Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > theatrical makeup help

Makeup Artist

Katie grace bouchard

Providence, Rhode Island, US

Hey guys,

Im working on my 5th year with a local theater doing "A Christmas Carol" now that Im pretty established here I get to try new things, and this year I really want to do some prosthetics (nose and chin) for Scrooge.
  Problem is I have 30 minutes for full makeup and hair for Scrooge (stress) but Im sure I can handle it after a few tech rehearsals. Ive also never used prosthetics before...I would love to hear some tips, and how long it takes to apply/dry? will they stay on the whole performace??

thanks so much xo

Nov 14 12 02:37 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Jaime Criel Makeup

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

30 minutes is an extremely short amount of time to do prosthetics and whole face. You definitely want to do plenty of trial runs beforehand. I recommend using airbrush to quickly apply color and blend. Also research cost for the company's budget. Prosthetics are expensive and you can't use them more than once. I recommend foam latex as I find it the easiest to apply and the most comfortable for the talent to wear. If applied properly, the prosthetics will stay for the entire show. Do your homework on all supplies needed and if the talent has any allergies.

Nov 14 12 04:33 pm Link

Photographer

Designit - Edward Olson

West Hollywood, California, US

Why so little time if it is done pre-show?

I played Cyrano de Bergerac and got it down to about 30 minutes, but I have 25 years experience in applying my own makeup.

I played Scrooge in a production where I transformed onstage and went from basic makeup to Scrooge, while delivering a speech, in about 1 minute with practice.

To be fast, know what you plan to do, the order you are going to do it, have everything you are going to use ready when you start, and do it right the first time.

Nov 14 12 04:54 pm Link

Photographer

Designit - Edward Olson

West Hollywood, California, US

Jaime Criel Makeup wrote:
Prosthetics are expensive and you can't use them more than once.

There are reusable prosthetics that are commercially available. Check with the local theatrical makeup supplier.

Nov 14 12 04:56 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Danielle Blazer

Los Angeles, California, US

How long it takes to apply prosthetics  and for them to "dry" depends on how you apply them, the temperature, etc., so there is no one right answer.

Yes, if properly applied they will last the whole show.

No, 30 minutes is not enough time to properly age someone, apply prosthetics, and age and style hair if you plan to do it well.

Nov 14 12 10:01 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Katie grace bouchard

I know the time is crazy...every year its a new challenge but I know I can handle it once I have all tech rehearsals to practice. The actor playing scrooge works his day job until 5:30pm which is call... so hoping he gets to the theater by 6pm the Director would like him to be finished by 6:30pm. The show is at 7pm. Im not exactly sure there is anything I can do about that hmm

I will look into reusable prosthetics. I don't think the theater could afford to buy a new one for each performance, as there are 3 weeks of performances and 1 week of tech rehearsals. If it is not possible, I can just age him with creme makeup as I do every year. I just thought I would give it a try!

Thanks everyone for the input, I love having MM to help me with work things!

Nov 18 12 05:43 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Denise

Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada

Could you make your own silicone prosthetics? They are reuseable and apply without glue. http://www.paintandpowderstore.com/products.php?cat=263

Nov 18 12 07:25 pm Link

Makeup Artist

muasunny

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I've used mortician's wax and it's pretty easy and quick to mold and set.

Nov 18 12 07:34 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Katie grace bouchard

Ive never made a prothetic...its also getting pretty close to rehearsal so Im not sure I have time to order the ingredients, and then see if I can even do it hmm

morticians wax??

Nov 19 12 06:41 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Danielle Blazer

Los Angeles, California, US

Don't bring stress into the theater; it makes for a worse show for everyone.smile

Breathe, relax, kick out a kick-ass aging makeup and have a whiskey. Doctor's orders.

Disclaimer: I am not a medical professional, just a whiskey drinker.

Nov 19 12 06:44 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Katie grace bouchard

I just looked up morticians wax...I feel like such a noob haha! thanks a bunch I dont know why I didnt think of that

Nov 19 12 06:48 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Katie grace bouchard

@makeup by dani b

we would be great friends..

Nov 19 12 06:49 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Katie grace bouchard

does anyone know if MUFE's plasto wax is similar to morticians/theatrical wax??

Nov 19 12 06:53 pm Link

Makeup Artist

muasunny

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

there are different grade and stiffness/softness to wax.  the only thing I don't like with morticians wax is the smell.

Nov 19 12 08:01 pm Link