Photographer

Lohkee

Maricopa, Arizona, US

studio36uk wrote:
And the next sound you will hear is - - -

thump-thump              thump-thump

Studio36

Probably.

I mean, I kinda see where GK is coming from. A lot of assumptions are being made based on initial reports. Well, that is what we do on MM when breaking stories are, well, breaking. We love to be armchair quarterbacks. No harm in that.

That said, I still have very strong feelings about pranking any type of emergency service. That alone should get these DJ's off the air. What the hell were they thinking?

We had a rash of incidents over here a while back when people were gaming the phone system and causing SWAT teams to roll on what they believed to be very dangerous calls to the homes of people in the night time. SWAT is a paramilitary unit - these folks don't fuck around, they have serious firepower, and well, they don't fuck around. How anyone (not talking about you GK) could think this kind of shit is "funny" is just utterly disgusting and incomprehensible. 

Alan Funt knew where **not** to cross the line and many of his pranks were really quite funny. You don't have to endanger people to get a chuckle!

Dec 07 12 12:34 pm Link

Photographer

Eros Fine Art Photo

Torrance, California, US

GK photo wrote:
wow, the supposition in this thread is world class.

8 to 5 her death had nothing to do with this prank. the poor girl's family must be pleased to have this international news now.

I'm gonna' guess she probably was afraid of disciplinary action from the hospital, as well as the humiliation associated with the call.  That would be reason enough to push over the edge and make her feel like there was no point in living any longer. 

If she was my family member, I'd hold the DJ's accountable and liable. Why not?

People die in traffic collisions every day.  They're unintentional acts that result in someone's death.  If you're the cause of the person's death, regardless if you had no intent to do so, you're still liable.  I see this situation the same way.

Dec 07 12 12:36 pm Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Tavai, Sigave, Wallis and Futuna

Lohkee wrote:
Alan Funt knew where **not** to cross the line and many of his pranks were really quite funny. You don't have to endanger people to get a chuckle!

See: "sharking"    LOL

Studio36

Dec 07 12 12:45 pm Link

Photographer

GK photo

Laguna Beach, California, US

Eros Fine Art Photo wrote:

I'm gonna' guess she probably was afraid of disciplinary action from the hospital, as well as the humiliation associated with the call.  That would be reason enough to push over the edge and make her feel like there was no point in living any longer. 

If she was my family member, I'd hold the DJ's accountable and liable. Why not?

People die in traffic collisions every day.  They're unintentional acts that result in someone's death.  If you're the cause of the person's death, regardless if you had no intent to do so, you're still liable.  I see this situation the same way.

to your first point. that is some VERY heavy supposition. i'm kind of hoping you were joking there. suicidal people tend to have thoughts for a while. they don't tend to just make a rash decision to take their own life.

point b/c: why? it's one thing to accidentally kill someone via a moving vehicle. but through the result of a prank phone call? man, stretch armstrong calls that rubbery.

again, the facts aren't even out. when they do come out, i hardly think this will have had anything to do with that phone call, and all this talk will be moot. then a family will be left to deal with the loss of a member, and a rabid media that is digging into hers (and their) whole lives.

Dec 07 12 12:54 pm Link

Photographer

Top Level Studio

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

studio36uk wrote:

See: "sharking"    LOL

That kind of sharking is just rude, and makes women paranoid, and less likely to wear tube tops.

This kind of sharking seems more funny to me, even if you can only do it with friends, and not very often:

http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1397

Dec 07 12 12:56 pm Link

Photographer

RINALDI

Eindhoven, Noord-Brabant, Netherlands

Very sad news indeed. Curious about the next steps, I bet this story will have a sequel. Maybe an inquiry on the Ozzie DJ's?

---
RINALDI
Portfolio
The View on Facebook

Dec 07 12 01:03 pm Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Tavai, Sigave, Wallis and Futuna

RINALDI wrote:
Very sad news indeed. Curious about the next steps, I bet this story will have a sequel. Maybe an inquiry on the Ozzie DJ's?

RINALDI

The next important step will be a Coroner's inquest. That will determine, for the official records, the cause and circumstances surrounding the death. The circumstances, as opposed to the actual cause, in a suicide, may well examine the roll any stressful pre-events contributed to the deceased's state of mind. That, in turn, may involve a forensic psych assessment, and any such assessment will almost certainly include the roll and effects of the DJ's prank.

Studio36

Dec 07 12 04:32 pm Link

Photographer

Lawrence Guy

San Diego Country Estates, California, US

Am I the only one who thinks it would be kind of funny if the Queen, the nurse and the media were pranking the DJ's?

