Forums > Photography Talk > Camera Sensor cleaning?

Retoucher

PWF Retouch

Jacksonville, North Carolina, US

Anyone know off the top of their head how much the average camera cleaning is at a dedicated camera store? I've got some dust in mine and I know I could probably do it myself, but I know I'll probably screw up my camera.

Dec 03 12 09:51 pm Link

Photographer

Doug Jantz

Tulsa, Oklahoma, US

PWF Retouch wrote:
Anyone know off the top of their head how much the average camera cleaning is at a dedicated camera store? I've got some dust in mine and I know I could probably do it myself, but I know I'll probably screw up my camera.

I just had my D700 cleaned here, sensor, focus screen.  $95

I was going to send to Nikon but seems it is no faster for those of us with NPS and the shipping was going to cost me $92 with insurance

Dec 03 12 10:01 pm Link

Photographer

eos3_300

Brooklyn, New York, US

Dec 03 12 10:26 pm Link

Photographer

Instinct Images

San Diego, California, US

If it's just a little dust try a Rocket Blower to get rid of it. I use it about once a month and it lets me put off doing a sensor clean for quite a while.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/2 … lower.html

Dec 03 12 10:30 pm Link

Photographer

Barely StL

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

A local camera store in St. Louis charges $50. A local repair shop charges $90.

Dec 03 12 10:35 pm Link

Retoucher

PWF Retouch

Awesome guys! Thanks for the input. I plan on calling the store here tomorrow, but I didn't want "sticker shock" when they told me a price

Dec 03 12 10:38 pm Link

Photographer

RG Insights

Maryland Heights, Missouri, US

I charge $35 per camera body, $10 for each lens.  This is a whole-camera cleaning (no disassembly or repair work performed).

You may wonder why I charge for lens cleaning and what is involved.  The fact is, you can clean a camera sensor, but if you slap a lens on with dust and dirt in the barrel (in particular on zoom lenses), you can cause dirt transference into the mirror box area and that can get deposited upon the sensor again.

I actually vacuum the interior of the lens barrels at all accessible points to get out as much loose dirt and dust as possible, then I clean the front and rear objective lenses, filters, caps, etc.

On camera bodies, I clean the viewfinder, under any pop-up flashes, cf/sd sockets, back panel screens, contact points, fresnel glass, reflex mirrors, mirror box area, and the sensor itself, of course.

My turn-around is normally 48 hours, though I can get equipment done same-day or within 24 hours, conditions permitting, and I only charge an extra $10 for rush service.

If you are in the St. Louis, Missouri Metropolitan area, just PM me on here and we can set up your appointment.

Dec 03 12 10:48 pm Link

Retoucher

PWF Retouch

RG Insights wrote:
I charge $35 per camera body, $10 for each lens.  This is a whole-camera cleaning (no disassembly or repair work performed).

You may wonder why I charge for lens cleaning and what is involved.  The fact is, you can clean a camera sensor, but if you slap a lens on with dust and dirt in the barrel (in particular on zoom lenses), you can cause dirt transference into the mirror box area and that can get deposited upon the sensor again.

I actually vacuum the interior of the lens barrels at all accessible points to get out as much loose dirt and dust as possible, then I clean the front and rear objective lenses, filters, caps, etc.

On camera bodies, I clean the viewfinder, under any pop-up flashes, cf/sd sockets, back panel screens, contact points, fresnel glass, reflex mirrors, mirror box area, and the sensor itself, of course.

My turn-around is normally 48 hours, though I can get equipment done same-day or within 24 hours, conditions permitting, and I only charge an extra $10 for rush service.

If you are in the St. Louis, Missouri Metropolitan area, just PM me on here and we can set up your appointment.

Wish I was. That's really affordable. Hopefully the shop here is . It's an hour and a half away, so I need to figure gas in my truck into the cost

Dec 03 12 10:57 pm Link

Photographer

Image Works Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8205/8242962317_38693182a5_q.jpg
Try the rocket blower first if that doesn't work then let someone with experience do it. I made the mistake once of doing it with a kit that left glue on the sensor and oil. Cost way more to get it fix. I heard of shops do it for $50. $95 seems too over priced.

Dec 03 12 11:14 pm Link

Photographer

Keith Allen Phillips

Sacramento, California, US

PWF Retouch wrote:
Wish I was. That's really affordable. Hopefully the shop here is . It's an hour and a half away, so I need to figure gas in my truck into the cost

You're seriously going to drive an hour and a half each way AND pay someone to do what you can easily do yourself? I know it seems like a big deal but it isn't. I was freaking out about it the first couple of times I did it myself but it only takes a couple of times to realize it isn't that big of a deal. $15 for some PEC-Pads and Eclipse cleaning fluid will last you for a couple of years.

Dec 03 12 11:19 pm Link

Retoucher

PWF Retouch

$15 for some PEC-Pads and Eclipse cleaning fluid will last you for a couple of years.

I'll try that first, I think. I should be able to get that stuff locally. I am awful about instant gratification and will never be able to wait on shipping for some cleaning materials

Dec 03 12 11:23 pm Link

Photographer

Extrosy

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

http://www.dust-aid.com/

It seems terrifying, but they actually work really well.

http://www.dust-aid.com/images/dust-aid_combo_lg_08.jpg

Dec 03 12 11:41 pm Link