Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Samsung to Start Making Bendable Displays

Photographer

Stephen Dawson

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Samsung to Start Making Bendable Displays for Smartphones in First Half of 2013

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/mobile/dis … _2013.html

In a bid to differentiate itself from the rivals, Samsung Electronics, one of the world’s largest consumer electronics conglomerates, may start mass production of bendable smartphones next year as one of its subsidiaries is on the final stages of development of flexible AMOLED [active-matrix organic light emitting diode] displays.

Samsung Display, a producer of display panels that belongs to Samsung, is in the last phase of development of flexible displays for mobile devices, which are expected to be released in the first half of next year, a person familiar with the situation revealed to the Wall Street Journal. Bendable displays are virtually unbreakable and naturally provide a lot of opportunities when it comes to creation of innovation shapes of smartphone.

https://www.xbitlabs.com/images/news/2012-11/samsung_flex_amoled_hq.jpg

Nov 17 12 09:28 am Link

Photographer

R A V E N D R I V E

New York, New York, US

finally

I would like to point out that this was far fetched in 2006, but not so much anymore.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3dF44XtHek

so much that it looks cheesy already smile

but the prediction at the time was that the technology necessary would be available by 2014

Nov 17 12 09:31 am Link

Photographer

FootNote Fotography

Gainesville, Florida, US

Gotta say it looks interesting.

Nov 17 12 11:44 am Link

Photographer

Good Egg Productions

Orlando, Florida, US

Does flexible mean foldable?

Unless we have a paradigm shift in what a phone (personal computing device) is, I don't know what a flexible screen would have over a clamshell dual screen with an extremely narrow bezel.

Watching the concept video for the Nokia 888, I was able to notice several issues and just bizarre ideas that simply wouldn't work.

If we have flexible screens, do we also have flexible power sources? And flexible PCBs? Perhaps they're being developed, but I've only heard of flexible display development.

I see flexible displays as a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

Nov 17 12 11:58 am Link

Photographer

Velella Velella

Berkeley, California, US

Good Egg Productions wrote:

Are most flashy tech gadgets actually solutions to problems? It seems like most of them are just trying to market a "cool" factor. It's not something unique to this phone.

Anyway, looks fun to me.

Nov 17 12 05:01 pm Link

Photographer

Managing Light

Salem, Virginia, US

If we have flexible screens, do we also have flexible power sources? And flexible PCBs? .

Flexible batteries are close - a few small ones are in production last I heard.  Flexible PCBs have been here for a long time.

That's pretty much the case for all new technology/products that have come along in the consumer products biz.  You didn't know you needed color TV or HDTV, did you?  And I don't remember consumers marching on Apple to demand smart phones.  After spending a career in consumer electronics R&D I know that no one was demanding the stuff we developed, but after it was in production they sure did.

Nov 17 12 05:57 pm Link

Photographer

Orca Bay Images

Arcata, California, US

Not so much that it addresses a problem, but it does offer possibilities.

Flatten the display for tabletop use, wrap it around your wrist or forearm for mobile use when you need both hands for other tasks.

Nov 17 12 08:17 pm Link

Photographer

Primordial Creative

Los Angeles, California, US

Samsung is kicking ass all over. 

I think a bit of a curve would make a tablet or phone more ergonomic for sure.  There's a huge difference in the comfort factor of a well designed mouse vs the plain jane kind of mouse.

Nov 17 12 08:33 pm Link

Photographer

Digitoxin

Denver, Colorado, US

R A V E N D R I V E wrote:
finally

I would like to point out that this was far fetched in 2006, but not so much anymore.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3dF44XtHek

so much that it looks cheesy already smile

but the prediction at the time was that the technology necessary would be available by 2014

That looked cheesy in 2006 too.

Anyway, just because the screen is flexible, the motherboard, the battery, the antenna, etc are not..... 

While there are terrific uses for flexible screen tech, unless they can flex the guts too, this video is a tad misleading (and is hideous from a visual production standpoint too.... Nokia should be ashamed of this video).

Nov 18 12 04:12 am Link

Photographer

Digitoxin

Denver, Colorado, US

Should help a LOT with breakage,  (possibly) weight, and (possibly) thickness.

Nov 18 12 04:17 am Link