Forums > General Industry > The New Faux Polaroid Terminology

Photographer

salvatori.

Bellefonte, Pennsylvania, US

I am aware that the word 'Polaroid' has morphed from a brand name to something different; at least that is my impression.

IMHO, the word now is a catchphrase for any pic that seems 'raw' (not the digital file term, but stark and un-retouched). I see nothing wrong with this, necessarily. I see pics that models have posted that were obviously shot digitally, and just have a polaroid look, either done as part of the shooting or in post.

Was wondering if the word has permeated fields such as editorial, fashion, etc., in the way that an agency would say, 'send us some polaroids' and they would see digital pics.

Again, nothing wrong with that, just wondering what people think when they here a polaroid. Even photographers on here who shoot on Instax call them polaroids on occasion.

Dec 06 12 01:33 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Scanlon

Encino, California, US

Havn't heard it being used like that other than to mean that you are trying to recreate to look of an instant photo.

Dec 06 12 02:06 pm Link

Photographer

Mortonovich

San Diego, California, US

Hell, I hear people say "Let me shoot a Polaroid of that . . . ."
and then use their iPhone and apply an Instagram filter.

Dec 06 12 02:31 pm Link

Photographer

Carlos Occidental

Glendora, California, US

Hmm.  Polaroid means to me any company's instant film.

Dec 06 12 02:33 pm Link

Photographer

salvatori.

Bellefonte, Pennsylvania, US

Carlos Occidental wrote:
Hmm.  Polaroid means to me any company's instant film.

This is what I think a lot of people would say instead of 'Instax.' So maybe the slippery slope goes even further into what we have now

Dec 06 12 02:59 pm Link

Photographer

grandart

Chicago, Illinois, US

But the reality  is that some of the new Polaroid materials need to be developed in total darkness for at least 5 minutes. Nothing instant about that!!

Dec 06 12 03:31 pm Link

Photographer

Alicia Hansen Photo

Durango, Colorado, US

When I think of the word "polaroid", I think of it in a way such as an agency requesting "polaroids" of a model. Not necessarilly an actual polaroid picture. I most often think of the term "polaroids" when referring to retouch-free/makeup-free/basic snapshots to show a model's features in the raw.
They might be film. They might be digital.
Examples.

That's what I think of personally, anyway.

Dec 07 12 09:32 pm Link

Photographer

Stanley L Moore

Houston, Texas, US

As an old fart Polaroid means to me a real Polaroid picture. But nowadays a digital pics are instant. Back in the day I took tons of SX 70 sbots. Mostly to show the model what we were doing. I still have a lot of them lying around the house. I just now a days the equivalent is a mirror photo pic.

Dec 08 12 02:43 am Link

guide forum

Photographer

Robb Mann

Baltimore, Maryland, US

In many ways a cell phone is the new poloroid. You can take a pic and instantly see it, cell phones can also replicate the 'look' of actual poloroids.

Interestingly, impossible project are engineering a poloroid 'printer' for cell pics. You take the photo, display it on your cell phone, then take a picture of the image on the cell phone with your 'printer'.

Dec 09 12 06:12 am Link

Photographer

JMERYLLMAN

San Antonio, Texas, US

Polaroids nowadays for an agency means an unretouched snap shot, headshot, fullbody and profile.  No or very little make-up.  No artificial lighting using a phone camera or point and shoot.

Dec 15 12 10:51 pm Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

Santa Ana, California, US

Kind of depends upon the context within which it is used.

Dec 15 12 11:10 pm Link

Photographer

MN camera

Saint Paul, Minnesota, US

Fauxlaroid?

Dec 16 12 08:55 am Link

Photographer

Porsche Jones

Portsmouth, New Hampshire, US

This is a really confusing usage of "polaroid."

To make matters worse, I have (and use) one of the Polaroid digital cameras that makes instant prints.

Dec 16 12 05:25 pm Link

Photographer

Andrew Thomas Evans

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

Porsche Jones wrote:
To make matters worse, I have (and use) one of the Polaroid digital cameras that makes instant prints.

I'm picking one of those up sometime, seems like something fun to have around.

smile

Andrew Thomas Evans
www.andrewthomasevans.com

Dec 16 12 05:42 pm Link

Photographer

MMR Digital

Doylestown, Pennsylvania, US

MN camera wrote:
Fauxlaroid?

+1 This.

Nice coin of a new word btw.

Dec 16 12 05:50 pm Link

Photographer

M Pandolfo Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

Alicia Hansen Photo wrote:
When I think of the word "polaroid", I think of it in a way such as an agency requesting "polaroids" of a model. Not necessarilly an actual polaroid picture. I most often think of the term "polaroids" when referring to retouch-free/makeup-free/basic snapshots to show a model's features in the raw.
They might be film. They might be digital.

That's what I think of personally, anyway.

+1.

That's what I think when I hear the term used. As in, "Could you show us a few Polaroids..."

The requester wants to see what the model looks like "straight out of the camera."

Dec 16 12 05:52 pm Link

Photographer

AJ_In_Atlanta

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I still here the term still used in fashion agencies and most don't actually want you to shoot Polaroids.  That we be fairly expensive these days

Dec 16 12 05:55 pm Link