That would be absolutely awesome.

Taking it at face value, though, I agree with the poster who commented that if it was suicide there was a lot more going on than this phone call. I don't blame the DJs for anything more than being lame.

Dec 07 12 05:10 pm Link

Photographer

Stay Puft

Ofu, Manu'a, American Samoa

No way DJs are to blame for this death. If you commit suicide over getting in trouble at work then you were close to the edge to begin with.

The nurse was the one who did the most wrong here by divulging information she shouldn't have. I don't know what the laws are in the UK, but in the US her actions were a clear violation of HIPAA.

Dec 07 12 06:29 pm Link

Model

Bella la Bell

Kansas City, Missouri, US

Cait Chan wrote:

She probably thought her life and career were over. She unwittingly gave out confidential information about the royals and on top of it probably feared a hell of a backlash from the public.
I'm sure even working with the royals the employees of the hospital were briefed in confidentiality and I'm sure even had to sign agreements.  Also, think of the embarrassment among her peers and the public. I'm sure it'd be devastating.

This wasnt such a simple prank.

This is what I think happened as well

Dec 07 12 09:39 pm Link

Photographer

Jirrupin

Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia

the dead nurse simply transferred the call to the ward, the other one that talked at length with the DJs and divulged all the details of Kate's condition has managed not to kill herself, she faces much greater humiliation than the dead nurse was ever likely to encounter so i really don't see how you can push cause and effect in any way shape or form. She was obviously in a very fragile mental state at her best, the result was not intended or in any way reasonably foreseeable, as far as crank calls go it was a VERY mild one, especially by British standards.

Dec 07 12 10:17 pm Link

Photographer

Eros Fine Art Photo

Torrance, California, US

GK photo wrote:

to your first point. that is some VERY heavy supposition. i'm kind of hoping you were joking there. suicidal people tend to have thoughts for a while. they don't tend to just make a rash decision to take their own life.

point b/c: why? it's one thing to accidentally kill someone via a moving vehicle. but through the result of a prank phone call? man, stretch armstrong calls that rubbery.

again, the facts aren't even out. when they do come out, i hardly think this will have had anything to do with that phone call, and all this talk will be moot. then a family will be left to deal with the loss of a member, and a rabid media that is digging into hers (and their) whole lives.

Yeah...that's why I said it "pushed her over the edge".  I completely disagree with your notion that people who commit suicide have thought about it for a while however. 

I've worked in emergency services for over 30 years and have responded to countless suicides involving every method.  I've also taken classes in crisis negotiations and even watched a man fall to his death from a 13-story window.  So I'd say I know a bit about what I'm talking about. 

In a lot of cases I've seen, the person who committed suicide learned something devastating to them; i.e. their spouse cheated on them, they were charged with a crime and facing jail, they learned they had a terminal disease, etc.  The overwhelming anguish over their situation caused them to believe they would never recover from the pain they were feeling and to think death would be better than facing what was ahead of them.

This nurse became part of an embarrassing international news story.  It's more than reasonable to think her death immediately after the media frenzy is far more than coincidental...contrary to your condescending beliefs.

Dec 07 12 11:22 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Yeah...that's why I said it "pushed her over the edge".  I completely disagree with your notion that people who commit suicide have thought about it for a while however. 

I've worked in emergency services for over 30 years and have responded to countless suicides involving every method.  I've also taken classes in crisis negotiations and even watched a man fall to his death from a 13-story window.  So I'd say I know a bit about what I'm talking about. 

In a lot of cases I've seen, the person who committed suicide learned something devastating to them; i.e. their spouse cheated on them, they were charged with a crime and facing jail, they learned they had a terminal disease, etc.  The overwhelming anguish over their situation caused them to believe they would never recover from the pain they were feeling and to think death would be better than facing what was ahead of them.

This nurse became part of an embarrassing international news story.  It's more than reasonable to think her death immediately after the media frenzy is far more than coincidental...contrary to your condescending beliefs.

+1

Dec 07 12 11:30 pm Link

Photographer

GK photo

Laguna Beach, California, US

8 to 5

Dec 08 12 12:49 am Link

Photographer

photoimager

Stoke-on-Trent, England, United Kingdom

Alec Dealty wrote:
No way DJs are to blame for this death. If you commit suicide over getting in trouble at work then you were close to the edge to begin with.

Nope, some people take their work very seriously. Some cultures have specific codes of behaviour.

