angeles, California, US

Nov 13 12 10:57 pm Link

Photographer

DougBPhoto

Posts: 38589

Portland, Oregon, US

GK photo wrote:
right now (10:49 pdt) there is a planet visible just a few degrees above orion. i think it's venus. anyone know for sure? it's particularly clear out tonight (new moon/recent santa anas) even for so cal.

Not sure, but doubt it is Venus.

Venus and Mercury are inferior planets which, IIRC, they are only visible within a close proximity to the sun, and I believe this time of night they would be out of that range.

Therefore, with absolutely limited info I'd guess Mars or Jupiter.

Adds: http://earthsky.org/astronomy-essential … rn-mercury

Nov 13 12 11:01 pm Link

Photographer

GK photo

Posts: 28088

Laguna Beach, California, US

DougBPhoto wrote:
Not sure, but doubt it is Venus.

Venus and Mercury are inferior planets which, IIRC, they are only visible within a close proximity to the sun, and I believe this time of night they would be out of that range.

Therefore, with absolutely limited info I'd guess Mars or Jupiter.

it ain't mars. it is pretty big, so i'll go with jupiter.

thanks

NothingIsRealButTheGirl wrote:
http://www.astroviewer.com/current-nigh … les&tz=PST

Jupiter?

yep! thanks

Nov 13 12 11:02 pm Link

Photographer

DougBPhoto

Posts: 38589

Portland, Oregon, US

GK photo wrote:

it ain't mars. it is pretty big, so i'll go with jupiter.

thanks

Main thing was to share deductive reasoning before consulting online references.

Nov 13 12 11:05 pm Link

Photographer

Solas

Posts: 9537

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

i remember the first time i recognized jupiter, it was pretty cool..learning about what's up there, it's pretty amazing when you start learning the constellations too... i often drive out a couple of hours to an empty field and see what i can see in the darkness.


here's a shot of orion and aurora from me: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/pict … me=2374481

enjoy

Nov 13 12 11:06 pm Link

Photographer

DougBPhoto

Posts: 38589

Portland, Oregon, US

Karl Johnston wrote:
i remember the first time i recognized jupiter, it was pretty cool..learning about what's up there, it's pretty amazing when you start learning the constellations too... i often drive out a couple of hours to an empty field and see what i can see in the darkness.

here's a shot of orion and aurora from me: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/pict … me=2374481

enjoy

Always love your work. 

Finally got a full-frame body, can't wait to try some night work some day, although Aurora are far more rare down here, obviously. sad

Nov 13 12 11:09 pm Link

Photographer

GK photo

Posts: 28088

Laguna Beach, California, US

i can nab all the constellations visible to my location (as long as i can see stars at all). i don't follow the planets all that closely.

out here, if you drive in the low desert (hwy 62/rice road is one good spot), you can see belts and belts of the milky way during a new moon. it's pretty awesome.

Nov 13 12 11:10 pm Link

Photographer

Solas

Posts: 9537

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

DougBPhoto wrote:

Always love your work. 

Finally got a full-frame body, can't wait to try some night work some day, although Aurora are far more rare down here, obviously. sad

Seen a few ribbons down here lately...I think they're following me yikes

Nov 13 12 11:12 pm Link

Photographer

Instinct Images

Posts: 22651

San Diego, California, US

Venus is visible in the west in the evening or in the east before sunset. Never hours after sunset.

If you have a smartphone there are several good apps for skywatchers.

Nov 13 12 11:37 pm Link

Photographer

DougBPhoto

Posts: 38589

Portland, Oregon, US

Instinct Images wrote:
Venus is visible in the west in the evening or in the east before sunset. Never hours after sunset.

If you have a smartphone there are several good apps for skywatchers.

Actually how long after sunset (or before sunrise) depend on latitude as well as time of year (have to factor in the tilting of the earth's axis), but at times at 30 degrees latitude it can be seen as late as 3.5 hours after sunset (and at 60 degrees up to 5.5 hours after sunset) depending on that tilt/time of year.

Check this out from April of earlier this year

http://www.space.com/15279-venus-weeken … -tips.html

In general (based on my understanding/reading), and at a Los Angeles latitude, Venus would typically only be seen within 3.5 hours of sunset or 3.5 hours prior to sunrise.

Nov 13 12 11:48 pm Link

Photographer

photographybyStavros

Posts: 5399

Bainbridge Island, Washington, US

Nov 13 12 11:50 pm Link

Photographer

Digital Photo PLUS

Posts: 5503

Lorton, Virginia, US

There are apps for smartphones which tell you what is what in the sky. You just point the phone at a part of the sky, the phone senses what you are pointing at and displays the stars or planets with the names. For Android phones the app is called Google Sky.

Nov 14 12 02:40 am Link