Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Cell phone pics and All around Crappy Ports....

Photographer

Park Avenue Pin-ups

Waverly, New York, US

I'm pretty sure that I'm in the top 100% of photographers on MM.

Dec 02 12 07:34 pm Link

Model

Jordan Bunniie

Los Angeles, California, US

Oh my..

Dec 03 12 12:32 am Link

Model

The Matthew Ross

Tulsa, Oklahoma, US

Aaron Lewis Photography wrote:
In the OP's defence, he has been bottling up his anger and self confidence issues for more than a year now.

Someone please share the missing tag with the group smile

I took a screen shot of it....  I may get in trouble for posting it here, But I can email it to you smile

Dec 03 12 01:54 am Link

Model

Senator Awesomepants

Greenville, Indiana, US

Yeah you're right, some of us shouldn't get naked. So I'll totally stop that getting naked thing. Because that's subjective and all.

Dec 03 12 02:19 am Link

Model

DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT

Čaġčarān, Ġawr, Afghanistan

Senator Awesomepants wrote:
Yeah you're right, some of us shouldn't get naked. So I'll totally stop that getting naked thing. Because that's subjective and all.

I honestly don't think any of us should get naked. Not until we've been approved by some sort of physical appearance judgement system.

Dec 03 12 02:27 am Link

Photographer

Drew Smith Photography

Nottingham, England, United Kingdom

I think you were all beastly and mean to the nice man.

Dec 03 12 02:29 am Link

Model

Senator Awesomepants

Greenville, Indiana, US

Mary Thomson wrote:

I honestly don't think any of us should get naked. Not until we've been approved by some sort of physical appearance judgement system.

Oh totes. I totally believe that too. And will delete all my nudes if I'm not approved by some sort of physical appearance god in the next few seconds.

Also I'm always serious and NEVER sarcastic.

Dec 03 12 02:30 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Digital Grace Photog wrote:
Why the hell are you posting cell phone pics and all around noisy, dark, crappy, unedited images as part of your port.

Here is your problem:

You are browsing all the newbie ports... models who want to start out, don't have decent pictures, have no idea about what they can charge other than what their friends told them.

The requirements for models to be approved are more relaxed, because, well... they may have potential but had never a decent photoshoot... and that's how they come here, try their best and hope a decent photographer will start shooting with them.

Best!

udor

Dec 03 12 04:04 am Link

Photographer

Managing Light

Salem, Virginia, US

Drew Smith Photography wrote:
I think you were all beastly and mean to the nice man.

Ah ha!  I found it!  That's where you went wrong: ^^

Dec 03 12 12:34 pm Link

Model

Cynthia Serrano

Newark, New Jersey, US

Looknsee Photography wrote:
Congratulations on your first forum post.

Why the hell are you posting cell phone pics and all around noisy, dark, crappy, unedited images as part of your port.

This is nothing wrong with cell phone pictures.  They can be fun, spontaneous, and aesthetically pleasing.  Sure, there are technical quality limitations, but I would rather look at an interesting picture than a boring but technically perfect picture.  Aesthetics are more important than technology.

When I went to school, back in the dark (pre-digital) ages, ...
...  Beginning students learned basic exposure & darkroom on film SLRs,
...  Intermediate students learned the Zone System & advance darkroom
     techniques with 4x5 view cameras, and
...  Advanced students were given a $5, all plastic Diana camera with fixed
     focus, 4 exposure settings, and typically some light leaks.

So, stop being snobby.  The camera is a tool, and a great photographer is an artist.

You shouldn't get paid $5/hour let alone $50 to $100/hour to do a paid shoot.  No matter if it's nude or not.  You want to get paid to do a shoot, then set up a port worthy of getting paid for.  Something that shows your at the very least a little professional.

You don't get to decide who gets paid and who doesn't; you only get to decide whether you want to pay them or not.  But if they are getting people to pay them $500 an hour, more power to them.  If they aren't getting any job offers, they'll figure it out.  You don't have to inflict us with your prejudices.

Which leads me to my next point:  Just because you can get naked doesn't mean you should and most definitively don't post them as part of your profile.

That looks like the same point -- at least, the answer is the same.  If a model gets work posing nude, more power to them; if not, not.  You only get to decide whether you want to hire them.  Anything else is none of your business. 

Also, there  are hobbyists on this site, many of whom don't care whether they get paid.  Leave room for them to exist.

Shame on you for offering an unsolicited critique.  People get to decide what they want to put into their portfolios, not you.

This! popcorn

Dec 03 12 12:40 pm Link