Also, even if your inference was correct, are you saying that it is acceptable to push someone over the edge ?

Dec 08 12 01:18 am Link

Photographer

Eros Fine Art Photo

Torrance, California, US

GK photo wrote:
8 to 5

Based on???...

By the way, Reuters called it a suicide in this article...

http://news.yahoo.com/nurse-took-prank- … tsrc=yahoo

And from what I've read, she was in the nurse's lounge at the hospital when she died; at a relatively young age 46. 

Now,  what can we find at hospitals in plentiful amounts?  Well...sure, bed pans are common...but what do they have there that could kill someone?   It starts with an "N". 

"Nnnn"...

"Nar..."  C-mon on, you can do it big fella'...

"Narcotics" YES!

So, is it completely out of the realm of possibility she OD'd in the heat of the moment?

Dec 08 12 01:23 am Link

Photographer

photoimager

Stoke-on-Trent, England, United Kingdom

Maybe people will wake up to the fact that a prank is only a prank when you know the people concerned. As far as I'm aware the perpetrators of the act did not have any personal knowledge of the people involved. Without that personal knowledge you have no idea of the possible consequences of your actions, nor do you actually have a 'moral right' to be able to do such things.

'Pranks' like this are, in many ways, another form of bullying. Unfortunately, plenty of people have been driven to their deaths by bullies.

Dec 08 12 01:27 am Link

Photographer

Stay Puft

photoimager wrote:

Nope, some people take their work very seriously. Some cultures have specific codes of behaviour.

Also, even if your inference was correct, are you saying that it is acceptable to push someone over the edge ?

No, I was saying that if someone is close to the edge, anything could push them over, like having to wait in a long line at a supermarket. If that happened, do we blame the cashier for the death for being slow?

In my opinion, people are far to eager to look for a scapegoat. The person who actually decided to take a life is dead.

My point about her being guilty of divulging information is obviously incorrect, though, if she was the nurse who simply transferred the call.

Dec 08 12 04:57 am Link

Photographer

In Balance Photography

Boston, Massachusetts, US

This is just another no-winners situation. There's nothing to be done now that someone would go "Wow - that's a really good response to this whole situation."

Do the pranksters need rehabilitation? Probably not - I'm guessing they have learned their lesson.

Do the pranksters need punishment to send a message to all other pranksters? Probably not - I'm guessing that prank phone calls aren't a major issue for any nation.

Does the other nurse need punishment? The government is completely capable of destroying her career, but to what end? There would be one less nurse to help people with their medical issues.

There are survivors to this incident - the family of the nurse that passed, and the nurse that actually spoke on the phone. If any more energy or effort is going to be put into redressing this incident, it should probably be to comfort & support the family that experienced the loss, and to make sure that we don't lose a nurse over what essentially is a one time never to occur again incident.

Dec 08 12 05:18 am Link

Photographer

John Photography

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia

What makes me so mad is the radio stations that do these kind of pranks take no responsibility for the actions of the CRETINS that they hire.. The worst they get is a bit of counselling.

Give me a fucking break.

Radio stations like TV should have some legal standards by which their on air staff have to abide. That's my  2c worth.

Dec 08 12 05:59 am Link

Photographer

R A V E N D R I V E

New York, New York, US

so given the very quickly presented revelations, aside from the coincidence why is this news again?

this is like saying some teenage wrist cutter killed herself because of the math test. No, she was just a cutter.

Dec 08 12 11:28 am Link

Photographer

Jim Ball

Frontenac, Kansas, US

The real problem here is the deplorable acceptance by some on this forum, and large numbers of the general public, who support the actions of these two morons, and others of their ilk by either agreeing with their right to 'prank' anyone they choose or support them by being fans of this type of 'lowest common denominator' sleazy entertainment.

I have never been a fan of people who try to make themselves look good by making others look bad or foolish.  hmm

Dec 08 12 11:57 am Link

Body Painter

Monad Studios

Santa Rosa, California, US

DOUGLASFOTOS wrote:

When I read the Yahoo story...It just said the Nurse was found dead...How did she die? Natural Causes..or Suicide? IT does not say....

Could she have been killed by agents of the royal family?  Let's start a rumour!

Dec 08 12 12:01 pm Link

Photographer

Damon Strong

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada

She must have had other issues going on in her life to make her kill herself.  Nobody knew who she was until she was dead.

Dec 08 12 12:44 pm Link

Photographer

Stay Puft

Damon Strong wrote:
She must have had other issues going on in her life to make her kill herself.  Nobody knew who she was until she was dead.

