Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Rose Bowl Threepeat

Photographer

Gianantonio

Posts: 8054

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

Did anyone else watch, in utter amazement, as the Badgers C.R.U.S.H.E.D Nebraska in the B1GTen Championship game?

I think the only person more surprised by the Badgers' performance was Nebraska coach, Bo Pelini.  big_smile

Seriously, I was expecting to be disappointed with another Badger loss, and seek solace in their going to a Junior Bowl (like the Maaco Bowl) and beating whoever they were paired up with.

But they scored 2 touchdowns within 8 seconds of play clock! 

I thought Martinez's incredible run for a TD a couple of plays later was going to cause Wisconsin's resolve to crumble.  But the Badgers took it in stride and went to the locker room at halftime with a 42 to 10 edge. 

Nebraska took possession to start the second half.  If they were hoping to turn the tables, their hopes were dashed on their first play from scrimmage when a Martinez throw was picked off.  On Wisconsin's next play, Monte√© Ball strolled in for another touchdown.  By the end of 3 it was 63 to 17.  Nebraska scored 14 in the 4th against a lot of 2nd string Wisconsin players.

Now let's hope they don't mimic their last 2 Rose Bowl performances!  smile  A win would be nice!

Dec 02 12 12:50 pm Link

Photographer

Orca Bay Images

Posts: 32234

Woodinville, Washington, US

That was an awesome wipeout. Wisconsin had *three* 100-yard rushers.

I'm surprised there weren't more fights in the game. That was a total humiliation.

Dec 02 12 01:20 pm Link

Photographer

Gianantonio

Posts: 8054

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

Orca Bay Images wrote:
That was an awesome wipeout. Wisconsin had *three* 100-yard rushers.

I'm surprised there weren't more fights in the game. That was a total humiliation.

I loved seeing Bo Pelini's expressions of, at first, anger and frustration, then by the end, complete disbelief in how poorly his players were performing. 

Yeah, 3 with 100+ yards--and 2 of them with 200+. 

And the Badger defense was awesome (except for a play or two...).  I think they had 3 sacs, 8 tackles (of rushers) for a loss, one forced fumble for a turnover and 2 picks (one a pick-six). 

Tempers were flying in the 3rd quarter!

Dec 02 12 01:52 pm Link

Photographer

GK photo

Posts: 28094

Laguna Beach, California, US

that game was so bad that i ended up watching cif hs football title games instead.

Dec 02 12 03:04 pm Link

Photographer

Orca Bay Images

Posts: 32234

Woodinville, Washington, US

GK photo wrote:
that game was so bad that i ended up watching cif hs football title games instead.

"Bad" is such a relative thing. I enjoyed the game to the end because I've watched Nebraska run up the score on way too many opponents over the decades.

Dec 02 12 03:52 pm Link

Photographer

Let There Be Light

Posts: 7657

Los Angeles, California, US

It was pretty obvious that Nebraska had quit at the start of the third quarter.

Dec 02 12 03:53 pm Link

Photographer

Gianantonio

Posts: 8054

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

Orca Bay Images wrote:

"Bad" is such a relative thing. I enjoyed the game to the end because I've watched Nebraska run up the score on way too many opponents over the decades.

The Badgers get accused of running up the score a lot.  But a local bank donates $1,000 per touchdown into a scholarship fund.  So they have a good reason to do so.

Dec 02 12 08:44 pm Link

Model

-Nicole-

Posts: 19209

Madison, Wisconsin, US

Gianantonio wrote:

The Badgers get accused of running up the score a lot.  But a local bank donates $1,000 per touchdown into a scholarship fund.  So they have a good reason to do so.

I didn't know about that. Very cool.

And On Wisconsin! big_smile

Dec 03 12 06:15 am Link

Photographer

Gianantonio

Posts: 8054

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

-Nicole- wrote:

I didn't know about that. Very cool.

And On Wisconsin! big_smile

Have you ever gone to a game at Camp Randall?  It's quite an experience!

