Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Ever done an embarrassing computer blunder?

Photographer

John Photography

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia

Ever done anything embarrassing with a computer, like something very obvious  when you were using it or setting it up that later you had forgotten to do, or done in the wrong way?

I for one just did this week on Monday with learning the lesson of "BACK STUFF UP" or in my case not.......

I wiped my hard disk to put win 7 64 bit on.... It all went well. But........ I had made a fatal boo boo.. When I did the reinstall I was so sure I had backed up all the stuff I needed I find out later that I didn't check "My pictures" and lost all the copies of all the photo shoots I have done over the last 3 years........ I'm actually laughing about it now rather then crying.......

Nov 16 12 01:07 am Link

Photographer

rmcapturing

San Francisco, California, US

Not really. But you can likely recover most, if not all of those photos if you haven't written anything else to the hard drive.

Nov 16 12 01:08 am Link

Photographer

John Photography

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia

R_Marquez wrote:
Not really. But you can likely recover most, if not all of those photos if you haven't written anything else to the hard drive.

too late, and I have. sad

Nov 16 12 01:09 am Link

Model

hygvhgvkhy

Chicago, Illinois, US

thats funny actually for the first time a few days ago i thought about my computer breaking& losing all my pictures(..again) so i started moving them to sds

Nov 16 12 06:39 am Link

Model

angel emily

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Reply All.

Nov 16 12 06:43 am Link

Photographer

sospix

Orlando, Florida, US

The "cloud" is our friend  .  .  .  everything automatically backed up  .  .  .  of course, me just tryin' ta turn the danged computer on can be embarrassing  .  .  .  wink

SOS

Nov 16 12 06:45 am Link

Photographer

MKPhoto

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

To Unix people, We wrote an rdel script, similar in action to rdist.. and I used it on roughly  100 workstations as a superuser, instead of rdist  wink

To non Unix people. I deleted, with one key stroke a computer application from 100 workstations instead of updating it. It was an  oops moment.

Nov 16 12 08:10 am Link

Photographer

NothingIsRealButTheGirl

Los Angeles, California, US

Bought a Mac once.

Boy was my face red!

Nov 16 12 08:55 am Link

Photographer

Leo Howard

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Back up early, back up often.

You should have a minimum of 3 copies of every file, 1 local working set of files, 1 local backup set of files, 1 off site backup set of files. Hard drives are cheap these days. I take it one step further and have a 4th set of files uploaded to an online data backup.

Nov 16 12 01:45 pm Link

Photographer

r T p

AdelaideJohn1967 wrote:
Ever done an embarrassing computer blunder?

i
dont recall if i have ...

but i've seen a computer blender

http://youtu.be/lAl28d6tbko

Nov 16 12 02:23 pm Link

Photographer

john_ellis

Spokane, Washington, US

AdelaideJohn1967 wrote:
I wiped my hard disk to put win 7 64 bit on.... It all went well. But........ I had made a fatal boo boo.. When I did the reinstall I was so sure I had backed up all the stuff I needed I find out later that I didn't check "My pictures" and lost all the copies of all the photo shoots I have done over the last 3 years........ I'm actually laughing about it now rather then crying.......

I've done that.  Since then, I keep my OS drive for my OS and programs, and keep all data (images, music, etc.) on separate, physical drives.

You can point "My Music," etc. to go to that/those drive(s).

Also, get a 3 TB drive as a backup.  They're dirt cheap these days.

Nov 16 12 02:46 pm Link

Photographer

Compass Rose Studios

Portland, Oregon, US

My company's owner sent an 'open letter' to business blogger he had a disagreement with.  Apparently he sent it to us only for informational purposes. 

I thought he wanted internal feedback, so I wrote a response critical of the blogger and his motives (with a few barbs) and replied all. 

I thought it was an internal list only.  Apparently the blogger was on the list. 

Blogger ended up publishing my comments.  Got his panties all in a bunch.  Brought more heat and attention on our owner. 

Somehow I escaped relatively unscathed.

Nov 16 12 02:54 pm Link

Photographer

Lawrence Guy

San Diego Country Estates, California, US

I once deleted my Linux kernel by accident, back when it was a file stored in the root directory.

This was in 1994 or thereabouts.

Figured it out before I rebooted and managed to move the backup kernel into place.

Boy was I red!

# rm ./foo /*   (note the extra - and fatal - space)

instead of

$ rm ./foo/*

(yeah, I didn't notice that I was in a root shell facepalm )

Nov 16 12 03:19 pm Link

Photographer

Aaron Lewis Photography

Catskill, New York, US

Lawrence Guy wrote:
I once deleted my Linux kernel by accident, back when it was a file stored in the root directory.

This was in 1994 or thereabouts.

Figured it out before I rebooted and managed to move the backup kernel into place.

Boy was I red!

# rm ./foo /*   (note the extra - and fatal - space)

instead of

$ rm ./foo/*

(yeah, I didn't notice that I was in a root shell facepalm )

LOL rm -rf. Nicely done

I'm sure I've made several over the years. I can say I've never lost data though.

Nov 16 12 05:06 pm Link

Photographer

NothingIsRealButTheGirl

https://andrewhitchcock.org/images/fullsize_got-root.jpg

Nov 16 12 05:13 pm Link

Photographer

Lawrence Guy

San Diego Country Estates, California, US

Aaron Lewis Photography wrote:
I'm sure I've made several over the years. I can say I've never lost data though.

Never lost data either - at least, not permanently.

Though I did accidentally set up a feedback loop on a customer database and spent a weekend straightening it out. That was a serious learning experience.

Nov 16 12 05:17 pm Link

Photographer

Cherrystone

Columbus, Ohio, US

Like accidentally deleting 45gb of negative scans at 4am in the morning?

Nope, never. wink

Nov 16 12 05:35 pm Link

Photographer

Stephoto Photography

Amherst, Massachusetts, US

In college, i was running out of storage room on my computer (PC), so i was going through and deleting all the files I had that I didn't really need. I was also doing a potential virus clean out too-- and I somehow managed to completely screw the windows operating system by deleting an important file. Whoops lol I don't even remember exactly what it was- but my friend was all "you managed to do WHAT?"

What can I say? Whatever it was looked pretty useless.

I've been better since then wink

Nov 16 12 05:35 pm Link