This is true. They did not release her name to the public as having any involvement with the prank until after she was dead.

So, public humiliation was not the cause.

Dec 08 12 01:05 pm Link

Photographer

Eros Fine Art Photo

Torrance, California, US

Alec Dealty wrote:

This is true. They did not release her name to the public as having any involvement with the prank until after she was dead.

So no one ever commits suicide at the thought of possibly losing their job?

Dec 08 12 01:07 pm Link

Photographer

Stay Puft

Alec Dealty wrote:

So no one ever commits suicide at the thought of possibly losing their job?

That's an excellent non sequitur.

Dec 08 12 01:11 pm Link

Photographer

Eros Fine Art Photo

Torrance, California, US

Alec Dealty wrote:

That's an excellent non sequitur.

If my comment is following the line of comments before the one I quoted, then it's not a non sequitur.  Some people here are ruling out the possibility this was a suicide.  The argument came up her name hadn't been released to the media before she died, so in their mind that supports the idea she had bigger troubles to begin with.

My argument to that, is that the possibility of losing her job, given her err in judgement and subsequent outcome, probably did push her over the edge.  We have no idea what was said to her by hospital administrators or supervisors, or the level of outrage they might have expressed to her for transferring the call. 

So, it's perfectly possible she took this all in and felt things were going to get far worse before they got better.  That would be reason enough, even if she never expressed the desire to commit suicide before, for her to go to such an extreme measure.  She didn't have to wait for the media backlash and her name being exposed.  She probably figured that was going to come out eventually and felt devastated by it.

It's not outside the realm of possibility.

Dec 08 12 01:34 pm Link

Photographer

Stay Puft

If my comment is following the line of comments before the one I quoted, then it's not a non sequitur.

Then why did you quote me?

In any case, sure, someone might be pushed over the edge by the fear of losing their job.

But a bunch of other stuff in their life probably got them close to the edge to begin with. Claiming that the final straw that broke the camel's back is entirely responsible for the injury is obviously logically fallacious.

Dec 08 12 01:43 pm Link

Photographer

Eros Fine Art Photo

Torrance, California, US

Alec Dealty wrote:
Then why did you quote me?

Because I didn't feel the need to repeat every post above yours.

Alec Dealty wrote:
In any case, sure, someone might be pushed over the edge by the fear of losing their job.

But a bunch of other stuff in their life probably got them close to the edge to begin with. Claiming that the final straw that broke the camel's back is entirely responsible for the injury is obviously logically fallacious.

How much experience do you have with this stuff?  As I said in another post, I respond to suicides and have been to classes on it.  Yes, a single event can push someone over the edge, regardless if they've ever thought of suicide before. 

Take a parent for example.  Let's say their child dies tragically.  Prior to that, the parent never once thought of dying.  But a traumatic event like that could easily cause them to snap and at the very least cause them to contemplate suicide.  I've seen the same thing happen when people have been confronted with the thought of losing their jobs, so that's why I feel the way I do about. 

So just because YOU might not respond that way to bad news doesn't mean others won't. 

By the way, the forecast says there's a possibility of rain.  You might want to turn your nose down a bit so you don't accidentally drown.

Dec 08 12 02:05 pm Link

Model

egyptmachine

El Paso, Texas, US

This kinda reminds of me of that one radio stunt they did where that woman ended up water poisoning herself, smh.  I'm sure if was just coincidence of these two morons calling the wrong place at the wrong time type deal, which doesn't' excuse it. Its extremely sad, I feel bad for that chicks family, what a shame.

Dec 08 12 02:21 pm Link

Photographer

Sobe

Miami Beach, Florida, US

All fun n games till someone gets there feeling hurt,or life in this case,sad.

Dec 08 12 03:00 pm Link

Model

Saedcantas

Saint Saviour, Saint Saviour, United Kingdom

+1

I'm amazed that so many people here instantly assume she must have had some serious ongoing crazy problems in order to commit suicide over something like this?!

I can sit here and say that if it was me I don't think I'd react that way, but you just don't know till a disaster or a crisis falls on your plate how you personally will take it.
I can imagine how a self concious or anxious type of person could easily view the whole incident with themselves as the failure at the centre. An international news story, involving the royal family, involving your job, involving a mistake... I can see that becoming rapidly overwhelming for some people.

Dec 08 12 03:42 pm Link

Photographer

Stay Puft

How much experience do you have with this stuff?  As I said in another post, I respond to suicides and have been to classes on it.  Yes, a single event can push someone over the edge, regardless if they've ever thought of suicide before. 

