Retoucher

Dream Fantasy Photos

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

I would like to try my hand at body painting.  Can you recommend the kind of paint to use?  I imagine the air brush systems are very expensive.  I'd like to start with using bristle brushes.  Any hints on how to get the proper information to get started would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

Dec 06 12 10:21 am Link

Makeup Artist

Dorota MUA

Leeds, England, United Kingdom

I haven't got experience with airbrush paints in bodypainting, but paints to use with  brushes: I can recommend Kryolan Aqua-colour, Ben Nye, Mehron, Graftobian.

Dec 06 12 10:34 am Link

Body Painter

BodyPainter Rich

Sacramento, California, US

A great start would be to do a search of this forum. There is a TON of information on the subject.

After that, you might consider a class or seminar. The FABAIC convention is A great place to learn if you can afford to make the trip.

Dec 06 12 08:05 pm Link

Body Painter

Tim Gratton

Dubbo, New South Wales, Australia

Be artistic... First... Photographer second! smile

Dec 11 12 03:25 am Link

Photographer

David Stone Imaging

Seattle, Washington, US

I recently started, and researched things quite a bit.  I was still left puzzled.  I finally went to a costume store that sold the make up used for body paint, and the store owner educated me a lot...and was able to pull out samples and demonstrate things.  This is where my learning really took place.

Your first choice is to either go with oil base or water based make-up.  Each has their tradeoffs.  If perspiration is an issue at all...or water is involved...oil based is the only real solution.  The downside is that it doesn't clean up as easy as water-based.  You will also need to seal the oil based paint with a special powder that is sold so that it doesn't smear...as it won't dry like the water-based does.

The rest is up to you now.  There are numerous opinions about what brands are best.  Get a couple of colors and try them out.  Then you will have a baseline to understand what other bodypainters are talking about.  You can get started for less than $20.

Dec 11 12 05:10 am Link