Forums > Critique > Serious Critique > First attempt at a "Hollywood Look"

Photographer

Park Avenue Pin-ups

Waverly, New York, US

I know it's not perfect this is my first attempt to achieve a vintage "Hollywood Look" to an image.  Feedback appreciated

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/30775418

Nov 26 12 08:22 pm Link

Photographer

Darkroom Art

JOBSTOWN, New Jersey, US

I like it.
If you're going for the Hurrell style, Sharpen the focus & let your lighting take over.

Nov 26 12 08:31 pm Link

Photographer

Park Avenue Pin-ups

Waverly, New York, US

Darkroom Art wrote:
I like it.
If you're going for the Hurrell style, Sharpen the focus & let your lighting take over.

I aspire to Hurrell style,to have achieved that I agree with the comment on lighting and  in my mind the near eye should have the sharpest focus but I shot this with the far eye in sharpest focus.  Overall the original image is pretty much tack sharp, shot with a prime.  The attempt to emulate Hurrell I did in post after seeing the image and the content seemed to beg for this treatment. Thanks

Nov 26 12 08:37 pm Link

Photographer

KeithDewey3

Plattsburg, Missouri, US

I love that style and feel and keep working to get better at it myself.

A couple of suggestions.  Sharper focus on the eyes, shallow DOF is of but tack sharp focus was a hallmark.

Hard lighting with only controlled spill.  This shot seems under focused and the lighting is soft and of almost indeterminant direction.

It's a nice shot but only the wardrobe and styling have the feel.

Nov 26 12 08:41 pm Link

Photographer

Darkroom Art

JOBSTOWN, New Jersey, US

Your model has a nice style & her coy smile adds to the appeal.

Nov 26 12 08:44 pm Link

Photographer

Park Avenue Pin-ups

Waverly, New York, US

KeithDewey3 wrote:
I love that style and feel and keep working to get better at it myself.

A couple of suggestions.  Sharper focus on the eyes, shallow DOF is of but tack sharp focus was a hallmark.

Hard lighting with only controlled spill.  This shot seems under focused and the lighting is soft and of almost indeterminant direction.

It's a nice shot but only the wardrobe and styling have the feel.

Thanks,

Key was a gridded beauty dish, up and to the left with gridded octobox for fill.  Not the best setup for Hollywood lighting I know it's not what I was set up for.  Once I saw the images though I thought I needed to do what my limited photoshop-foo would allow me to do to attempt to achieve the feel of vintage Hollywood.  I think you are spot on with your comments.  Thanks.

Nov 26 12 08:54 pm Link

Photographer

Lee_Photography

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

Park Avenue Pin-ups wrote:

I aspire to Hurrell style,to have achieved that I agree with the comment on lighting and  in my mind the near eye should have the sharpest focus but I shot this with the far eye in sharpest focus.  Overall the original image is pretty much tack sharp, shot with a prime.  The attempt to emulate Hurrell I did in post after seeing the image and the content seemed to beg for this treatment. Thanks

The closest eye to camera should be in focus

Your image seems dark and as if you added some effects in Photoshop

The gloves get lost in the models wardrobe, would expect them to pop against the white fur of the bear

Nov 27 12 03:32 am Link

Photographer

killer pinups

Tacoma, Washington, US

I agree with the lighting control and focus issues.

These are not meant to be old Hollywood lighting but more of a non contemporary pinup style I'm working on.

http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs40/f/2009/152/f/0/f07b883ce67f232158d100068ea16186.jpg

http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2009/345/4/5/452315910ca57ed11154574c502f6f6c.jpg

Nov 27 12 04:38 am Link

Photographer

Park Avenue Pin-ups

Waverly, New York, US

Lee_Photography wrote:
The closest eye to camera should be in focus

Your image seems dark and as if you added some effects in Photoshop

The gloves get lost in the models wardrobe, would expect them to pop against the white fur of the bear

Not sure how I managed to get the far eye to be the one in sharpest focus...well of course it was operator error but I know better.

Yes all effects were added in post.  I didn't start out going for a Hollywood look, more pin up so there's lots of post in Photoshop.

The gloves do stand out more in the color image.

Thanks for the feedback.

Nov 27 12 04:07 pm Link

Photographer

killer pinups

Tacoma, Washington, US

Not sure how I managed to get the far eye to be the one in sharpest focus...well of course it was operator error but I know better.

Yes all effects were added in post.  I didn't start out going for a Hollywood look, more pin up so there's lots of post in Photoshop.

The gloves do stand out more in the color image.

Thanks for the feedback.

You say you didn't start out trying for an old Hollywood look but you say you attempted it in the first post.

I'm wondering why you tried to make the image resemble something with "lot's of post in photoshop" vs. with lighting.

My examples posted have very little post work done (slight contrast adjust, cropping, and some sharpening).

Nov 28 12 07:08 pm Link

Photographer

bmiSTUDIO

Essex Junction, Vermont, US

If you want to create a Hurrell look, I suggest you use lighting similar to what he employed. This was shot with two Fresnels. Photoshop was limited to minor retouching of the model's skin. By the way, the model is 17 years old in this pic.
http://i381.photobucket.com/albums/oo251/bmimages/IMG_0944Blogo.jpg

Nov 28 12 07:30 pm Link

Photographer

M A R C P H O T O

Mission Hills, California, US

I know it's not perfect this is my first attempt to achieve a vintage "Hollywood Look" to an image.  Feedback appreciated

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/30775418

Good first attempt.  The models wardrobe is great.  The overall focus is soft and under lit. Re-shoot with selective focus and control your light, you will have a great shot.  The bear rug is a little cheesy.

Nov 28 12 07:47 pm Link