Take a parent for example.  Let's say their child dies tragically.  Prior to that, the parent never once thought of dying.  But a traumatic event like that could easily cause them to snap and at the very least cause them to contemplate suicide.  I've seen the same thing happen when people have been confronted with the thought of losing their jobs, so that's why I feel the way I do about. 

So just because YOU might not respond that way to bad news doesn't mean others won't. 

By the way, the forecast says there's a possibility of rain.  You might want to turn your nose down a bit so you don't accidentally drown.

Don't worry, your personal attack won't distract me any more than your non sequitur.

A child dying is a little different than forwarding a prank phone call to someone else accidentally. The nurse who killed herself didn't do anything wrong. The other nurse, who gave out information she should not have, clearly did do something wrong.

You are stretching the facts and speculating heavily in a vain effort to defend your earlier theory, and ignoring newly discovered facts and simple logic in an attempt to find a scapegoat that you can be angry at.

And, by the way, responding to suicides gives you zero credibility as a psychologist, just like watching NASCAR or even serving in the pit crew would give you zero credibility as a race car driver. So I would say that you haven't given any evidence (yet) that you know anything more than an average Joe like me about the subject.

Dec 08 12 05:17 pm Link

Photographer

Moore Photo Graphix

Washington, District of Columbia, US

AdelaideJohn1967 wrote:
What makes me so mad is the radio stations that do these kind of pranks take no responsibility for the actions of the CRETINS that they hire.. The worst they get is a bit of counselling.

Give me a fucking break.

Radio stations like TV should have some legal standards by which their on air staff have to abide. That's my  2c worth.

+1

Another example of how Freedom of Speech doesn't equal Freedom From The Consequences of Your Speech!

Dec 08 12 05:20 pm Link

Photographer

Allen Carbon

Wellington, Wellington, New Zealand

I'm kinda at odds with this.
Though infinitely sad it was that she committed suicide (supposedly)  I don't believe that it was just because of the prank. Infact i think that it's just really easy to throw in a scapegoat just to help deal with things

I think that pranks are funny and the fundamental reason for jokes can't be changed just because one person may disagree with it.

I do respect that there is a terrible loss in this family but i don't think it's because of the joke. I believe that it may have been the lass straw to a series of unfortunate circumstance that may have caused it.

If it was because of the joke, then i wouldn't loose respect for the presenters -who were only doing their job - but i would, unfortunately, loose respect for the dead mom.

That's why i don't think it's because of the prank. If it is then what a terrible mom she is leaving her kids to fend for themselves just because she feels ashamed.

It's sad that she is dead yes. But it is tragic that those kids no longer have a mom.
The bigger consequence and question should be the moms commitment to her kids.
cause otherwise she would have put her ego and the royal family above her own children.

Yes i know that i'm really rough right now but it's what a lot of people are thinking.

Dec 08 12 07:03 pm Link

Photographer

MMR Creative Services

Doylestown, Pennsylvania, US

We're still waiting -in the US, the tax payers (remembers us, No you don't) to hear from our re-elected community organizer as to why his Ambassador and three other men were killed over a protest about a video that nobody ever saw until after the community organizer sent people out to say this is what happened...

Nah. This story involves the "Royals".

Dec 08 12 07:11 pm Link

Makeup Artist

T

Washington, District of Columbia, US

MMR Digital wrote:
We're still waiting -in the US, the tax payers (remembers us, No you don't) to hear from our re-elected community organizer as to why his Ambassador and three other men were killed over a protest about a video that nobody ever saw until after the community organizer sent people out to say this is what happened...

Nah. This story involves the "Royals".

https://ct.fra.bz/ol/fz/sw/i59/2/11/6/frabz-butthurt-republicans-butthurt-republicans-everywhere-f720f5.jpg

Dec 08 12 07:41 pm Link

Photographer

Gianantonio

Turin, Piemonte, Italy

Tim Little Photography wrote:
"In a statement afterwards, 2Day FM said that it "sincerely apologises for any inconvenience caused by the inquiry".

"It added: "The radio segment was done with the best intentions..."

What a pathetic statement given the death of a good person. Some people cannot take ridicule. The radio jocks should be fired.

:eyeroll:

I don't think having the nurse commit suicide could have been expected here.  Yes--it's a tragedy.  But there was likely something else in play, too--with the nurse prior to this prank.  I don't think the DJs should be fired for something like this.

Dec 08 12 08:03 pm Link