Dec 03 12 11:24 am Link

Photographer

GK photo

Posts: 28094

Laguna Beach, California, US

not to harp on wis., but a 7-5 team in the rose bowl? osu aside, this is just silly. these conference championship games have gotten ridiculous. they've cost teams from playing for national championships, while (used to) allow them to, even if they lost their own championship games.

one more year of this nonsense. then at least there will be a mini tourney.

Dec 03 12 11:34 am Link

Photographer

Phantasy Photo

Posts: 448

Maryville, Tennessee, US

Gianantonio wrote:

Have you ever gone to a game at Camp Randall?  It's quite an experience!

Went to and graduated from UW.  Attended almost every home game while I was there...even though it was in the 70's and we sucked pretty bad then.

However, win or lose, Camp Randall is a great football venue.  I sort of miss my flask full of brandy and frostbite.

Dec 03 12 11:45 am Link

Photographer

Gianantonio

Posts: 8054

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

GK photo wrote:
not to harp on wis., but a 7-5 team in the rose bowl? osu aside, this is just silly. these conference championship games have gotten ridiculous. they've cost teams from playing for national championships, while (used to) allow them to, even if they lost their own championship games.

one more year of this nonsense. then at least there will be a mini tourney.

Yeah--kind of a weird situation with both OSU and Penn State post-season ineligible.  And who knows, maybe Wisc would have beat them during the season if those teams had the pressure of needing to win weighing on them. 

In any event, Wisc. didn't cause either of those teams to become ineligible.  They should have been spanked by Nebraska.  But they ended up winning.  And not winning like they won the first BigTen Championship game (basically avoided losing due to an MSU error).

Dec 03 12 12:51 pm Link

Photographer

Gianantonio

Posts: 8054

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

Phantasy Photo wrote:

Went to and graduated from UW.  Attended almost every home game while I was there...even though it was in the 70's and we sucked pretty bad then.

However, win or lose, Camp Randall is a great football venue.  I sort of miss my flask full of brandy and frostbite.

Were the students as rude then as they are now?  And I mean rude in a fun-spirited way--some healthy trash-talk.  Like when the other team fumbles, and the fumbler trots off the field, all the students chant "You fucked up!"  Anyone not wearing red in the student section gets pointed at and chants of "Asshole" follow them as they walk to their seat.  My favorite is the Call-Response done to Swing Town (quote from Wiki):  "Like other schools, Badger fans perform a call-and-response chant before kickoffs; however, theirs is much more vulgar than many others. The most famous chant is between the upper classmen sections and the lower classmen in Section "O". During Steve Miller Band's Swingtown, the song starts with a long "Ooooooh" which is followed a quick "sucks" by surrounding sections, then section "O" responds with a "Fuck You" then all sections reply with an "Eat Shit." Despite attempts by administration to rid the stadium of this chant in order to provide a more family-friendly atmosphere, profanities still abound at certain points during the game."

At this point, Bucky holds up signs saying "Fondue" and "Eat Chips" to give parents of little ones a plausible alternative explanation to "Daddy, what are they saying..."   And it's not done before every kick-off.  Just once (maybe) during the game and then in 5th Quarter.

Dec 03 12 01:02 pm Link

Photographer

Phantasy Photo

Posts: 448

Maryville, Tennessee, US

I haven't been to a game at Camp Randall for over ten years, so I can't speak to the chants you say they do now.

In my day, we didn't do chants, but we did use colorful language in the student section with great frequency.  We wouldn't have done that around younger kids, however, so that's apparently changed.

Dec 03 12 01:29 pm Link

Photographer

Gianantonio

Posts: 8054

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

Phantasy Photo wrote:
I haven't been to a game at Camp Randall for over ten years, so I can't speak to the chants you say they do now.

In my day, we didn't do chants, but we did use colorful language in the student section with great frequency.  We wouldn't have done that around younger kids, however, so that's apparently changed.

Yeah--and I'm sure Camp Randall isn't where the young kids first hear those words...  big_smile

Dec 03 12 03:30 pm Link